• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Friday May 5, 2017

12 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Watch out for the Internet comments.

Even if there is a good reason to never read the comments.  Nothing good ever came out of doing that.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Elliot seems a bit scatterbrained here, trying to make sense of the spellbook, but it's not going well so she's risking looking at youtube comments again.

He is definitely procrastinating, but I'm not entirely sure what is the thing he wants to avoid. Thinking about not transforming? Thinking about magic reset? Reading the comments? Something we don't know about?

Not sure why he doesn't just try that spell; sure, he might still not understand what it does, but it's about seeing something - there shouldn't be any risk.

And not sure why he would need to read those comments. Although on his place I would be interested too.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He is definitely procrastinating, but I'm not entirely sure what is the thing he wants to avoid. Thinking about not transforming? Thinking about magic reset? Reading the comments? Something we don't know about?

As to his procrastination, I think it all stems from the same problem: being unwilling to think about his gender identity. For one thing, it is introspection, and we know Elliot doesn't like to do that. And searching the comments for superheroine sightings relates directly to that and would only set him to thinking about his gender identity again.

Apart from that: as to not wanting to read the comments, I can completely relate to that. And sometimes they are even more of a nightmare if you are a moderator because then it is also your responsibility to judge what may be out of line and what should be done if so. *sigh*

10 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Never put off unitl tomorrow that which can be avoided until next month

Do that long enough and "Bad Things" will happen

Just now, Aura Guardian said:

Elliot really should call Tedd now (or at least e-mail him with "reply in person") to schedule that super-eyes spell examination

I know Elliot had just spent an afternoon showing Tedd his Mall Girl form and getting it scanned for the TFG, but I'm wondering it Elliot isn't too keen on playing around with magic in front of Tedd when they believe that a system change might be imminent. I know I'd be worried about it being rude to go "Hey Tedd, can you look at me while I do this spell so you can tell me in plain English what it does?" when it may end up being unusable in a day or so.

Why is this Friday comic different from all other Friday comics?

Duck if I know. But instead of chowing down some more bitter herbs, I'm going to write about it anyway.

Dan pasted two panels twice each, but that's to get across the idea that Elliot is hesitating. The designs for the four really different panels all have different POVs and different backgrounds.

Panel One

We're looking up at Blonde Elliot sitting on her bed from low down in front of Ellen's bed, maybe at Brownie height. From Dan's commentary, the text box with the arrow pointing to...hmmm...wherever is making sure we know Blonde Elliot is Elliot. Plus, maybe, this is what the magic book is trying to tell Elliot?

If you guesstimate where her nipples are and draw a line through them, they're several inches above the top of the headboard.

Panel Two

Whoa, that headboard got taller! Now the nipple line is below the top of the headboard. Maybe the headboard is trying to get a better look? A look in the book. Yes, that must be it. Wasn't tall enough to see inside the book in that first panel. We're looking from about the same level as the top of the headboard now.

Elliot admits to himself he really doesn't need to transform.

Panel Three

Headboard still standing tall. POV is now from above, but not so far above that Dan can't get away without using that painful 3-point perspective.

Elliot admits to himself he wants to transform.

Panel Four

Now playing inside Elliot's head.

Panel Five

Elliot finds an excuse to stop thinking about how much he likes being a girl. You know, sometimes.

Panels Six and Seven

That nosy headboard is out of the picture. Either Elliot has the keyboard in his lap or is controlling the computer using that cybernetic link Tedd installed recently.

Wait, is that a computer monitor? It could be just a TV Elliot is zoning out on. But what happened to that big ol' heavy CRT-type TV Elliot needed to get the stand at Swedekea for?

Elliot might be going through comments now, but she could also be stalling before looking at the comments. Which could explain why he hasn't deployed the keyboard and the mouse.

Or maybe Dan forgot to put in a keyboard and/or mouse.

Panel Eight

Elliot finds an excuse to find another excuse. There is one factoid here: Elliot is looking at or is about to look at the channel his reviews with Susan are on, not googling for Cheerleadra or Elliot Dunkel references.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:
9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Never put off unitl tomorrow that which can be avoided until next month

Do that long enough and "Bad Things" will happen

Are you referring to Sun turning into white dwarf?

6 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Elliot really should call Tedd now (or at least e-mail him with "reply in person") to schedule that super-eyes spell examination

Email may not be secure enough.

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That nosy headboard is out of the picture. Either Elliot has the keyboard in his lap or is controlling the computer using that cybernetic link Tedd installed recently.

Correct computer table SHOULD have keyboard on lower level than the monitor.

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

But what happened to that big ol' heavy CRT-type TV Elliot needed to get the stand at Swedekea for?

Goood point. Although note that they only got the CRT TV because parents decided to buy a flat one.

Also, note that I have two flat monitors but my TV is still CRT.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No, it leads to mental breakdowns.  Or at least makes them worse

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Correct computer table SHOULD have keyboard on lower level than the monitor.

Yes, indeed, and I should live long enough to afford to buy one.

The table or house big enough?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Don't worry about that! Before the Sun becomes a white dwarf, it will grow into a red giant large enough to vaporize Mercury, Venus, Earth and maybe Mars too. In five or ten billion years or so. Long enough, perhaps, to abolish the electoral college.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Wait, is that a computer monitor? It could be just a TV Elliot is zoning out on. But what happened to that big ol' heavy CRT-type TV Elliot needed to get the stand at Swedekea for?

Elliot might be going through comments now, but she could also be stalling before looking at the comments. Which could explain why he hasn't deployed the keyboard and the mouse.

Or maybe Dan forgot to put in a keyboard and/or mouse.

The desk could have a keyboard/mouse drawer.

6179674_R_SET?$Main768$&w=620&h=620

It's also possible that the computer isn't in Elliot/Ellen's room, that it's shared by the family and would be in Mr. Dunkel's office or corner of the living room or somewhere. While we haven't seen the TV in Elliot/Ellen's room, it's probably still there and not been pushed out by a computer. Elliot's summer job probably paid enough for some new clothes and to keep the car on the road for another year. ;)

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yes, it could.

However, the desk in your picture doesn't have the most important feature of any desk: A place for your legs. I know whereof I speak; I'm typing this on a dresser. That slide-out drawer doesn't come out far enough.

31 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Don't worry about that! Before the Sun becomes a white dwarf, it will grow into a red giant large enough to vaporize Mercury, Venus, Earth and maybe Mars too. In five or ten billion years or so. Long enough, perhaps, to abolish the electoral college.

So, you mean you can't procrastinate through this?

(This article claims that Mars is safely outside the risk to be consumed. And it already doesn't have any oceans to evaporate. But yes, seems that Earth will be gone. So, you can't procrastinate so much you miss your ticket to Europa's beaches.)

18 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yes, it could.

However, the desk in your picture doesn't have the most important feature of any desk: A place for your legs. I know whereof I speak; I'm typing this on a dresser. That slide-out drawer doesn't come out far enough.

The place is there, but someone put printer in it.

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, it could.

True, but office supply store probably expects you to purchase an office chair that's ergonomically designed for a desk like that, and there's probably a recommended posture and distance from the computer one would need to be at to sit "comfortably".

As for me, I'm using a desk that my dad bought like 27 years ago, I've chopped it up a couple times in order to fit my computer, but the space that my 23" LED monitor is on is only 22" wide so the screen is turned a bit in order to fit. My 19" LCD monitor is on a higher shelf that's above that computer so I have to look up and to the left to see it.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

As for me, I'm using a desk that my dad bought like 27 years ago, I've chopped it up a couple times in order to fit my computer, but the space that my 23" LED monitor is on is only 22" wide so the screen is turned a bit in order to fit. My 19" LCD monitor is on a higher shelf that's above that computer so I have to look up and to the left to see it.

An LCD monitor? Liquiid Crystal Display? I'm picturing a digital watch for the Jolly Green Giant.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Don't worry about that! Before the Sun becomes a white dwarf, it will grow into a red giant large enough to vaporize Mercury, Venus, Earth and maybe Mars too. In five or ten billion years or so.

That's about five billion years off, assuming nothing in particular happens in the meantime.

Which is a bad assumption. About a billion years before then, the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxies pass through each other. What will happen to the sun and earth in that process, is anyone's guess. (Direct collisions are unlikely. Galaxies consist of huge quantities of empty space with some clumps of stuff here and there. The distance from here to Proxima Centauri is 28.68 million times the diameter of the sun. That said, there almost certainly will be some direct collisions somewhere in the galaxies, and near-misses can make a serious mess of things.)

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

An LCD monitor? Liquiid Crystal Display? I'm picturing a digital watch for the Jolly Green Giant.

I've had it for roughly 7-8 years now, LG Flatron W1953T, it's got touch sensors for the power and screen controls, no buttons. the 23" LED is a Samsung SyncMaster S23B300, got that about 4-5 years ago, also has touch controls.

22 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, of course. Note that LED monitors are usually actually LCD monitors with LED backlit (although true LED display devices exists, their resolution is not ideal for monitors).

11 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

That's about five billion years off, assuming nothing in particular happens in the meantime.

Which is a bad assumption. About a billion years before then, the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxies pass through each other. What will happen to the sun and earth in that process, is anyone's guess. (Direct collisions are unlikely. Galaxies consist of huge quantities of empty space with some clumps of stuff here and there. The distance from here to Proxima Centauri is 28.68 million times the diameter of the sun. That said, there almost certainly will be some direct collisions somewhere in the galaxies, and near-misses can make a serious mess of things.)

Actually, we MAY get lucky in that galaxy collision. Meanwhile, the amount of luck necessary for saving us from Sun would be in the area of completely theoretical probabilities, as it would require quantum random effect to be magnified to the size of Sun.

Of course, in the time of the galaxy collision, Sun would already be bigger than now - not enough to consume Mercury, but hot enough to boil our oceans. Unless we move - with or without the planet. Europa might look nice then.

All we need to do is construct a Dyson sphere around a young and stable red dwarf and set the whole system adrift away from all the galaxies in our local group.  We should be good to go for about a trillion years.