• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
JustBecauseICantDraw

mixing genes

Whoa. This is a lot like an idea I had back in 2000, for a fantasy setting in which two wizards from not-too-divergent branches of the Homo branch wanted to have kids, and created a female-only hybrid who could (in principle) reproduce with either side (though as of the events of the book, they were still being debugged, not yet considering having children - indeed, much of the book is centered on a certain extreme method of debugging).

In that case, though, males would be the same species as the father, while females would be the hybrid.

This real-life system is a considerably more involved process.

7 hours ago, Drachefly said:

Whoa. This is a lot like an idea I had back in 2000, for a fantasy setting in which two wizards from not-too-divergent branches of the Homo branch wanted to have kids, and created a female-only hybrid who could (in principle) reproduce with either side (though as of the events of the book, they were still being debugged, not yet considering having children - indeed, much of the book is centered on a certain extreme method of debugging).

In that case, though, males would be the same species as the father, while females would be the hybrid.

This real-life system is a considerably more involved process.

I did something similar in a more SF setting.  A hyper-intelligent adventurer-scientist creates a velociraptor sidekick by reverse engineering it from a cut-and-paste of genes from different current-day earth creatures.  Then uplifts it to sentience. 

When the sidekick wanted a family of its own he had to build a mate.   Not just a female version, not just a female version that could make kids, but a female version that that could make kids with this first creature and whose children were themselves capable of breeding and producing fertile children.  With a more individuals created and tossed into the mix (built according to the expected final genetics of the new race) to keep the family from being horribly inbred.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to conceive..."