• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

New Forum Discussion

142 posts in this topic

Dunno if this is the default or the latest model or what, but it's interesting seeing what's the same and what's different.  It took a moment to confirm that the Multiquote button is still there, just disguised as a plus sign.  No real surprise anymore to see a Like button, whether you like having them or not.

So, assuming that someday someone might have the time to toggle optional features and customize things (or if you just feel like praising or griping), what do you like or dislike about this new version of the forums?

Edited to change title from "What do you think of the new forum?" to "New Forum Discussion" since it's expanded to include bug reports and such.  :-)

I don't really care for the borderless format of posts

I just quoted someone quoting someone, and only the more recent quote, outermost in the nested quotes, was quoted in my post.  While I can see advantages to not having a conversation drag along five or six nested quotes when only the most recent is relevant, I do prefer having the *choice* to quote more than one layer.

6 minutes ago, CritterKeepe said:

I just quoted someone quoting someone, and only the more recent quote, outermost in the nested quotes, was quoted in my post.  While I can see advantages to not having a conversation drag along five or six nested quotes when only the most recent is relevant, I do prefer having the *choice* to quote more than one layer.

I've almost always preferred the single-nested option. So long as the quote backlinks to the originating post, it can serve the same effect with less visual clutter.

EDIT: As I quoted to test, the posts do backlink. Snazzy.

Edited by Arcanimus
quote backlink test

I'm still working on getting them running just, so things may change.

Maybe I'm really dating myself, but am I the only one who read that, and pictured poor Willie the Visitor telling people "I am just," and them replying, "Just what?"

I was trying to shorten the announcement, since it seemed to cut off any text displayed after the second line... and well, that "just" was left over from a sentence edit... anyway, I've fixed it! 

Overall I like the design, layout, and flow of the new ones a fair bit better... But I can't stand the color scheme. I use the site mostly in a dark room, and this bright white is headache inducing. I also like having "likes", as well as the reputation mechanic associated with them.

4 hours ago, CritterKeepe said:

Very much agree with you here. Three levels of nesting is where I feel the cutoff should be, if you're to enforce a small cutoff at all.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't really care for the borderless format of posts

Borderless format? I'm uncertain what you mean here?

4 hours ago, Arcanimus said:

I've almost always preferred the single-nested option. So long as the quote backlinks to the originating post, it can serve the same effect with less visual clutter.

EDIT: As I quoted to test, the posts do backlink. Snazzy.

The problem here is that when people do manual quoting they don't add the linkback information. Which means you lose the context entirely. (And without the nesting, the net result will be either lack of context, or people adding more quotes into their new posts: one for each previous nest. I'm already having to do this in the current reaction threads).

EDIT2: I have an example where the nesting is nearly a necessity to understand what's going on (Specifically my quoting of hkmaly):

EDIT3: While the ability for the forum to show linked posts directly in the posts you're linking to them in is neat, the functionality might need some work. The amount of space it takes up is really large...especially as it cuts off after one line. Needs to either take up less space, or show more of the linked post.

EDIT: And I'm sure this is coming, but it'll be really nice to have the the NP and Sketchbook subforums back. This forum is active enough to necessitate that.

Edited by Matoyak
Zeratul Darksoul likes this

6 hours ago, Robin said:

I was trying to shorten the announcement, since it seemed to cut off any text displayed after the second line... and well, that "just" was left over from a sentence edit... anyway, I've fixed it! 

A way to toggle to straight text mode would be really nice.

5 hours ago, Matoyak said:

Borderless format? I'm uncertain what you mean here?

I mean how the continuous white background is hard on the eyes, the old form had either borders around each post or had alternating shades to break up everything.

Oddly enough, There is a line between my first post in the thread, and Critterkeeper's second post, but I'm uncertain why it's only there? Best guess might be because posts before the line happened before midnight, and posts after the line are after midnight? Only indicator of that right now is the fact that the first 2 posts are over 9 hours old and posts after the line are at least 7 hours old and it's only 8:40am here. ;)

That coloured line you're probably seeing, Scotty, is likely the differential line between "Read Posts" & "Unread Posts" that's part of the forum software.
It happens when you're opened and read a thread then closed it and come back later/refreshed the thread (if you kept it open in a tab in the background), so you can tell where you left off in the thread from before and quickly find new posts in it.

Though that's speaking from using another forum (LinusTechTips) running the same software having that same feature after a recent update over there.

Yeah, I just realized that could be what the line was when I looked at another thread and saw the line between a post made half an hour ago and a post made 5 minutes ago.

I notice that the option of custom membership titles ("Very Rested Red DW" in my case) seems to have vanished...

Give it time, it's probably something that's disabled by default for normal members in this particular forum software and Robin will probably have to go in and tweak the "Member" group settings - presuming the AdminCP for Invision works anything like vBulletin (which is what I have experience with).
Either that or it's something that'll need to be fixed on the software dev's end of the system (like with the problem with BBCode, or rather the lack thereof).

As it stands, custom titles are unlocked at 50 posts.  All the rank icons will be done at a later time! I won't REST until I've got this all taken care of... but now it's time for me to go on a week's ski vacation.

2 hours ago, Robin said:

As it stands, custom titles are unlocked at 50 posts.  All the rank icons will be done at a later time! I won't REST until I've got this all taken care of... but now it's time for me to go on a week's ski vacation.

I honestly like the blank dots...Unless you have something rather nifty in mind instead of the fire and sword randoms like previously I'd prob prefer the bullets :P

Have a good break, man :)

8 hours ago, HarJIT said:

... hang on a minute, do we get spoiler tags?

...huh. I didn't notice that glaring omission. Going to test sommat real quick:

Test

EDIT: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I thought I'd done spoilers in the Watching thread?

Spoiler

like this?

That's surrounded by the word "spoiler" in regular square brackets, with a slash in front of the second one.

HarJIT and Matoyak like this

Spoiler

Like this, even not in BBCode?

Edited many times: It is, as well! Though the full HTML invocation appears to be <blockquote class="ipsStyle_spoiler" data-ipsspoiler="" tabindex="0"> No - that's only part of it.

Okay, the actual HTML template appears to be:

<blockquote class="ipsStyle_spoiler" data-ipsspoiler="" tabindex="0"><div class="ipsSpoiler_header"><span>Spoiler</span></div><div class="ipsSpoiler_contents">$(STUFF)</div></blockquote>

As long as HTML editing is available, this poses the intriguing possibility of labelling spoiler-tags something other than "Spoiler".  Let me see...

Very long list, or traumatic content, etc

(Not really.)

... Actually, that title seems to be over-ridden by the software when displayed, although it continues to show up in the editor even after saving and re-editing.
Matoyak likes this

[spoiler]Content[/spoiler]

Spoiler

This Text is Hidden.

Another option with more title control. 

<details> 
<summary>Title</summary> 
Content 
</details>
Spoiler This text is hidden.

A bit of a segway, but...

Spoiler
Spoilers, mobile, like button???

Hey, I actually kinda returned on my anniversary!

5 hours ago, Stature said:

A bit of a segway, but...

A segway is a device that makes you stand while traveling, giving you the sore feet without the exercise.

A segue is a smooth transition from one topic (or song) to another

[music]The more you know...

Zeratul Darksoul likes this

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

[music]The more you know...

I let this Freudian slip slip. (Ha!) I so go for the "segway quickly passes, therefore segue segway" idea. Plus, homophones. Darn.
The Old Hack likes this

@PSadlon - the latter, at least on mobile view, isn't hidden. (I would reply using the quote-button, but hitting the quote-button appears to crash mobile Firefox for Android).

11 hours ago, HarJIT said:

@PSadlon - the latter, at least on mobile view, isn't hidden. (I would reply using the quote-button, but hitting the quote-button appears to crash mobile Firefox for Android).

It's also not hidden on the web version either.