• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

New Forum Discussion

142 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2016 at 11:09 PM, InfiniteRemnant said:

that's kinda useless since the one i specifically want to switch from email to on-site is " Someone comments on something I follow " AKA, the one that's locked.

I was hoping the e-mail issue would be solved within a few weeks, but seeing as the forum is still spamming me with dozens of e-mails instead of simply giving me an alert here, I'd like to complain about this as well ^_^;

I would be really happy if I could get on-site notifications when someone replies to a thread I follow.

21 minutes ago, Maplestrip said:

I was hoping the e-mail issue would be solved within a few weeks, but seeing as the forum is still spamming me with dozens of e-mails instead of simply giving me an alert here, I'd like to complain about this as well ^_^;

I would be really happy if I could get on-site notifications when someone replies to a thread I follow.

PMing an admin ( @Robin or @Thom Revor ) might flag this for attention.

Then again, my @invoking might also...

I'll try and take a look at it later tonight.  

My life has been a bit hectic.  For those who saw the news about the big hailstorm a couple of weeks ago outside of Dallas, TX...  Guess where I live?

I've told some others, but there has been major damage to my house (roof needs major work -- baseball sized holes in the roof -- windows along one side of the house were completely destroyed, shed with serious damage, both vehicles totalled, plus sundry other things like patio furniture, both my grills, tractor damaged, etc.).

Insurance will cover it all (except for the $1000 deductible on my car), but it just takes time and trouble.  Lots of trouble.

54 minutes ago, Thom Revor said:

My life has been a bit hectic.  For those who saw the news about the big hailstorm a couple of weeks ago outside of Dallas, TX...  Guess where I live?

I've told some others, but there has been major damage to my house (roof needs major work -- baseball sized holes in the roof -- windows along one side of the house were completely destroyed, shed with serious damage, both vehicles totalled, plus sundry other things like patio furniture, both my grills, tractor damaged, etc.).

Insurance will cover it all (except for the $1000 deductible on my car), but it just takes time and trouble.  Lots of trouble.

Good Lord. Make sure you take good care of yourself, Thom. That's by far the most important part.

Maplestrip likes this

1 hour ago, Thom Revor said:

I'm in Garland, so I know the area of which you speak. Tread very carefully when it comes to repairs, for Pete's sake. I can PM you with a place not to call, based on our recent bad experience with getting siding replaced on our house. Let me know if you want the name of the company.

Sorry to hear about the hailstorm. At least we didn't have a repeat last night! :)

2 hours ago, Thom Revor said:

Geeze, that sucks. I'm in the Houston area, so we've been dealing with all those major floods. Friend of mine had to move out of their apartment due to it. Mother nature can be rough, huh.

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

How the bleep do hailstones stay up in the air for long enough to grow that big?

I think they start out very high up and accumulate mass as they drop.

Thom, I'm very sorry to hear about your real-life troubles.  Please don't let the forums interfere with getting your home back to habitable condition.  The real world takes precedence.  Take care of yourself!  We owe you a lot just for giving us this wonderful community.  *hugs*

The Old Hack likes this

21 hours ago, Thom Revor said:

For the record, my spam mail inbox is less important than your house. This sounds awful :c Best of luck dealing with all that...

19 hours ago, ijuin said:

How the bleep do hailstones stay up in the air for long enough to grow that big?

VERY strong updrafts—strong enough to punch holes in the radar signatures. Grapefruit-sized hail was reported as a result. Much of Thom's city looks like Swiss cheese.

BTW, am I the only one who is having trouble with white text on a white background (i.e., invisible text) when editing a forum post or sending a PM? I can see what I've typed if I highlight it with my mouse, but that's the only time—not even changing the text color helps.

58 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

BTW, am I the only one who is having trouble with white text on a white background (i.e., invisible text) when editing a forum post or sending a PM? I can see what I've typed if I highlight it with my mouse, but that's the only time—not even changing the text color helps.

47 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I am having this problem, too. *sigh*

We all have that problem, but I'm willing to wait until Thom fixes his personal situation before he fixes certain forum functionalities.

The Old Hack likes this

9 minutes ago, partner555 said:

We all have that problem, but I'm willing to wait until Thom fixes his personal situation before he fixes certain forum functionalities.

Agreed. I was just wondering if I'd been hallucinating or not. I still might be. <_<

The Old Hack likes this

For the list of things to look into *after* all real life needs are taken care of....

I've noticed a curious phenomena lately where, if I've entered a thread on, say, page five, and I advance to page six, then when I hit the Back button on the browser, instead of showing page five again, it will show page six.  If I hit the Back button again then I go to whatever page I entered the thread from, usually the main folder for that section.

14 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

For the list of things to look into *after* all real life needs are taken care of....

I've noticed a curious phenomena lately where, if I've entered a thread on, say, page five, and I advance to page six, then when I hit the Back button on the browser, instead of showing page five again, it will show page six.  If I hit the Back button again then I go to whatever page I entered the thread from, usually the main folder for that section.

I've noticed that more when I'm on say page 5 of a thread and someone makes a post that creates page 6, I'd click the "see new posts" link that appears which takes me to page 6 but hitting the back button either either reloads page 6 or takes me right back to the subforum page.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Just click on "Source" formatting button in the upper left corner.

It is not pretty, but it works  And it turns what might have been an urgent problem for some users into one that can be dealt with at the administrator's convenience.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Agreed. I was just wondering if I'd been hallucinating or not. I still might be. <_<

Pssst. Don't tell anyone but I am not actually real. You just made me up. :danshiftyeyes:

there is no forum. or comic. or internet. the computer you're looking at doesn't exist.
it's actually 1860 and everything you think you know about the 20th & 21st centuries is just your surprisingly detailed imagination running rampant. you should write a book. 
:P

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

there is no forum. or comic. or internet. the computer you're looking at doesn't exist.
it's actually 1860 and everything you think you know about the 20th & 21st centuries is just your surprisingly detailed imagination running rampant. you should write a book. 
:P

What does Jules Verne and Gene Roddenberry have in common? Both created works that inspired people to make imagined technology a reality.

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

you should write a book. :P

Already done that, working on a second one. How does one go about getting an agent in the mid-19th century? :icon_confused:

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just click on "Source" formatting button in the upper left corner.

It is not pretty, but it works  And it turns what might have been an urgent problem for some users into one that can be dealt with at the administrator's convenience.

I found a better solution. Hit Ctrl-A to select the entire text of the message, then click the bullet-list button. It'll turn into a bullet list (naturally) and the text will be visible. The contents of a quote box will also be turned into a bullet list, while the quote box itself is an item in the outside bullet list.

Later you can do the same thing again to make it no longer a bullet list - if you want. The undo operation will NOT automatically apply to the contents of a quote box; you'll have to do it separately.

I have no idea what will happen if the text already contains a bullet list or a numbered list. Experiment!

14 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Test post so I can test editing.

Okay, I've created a quick Greasemonkey script which seems to fix the problem; I cannot guarantee no side-effects though.

Edited by HarJIT