• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Library of Congress Webcomic Web Archive

The United States Library of Congress, caretaker of copyrights for this country and main aggregator of published works in the United States, has begun a Webcomic Web Archive. Several well-known works are already in the archive, such as Hark! A Vagrant, xkcd, Girl Genius, Shortpacked, and Girly.

I think if those are in there, then EGS deserves to be in there, hands down.

I used the linked contact form to appeal to the curators to add EGS. I made sure to include a mention of the criteria listed on their main page that EGS fits in my request. I don't know if multiple requests would help the cause, so I leave it up to you as to whether or not you wish to join in. I hope you will.

I've also sent in a similar request form as of five minutes ago. Though isn't it possible that Dan just doesn't want EGS to be archived for an undisclosed reason?

46 minutes ago, spyrkle10 said:

I've also sent in a similar request form as of five minutes ago. Though isn't it possible that Dan just doesn't want EGS to be archived for an undisclosed reason?

All I can think of to find out is to write Dan and ask. I'll do so myself.

ETA: Which is now done.

35 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

neither is Sluggy Freelance or Megatokyo...

The list is sorely lacking at this time. Now is our chance to make sure that worthy webcomics—like EGS—get included.

Another problem is that their source for pages of a comic from prior to when THEY start archiving it, apparently is SOME OTHER archive site - NOT an archive-crawl of the comic's own site. All the archive sites I've looked at are rather hit-and-miss on actually having the graphics of comic pages.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Kevin & Kell isn't on there???

It should be for no other reason as being the 1st web comic.

3 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

Also, is it weird that Shortpacked! is included but It's Walky! isn't?

Also Roomies, and Dumbing of Age (AKA Roomies 2.0)

On 6/15/2017 at 3:44 PM, The Old Hack said:

All I can think of to find out is to write Dan and ask. I'll do so myself.

ETA: Which is now done.

Did you get a response back? I'm not sure if this tweet counts as a yay or nay on the subject.

On June 16 2017,  Dan Shive said:
I don't really understand the library of congress.

The Library of Congress was originally just that.  A reference library for members of Congress to use while preparing legislation.  Following the damage to the Capitol by the Brits in the War of 1812, Thomas Jefferson donated his personal library to replace what had burned.  Along the way through tradition and eventually legislation, multiple copies of every book published in the United States would be added to the collection of the Congressional library.  Although the general public may not remove items from the Library of Congress, much of the collection is open to the public and the reading rooms are very popular with students and researchers of all types in the vicinity of the District of Columbia.  Some of the most interesting political protests arise when the Library must close or severely restrict the public access due to budget or security concerns.  The cataloging system of the Library of Congress is often used in university and other research libraries.  It is practically the only competitor to Commodore Dewey's Decimal System for library organization in America.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

No. I figure he is busy. I wrote it purely as a heads up, I do not expect him to answer, really.

His response from Facebook:

I don't know what the process is, but I don't feel slighted. There are tons of comics out there, and I was a fan of Phil Foglio before EGS even existed.

I would take this as a "meh," therefore as a go ahead or don't—I don't care.