• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Wednesday June 7, 2017

OK, it's Friday, so Pandora's probably checking in to make sure Sarah's ready to step up spell usage to drain the area around the dam.

I wonder if she'll mention anything about her realization about Tedd learning about the WoM changing and if she says anything about what she learned from Heka. I mean she's in her child form but her tone doesn't seem childish, more like "time for some real talk".

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I wonder if she'll mention anything about her realization about Tedd learning about the WoM changing and if she says anything about what she learned from Heka. I mean she's in her child form but her tone doesn't seem childish, more like "time for some real talk".

Nah, she is there to tell Sarah that it is safe for her to go to Canada now. Magic and witchcraft just got legalised there, I hear.

Pandora might try to learn something about knocking.

Dan in commentary said:

don't think too hard about how a lot of people would use this power, because this is super tame and restrained by several magnitudes.

Yes, it's better to imagine it. :) And I don't believe she stopped so soon but completely understand Dan didn't wanted to draw the rest.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

OK, it's Friday, so Pandora's probably checking in to make sure Sarah's ready to step up spell usage to drain the area around the dam.

I think it's still Thursday? But yes, it might be time for specific instruction about the area.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think it's still Thursday?

Ahh, I had to go back to Friday's comic and the commentary there does say it's still Thursday. I guess I got thrown off by the fact that the last time we saw a scene switch to Sarah using her spell in while still in her pajamas was the start of a new day in the story, and I had thought Dan forgot to note it in the comic itself.

To literally knock, she'd probably have to physically manifest. Which would risk someone else seeing her. In the hall outside Sarah's room? Hard to explain her presence in the house. At the front door? Almost guarantees that someone other than Sarah would be aware of her - and then either she or Sarah would have to "explain" who she is and why she's coming there so early.

However, some OTHER protocol for warning Sarah that she's about to appear - perhaps even asking permission - could be devised. It would be a figurative knock.

Perhaps appearing facing away, or with her eyes scrunched closed?  It would still startle but not invade privacy as much.

Of course, Pandora probably would think it silly.  She's the one who made the doctor analogy.  She can observe you unseen at any time, why should she have to announce when she's going to let you know she's there?

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When humans develop technology to teleport, will those who teleport lose all respect for privacy and personal space?  That seems to be a frequent trait among those who teleport magically.

Let's see: when humans developed technology to talk to someone at any time and any space, how much respect they had for only talking at reasonable time on reasonable space? Right, we have phone ringing for that.

I suspect that there would be necessary to develop some teleport blocker, either really physically blocking teleportation or something the teleportation device would recognize and not allow teleportation to "protected" space.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

To literally knock, she'd probably have to physically manifest. Which would risk someone else seeing her. In the hall outside Sarah's room? Hard to explain her presence in the house. At the front door? Almost guarantees that someone other than Sarah would be aware of her - and then either she or Sarah would have to "explain" who she is and why she's coming there so early.

Standard protocol is knocking on window from outside :)

Note that she CAN verify noone is in the hall before appearing there.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

However, some OTHER protocol for warning Sarah that she's about to appear - perhaps even asking permission - could be devised. It would be a figurative knock.

If there is something she CAN do without manifesting and knocking is not, yes. Maybe flashing the light?

Also, generally, appearing with some sort of effect, even if that effect happens at the time you appear and not before, seem to be less surprising than appearing and starting talking. Although it likely wouldn't help in this case.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Of course, Pandora probably would think it silly.  She's the one who made the doctor analogy.  She can observe you unseen at any time, why should she have to announce when she's going to let you know she's there?

Yes, the main flaw is obviously that Pandora is not going to understand why she startled Sarah and why should she doing something complicated to prevent that next time.

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, the main flaw is obviously that Pandora is not going to understand why she startled Sarah and why should she doing something complicated to prevent that next time.

I think she knows why, but may have underestimated how startled Sarah would be. I think what Sarah was doing in her simulation might have been a factor as well, Pandora wouldn't know that Sarah was playing with catboy versions of her ex boyfriend, but to Sarah it's like Pandora walked in on her just finishing sexy fun times.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:44 PM, hkmaly said:

Let's see: when humans developed technology to talk to someone at any time and any space, how much respect they had for only talking at reasonable time on reasonable space? Right, we have phone ringing for that.

I suspect that there would be necessary to develop some teleport blocker, either really physically blocking teleportation or something the teleportation device would recognize and not allow teleportation to "protected" space.

We'd invent teleport blockers to prevent burglary, not just for privacy.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

The Schlock Mercenary universe did exactly this.  

The Terraport device let starships jump directly from point to point within the galaxy where before they used networks of interstellar gateways. 

Within a year, Terraport Area Denial was invented and deployed.  TAD made a volume of space impermeable to the method by which the Terraport works.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 06/08/2017 at 0:44 AM, hkmaly said:

Yeah, also that. Unless we will be already living in post-scarcity society and burglary would be rare while privacy concerns remains.

(For example, if we would already have replicators at that point, why exactly would someone teleport to my home to steal my computer if he can just scan some in shop and replicate it at home? Right, because he wants the private photos on that computer. So, privacy.)

19 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

The Schlock Mercenary universe did exactly this.  

The Terraport device let starships jump directly from point to point within the galaxy where before they used networks of interstellar gateways. 

Within a year, Terraport Area Denial was invented and deployed.  TAD made a volume of space impermeable to the method by which the Terraport works.

I think the primary concern wasn't burglary but warships terraporting through defense lines and attacking homewords.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think the primary concern wasn't burglary but warships terraporting through defense lines and attacking homewords.

The difference is only in scale, not principle.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

The difference is only in scale, not principle.

Not only there is much more destruction in war, the RATIO between stuff being destroyed and stolen is also vastly different. Especially in interplanetary war.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, also that. Unless we will be already living in post-scarcity society and burglary would be rare while privacy concerns remains.

(For example, if we would already have replicators at that point, why exactly would someone teleport to my home to steal my computer if he can just scan some in shop and replicate it at home? Right, because he wants the private photos on that computer. So, privacy.)

Someone might also want to steal your computer just to harass you--when I was in high school, students would steal each other's textbooks and homework and whatnot just to laugh at the victim's misfortune.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

Someone might also want to steal your computer just to harass you--when I was in high school, students would steal each other's textbooks and homework and whatnot just to laugh at the victim's misfortune.

Well I have similar experience from high school, but I sort of though most people grow out from such behaviour.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Most do, but those who don't are still fully capable of making other people's lives unpleasant.

We currently have approximately 179 of them sitting in the Danish Parliament.

Now, now, I thought this kind of talk belonged in the Political Thread. Besides, if you want to talk numbers ... ;) 

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Besides, if you want to talk numbers ...

0, 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40, 42, 44, 45, 46, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 54, 55...

33 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

0, 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40, 42, 44, 45, 46, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 54, 55...

Okay, my fading brainpower is showing. What sequence is this?