• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Wednesday June 14, 2017

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Two things catch my attention here.

"They were his" means multiple kids, but also uses the past tense.

And exactly why do Immortals consistently choose to lie to future selves about this matter?

My first thought is that he might have had a wife and broke up with her accusing her of cheating when she got pregnant with "someone else's" children causing him allot of heartbreak. 

with Susan and Diane descended by those kids (it would take at least 2 generations for Adrian's black hair to be replaced with blond) possibly sharing a father. 

EDIt : Though with regards to immortals lying to themselves if that lie is Elven sterility then it only makes sense if to prevent the birth of elves in some way, or if all elves are male. as it would only take 1 girl elf getting pregnant to shatter the lie. 

3 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

My first thought is that he might have had a wife and broke up with her accusing her of cheating when she got pregnant with "someone else's" children causing him allot of heartbreak. 

I don't see Adrian breaking up with a woman for having children with another man if he believes he can't have children, even the horndog version. Look at how he cares for Noah. But Adrian has been around for a long time, long enough to have taken a series of wives, faithful or unfaithful, so he might have actually fathered and raised a number of children not believing they could have been his own.

Maybe everyone that Pandora has been marking in Moperville is a descendant of Adrian. Why in Moperville? It's almost as something or someone drew them there, isn't it?

Alternatively, the only thing exceptional about Moperville is the percentage of the people who have stumbled across something that woke their magical abilities. It could have happened anywhere. It actually did, in this particular city... which became "this particular city" precisely because it happened.

8 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Alternatively, the only thing exceptional about Moperville is the percentage of the people who have stumbled across something that woke their magical abilities. It could have happened anywhere. It actually did, in this particular city... which became "this particular city" precisely because it happened.

"This is the city: Moperville Ill.  I was working a routine Code Spooky case with my partner Joe Gannon..."

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't see Adrian breaking up with a woman for having children with another man if he believes he can't have children, even the horndog version. Look at how he cares for Noah. But Adrian has been around for a long time, long enough to have taken a series of wives, faithful or unfaithful, so he might have actually fathered and raised a number of children not believing they could have been his own.

I don't see Adrian breaking up with a woman for having children with another man NOW. But as you said, Adrian has been around for a long time. His regret about causing Noriko abandon family is causing him to treat Grace differently ; maybe he break up with a woman in past, later regret it and changed behaviour leading to him now caring about Noah?

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe everyone that Pandora has been marking in Moperville is a descendant of Adrian. Why in Moperville? It's almost as something or someone drew them there, isn't it?

You think small. Maybe number of Adrian descendants is over 10% in most of Europe and U.S., meaning Moperville having few dozens means we still didn't noticed few more thousands?

25 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

It actually DID happened everywhere to Nanase and Susan.

I think the only thing exceptional about Moperville is the percentage of the people who have stumbled across Adrian Raven and learnt magic from him.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I left the Kitsune Family out mainly because of another theory that seems very likely given recent information, that the reason that Tara saw royal heritage in Nanase, is because her ancestor also was the child of an Mortal and Fairy, I dunno if that means that Adrian specifically is her ancestor though, it was implied that Nanase's family of monster hunters goes back quite a ways and while we have no idea of how old Adrian is, it'd be hard to say whether he's related to Nanase, or if it was another Elf that started her family line.

Note the high probability that ALL magic users have Fairy ancestors. Specifically, that this was exactly what Heka said to Pandora before her "WHAT?".

So, unless the royal heritage is Nanase specifically being descended from Titania ...

13 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And exactly why do Immortals consistently choose to lie to future selves about this matter?

Because they are not as wise as they think?

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Putting aside the "who's their daddy?" question, the way I see this going is that Pandora is going to say she can't talk to Adrian now because he's the one who's going to take down the dam. And I think she won't get the chance later because she's going to get a forced reset in the climax of Sister III.

If she plans to ask Sarah to do it, she could've said the name already. I think she DO plans to talk to him AND in fact plans to tell him the bad news (because better now than later) BUT she's not looking forward to it.

15 hours ago, WR...S said:

Plus the fact that Susan's not a natural indigo.

She is NOW. Magic is perfectly natural.

15 hours ago, WR...S said:

Then again, everything about this arc (...by the way, any comment from Dan on how long it's going to be?  We're on part 13, and it feels fairly early still...)

I was already wondering about it, but note that while this arc has LOT of parts, it's not having so many PAGES. Yet.

17 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

Story arc title: Sister III. For some reason I thought it would be about Elliot and/or Ellen again.

It can be both. Remember the cover.

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Can be. Adrian can change his appearance. In fact, he seems to have some morphing ability like Grace. Without his elf ears, he can't taste magic. This is like Grace losing special senses when she morphs away her antennae.

Grace's morphing abilities are inborn. I think Adrian learnt transformation as a spell, so it's more like morphing ability like Elliot.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't see Adrian breaking up with a woman for having children with another man NOW. But as you said, Adrian has been around for a long time. His regret about causing Noriko abandon family is causing him to treat Grace differently ; maybe he break up with a woman in past, later regret it and changed behaviour leading to him now caring about Noah?

I like this possibility. BTW, it brings to mind the fourteen-year absence of Pandora in her son's life before Sister II. Could Adrian's involvement in the breakup of Edward and Noriko have something to do with that? Tedd would have been just old enough to remember his mother...

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

You think small. Maybe number of Adrian descendants is over 10% in most of Europe and U.S., meaning Moperville having few dozens means we still didn't noticed few more thousands?

That I don't buy. To father enough children to have that many descendants Adrian would have to have been a polygynous monarch like Genghis Khan or King Ibrahim of Morocco, or to have had the ability multiply himself 100 times for 100 women at a time like Krishna. Or both.

36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Ever thought that Helena and Demetrius could have followed Nanase and/or Susan from Moperville? It could be another thing forgotten by their reset.

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So, unless the royal heritage is Nanase specifically being descended from Titania ...

If you're talking about the Titania in the Sailor Moon fanfic I posted over a decade ago, the timing is wrong. (Haruka's oldest daughter.)

42 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
16 hours ago, WR...S said:

Plus the fact that Susan's not a natural indigo.

One of the very-long anime conventions in EGS is a broader spectrum of natural hair colors. Edward's hair is blue; Liz's is green. As for the NOW, a fuller explanation of why sudden hair-and-eye-color-change is accepted as natural among the muggles of the Mopervers was provided by Agent Cranium in Family Ties.

50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Grace's morphing abilities are inborn. I think Adrian learnt transformation as a spell, so it's more like morphing ability like Elliot.

Since Adrian and all other half-immortals have one parent with natural transformation abilities, I don't think it would be unexpected for some or all of them to have transformation abilities. It hasn't been proven or disproven. Adrian is the only half-Immortal we've been shown in the series, and now even his own beliefs of what's possible for himself and others of his kind has just been proven imperfect.

Maybe Dan could do some Q&A on this when Sister III is finished? I can only hope to live so long...

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

I left the Kitsune Family out mainly because of another theory that seems very likely given recent information, that the reason that Tara saw royal heritage in Nanase, is because her ancestor also was the child of an Mortal and Fairy, I dunno if that means that Adrian specifically is her ancestor though, it was implied that Nanase's family of monster hunters goes back quite a ways and while we have no idea of how old Adrian is, it'd be hard to say whether he's related to Nanase, or if it was another Elf that started her family line.

The Kitsunes seem to be a bit too pureblooded Japanese for Adrian to be in their ancestry. For example, that they speak Japanese fluently at home implies that they haven't been living in America for too many generations--Nanase's great-grandparents may have come over as young adults after WWII. I doubt that the majority of their ancestors were in America before the passing of the various Oriental Exclusion Acts early in the 20th century.

1 minute ago, ijuin said:

The Kitsunes seem to be a bit too pureblooded Japanese for Adrian to be in their ancestry. For example, that they speak Japanese fluently at home implies that they haven't been living in America for too many generations--Nanase's great-grandparents may have come over as young adults after WWII. I doubt that the majority of their ancestors were in America before the passing of the various Oriental Exclusion Acts early in the 20th century.

They also speak fluent French, and in the late 1800's there were a number of Japanese moving to France for periods of time, IF Adrian was living in France while Nanase's Great Great Grandmother was living there and if she was also a legendary monster hunter. Maybe they had an encounter?

9 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Actually Oriental Exclusion Acts were passed in the 19th century, aimed at Chinese. Japanese came over until they got completely excluded by immigration quotas in the early 1920s.

However, those white-favoring quotas were repealed in the mid 1960s, so the Kitsunes could have come over afterward in time for Nanase, Akiko, and even their parents to have been born in the United States. Or they could have been brought in as part of the same black operation that Edward Verres is a part of. Magic would have been part of the Moperverse's WWII and Cold War, of course, along with the suppression of knowledge that there really were space aliens visiting and even living on Earth.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That I don't buy. To father enough children to have that many descendants Adrian would have to have been a polygynous monarch like Genghis Khan or King Ibrahim of Morocco, or to have had the ability multiply himself 100 times for 100 women at a time like Krishna. Or both.

He had two children, each of then had two children in age of 20 (which is actually pessimistic for middle age) ... and it happened 600 years ago, so 30 generations, so 2^30 = over billion descendants. It will actually be less because some of those would marry with other descendants, but this simple calculation will tell you it IS possible.

Ever thought that Helena and Demetrius could have followed Nanase and/or Susan from Moperville? It could be another thing forgotten by their reset.

It still happened elsewhere :)

If you're talking about the Titania in the Sailor Moon fanfic I posted over a decade ago, the timing is wrong. (Haruka's oldest daughter.)

I don't think Shakespeare wrote Sailor Moon fanfic.

One of the very-long anime conventions in EGS is a broader spectrum of natural hair colors. Edward's hair is blue; Liz's is green. As for the NOW, a fuller explanation of why sudden hair-and-eye-color-change is accepted as natural among the muggles of the Mopervers was provided by Agent Cranium in Family Ties.

Yes.

Since Adrian and all other half-immortals have one parent with natural transformation abilities, I don't think it would be unexpected for some or all of them to have transformation abilities. It hasn't been proven or disproven. Adrian is the only half-Immortal we've been shown in the series, and now even his own beliefs of what's possible for himself and others of his kind has just been proven imperfect.

Of course that's also possible. But regarding what is proven, we don't know if the way Pandora shapeshifts is normal for immortals or it's just due to her age. It's possible younger immortals shapeshifting is more limited.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:
36 minutes ago, ijuin said:

They also speak fluent French, and in the late 1800's there were a number of Japanese moving to France for periods of time, IF Adrian was living in France while Nanase's Great Great Grandmother was living there and if she was also a legendary monster hunter. Maybe they had an encounter?

Note that IF she already was a legendary monster hunter it would likely means another immortal was already between her ancestors. At least I suspect that being "legendary monster hunter" requires magical abilities.

But yes, I think they got to America through France. Would explain why Noriko went to France (or is said to).

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Magic would have been part of the Moperverse's WWII and Cold War, of course, along with the suppression of knowledge that there really were space aliens visiting and even living on Earth.

They (I mean the family, obviously Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune were not born yet) left Japan in 1945 or maybe early 1946 as parts of demilitarization of Japan. Japan was not allowed to keep magic users with this level of power, as written in secret amendment of Potsdam Declaration.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note that IF she already was a legendary monster hunter it would likely means another immortal was already between her ancestors. At least I suspect that being "legendary monster hunter" requires magical abilities.

That is true, my point was that based on what Noriko had said, it would seem like those in their family who are born with strong magic are encouraged to find mates who are also of strong magic to ensure that the next generation would be able to carry on the family business. So yeah, while Nanase's Great Great Grandmother might already be a legendary monster hunter, if she encountered Adrian, even if all she knew of him was that he was a wizard, she might have considered him worthy to father a child with her.

Of course, yes there are complications to how this would occur, like Adrian believing it impossible to have kids, maybe she didn't plan on actually telling him, a one night stand maybe, he would likely have allowed it to happen in a "Well, I can't get her pregnant so no harm in indulging" and she just never sees him again.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:
41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That is true, my point was that based on what Noriko had said, it would seem like those in their family who are born with strong magic are encouraged to find mates who are also of strong magic to ensure that the next generation would be able to carry on the family business. So yeah, while Nanase's Great Great Grandmother might already be a legendary monster hunter, if she encountered Adrian, even if all she knew of him was that he was a wizard, she might have considered him worthy to father a child with her.

Actually, her comments suggest to me more that they didn't even put lot of effort into it - BUT it was probably happening anyway because due to their job they tended to only meet people with strong magic, so ...

BTW, remember this page? Maybe Ellen should check with Edward - just because it's not part of official history on this Earth doesn't mean Uryuoms didn't actually fought in the American revolutionary war ...

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, her comments suggest to me more that they didn't even put lot of effort into it - BUT it was probably happening anyway because due to their job they tended to only meet people with strong magic, so ...

The whole "between my bloodline and Edward's" and "It always was for my family" lines are what I base my comment on, I can't really say how it was for Edward's family but I get the impression that Noriko's family would have been all about tradition and ensuring that those traditions get passed to the next generation, Mama Kitsune's treatment of Nanase early on is strong evidence, expecting Nanase to study all the time and such even though she's supposed to become a housewife, having other skills would go a long way to ensuring finding a mate, and it would be expected that a potential mate would be equally skilled and such. There's also the possibility that Mama Kitsune knew for a while that Nanase was a potentially strong magic user and wanted to make sure she was prepared to find a suitable mate. Maybe Mama Kitsune's homophobia was along the lines of "noo, you can't be gay! My sister failed our family in continuing the line so you're our best hope!

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

He had two children, each of then had two children in age of 20 (which is actually pessimistic for middle age) ... and it happened 600 years ago, so 30 generations, so 2^30 = over billion descendants. It will actually be less because some of those would marry with other descendants, but this simple calculation will tell you it IS possible.

Possible in theory. Current guesstimates based on genetic studies suggest that about 1% of the men living today have a marker in their Y-chromosome that came from a man who lived around Genghis Khan's time, and it seems likely that a more or less equal percentage of women are many-times-great-granddaughters of this man who may have been the greatest conqueror so far. Adrian would have to have been very busy and/or fertile to best that record.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

...Noriko's family would have been all about tradition and ensuring that those traditions get passed to the next generation....Maybe Mama Kitsune's homophobia was along the lines of "noo, you can't be gay! My sister failed our family in continuing the line so you're our best hope!

Yes to Noriko's attitude, but no to her sister's. Mama Kitsune has made exactly the opposite commitment: Family comes before everything, including any tradition that could break up family.

Tedd and Nanase are the same age. Probably Nanase was tested for magic potential with the same wand that scares Tedd at about the same time. Noriko's sister having a child showing high magical potential would have been an embarrassment for Noriko, especially if Nanase's father doesn't have any magic, or at least strong magic.

In fact, I now wonder why Nanase's mother seems to be okay with Nanase going to the school where Adrian teaches; she must know the role Adrian played in the breakup of Noriko's marriage and her desertion of Tedd.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The whole "between my bloodline and Edward's" and "It always was for my family" lines are what I base my comment on, I can't really say how it was for Edward's family but I get the impression that Noriko's family would have been all about tradition and ensuring that those traditions get passed to the next generation

Sure. That doesn't mean they were deliberately searching for best other bloodlines to combine with. Although anyone marrying someone completely without magic likely wouldn't get much approval from parents.

Mama Kitsune's treatment of Nanase early on is strong evidence, expecting Nanase to study all the time and such even though she's supposed to become a housewife, having other skills would go a long way to ensuring finding a mate, and it would be expected that a potential mate would be equally skilled and such. There's also the possibility that Mama Kitsune knew for a while that Nanase was a potentially strong magic user and wanted to make sure she was prepared to find a suitable mate.

Nah ... Mama Kitsune never expected Nanase to be housewife. She just didn't wanted to explain what she actually expect she will be doing.

Personally, I think it was because she didn't exactly like this part of tradition, but first, SHE won't be breaking tradition, and second, the fate will ensure it will happen anyway.

Maybe Mama Kitsune's homophobia was along the lines of "noo, you can't be gay! My sister failed our family in continuing the line so you're our best hope!

Mama Kitsune didn't agree with what Noriko did, despite Noriko continuing with monster hunting. So, she likely wanted some other part of tradition preserved, like the family values perhaps?

Or wait: what if Mrs. Kitsune hates Noriko because with Noriko disappearing into Europe without leaving suitable heir, she was forced to prepare her precious Nanase to monster hunting? She don't like that but tradition is too important for her ...

... I'm really looking forward for finding out more about what happened between those two.

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Possible in theory. Current guesstimates based on genetic studies suggest that about 1% of the men living today have a marker in their Y-chromosome that came from a man who lived around Genghis Khan's time, and it seems likely that a more or less equal percentage of women are many-times-great-granddaughters of this man who may have been the greatest conqueror so far. Adrian would have to have been a very busy to best that record.

Not all Genghis Khan's male descendants have this chromosome. Son of (any of) his daughter(s), for example, wouldn't have it. So, the actual number of living descendants of Genghis Khan is much bigger (and much harder to compute).

Also, you know ... he doesn't need to best it alone. While I estimated Adrian's age to 600, it was just guess. Maybe he's 800 years old and Genghis Khan is his grandson.

13 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes to Noriko's attitude, but no to her sister's. Mama Kitsune has made exactly the opposite commitment: Family comes before everything, including any tradition that could break up family.

Tedd and Nanase are the same age. Probably Nanase was tested for magic potential with the same wand that scares Tedd at about the same time. Noriko's sister having a child showing high magical potential would have been an embarrassment for Noriko, especially if Nanase's father doesn't have any magic, or at least strong magic.

If Noriko was all about magic and Kitsune wasn't, then Nanase might've been tested later. I can imagine Noriko testing Nanase AFTER testing Tedd (of course with Mrs. Kitsune approval, but reluctant approval), then returning to Tedd and testing him again ...

In fact, I now wonder why Nanase's mother seems to be okay with Nanase going to the school where Adrian teaches; she must know the role Adrian played in the breakup of Noriko's marriage and her desertion of Tedd.

Because Adrian promised he leaves her alone?

Or, as I said: She doesn't like it, but she's aware it will happen anyway. Fate, flair for drama etc. She tries to postpone it and tries to force importance of other values into Nanase, but at the same time makes sure when it happens Nanase will have big chance to survive. When she realized Nanase awakened (probably not so long after returning from France), her reaction likely was "Sigh. So soon." .... maybe even "Adrian was right." as it would totally make sense for Adrian to tell her that with Nanase's magic potential there is no way she won't get magic.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe he's 800 years old and Genghis Khan is his grandson.

And maybe Nanase is a descendant of Ghengis Khan. According to a 14th century chronicler, the Great Khan had red hair and green eyes.

Yeah, but Mama Kitsune could still try to follow family tradition, just that she's doing it differently than what her sister did.

22 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Because Adrian promised he leaves her alone?

Or, as I said: She doesn't like it, but she's aware it will happen anyway. Fate, flair for drama etc. She tries to postpone it and tries to force importance of other values into Nanase, but at the same time makes sure when it happens Nanase will have big chance to survive. When she realized Nanase awakened (probably not so long after returning from France), her reaction likely was "Sigh. So soon." .... maybe even "Adrian was right."

There's also the fact they for some reason, they decided to live within the MSHS school district rather than move somewhere in the MNHS district. Of course they would have moved in to their home before Noriko took off and Mama Kitsune developed her dislike of Adrian and didn't feel it was worth it to try to move somewhere else.

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

"This is the city: Moperville Ill.  I was working a routine Code Spooky case with my partner Joe Gannon..."

The comic you are about to read is true.  Only the facts have been changed to protect the author from actual research.

early 1946 as parts of demilitarization of Japan. Japan was not allowed to keep magic users with this level of power, as written in secret amendment of Potsdam Declaration.

The stories of American and Soviet agents searching Germany for Wernher von Braun and the other rocket scientists and technology at the end of the war have become the stuff of legend.  The search for wizards and magic items could have been similarly epic.  Don't forget that in our own "mundane" universe, Herr Schicklgruber spent significant resources on occult pursuits.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

A lot of dyes are natural, but they don't change your natural hair color.  The point is she wouldn't look like Raven's hypothetical daughter without an external change.

1 hour ago, WR...S said:

The point is she wouldn't look like Raven's hypothetical daughter without an external change.

Ever considered that the magic mirror may be showing exactly what Raven thinks his "niece" should look like? Especially since Adrian was probably the one who enchanted it. And those sidelocks...Have you noticed that the adult form of Pandora wears sidelocks?

Of course, Grace wears sidelocks too, and bangs when she isn't deploying her antennae, so the image she sees could be an image based on her own idea of herself as Mr. Raven's niece would look like.

Gee, I just might have just given Dan a free retcon if he decides Adrian shouldn't be the daddy after all.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The stories of American and Soviet agents searching Germany for Wernher von Braun and the other rocket scientists and technology at the end of the war have become the stuff of legend.  The search for wizards and magic items could have been similarly epic.

Von Braun was hiding. Nanase's family might not. They still needed to leave.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Don't forget that in our own "mundane" universe, Herr Schicklgruber spent significant resources on occult pursuits.

Although according to official history none of those worked. :)

1 hour ago, WR...S said:

A lot of dyes are natural, but they don't change your natural hair color.

Also, they grow out. I mean, the hair will grow with natural color. Susan's change is permanent.

1 hour ago, WR...S said:

The point is she wouldn't look like Raven's hypothetical daughter without an external change.

We'll see what will be Diane's hair color after awakening :)

(Ok, the reason Susan's hair changed was probably because she hated being blond, but we can't completely rule out that changing hair color during awakening is NORMAL for Raven's relatives. Maybe one of her ancestors changed color to blond in HER awakening.)

34 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ever considered that the magic mirror may be showing exactly what Raven thinks his "niece" should look like? Especially since Adrian was probably the one who enchanted it. And those sidelocks...Have you noticed that the adult form of Pandora wears sidelocks?

There was nothing magical about that mirror. Raven cast spell on Grace which changed her appearance to anyone looking at her except Raven and her, and the exception didn't worked through mirror.