• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

The Recipe and Cooking Thread

Talk about off topic. :)

This thread is intended for posting and discussing your favorite recipes. No limits on what kind of food, as long as it's edible and not a joke.

However, I would be wary of posting copyrighted recipes verbatim, such as those from cookbooks, cans of soup, and so on. Really, it'd be best for posting stuff that you've come up with on your own. It'd also be ideal for anyone trying to cook said recipes to ask questions if they run into trouble while cooking.

Okay, here's why I started this thread. Someone on Facebook asked for chile con queso recipes. I've spent years trying to perfect my own. Here's a version you might want to experiment with:

Ingredients:

One tablespoon vegetable oil
One medium jalapeño or regular serrano pepper, diced small
Cumin powder, about a teaspoon
Chili powder (Gebhardt preferred), about a teaspoon
Garlic powder, just under a teaspoon (or use one smashed & diced clove fresh garlic)
Adobo powder, 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
One 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies, mild (Hatch preferred)
RO*TEL Mexican style tomatoes, one can
One brick Velveeta (regular, not low fat or Mexican), cut into approx. 1" chunks
One to two cups of Kraft Mexican cheese blend, to taste
One to two cups of milk as needed

Preparation:

Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick two quart or larger saucepan over medium heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
Saute' the pepper until fragrant and very slightly browned.
All at once, add the powdered spices and briefly saute'. WARNING: this will release a kind of "pepper gas." DON'T DO IT FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SECONDS!
Dump in the chopped green chiles and stir. Saute' until they start to slightly lose their wetness.
Add the can of RO*TEL Mexican style tomatoes and simmer until slightly reduced.

Cheeses:
Add the Velveeta chunks to the liquid in the saucepan, then add the Kraft Mexican cheese shred blend on top.
Using a strong spoon, stir the contents of the saucepan, scraping the bottom frequently, until the mixture looks less stringy and more cheesy.
Add at least half of the milk.
Continue stirring, scraping the bottom and walls of the pot, until the mixture starts to look more like smooth queso.
Add just enough of the remaining milk as needed to adjust thickness. Stir until incorporated.
You may need to adjust the heat to keep the cheese at the bottom of the pot from burning.
Continue stirring until no chunks of Velveeta are left.
Keep warm and serve with your favorite chips.

Not so much a recipe...

Throw a third of a cup or so of cottage cheese in a pan, add a couple tablespoons of curry powder, heat to a slow simmer. It's a great sauce for lots of things.

If you have leftover sauce, the next morning scramble some eggs with it.

-----

Also, if you like watermelon and your diet allows you to have it, take a quarter-melon and cut as follows: slice lengthwise, parallel to one of the flat faces, about 3/4 inch apart; then do the same thing parallel to the other flat face; then cut as close to the rind as you can. This produces a bunch of long pieces. (I'd prefer closer cuts, actually, but then the pieces that have lots of seeds tend to break.) Put these pieces on a hot grill to caramelize the sugars. Enjoy.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If you have leftover sauce, the next morning scramble some eggs with it.

This sounds interesting, indeed.

@mlooney? If you're reading, would you care to share your 500° roast recipe? I'm intrigued every time I see it mentioned.

Now that scrambled eggs have been mentioned, I've got a way of making them based on Jacques Pépin's style. He and Julia Child had a scrambled egg cook-off on their TV show once, and they had their methods printed next to each other in the joint book they put out. I liked Jacques's style better, but I fiddled with it and came up with something I like better.

I can't make them anymore because of my chronic pain, and Mrs. Prof isn't quite as adept with a whisk (and doesn't like my style eggs anyway). I'm hoping someone else out there will at least try them and pass the recipe on.

Cooking time: approx. 10 minutes (maybe less)

Ingredients:

• Three to four large eggs (add extra cooking time for four eggs)
  • Milk, Half-and-Half, or Cream (almost a tablespoon's worth)
  • One pat of butter (you choose the size)
  • A small amount of salt, pepper, and chervil, ready to toss in all at once (substitute chives for chervil if you must, but it really tastes better with chervil)

Cooking Instructions:

• Crack the eggs into a bowl and add your milk/half-and-half/cream. Cream works best, but milk will give edible results if you're counting calories.
  • Whisk together the eggs and the dairy until blended, but don't overdo it. Keep the whisk—you'll need it.
  • Melt the butter over medium-low heat (closer to medium heat, but not quite at it) in a small sauce pan.
  • When the butter almost stops foaming, add the egg mixture and begin whisking steadily. Don't stop, but don't go so fast that you wear out your arm.
  • Continue whisking, getting every corner of the pan, until the mixture starts to thicken and turn a brighter shade of yellow, like a custard.
  • Add your spices all at once and continue whisking until fully incorporated. Whisk faster at this point to keep the eggs as smooth as possible.

When a small, smooth curd forms, empty the eggs onto a plate. They should still look smooth and custardy, but should not run. (If there are too many large curds and they leak water, you've overcooked the eggs.)

Add extra salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Enjoy.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This sounds interesting, indeed.

@mlooney? If you're reading, would you care to share your 500° roast recipe? I'm intrigued every time I see it mentioned.

1 (3 pounds) beef eye of round roast

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Season the roast with oil, salt, and pepper and place in a roasting pan or baking dish. Do not cover or add water.
  2. Place the roast in the preheated oven.  Roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the door at all during this time!
  3. Remove the roast from the oven; the internal temperature should have reached at least 145 degrees F (65 degrees C). Carve into thin slices to serve.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

1 (3 pounds) beef eye of round roast

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Season the roast with oil, salt, and pepper and place in a roasting pan or baking dish. Do not cover or add water.
  2. Place the roast in the preheated oven.  Roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the door at all during this time!
  3. Remove the roast from the oven; the internal temperature should have reached at least 145 degrees F (65 degrees C). Carve into thin slices to serve.

What kind of oil do you use? Also, just salt and pepper? No rosemary or other seasonings?

Still sounds good. I'm just a detail freak. ;)

Either Olive or or just normal vegetable oil.  I have been using garlic and random herbs on it.  A fairly large amount of oil so you get a crispy outer layer.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Either Olive or or just normal vegetable oil.  I have been using garlic and random herbs on it.  A fairly large amount of oil so you get a crispy outer layer.

This bit is more of a question for Mrs. Prof than it is for me: what kind of a mess does it make inside the oven?

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This bit is more of a question for Mrs. Prof than it is for me: what kind of a mess does it make inside the oven?

I use a drip pad under it and doesn't seem to cause any problems.

35 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I use a drip pad under it and doesn't seem to cause any problems.

The oil doesn't splatter on the walls and "ceiling" of the oven? I checked with Mrs. Prof, and that's her biggest concern. Otherwise, she's intrigued and would like to try it.

14 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The oil doesn't splatter on the walls and "ceiling" of the oven? I checked with Mrs. Prof, and that's her biggest concern. Otherwise, she's intrigued and would like to try it.

I'm a guy that doesn't worry about that sort of thing.  I don't know. :-)