• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Friday June 9, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2358

Pandora "Box" definitely has what she learned about Tedd on her mind. I dunno if she's debating whether to say anything to Sarah about it though.

A thought came to me earlier, I wonder if Sarah would be able to figure out that "Box" is Adrian's mother. I mean Sarah knows that Adrian is half immortal through both Nanase telling the group about him fighting Abraham, as well as Jerry telling her, Grace and Susan that he'd be someone to go to for any help. Sarah also knows that "Box" is well beyond the 200 year mark. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that an Immortal that old might have been romantically involved with a human at some point and had a child.

I guess it might depend on what "Box" says next whether she gives away any other clues, but considering Sarah was quick to pick up on "Box" having "empowered" Moperville and all that, she's smart enough that she should pick up on "Box's" relation to Adrian.

I don't think Sarah has enough info yet to guess at Adrian having anything specific to do with Box.  At most, I can see her asking if she knows Mr. Raven, following with whether she knows his parent(s), but I think something would have to bring him to mind for the subject to be broached.

Sarah is showing how perceptive she is, as well as how kind.  It reflects well on her. :-)

Calm, collected, few words... Yup, something is different, if not wrong.

If boxes roll, then it would either be a spherical box, or a poorly-shaped box post-roll. Or a dice, doy.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Box learned something from Heka that has her distracted to a T. It's interfering with her daily hijinks. I do wish The Dan had said more about what it was.

She may or may not hint as something here, but I think Dan said that we will at least find out what a seers first purpose and Tedd's other ability are before the end of the arc. not sure about the second purpose though, wouldn't be surprised if Dan keep a lid on that for later.

I almost want to make Box in Panel twice my avatar.   A being of near ultimate power, totally bemused and/or confused by a simple human question.   I feel like that some days.  Normally when talking to a not technical person about computers.  Or a non-Linux person about FOS in general.

13 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I almost want to make Box in Panel twice my avatar.   A being of near ultimate power, totally bemused and/or confused by a simple human question.   I feel like that some days.  Normally when talking to a not technical person about computers.  Or a non-Linux person about FOS in general.

Box is... interesting throughout today's page. Much more quiet, pensive and... no, restrained is not the right word. 'Subdued', perhaps.

Which is almost frightening in its own right. It gives me a feeling of a potent and knowledgeable being contemplating matters that makes even her feel small.

Maybe what Pandora started to tell Pandora before the interplanetary "WHAT!?" panel ended that part of the story applies in some special way to Sarah. Maybe about a relationship between Sarah and herself Pandora did not suspect was possible before? That might explain the strange way she's looking at Sarah now.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe what Pandora started to tell Pandora before the interplanetary "WHAT!?" panel ended that part of the story applies in some special way to Sarah. Maybe about a relationship between Sarah and herself Pandora did not suspect was possible before? That might explain the strange way she's looking at Sarah now.

If humans have affinities because they are descended from fairies in some way, then yeah, Pandora might be seeing herself as more than just Adrian's mother.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If humans have affinities because they are descended from fairies in some way, then yeah, Pandora might be seeing herself as more than just Adrian's mother.

IF? It's very hard to imagine anything else fitting that conversation. It could've been "fairies", "elves" or "you", but the effect would be very similar.

Also, good point. While Susan (and Diane) are the ones most suspected from relationship to Raven due to how Adrian imagines his niece, Pandora might be just thinking about the fact that Sarah, too, is related to some immortal, possibly her ...

... although thinking about Tedd is still more likely.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It gives me a feeling of a potent and knowledgeable being contemplating matters that makes even her feel small.

It's hard to not feel small if you imagine universe well enough. It's even worse with multiverse.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

A being of near ultimate power, totally bemused and/or confused by a simple human question.   I feel like that some days.  Normally when talking to a not technical person about computers.  Or a non-Linux person about FOS in general.

Yup. Also, I totally predicted Pandora wouldn't understand why should she knock.

16 hours ago, Stature said:

If boxes roll, then it would either be a spherical box, or a poorly-shaped box post-roll. Or a dice, doy.

Anything can roll if thrown fast enough. And it would become poorly-shaped only if empty and not sturdy enough.

17 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't think Sarah has enough info yet to guess at Adrian having anything specific to do with Box.  At most, I can see her asking if she knows Mr. Raven, following with whether she knows his parent(s), but I think something would have to bring him to mind for the subject to be broached.

On the other hand, IF Pandora mentions Adrian, Sarah might get suspicious.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's hard to not feel small if you imagine universe well enough.

Very true. Nonetheless, I have the feeling that this is not something that happens to Pandora often.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's even worse with multiverse.

Especially when they reach plurals.

12 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's hard to not feel small if you imagine universe well enough.

Very true. Nonetheless, I have the feeling that this is not something that happens to Pandora often.

Her knowledge about rest of universe might be worse than Earth astronomers. If magic laws and/or the immortal laws keep them on Earth ...

(Unfortunately, we didn't saw how quickly Pandora travelled to Egypt.)

Alternatively, she doesn't have problem feeling small because she knows she's important anyway. Something like Zaphod Beeblebrox in that fake universe.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Alternatively, she doesn't have problem feeling small because she knows she's important anyway. Something like Zaphod Beeblebrox in that fake universe.

A sufficiently sized ego will normally have no problems. However, unusual situations may arise even for them at times.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, IF Pandora mentions Adrian, Sarah might get suspicious.

There's nothing in canon that proves Sarah knows anything about Adrian, even that he's Grace and Ellen's History teacher. Now Sarah is quite close to Grace now, but Grace seems pretty good at keeping secrets when she wants to. There's no indication that Grace has told Sarah that Sam is really physically female, a lesser secret than Adrian Raven being a half-immortal wizard, and Grace can't have told Sarah that Adrian is Pandora's son since Adrian has never told Grace more than that one of his parents was an Immortal.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

There's nothing in canon that proves Sarah knows anything about Adrian, even that he's Grace and Ellen's History teacher.

Yes there is, in Hammerchlorians Jerry mentions that there's half-Immortal that they can ask for help if needed and Grace, who's standing right next to Sarah, says "You mean Mr Raven? He's my History teacher." and then goes on to describe how they all already knew about him.

As for Sam, yes Grace would have kept that to herself because she would feel that's not her place to go telling everying, that and I think Sam might have asked her not to say anything after she made the comment about thinking only boys could grow beards.

And of course Grace doesn't know that Adrian is Pandora's son, but Grace is at least in the same position as Sarah to possibly connect them herself as well. The part that Grace seems to be keeping secret though, is how close to Tedd's family Adrian is, Adrian didn't go into a lot of detail, but he did tell her that he taught Tedd's parents and remained good friends with them after they graduated, and that he blames himself for Tedd's mom being more focused on her career than her family.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yes there is, in Hammerchlorians Jerry mentions that there's half-Immortal that they can ask for help if needed and Grace, who's standing right next to Sarah, says "You mean Mr Raven? He's my History teacher." and then goes on to describe how they all already knew about him.

Grace seems actually to be horrible with secrets. As Adrian said. Also, he told her to not tell anybody ...  oops. And talk with Tedd likely didn't helped ... I would say Grace is the one MOST likely to share everything with main eight. Although it's true that she IS able to keep relationship-related secrets, like Rhoda dating Catalina ... oh wait. (Still better than Catalina, though).

She can lie better than Elliot and can probably better keep secrets from people she sees like enemies, but from friends?

As for Sam, yes Grace would have kept that to herself because she would feel that's not her place to go telling everying, that and I think Sam might have asked her not to say anything after she made the comment about thinking only boys could grow beards.

She MIGHT be able to keep this secret, although I'm not sure how long if Sarah will be talking with her about dating Sam ...

And of course Grace doesn't know that Adrian is Pandora's son, but Grace is at least in the same position as Sarah to possibly connect them herself as well. The part that Grace seems to be keeping secret though, is how close to Tedd's family Adrian is, Adrian didn't go into a lot of detail, but he did tell her that he taught Tedd's parents and remained good friends with them after they graduated, and that he blames himself for Tedd's mom being more focused on her career than her family.

... but I don't believe she will keep secret this one. Like, she knows how Tedd reacts about mentions of his mom, so maybe that part, but I don't think she will keep secret that Adrian and Mr. Verres knows each other since school.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When Grace and Ellen started at MSHS, Nanase told Ellen that Mr Raven was Mama Kitsune's history teacher.

Also, Adrian teaching in the school long time is not exactly secret, yes.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

There's nothing in canon that proves Sarah knows anything about Adrian, even that he's Grace and Ellen's History teacher.

I missed that one, which gave me a real kick-myself moment, since Hammerchlorians is one of my favorite story arcs. But there's no evidence Sarah has ever actually met Adrian Raven. Even if Sarah had actually seen Adrian with his mother, she has no reason to connect the adult Pandora with the child "Box" unless sometime "off-screen" someone has told her that Immortals are shapechangers (although she might well have heard by now that Helen and Demetrius appeared both as normal-sized elves and as diminutive fairies--but even then, she might assume they were using fairy spells like Nanase and Susan.)

I don't agree that we've seen Grace being really bad at keeping secrets... except when valid need-to-know says they shouldn't be kept.

The main 8, as a semi-independent magical cabal, has valid need-to-know about other magic users in the area, particularly those who are likely to be significant allies (even if only of convenience), foes, or problems. Mr. Raven falls into that category (potential ally). Rhoda and Catalina being magic-users does also (potential problem, considering how poor THEY are at keeping secrets). And Noah (potential ally).

They don't have valid need-to-know about just how close Raven once was to Mr. and Mrs. Verres. We've seen no clear evidence that Grace has blabbed on that.

Nor on Rhoda and Catalina's relationship - see previous comment on those two.

Nor on Sam being trans, unless and until his relationship with Sarah progresses a good bit farther - at which point, hopefully, Sam will tell her himself. (And then it won't be need-to-know for the rest of the group, just for Sarah.)

2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Rhoda and Catalina being magic-users does also (potential problem, considering how poor THEY are at keeping secrets)

They've managed to keep the fact that they have magic a secret for a while apparently, Grace only knows because of the emissary and she so far hasn't approached Rhoda yet, and Sarah or Tedd hasn't approached Catalina because Grace told them about it. On the other side of the coin, Catalina has yet to approach Elliot about being Cheerleadra, I'm not certain that she would easily believe the decoy Cheerleadra sighting that Edward set up, but who knows.

On 06/11/2017 at 3:45 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Even if Sarah had actually seen Adrian with his mother, she has no reason to connect the adult Pandora with the child "Box" unless sometime "off-screen" someone has told her that Immortals are shapechangers (although she might well have heard by now that Helen and Demetrius appeared both as normal-sized elves and as diminutive fairies--but even then, she might assume they were using fairy spells like Nanase and Susan.)

Even if she know Immortals are shapechanges, being ABLE to look differently doesn't mean everyone is that person. Elliot AND Grace can basically look as any girl, Ellen has wide options is this area as well, and in fact anyone with help of TF gun, yet Sarah doesn't assume every girl she meet is one of them. Sarah knows there are at least four immortals around, so it's not particularly likely she will assume adult Pandora is Box based on both being immortals. Although both being over their expire date might be suspicious.

On 06/11/2017 at 3:55 AM, Don Edwards said:

I don't agree that we've seen Grace being really bad at keeping secrets... except when valid need-to-know says they shouldn't be kept.

Look again at her talking with Adrian ... OR with Jerry. She doesn't operate on need-to-know principle. She operates on friend/enemy principle. She tells almost everything to people she consider allies, she's just lucky that in most cases it really turns to be need-to-know.

They don't have valid need-to-know about just how close Raven once was to Mr. and Mrs. Verres. We've seen no clear evidence that Grace has blabbed on that.

There may be. Lot of information is connected and this may easily appear in conversation about Adrian.

Nor on Rhoda and Catalina's relationship - see previous comment on those two.

Nor on Sam being trans, unless and until his relationship with Sarah progresses a good bit farther - at which point, hopefully, Sam will tell her himself.

Yes, she probably will try to keep this secret. She wasn't doing so well in Rhoda and Catalina's relationship case, considering Ellen is sure about it, but she's trying.

EDIT: Plausible way how Grace may tell everyone about Adrian teaching Edward is actually clearly visible in this strip: They know that Adrian picked Ellen, Grace, Noah and Justin as favorites. Since Justin fought the fire guy, the conclusion he's picking people with magic potential is staightforward. Nanase is likely to mention again that her mother might've been his favorite as well and that she suspects her mother knows more about magic than she seems ... then suddenly, Adrian teaching Edward is relevant, important and totally need to know. It might also force Justin to admit that he knows about Noah having magic.

Paradoxically, only way she wouldn't need to tell is if Adrian picking people with magic potential will be considered so obvious they don't need confirmation.

BTW, on topic of information sharing ...

Nanase: "Uh, Grace, I would like to hear your opinion ... I don't like hiding stuff from Tedd, but ..."

(And that's only if Grace doesn't already know, after all she was there)

and

Grace: "Mr. Raven, when you were talking about Tedd's mom choosing career over family, what career exactly were you talking about?"

Adrian: "... I shouldn't be telling you this stuff if Edward didn't."

Grace: "Thanks for confirmation."

On 6/9/2017 at 10:38 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Can we drop your ego for a moment? This is important.
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"Nothing is more important than my egomania!"