• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday May 10, 2017

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I don't think Justin's worked through his anger at being outed.  I see it as the reason he was able to be Marked (combined with Greg's martial arts training)

I don't think the mark is due to Justin's anger at being outed, but his feeling of being weak, not able to defend himself from bullies after being outed, as well as not being able to help rescue Elliot from the Nest.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

You'd kind of expect there to be some elbowing back and forth over who gets custody of some aspects of Elliot's psyche.  I haven't seen any evidence of it.  On the surface, Ellen seems to have let Elliot have the whole ball of wax and decided to try reinventing herself, letting any renaming similarities be familial ones not encroaching on identity.

I feel like Elliot wouldn't have objected if Ellen didn't try to differentiate herself from him, I don't know how well that would have gone though, it might have made things confusing for everyone involved. Ellen knew early on that she couldn't be Elliot anymore, and knew that it would be easiest on both of them if she was the one that changed. The parts she couldn't change aren't a big deal and yes, it helps with the whole "we are twins" bit.

36 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

You'd kind of expect there to be some elbowing back and forth over who gets custody of some aspects of Elliot's psyche.  I haven't seen any evidence of it.  On the surface, Ellen seems to have let Elliot have the whole ball of wax and decided to try reinventing herself, letting any renaming similarities be familial ones not encroaching on identity.

I feel like Elliot wouldn't have objected if Ellen didn't try to differentiate herself from him, I don't know how well that would have gone though, it might have made things confusing for everyone involved. Ellen knew early on that she couldn't be Elliot anymore, and knew that it would be easiest on both of them if she was the one that changed. The parts she couldn't change aren't a big deal and yes, it helps with the whole "we are twins" bit.

Note that even if she didn't decided to differentiate herself already, she then got her second life. I'm sure that would provide at least some difference.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note that even if she didn't decided to differentiate herself already, she then got her second life. I'm sure that would provide at least some difference.

Well she was already making an effort to be different, I think the second life experience showed her that some things needed to stay the same. Although the extra memories did let her look at situations differently. Like "Elliot would have done this, and my second life experience says I could do that, what if I tried a bit of each?"

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:
36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well she was already making an effort to be different, I think the second life experience showed her that some things needed to stay the same. Although the extra memories did let her look at situations differently. Like "Elliot would have done this, and my second life experience says I could do that, what if I tried a bit of each?"

It's true there was one thing she might've decided to stay same based on second life, on the other hand I think she wouldn't miss the chance of dating Nanase anyway.

What I meant was that her second life experience would cause some difference even if she didn't wanted to.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The speculations on Heidi's sexual orientation are based on the trope she's representing, the kiss is just confirmation.

So, instead of seeing it as evidence about her fitting a particular orientation, you're taking it as evidence that she fits a particular trope.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  You're still assuming an awful lot based on one peck on the cheek goodbye.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

So, instead of seeing it as evidence about her fitting a particular orientation, you're taking it as evidence that she fits a particular trope.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  You're still assuming an awful lot based on one peck on the cheek goodbye.

There are cultures where it is quite common to greet close friends by kissing them on the cheek, or even both cheeks. I would be a little startled to learn that every single person in these cultures proved to be homosexual.

On 05/13/2017 at 2:41 PM, CritterKeeper said:
On 05/13/2017 at 3:46 AM, hkmaly said:

The speculations on Heidi's sexual orientation are based on the trope she's representing, the kiss is just confirmation.

I agree that this would be very bad approach for real person. But Elliot's alter egos are SUPPOSED to be trope (or cliché).

Also, word of god. Well, ok, Dan said that he's not sure himself, but he also confirmed that what Lisa said matches already established facts.

Also, unlike real people, the limited span of comics means that in general we speculate based on data which would be grossly inadequate if it would be about reality. And the Chekhov's gun means that we have bigger chance to be right anyway: there is a lot more red herrings in real life than in any story.