• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday June 12, 2017

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I'm just wondering how the secret was kept when everybody who knew about the secret was gone. 

Sex is a pretty big thumb on the scale of behavior.  Elves are not going to say to themselves "I can't have kids so I just won't bother having the sex that would have the side effect of showing me I CAN have kids."  It's going to be more like: "WOO HOO!, No consequences!".  With no shadowy enforcers maintaining the lie, it's going to disappear on its own.  I''m surprised it hasn't.

Unless elves are not strictly INfertile but ARE not very fertile.  Mules or somesuch.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If male elves are certain they are infertile, then the women they impregnate were "obviously" having affairs with other men.

Female elves, that wouldn't work... but maybe elves are always male.

The small number of elves might've helped. Maybe elves are not necessary male BUT all elves alive at given point were ...

And yes. There might've been someone who decided to not have sex because it could've resulted in children but general populace is the "WOO HOO!, No consequences!" kind.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Catch is, if you trace EVERYONE'S ancestry far enough back, you get to a point where any given ancestor of anyone is an ancestor of everyone. And if you're looking at a geographically cohesive subset, say "Europe", you get to an equivalent point rather sooner. If a single elf was born in Europe 10,000 years ago, and has ANY surviving descendants, probably every living European would be a descendant of that elf.

Every living European and every American with European ancestors (which is majority of them) and ... basically, there was someone around say 5000 years ago who already have 90% "coverage" but those remaining 10% are making it hard. (Some estimates say that the MRCA was born 3000 years ago, but they may be too optimistic.)

We can therefore assume that either elves appeared relatively recently, or the magic heredity is more complicated than Noriko thinks.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Somewhere up our ancestral tree is swimming a lungfish we are all descended from. I knew this fad of breathing air and crawling on land wouldn't lead to anything good.

I think that any dolphin would confirm that breathing air was not that bad idea. The crawling bit, on the other hand ...