• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Wednesday June 7, 2017

Ok...so Ellen's copy spell is very selective on when Ellen would be able to copy abilities with the forms, almost like there's a will with a flair for the dramatic....

;)

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I couldn't afford the skulls. Not in this economy.

Necromancers usually don't BUY the skulls. Unless they are just starting.

Also, if it would be my story, the necromancer would totally have that scar only painted on. Based on images of necromancers who wrote books she's studying. Who also have it painted. For similar reasons. Some only had it painted ON THAT IMAGE.

... is she necromancer AND summoner? Dangerous combination.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Ok...so Ellen's copy spell is very selective on when Ellen would be able to copy abilities with the forms, almost like there's a will with a flair for the dramatic....

It's not so complicated selection. I think guardian form is basically only exception. And I'm still surprised the spellbook doesn't mention it. Although ... it may be one-time ; we don't know if she would be able to do it again.

(BTW, I think Dan already mentioned Ellen can't copy special abilities somewhere ... although probably not so clearly.)

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's not so complicated selection. I think guardian form is basically only exception. And I'm still surprised the spellbook doesn't mention it. Although ... it may be one-time ; we don't know if she would be able to do it again.

Hence my comment. The way Dan's been setting up this whole Will of Magic thing, with it being able to change the system, flair for the dramatic, the Emissary of Magic, it's like the Will of Magic IS the divine power that granted Nanase's request for help and also let Ellen copy the guardian form fully. But it's not guaranteed that Ellen would be able to copy the form again later.

There has been abundant speculation in this forum regarding the specifics of Ellen's copy spell and whether or not to count things like the Guardian Form flight among Ellen's abilities.

I think this NP pretty well confirms that the Guardian Form copy was an unusual event that is unlikely to ever be repeated.

Unless, of course, the author wants it to happen again.

As for the cult?  I would guess that their version of "Amazing Grace" would have significant differences from the traditional text found in most hymnals.  But depending upon the true evilness of the cult, it may still be played on bagpipes (or tortured cats, same sound).

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Hence my comment. The way Dan's been setting up this whole Will of Magic thing, with it being able to change the system, flair for the dramatic, the Emissary of Magic, it's like the Will of Magic IS the divine power that granted Nanase's request for help and also let Ellen copy the guardian form fully.

Good point. While still not completely confirmed (with Emissary talking about stuff like "mind or minds may not be applicable"), it does seem pointing in that direction.

On the other hand, magic was predictable enough young Jerry knew it would work.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I think this NP pretty well confirms that the Guardian Form copy was an unusual event that is unlikely to ever be repeated.

Unless, of course, the author wants it to happen again.

The guardian form copy is an unusual case, we still don't know if the event is unusual or if she would be able to copy guardian form always. After all, by definition, if Nanase is able to cast guardian form and Ellen is next to her, then Ellen also fulfils the conditions.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for the cult?  I would guess that their version of "Amazing Grace" would have significant differences from the traditional text found in most hymnals.  But depending upon the true evilness of the cult, it may still be played on bagpipes (or tortured cats, same sound).

Ellen already tried to be evil once. Didn't worked much. And evil Grace? I suspect that this would be the least evil cult in history of evil cults. Specifically, I don't think cats needs to be afraid.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(BTW, I think Dan already mentioned Ellen can't copy special abilities somewhere ... although probably not so clearly.)

Ok, I probably mixed that up with clone forms not being able to copy abilities. While Ellen having same limitations makes sense, it needs to be said, as the size limit for example don't limit her.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, magic was predictable enough young Jerry knew it would work.

True, though old Jerry was the one that pointed out Magic having a flair for the dramatic, maybe that knowledge carried over to Jerry 2.0 and which gave him the certainty that it would work. Jerry 2.0 knew about Not_Tengu enchanting the punch so he must have known what Not_Tengu was capable of, so he would have known that the danger was enough that Nanase should get her magic back, but even her guardian form wouldn't be a match for him alone. Knowing about Ellen's copy spell, Jerry wanted to be sure she used it to copy Nanase's guardian form rather than attempt to copy Not_Tengu, I don't think she would have tried to copy him anyway but if her attempts to transform him failed she might have resorted to trying to copy him.

It was probably a big gamble on Jerry's part in trying to guide Ellen into copying Nanase's guardian, but I think he had enough reason to believe it would work.