• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Friday June 16, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=630

To be fair, despite Ellen being born by magic, her talent likely isn't as big as Rhoda's AND resizing is Rhoda's affinity.

Also, good example why is this not canon: in canon, Ellen will NOT be surprised she has this spell (unless that was her reaction for reading it in spellbook) AND will not complain Rhoda has better especially considering she doesn't know it.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=630

To be fair, despite Ellen being born by magic, her talent likely isn't as big as Rhoda's AND resizing is Rhoda's affinity.

Also, good example why is this not canon: in canon, Ellen will NOT be surprised she has this spell (unless that was her reaction for reading it in spellbook) AND will not complain Rhoda has better especially considering she doesn't know it.

She might be mildly disappointed that her shrink spell has the same limits at the TFG considering she's able to push the limits of FV5 for someone like Greg. And I believe she will find out about Rhoda's magic sometime soon, and be a little envious that Rhoda is better at shrinking, but will likely understand why.

So limits carry on. How conveniently consistent.

Then the beams are like a demo version, yet Rhoda is Ant-man incarnate.

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And I believe she will find out about Rhoda's magic sometime soon

I don't. Well, maybe "soon" in terms of comic time, but I don't think it will appear before the battle with Vampires on Friday.

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

and be a little envious that Rhoda is better at shrinking, but will likely understand why.

... maaaaaybe.

22 minutes ago, Stature said:

So limits carry on. How conveniently consistent.

It's probably physical limit. Remember how Adrian was categorizing how much growing spell is breaking physical laws? I think that when you want to go over the 1/2 limit, you need to break additional law.

22 minutes ago, Stature said:

yet Rhoda is Ant-man incarnate

Actually, her current limits are still not as OP as Ant-mans. (How she shrunk Catalina was her limit.)

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

DO NOT LET AMANDA FIND OUT ABOUT THIS

Why? Amanda already had shrinking soda with better abilities ...

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Why? Amanda already had shrinking soda with better abilities ...

Exactly.  Amanda already HAD shrinking soda.  She knows the results.  If Amanda, Lisa, and Chicka find out about Ellen's ability, they will be distracted by yet another new toy and not get any new research done at Germahn Labs.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

What happens if you shrink a 2-liter bottle of Shrink Soda down to a 20 oz. size and then get Amanda to drink it?

Well, we know Rhoda's spell has side effects when used on food.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

What happens if you shrink a 2-liter bottle of Shrink Soda down to a 20 oz. size and then get Amanda to drink it?

I suspect this would be an algebra problem where if you divide by a fraction, you invert and multiply.

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

...and then have Rhoda shrink Amanda

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Well, we know Rhoda's spell has side effects when used on food.

Is that really "side" effect? It may be normal expected thing which will be supposed happen when you eat anything resized. Like, it's either that or the resized stuff being dangerous toxin, and we know transformations in EGS is ridiculously safe.

However, the effect of shrink soda doesn't seem to depend on amount AND works even by contact, doesn't need to be digested ... therefore, I would assume it already shrinks as much as it can and neither the bigger amount nor the additional resizing by the "side" effect of Rhoda's spell will result in any additional shrinking.

Also note that Amanda seem to end up being similar size as Catalina was after application of shrink soda.

(And finally ... what IS shrink soda actually made from? Could it be normal soda shrunk by Rhoda? Wait ... that would have gigantic amount of calories ...)

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

...and then have Rhoda shrink Amanda

Again, while the effects may be cumulative when NOT at maximum, the limits are not cumulative and Amanda shrunk to minimal size possible with shrink soda will be so shrunk Rhoda wouldn't be able to shrink her more.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect this would be an algebra problem where if you divide by a fraction, you invert and multiply.

Unlikely.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Is that really "side" effect? It may be normal expected thing which will be supposed happen when you eat anything resized. Like, it's either that or the resized stuff being dangerous toxin, and we know transformations in EGS is ridiculously safe.

Both Rhoda and Dan called it a side effect, though for us it can easily be a bonus. ;)

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

However, the effect of shrink soda doesn't seem to depend on amount AND works even by contact, doesn't need to be digested ... therefore, I would assume it already shrinks as much as it can and neither the bigger amount nor the additional resizing by the "side" effect of Rhoda's spell will result in any additional shrinking.

I think a lot of this has to do with Dan's treatment of the tea in pinups, the more you drink, the greater the effect. Yeah those are non-canon and most likely exaggerations, but that hasn't stopped people from thinking it can be applied to canon.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also note that Amanda seem to end up being similar size as Catalina was after application of shrink soda.

Yeah, I think there is a hard limit to how small someone can be shrunk or grown, though I would expect that if the shrink soda alone didn't get Amanda to 1/7th size, Rhoda's enchantment on it probably could have finished the job.

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I think a lot of this has to do with Dan's treatment of the tea in pinups, the more you drink, the greater the effect. Yeah those are non-canon and most likely exaggerations, but that hasn't stopped people from thinking it can be applied to canon.

It's non-cannon, yes ... but more importantly, it's different beverage and different effect. Similarly, Ellen's FV5 is fixed, but with the FV5 sunscreen the effect vary with amount.

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, I think there is a hard limit to how small someone can be shrunk or grown, though I would expect that if the shrink soda alone didn't get Amanda to 1/7th size, Rhoda's enchantment on it probably could have finished the job.

There are two, actually. One is for TF-gun, one is for Rhoda and shrink soda. It's possible you can make person even smaller, BUT it would then (need to) be spicy magic, while Rhoda's is sweet and TF-gun may still follow square-cube law.

And yes, if the shrink soda wouldn't be enough, Rhoda can finish the job. She can also speed it up.

59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There are two, actually. One is for TF-gun, one is for Rhoda and shrink soda. It's possible you can make person even smaller, BUT it would then (need to) be spicy magic, while Rhoda's is sweet and TF-gun may still follow square-cube law.

The TFG's limit might be comparable to hardware limits in computing, like 16bit vs 32bit vs 64bit architecture, Tedd being able to get past the limit on the TFG may require him being able to completely redesign it.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The TFG's limit might be comparable to hardware limits in computing, like 16bit vs 32bit vs 64bit architecture, Tedd being able to get past the limit on the TFG may require him being able to completely redesign it.

The hardware limits on the TF gun could be why Tedd shifted over to working with Earth-type magic instead of Uryouom energy.

31 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The hardware limits on the TF gun could be why Tedd shifted over to working with Earth-type magic instead of Uryouom energy.

Tedd shifted to Earth-type magic because Uryuom energy based device can't transform clothes. He overcome that limitation without problems. The limits for resize seem to hold AND I really think that what Adrian said, despite not mentioning any specific limit, is confirming my theory that the limits are not based on device but on method of shrinking.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(And finally ... what IS shrink soda actually made from? Could it be normal soda shrunk by Rhoda? Wait ... that would have gigantic amount of calories ...)

Sugar-free Shrink Soda?

Anyway, I wonder if Ellen's beam will work in reverse and let her enlarge a target to double size as well.

6 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Anyway, I wonder if Ellen's beam will work in reverse and let her enlarge a target to double size as well.

I was about to say it wouldn't but I double checked the comic where Grace explains it to Sarah and I guess "about 26% bigger" is considered double size. So assuming Ellen can grow someone bigger, she probably could.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Sugar-free Shrink Soda?

Even if it would be just water with fizz - wait. Maybe it IS water with fizz and it only tastes due to some weird effect related to being shrunk.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

IMHO we will see on Monday - if she has such spell, it will be mentioned immediately after shrinking.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

IMHO we will see on Monday - if she has such spell, it will be mentioned immediately after shrinking.

Not necessarily, the "fusion paste" spell wasn't immediately after the "scan/paste" spell. Althought that was because Dan wanted to keep people from speculating abilities being copied or mixed. I guess if Dan felt the need to clarify anything from this page, it could be whether or not she can grow people.

Now that I think of it though, the comic specifically said "shrink ray" which would mean this particular spell can only shrink people and stuff. So it probably would have to be a separate spell that allows Ellen to make people and stuff bigger.