• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

New Forum Discussion

147 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

On this laptop, every single time I go to a new page, a little talk bubble pops up in the upper left-hand corner of the screen asking if I'd like to receive notifications from this site.  There are options for "Not now" and "Receive for this session" but none way to tell it to please quit popping up the dialog for good.  Clicking on "Not now" only closes it for that particular screen, as soon as I click something else, a new dialog pops up.  No other web pages do this, so it's something about this site.  I'm on Firefox 45.0.1.

Huh. On both my desktop and my laptop (Desktop is Cyberfox, Laptop is Firefox 45.0.1) and I see that message as well every time I wipe cookies. There is the ability to select a dropdown and tell it "Always allow" for me. Don't know why that wouldn't work for you though :/

2 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

Huh. On both my desktop and my laptop (Desktop is Cyberfox, Laptop is Firefox 45.0.1) and I see that message as well every time I wipe cookies. There is the ability to select a dropdown and tell it "Always allow" for me. Don't know why that wouldn't work for you though :/

Because I don't want to allow notifications?  My complaint is that it doesn't give any way to make that No stick.  If I can say "Yes allow notifications" as a permanent thing, I should be able to say "Never allow notifications" (and quit asking me!) but it doesn't offer that.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

On this laptop, every single time I go to a new page, a little talk bubble pops up in the upper left-hand corner of the screen asking if I'd like to receive notifications from this site.  There are options for "Not now" and "Receive for this session" but none way to tell it to please quit popping up the dialog for good.  Clicking on "Not now" only closes it for that particular screen, as soon as I click something else, a new dialog pops up.  No other web pages do this, so it's something about this site.  I'm on Firefox 45.0.1.

Hmm? That doesn't happen only laptop. What laptop is yours? Mine's a Mac. But I haven't updated the OS in a while.

2 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Hmm? That doesn't happen only laptop. What laptop is yours? Mine's a Mac. But I haven't updated the OS in a while.

I think it's a browser thing rather than an OS thing, hence it could be explained if you aren't using Mozilla.

On 4/1/2016 at 7:50 PM, HarJIT said:

I think it's a browser thing rather than an OS thing, hence it could be explained if you aren't using Mozilla.

Oh yes, it is.

Lemme guess, Crit, are you using Chrome?

On another note: When I try to edit my posts, the text that is already there is "invisible", making it hard to read. Might be a bad bug.

1 hour ago, Stature said:

On another note: When I try to edit my posts, the text that is already there is "invisible", making it hard to read. Might be a bad bug.

Going into the Source to make edits is annoying.

But I suspect that the problem may be that these posts are vampyric  Just as a vampire can not be seen in a mirror, these posts can not be seen when reflected in the edit screen.

2 hours ago, Stature said:

Oh yes, it is.

Lemme guess, Crit, are you using Chrome?

She already said:

On 01/04/2016 at 7:36 AM, CritterKeeper said:

What's going on is that the present version of the forum system allows "pushing" notifications, e.g. when one is quoted or @invoked, to the notification area of, say, an Android device, if the mobile browser supports it.  Mozilla (including Firefox), and possibly others, apparently implements an equivalent notification system on non-mobile also, but won't do that unless you opt in.  But by the sounds of it manage to cause equivalent annoyance with opt-in dialogs anyway.  But I will re-iterate what I said:

On 01/04/2016 at 0:22 PM, HarJIT said:

Apparently, to turn the feature off for the entire browser (i.e. set "No" for the entire internet), go to about:config (type that in the URL bar and hit Enter), find dom.push.enabled and set it to false .

Source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1107234

That is to say, there is a hidden setting which reportedly turns it off altogether:

GLSbyuh.png

Double-clicking it toggles between true and false.

Edited by HarJIT

Ooh, what kind of god?

You know, this forum DOES have a "built-in" notifications center, irregardless of the browser but limited by device.

I blame Ma Bell, one of the newest additions to this forum.

So even withHarJIT's option, there is *no* way to tell it "No" for a particular site and have it quit asking for that site, unless the feature is turned off completely for *every* site?

That's rather silly or stupid, depending on your mood.  :-P

2 hours ago, Stature said:

Ooh, what kind of god?

I'm...not sure.  I just found out I was a god.

I'm a god...of MEness!

I'll fill in the other blanks when I figure the answers out...

Pharaoh RutinTutin and ijuin like this

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, Vorlonagent said:

I'm a god...of MEness!

My mother's hometown church was, long ago, a Methodist Episcopal Church.  (Since then, the Methodist Episcopal congregations largely joined the United Methodist Church.)  As a child, whenever we went to grandma's church, it always amused me when I saw everything that wasn't nailed down was stenciled "M.E. Church". 

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My mother's hometown church was, long ago, a Methodist Episcopal Church.  (Since then, the Methodist Episcopal congregations largely joined the United Methodist Church.)  As a child, whenever we went to grandma's church, it always amused me when I saw everything that wasn't nailed down was stenciled "M.E. Church". 

The funny thing is: I grew up United Methodist...

On April 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Vorlonagent said:

I'm...not sure.  I just found out I was a god.

I'm a god...of MEness!

I'll fill in the other blanks when I figure the answers out...

The Pharaoh would likely be familiar with issues of personal godhood. Perhaps he could offer some advice.

The Old Hack likes this

I knida wish i could turn off ALL email notifications and have everything go through the on-site system. there has to be a way of keeping track of my favorite threads without spamming my email account.

3 hours ago, HarJIT said:

... the church devoted to Windows 9x's final state.

I think that might be considered a cult based on the fact that you'd have to be brainwashed to believe that WinME was any good. ;)

I have one actual issue with the forum but it's easily solved.  

The font used for major topic headings doesn't work that well on smaller screens.  I have a hard time telling when a topic has new posts (bolded title) vs. not on smaller screens like my 15" laptop.

28 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I have one actual issue with the forum but it's easily solved.  

The font used for major topic headings doesn't work that well on smaller screens.  I have a hard time telling when a topic has new posts (bolded title) vs. not on smaller screens like my 15" laptop.

Most of the fonts outside of the posts themselves are terrible. They become even worse on small screens. It's been mentioned on the issues/starting over thread in the announcements forum, but maybe a few more voices over there wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I knida wish i could turn off ALL email notifications and have everything go through the on-site system. there has to be a way of keeping track of my favorite threads without spamming my email account.

Indeed.  Access http://community.910cmx.com/index.php?/notifications/options/ while logged in.  The latter half of the page is a panel of switches of what warrants email and what warrants site notifications.

Edit: although some switches are disabled by the administrator. You should be able to reduce your e-mail mass like that, though.

Edited by HarJIT

that's kinda useless since the one i specifically want to switch from email to on-site is " Someone comments on something I follow " AKA, the one that's locked.

@InfiniteRemnant Actually, I think "comments" refers to so-labelled "Comments" sections, e.g. on gallery pages, with new replies to a thread (or "topic" as the forum system calls it) being classified as "new content".  But I'm not sure about that.

I'd suggest turning off the "new content" e-mail option and see if it helps, anyway.

I don't follow threads that way, I just look at threads that have new posts, so I don't get the email notifications for that. The only notifications I get are when someone likes a post I make, when someone quotes me in a thread, or when someone replies to a thread that I'm currently viewing, though the last one is similar to the notification in the old forums except a sound is played as well now.

48 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

@InfiniteRemnant Actually, I think "comments" refers to so-labelled "Comments" sections, e.g. on gallery pages, with new replies to a thread (or "topic" as the forum system calls it) being classified as "new content".  But I'm not sure about that.

I'd suggest turning off the "new content" e-mail option and see if it helps, anyway.

Nope, that's already off. that's not it.

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't follow threads that way, I just look at threads that have new posts, so I don't get the email notifications for that. The only notifications I get are when someone likes a post I make, when someone quotes me in a thread, or when someone replies to a thread that I'm currently viewing, though the last one is similar to the notification in the old forums except a sound is played as well now.

It's a convenience thing. notifications still show up when i'm in chat, new post icons don't, and emails aren't even in the same window.