• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Friday June 16, 2017

... are we better than twitter and tumblr? Dan must be aware that we already speculated this out ...

But yes: it makes complete sense that Pandora doesn't want to tell Sarah.

Also, Sister 3 being the longest chapter ever confirmed. Will we even get any other chapter?

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

HUG HER, SARAH!!!!

YES.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, Sister 3 being the longest chapter ever confirmed. Will we even get any other chapter?

I half-heartedly blame scheduling, but hey, we have not gotten to the real good stuff yet.

20 minutes ago, Scotty said:

HUG HER, SARAH!!!!

HUG HER, BOX!!!!

17 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That should at least take care of the magic build-up problem

Or maybe tear holes in the continuum and open up gates to universes we'd rather not have immigration from.

At this point I'm wondering if Dan is thinking of ending the comic. A reset for everybody is a logical way to close. But at least Dan doesn't seem to have a cherished, mistaken notion that he should really be moving on. Examples:

• James Cameron postponing Avatar 2 endlessly, after postponing his promised Battle Angel Alita movie to death.
  • CD Rudd planning on ending Sailormoon.org for Wolfpac, a comic that he's been telling himself he's going to do for approximately forever. (Also his "final story" has been going on for years now.)
  • JK Rowling's post-Harry Potter work.
  • Wayne Rogers and MacClean Stevenson leaving M*A*S*H after three seasons go straight to obscurity.
  • Everything  Naoko Takeuchi did after Sailor Moon.

So is this the end of BFFs? Today's comic doesn't seem to have a cliff to hang anything from. Despite her desperate curiosity, Sarah is giving Box a pass on telling her more, choosing instead to comfort and re-assure. Very Sarah-like, but not pointing to any more plot development in this sequence.

26 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

At this point I'm wondering if Dan is thinking of ending the comic. A reset for everybody is a logical way to close.

Quite the contrary: if he would plan to end the comic, he wouldn't need reset.

But the main problem with this is that if you look at the plot threads, the reset (and Tedd being seer) is something which was being prepared for LONG time. I mean, sure, the hints MIGHT've been originally prepared for something else, but I think it goes together too well.

That's why I don't even think the reset is his way to "fix" some mistakes he did earlier.

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, that was the original ending to Sailor Moon. There wasn't anything planned after the first series. All the Sailor Senshi (I will not call them "scouts") went back to the way they were, as if it had never happened. Kind of a Wizard of Oz ending.

It's a logical way for a  fantastic story to end if you really want to end for good. Of course, neither Sailor Moon nor the Oz books ended with the first. I read quite a few Oz books soon after I learned to read, and I didn't read all of them.

7 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I don't see a reset. I just see a lie being corrected by a mother to her son.

I don't see Pandora resetting herself because of this, at least until she's sure her family is safe enough and that magic won't reset. What I mean when I say I suspect this arc will end with Pandora resetting is that Pandora will do something to save her family that she knows breaks the rules, probably in the final confrontation with Sirleck and/or Voltaire. It's also possible and consistent with the setup that Pandora and Voltaire will destroy each other, but I hope Pandora will be reborn, preferably as a small child or even an infant. Again, I evoke Sailor Moon for a precedent: What I think is the very best moment in the 1990s anime is the end of the third series when Sailor Moon returns from the final battle with the infant Sailor Saturn in her arms.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, that was the original ending to Sailor Moon. There wasn't anything planned after the first series. All the Sailor Senshi (I will not call them "scouts") went back to the way they were, as if it had never happened. Kind of a Wizard of Oz ending.

It's a logical way for a  fantastic story to end if you really want to end for good. Of course, neither Sailor Moon nor the Oz books ended with the first. I read quite a few Oz books soon after I learned to read, and I didn't read all of them.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (that's the name of original novel) ended with "it was a dream", actually.

But magic reset won't accomplish story reset here. Actually, there is no story reset possible in GOOD story, but specifically here, we can't claim true reset unless ELLEN WILL DISAPPEAR - and magic reset can't do that. Also, Grace will be completely unaffected by magic reset.

I didn't. Those !@#$ lazy translators didn't bothered with any except the first. But yes, I'm aware it was much longer ...

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I don't see a reset. I just see a lie being corrected by a mother to her son.

I don't see Pandora resetting herself because of this, at least until she's sure her family is safe enough and that magic won't reset. What I mean when I say I suspect this arc will end with Pandora resetting is that Pandora will do something to save her family that she knows breaks the rules, probably in the final confrontation with Sirleck and/or Voltaire. It's also possible and consistent with the setup that Pandora and Voltaire will destroy each other, but I hope Pandora will be reborn, preferably as a small child or even an infant.

Pandora being reset, yes, that would be possible.

Note that 1) I don't think you can destroy immortal in any more permanent way than reseting him 2) We didn't saw if Jerry, Helena or Demetrius were infants, but I doubt it - or it didn't last long. They actually didn't even seem as children - PANDORA is currently looking younger than them.

53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I didn't. Those !@#$ lazy translators didn't bothered with any except the first. But yes, I'm aware it was much longer ...

I guess you didn't get the Cartoon Network back in the 1990s. The first two series were done (horribly) by DIC, (Negaverse and  the Tenth Planet) but someone else did three and four (Witches 5 and the Dead Moon Circus) for the Cartoon Network. The fifth series Sailor Moon series hasn't been dubbed as far as I know. Why not?

It has Senshi who change from men into women!

Yup, still considered to be something we can never expose tender young minds to.

I haven't checked Kinokuniya, though; it's possible there's a version with English subtitles. If you haven't heard of Kinokuniya, it is the go-to brick-and-mortar chain for anime and manga in America, and we have two of them around the bay, one in San Francisco and one right here in San Jose. It's where I got all my now-lost tankouban for The School of Water BusinessNegima, Gunnm, etc. Also DVDs of Porco Rosso and Ponyo--also lost.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We didn't saw if Jerry, Helena or Demetrius were infants, but I doubt it - or it didn't last long. They actually didn't even seem as children - PANDORA is currently looking younger than them.

Based on Jerry saying he'd be out of commission for a few weeks, it makes me wonder if Immortals spend that time essentially like a fetus in a mother's womb, except they are born fully developed looking like 16-20 year olds rather than babies and having at least all the essential skills and knowledge that a teenager would have.

Pandora looking younger, likely just has to do with her choice in looking like how she feels at any particular moment, we saw during her discussion with Disco Wizard, she went from adult, to child, then to teenager and back to adult and each time there was a personality shift that reflected it.

One would thing that because of "Box's" behaviour now, she shouldn't be in her child form, or at the very least, look like she did when she was 166 years old(first panel), but it's likely she chose to remain a child for Sarah. Dan's commentary about it all being revealed before then end of Sister III makes me hopeful that Sarah doesn't only know Pandora as a kid.

First off, I don't see Dan resetting the comic - he's mentioned repeatedly that he has all these college-age stories he wants to do, and didn't plan on the cast still being in high-school this far into the comic's life. *shrug* That being said...

Best of luck Pandora - if your son encounters Tara and/or Andrea, they will most likely say something, and I don't know that your relationship with Adrian would be able to recover from that, unless you witness it and pop in to apologize and tell him you yourself *just* found out from Hetep. : (

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Pandora looking younger, likely just has to do with her choice in looking like how she feels at any particular moment, we saw during her discussion with Disco Wizard, she went from adult, to child, then to teenager and back to adult and each time there was a personality shift that reflected it.

One would thing that because of "Box's" behaviour now, she shouldn't be in her child form, or at the very least, look like she did when she was 166 years old(first panel), but it's likely she chose to remain a child for Sarah. Dan's commentary about it all being revealed before then end of Sister III makes me hopeful that Sarah doesn't only know Pandora as a kid.

I suspect Pandora is feeling very vulnerable right now.  That's probably as much a factor in her appearing as a child right now as is the fact that Sarah only knows her in this form so far.

3 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Best of luck Pandora - if your son encounters Tara and/or Andrea, they will most likely say something, and I don't know that your relationship with Adrian would be able to recover from that, unless you witness it and pop in to apologize and tell him you yourself *just* found out from Hetep. : (

Do Tara and Andrea know anything about how such things work on our half of the world?  If even the Immortals have (deliberately) forgotten, how likely is it that it would stay forgotten if other species spill the beans so easily?  Then again, we don't even know how often there's communication between the two halves of the world.....is this a weekly occurrence, or once a year, or once a decade?

I really like the role-reversal with Sarah and Pandora.  If there's a huge magic battle with Moperville at ground-zero this might be where it is won.  Sarah helping Pandora reconnect with people and the world. 

Working at Tedd's lab has matured Sarah a whole lot.

13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I guess you didn't get the Cartoon Network back in the 1990s. The first two series were done (horribly) by DIC, (Negaverse and  the Tenth Planet) but someone else did three and four (Witches 5 and the Dead Moon Circus) for the Cartoon Network. The fifth series Sailor Moon series hasn't been dubbed as far as I know. Why not?

1) I was talking about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

2) I still don't have Cartoon Network. It's only available in US.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Based on Jerry saying he'd be out of commission for a few weeks, it makes me wonder if Immortals spend that time essentially like a fetus in a mother's womb, except they are born fully developed looking like 16-20 year olds rather than babies and having at least all the essential skills and knowledge that a teenager would have.

Like a fetus, except completely differently? :)

Actually I would expect those few weeks are for the basic mental development of new personality, but growth of body may not be involved in it at all.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think she was matching her look to her mood deliberately instead of her look affecting her personality.

But question is: can every immortal do that or does the immortal need to be old to look young?

9 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Best of luck Pandora - if your son encounters Tara and/or Andrea, they will most likely say something, and I don't know that your relationship with Adrian would be able to recover from that, unless you witness it and pop in to apologize and tell him you yourself *just* found out from Hetep.

Well she HAS best of luck, as apparently they didn't meet before, are now on their half of universe and not return for three more weeks, and they may not be so talkative without Ashley around anyway.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Do Tara and Andrea know anything about how such things work on our half of the world?  If even the Immortals have (deliberately) forgotten, how likely is it that it would stay forgotten if other species spill the beans so easily?  Then again, we don't even know how often there's communication between the two halves of the world.....is this a weekly occurrence, or once a year, or once a decade?

Tara? No. Andrea? Yes. She seem to have books about Immortals from EGS side of universe, which were possibly written BEFORE Immortals decided to forget.

And if the communication would be more commonplace, they would know about DGB (and DGB would know about them). Your "decade" might be too optimistic - it's possible this was first contact after several CENTURIES, although the contact might've been more common before that (or around year 1).

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I really like the role-reversal with Sarah and Pandora.  If there's a huge magic battle with Moperville at ground-zero this might be where it is won.  Sarah helping Pandora reconnect with people and the world. 

It may also be where the battle will be lost - at least for Pandora.

I mean, I hope Sarah won't overdo it and don't make Pandora so good she will abandon the idea of shredding Voltaire.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Like a fetus, except completely differently? :)

Actually I would expect those few weeks are for the basic mental development of new personality, but growth of body may not be involved in it at all.

Whether or not there's any physical development during this time, the analogy still stands, it's a period of time where the freshly reset Immortal gets their basic nature, plus anything their previous self deemed important to carry over, all sorted out. As well as having the upside of not needing someone to change their diapers for several years.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think she was matching her look to her mood deliberately instead of her look affecting her personality.

But question is: can every immortal do that or does the immortal need to be old to look young?

I might have had that reversed, I didn't mean that her personality shifted to fit the form, but the form shifted to fit how she was feeling at that particular moment.

Granted, her still being a child with Sarah could easily be because she's feeling small and vulnerable, but at the same time the context of what she's talking about makes me feel like she's acting more mature, like she's realized she needs to take responsibility for the things she's done, that seems more fitting for a teenager or young adult that had just realized how much their rebellious behaviour has hurt people. Could be just me thinking that though.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I might have had that reversed, I didn't mean that her personality shifted to fit the form, but the form shifted to fit how she was feeling at that particular moment.

I'm glad you agree with first half, but would like to note the second: "deliberately". She's using it as way to emphasize what she's saying, similarly to how people use gesticulations. On the other hand, some people use gesticulation almost without meaning to, so ...

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Granted, her still being a child with Sarah could easily be because she's feeling small and vulnerable, but at the same time the context of what she's talking about makes me feel like she's acting more mature, like she's realized she needs to take responsibility for the things she's done, that seems more fitting for a teenager or young adult that had just realized how much their rebellious behaviour has hurt people.

Teenager showing emotional vulnerability doesn't seem typical.

It wouldn't surprise me if she would grow a little to show determination to "do it" as a reaction to Sarah's "you can do it", though.

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... are we better than twitter and tumblr? Dan must be aware that we already speculated this out ...

Or, to put it in other way: All fans are now waiting for the big reveal: what exactly is Adrian Raven and Susan relationship? How many generations divides them and is it through Mr. Pompom or Mrs. Pompoms?

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, some people use gesticulation almost without meaning to, so ...

That's basically what I was getting at.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I mean, I hope Sarah won't overdo it and don't make Pandora so good she will abandon the idea of shredding Voltaire.

I don't see that happening since Voltaire's messing with Tedd.  She might be more merciful, but I can't see her not thinking family is important, even extended family (possible descendants of Raven) or ceremonial family (Tedd as Raven's godson)