• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

New Forum Discussion

142 posts in this topic

I preferred the previous, cleaner look, at least when it comes to the fonts used for thread and subforum titles. Some of the darker buttons don't really work with the new background either.

The gradient background and logo look a little tacky and out-of-date IMO, but that may just be due to me not having a nostalgic connection to the old forum.

Matoyak likes this

If the line separating old posts from new-to-this-user posts is to be of much use, it needs to be rather more prominent. I'd suggest both lighter (or solid black) and thicker. A very-definitely-not-blue color would be another alternative.

The design as of 9:12 PM CST, March 16, 2016:

Some of the buttons need either a different color or a sharp outline, since they blend too much.

The "GO TO TOPIC LISTING" and "NEXT UNREAD TOPIC" buttons blend too much with the background. I suggest making them a different color. Maybe gray. That'll stand out. Light gray.

The "Attach files" area is also very blue. Black text on dark blue background is problematic. Further, blue hyperlinks on blue background is even more problematic.

Not liking the fonts either for page titles.

Heck, in general it seems like the design took a few steps backwards all around.

[edit]: Also, with all the blues, whites, and grays, the "Report Post" button being red just clashes. Though that might be the point, since its purpose is for problems...

Matoyak likes this

So, I modified the logo, mind you i like the 3D style of the other, but it doesn't fit the "new" style everything is going to with flat colors once again.

6 minutes ago, Robin said:

So, I modified the logo, mind you i like the 3D style of the other, but it doesn't fit the "new" style everything is going to with flat colors once again.

Eh, go with what you like.  I liked the old logo and there's more to life than being trendy, but if what you like is to feel current then that's cool too!

10 hours ago, Stature said:

*shakes head*

Might want to check the ones with black text and light blue text (links). Not easily discernible.

Yeah...

10 hours ago, liontari said:

I preferred the previous, cleaner look, at least when it comes to the fonts used for thread and subforum titles. Some of the darker buttons don't really work with the new background either.

The gradient background and logo look a little tacky and out-of-date IMO, but that may just be due to me not having a nostalgic connection to the old forum.

I like that this theme's easier on the eyes in terms of colors...but boy, are these fonts bad.

6 hours ago, Zorua said:

The design as of 9:12 PM CST, March 16, 2016:

Some of the buttons need either a different color or a sharp outline, since they blend too much.

The "GO TO TOPIC LISTING" and "NEXT UNREAD TOPIC" buttons blend too much with the background. I suggest making them a different color. Maybe gray. That'll stand out. Light gray.

The "Attach files" area is also very blue. Black text on dark blue background is problematic. Further, blue hyperlinks on blue background is even more problematic.

Not liking the fonts either for page titles.

Heck, in general it seems like the design took a few steps backwards all around.

[edit]: Also, with all the blues, whites, and grays, the "Report Post" button being red just clashes. Though that might be the point, since its purpose is for problems...

I agree with most of this, though I do like the forum not being quite as eye-blindingly bright.

It feels like the theme is css from another website that got dropped in a bit hastily, and wasn't modified for this one's specific needs.

The ability to delete quote boxes without having to go into the source code would be nice...

If you hover the mouse over the quote box, when a drag option appears, you can select it instead of actually drag the box. Then, the quote box will be highlighted just like you would highlight text, and pressing the delete button in your keyboard will delete it.

5 hours ago, exterminator said:

If you hover the mouse over the quote box, when a drag option appears, you can select it instead of actually drag the box. Then, the quote box will be highlighted just like you would highlight text, and pressing the delete button in your keyboard will delete it.

I think I use cut when on tablet.

6 hours ago, Zorua said:

The ability to delete quote boxes without having to go into the source code would be nice...

Agreed, it be nice to have an easy way to do it rather than a specific slightly roundabout way to do it.

The "share this post" button is invisible until you hover over it.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

We have a share this post button?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah upper right corner of the post.

Ok, I saw it when I hovered my mouse over it.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

6 hours ago, partner555 said:

That is a life metaphor.  Sharing isn't easy.  If you really want to share, it takes effort on your part.  And no matter how much you share, there will always be others who don't understand or appreciate the gesture.

7 hours ago, partner555 said:
7 hours ago, Scotty said:

We already had one before?

Yeah, we had one before the forums crash, that's how I realized the one here was invisible, I wanted to link a post and didn't see it at first, was literally thinking "hey, wasn't there a sha....or there it is, hiding on me."

There are a few threads that seem likely to stay active long-term but I have absolutely no interest in, in the same forums as other threads I am interested in. Is there an option that could be made available whereby I could tell the software that a thread never has new messages I want to read?

(On the Gunnerkrigg Court forum this is "Mark Read - Permanently". But that appears to be an entirely unrelated software package. Another plausible title for such an option would be "Ignore Thread".)

The Old Hack and Matoyak like this

So basically you want an anti-subscription? Like, subscribing to a thread will send you notices when there are new posts, but anti-subscribing would ensure that you do NOT get sent notices?

... and that that thread being unread would not mark the forum-section as unread, I'd expect.

I've taken to simply not following the Off Topic section as of late, as I can't really keep on to of it all, and there is some that is of no interest to me, hence I've simply gotten used to keeping the marker for that entire section as Unread without disturbing it. 

When I edit a post, all the text IN the post (not headers, and not quote-headers) is coming up in white-on-white. I have to highlight it to make it readable so I can pick a point in the message, and then type blind.

Is the board doing this to everyone?

Yeah, it's doing it to me as well, very hard to edit spelling errors that you can't see. Though switching the format to Source lets you see again.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

very hard to edit spelling errors that you can't see.

Wasn't that a criticism of Milton?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Wasn't that a criticism of Milton?

Not sure what that's in reference to, but re-reading my post, I understand that the phrasing sounds somewhat strange out of context. :D

The Old Hack likes this

On this laptop, every single time I go to a new page, a little talk bubble pops up in the upper left-hand corner of the screen asking if I'd like to receive notifications from this site.  There are options for "Not now" and "Receive for this session" but none way to tell it to please quit popping up the dialog for good.  Clicking on "Not now" only closes it for that particular screen, as soon as I click something else, a new dialog pops up.  No other web pages do this, so it's something about this site.  I'm on Firefox 45.0.1.