• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Trail Camera and Other Nature Images

I'm starting this thread to move some of the trail camera photos Mrs. Prof took (thanks to tOH and the rest of the Changing Medications thread for the hardware!) into their own thread. I'm also opening this up to other original photography from the great outdoors, be it from your own front porch to the rim of the Grand Canyon. The only requirement is that it must be something you took yourself, or that someone took with you in it (and you don't mind stepping out from behind your avatar.)

NO STOCK PHOTOS, HISTORIC PHOTOS, FOUND PHOTOS, NEWS PHOTOS, OR THE LIKE, PLEASE. NEW STUFF ONLY, NATURE STUFF ONLY, AND YOUR STUFF ONLY.

Now, with that said, you don't have to have a trail camera. You don't have to have a full-on mirrorless DSLR. A simple camera phone will suffice.

CONTENT MUST BE G-RATED, OR AT THE LEAST BORDERLINE PG.

We're not trying to document animal husbandry here. Save those photos for your local FFA or 4H club.

THE IDEA IS TO SHARE NATURE PHOTOS, NOT PICTURES OF AUNT MARY SUE ON HER PORCH. FOCUS MORE ON NATURE, LESS ON PEOPLE.

NO PHOTO FLOODS. TRY TO KEEP YOUR POSTS INTERESTING, WHICH MEANS AT A MINIMUM. LESS IS MORE, UNLESS MORE IS FUNNY.

You can direct-post your pictures into the forum, but be warned that there is a limit to the amount of bytes you can post set by the forum software. You can post via the Gallery tab, but that limits you to 100 total images. Free hosting sites such as imgur are popular alternatives, but are not 100% reliable. The only way you can get maximum reliability is to set up your own web site and host them there, but that is beyond the scope of these rules/instructions.

THE MODERATORS MAY DECIDE TO LOCK AND/OR DELETE THIS THREAD AT ANY TIME, SHOULD ITS CONTENT VIOLATE THESE GUIDELINES OR GENERAL FORUM RULES.

More guidelines will be added if they become necessary. Phew. Now, with that, try and have some good, clean nature fun!

I'm going to start this off with a bit larger sized photo of the two cats from a couple of days ago. They looked like they were going to get after each other, but nothing came of it. I also did a little bit of gamma correction on the new photo.

large.Cats01a_20170519_02.jpg

The tabby's name is Big Tom, while the grey's name is Loudmouth. Believe me, it is well deserved. He's the one who'll sit outside the front door the moment he detects any motion inside and yowl for hours until someone comes out and plays with him, brushes him, and feeds him his own little special treat of wet food. With my back and my foot, that job falls upon Mrs. Prof, unfortunately. She seems to like it, in a way. Really, he could be homed, but with him so acclimated to being a community cat, he doesn't make a mad dash to get inside when the door is left open. Besides, he's at least 4 years old, and he'd have to be in a single-cat environment.

These aren't new, as such, but they are mine.  And by not new I mean they were taken in 1999.

These two shots come from Sinks Canyon State Park in Wyoming.

This one shows where the river goes underground.  Just indicating the amount of water we are dealing with here.

large.mvc-418x.jpg.b3d2d8ee19c36d4cd55a2

And here is where it comes up again, about 4 miles away

large.mvc-447x.jpg.44a01247d9aa3427c5d9b

Those fish are Rainbow trout  The smaller ones are about 4 lb according to the ranger.  This is an "oh it is soooo not legal to fish here" spot.  You can start fishing about 2 KM downstream.

And, yes I know that some of the photos on their website look just like these two, but I assure you that these are mine.  There aren't a lot of places to stand to take photos there.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The only way you can get maximum reliability is to set up your own web site and host them there, but that is beyond the scope of these rules/instructions.

After the 3rd of the month, I'll add a domain to my collection of sites and will give out an FTP password to any one that asks for it in a PM.  Repeat AFTER the 3rd.  Right now it looks like egsphotos.com is open.  I'll snag that one unless tOH and/or Professor in Pain say not to.

I had to crop the pic for my avatar down to a point where it really isn't recognizable.

This guy was running up my driveway at break-neck speeds (I actually saw it move).  So I clicked the photo.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Ran out of attachment space

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

After the 3rd of the month, I'll add a domain to my collection of sites and will give out an FTP password to any one that asks for it in a PM.  Repeat AFTER the 3rd.  Right now it looks like egsphotos.com is open.  I'll snag that one unless tOH and/or Professor in Pain say not to.

For all of me, you can go right ahead. However, I suggest that you as a courtesy inform Dan by e-mail that you are going to buy the domain if it is free. Also, if it costs any significant amount of money to buy and maintain, please inform me so I can chip in by Paypal or something.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

SECONDED

It's like $12.00 for the whole year.    I have a bulk rate account, all I really pay for is domain registration. 

A couple of infrared photos from our colony tonight. First is an example of Cat Yoga:

large.Cats01a_20170522_01b.jpg

The second is dinner time. One of them is a bit finicky at the time of the picture:

large.Cats02a_20170522_01b.jpg

Mrs. Prof is still in the "getting accustomed to it" phase with the camera. Tonight it's in our greenhouse, which she's converted to an enclosed cat apartment complex. She'll eventually begin taking it out on trapping assignments. I'm guessing she's going to have to figure out some sort of financial deposit setup so that no one runs off with it. It's too valuable (thanks, tOH!).

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Some of these pictures that trail cam snaps are pretty amazing. :) How many non-feline food critics have you had patronise Chez Prof's so far?

Well, there have been possums, raccoons, and lord knows how many species of birds. Pre-camera, I know that roving dog packs would pay it a visit. I don't know about local coyotes.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Well, there have been possums, raccoons, and lord knows how many species of birds. Pre-camera, I know that roving dog packs would pay it a visit. I don't know about local coyotes.

If you spot one dragging large crates marked ACME around, I advise going into a shelter until the dust settles.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

If you spot one dragging large crates marked ACME around, I advise going into a shelter until the dust settles.

Fortunately, we have no high cliffs or piano moving companies in the Garland area. I think we're safe on that count.

Seriously, we are in a borderline area for urban encroachment onto wildlife territory. We see coyotes, skunks, rabbits, possums, raccoons, bobcats, hawks, eagles, and the occasional venomous snake (most of our snakes are of the garter snake variety, thankfully).

A couple more pictures of the backyard community, gathered today. Mrs. Prof set up the trail camera on a tripod, put it on our patio, and then left for work. I've asked her not to do that again, considering how much of an advertisement it is for someone to come along and take it. Tomorrow's pictures should be coming from inside the greenhouse, if she's set it up properly this time. Anyway, here's picture number one:

large.Cats01a_20170524_01b.jpg

Yes, we do have cats named Dumb Ass A, Dumb Ass B, and Trouble. Dumb Ass B is the only one who has managed to elude Mrs. Prof's traps so far.

large.Cats01a_20170524_02b.jpg

And, as you can see, Big Tom, Trouble, and Dumb Ass A seem to get along just fine. :)

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

If Dumb Ass B is so hard to trap, can it really be such a dumb ass? o.O

He's too dumb to recognize sardines and extra-tasty cat food when he smells them ...

25 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I recognize sardines when I smell them.  And I also stay away.

Oh, man, there's much good to be found in a properly made sardine and shallot (or finely sliced green onion) sandwich with mayo on a good, absorbent bread. Just make sure you drain the sardines properly and make sure both they and the oil they were packed in are both high quality. Om nom nom.

Only one photo for tonight, and it's from last night's infrared shots. We seem to have captured an image of the local wildlife:

large.Raccoon01a_20170524_01b.jpg

Just wait until the raccoon families start coming through in droves later.

4 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Only one photo for tonight, and it's from last night's infrared shots. We seem to have captured an image of the local wildlife:

large.Raccoon01a_20170524_01b.jpg

Just wait until the raccoon families start coming through in droves later.

Be careful with Rodger there.  He might have a tendency to make things explode.