• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday June 19, 2017

It's always good having option because by definition, you can always choose to NOT use that option. On the other hand, that "testing with lose clothes" is totally something she could be disappointed with. I mean, sure, they already are short of money for clothes, so it really makes no sense to destroy some, but she can totally be disappointed about it because it would totally look great and I'm sure both Ellen and Nanase would enjoy it (Nanase already fantasized about it).

BTW, while I would totally prefer if Dan would be more willing to show wardrobe malfunction (where it makes sense in story), Ellen is Elliot's copy. She probably was uncomfortable with the spell not affecting clothes, which, given what we know about the mechanism for getting new spells, might be reason enough to get this option.

1 hour ago, Stature said:

Good Idea: Ellen being tickled.

We still didn't get Sarah and Grace tickling her. Does it mean the form became canon?

1 hour ago, Stature said:

Bad Idea: Ellen lacking dexterity (as variations to the featured gesture).

What?

26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

What?

Say, the "live long and prosper" sign, but it is 3 fingers against 1, with either the pinky/pointer being by its lone some.

Anyway, that whole "trick" is pishposh.

14 minutes ago, Stature said:

Say, the "live long and prosper" sign, but it is 3 fingers against 1, with either the pinky/pointer being by its lone some.

No, it's two fingers and two fingers. When Leonard Nimoy was asked to come up with a Vulcan salute for Journey to Babel, he used the gesture cohens use to bless the congregation at services. It's the shape of the Hebrew letter Shin, the first letter of the name of Shaddai, the name God used when he had that first chat with Abraham.

Glad to see the emojis running well.

Bah. All in all, I was stressing about a modified Vulcan salute, other than its current use for the spell, for the advanced variations, but I digress.

Still surprising of Ellen to look away after all these. And the sheer amount of spells she has now canonically.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

No, it's two fingers and two fingers. When Leonard Nimoy was asked to come up with a Vulcan salute for Journey to Babel, he used the gesture cohens use to bless the congregation at services. It's the shape of the Hebrew letter Shin, the first letter of the name of Shaddai, the name God used when he had that first chat with Abraham.

Stature was saying what if Ellen couldn't separate her fingers into the Vulcan salute? I mean, Shatner was known to have difficulty doing so. I'd guess that different gestures might have different results, or just not work, and so RIP clothes.

So Ellen's spell effects depend not only upon which hand she uses, but on the positon of her fingers on said hand.

This could be interesting...

-

But now my mind betrays me.

I was attempting to imagine Ellen in a situation where she needed a specific spell effect, but her arm was immobilized and her fingers were splinted.  But then I thought, what horrible series of events would leave Ellen that injured in the first place?

And the scenario that keeps coming back to me is Nanase and Ellen juggling bowling balls.

But those two wouldn't do that.  Would they?

That stunt would get them banned for life from any bowling alley where they tried it.

@ProfessorTomoe @Stature I am doing this for a reason.  I have some code in place in my Markdown parser for handling Emoji, and I've recently managed it to produce output that the forum wouldn't reject.  Basically, I just need to isolate this (IE make a version separate from the Markdown parser) and translate it to Javascript, add some glue code for the forum and I should have a working solution.  How long before this I don't know, but that's what I'm experimenting with.

6 hours ago, HarJIT said:

:vulcan:

Wow, I had only just learned about there being a Unicode for the Vulcan Salute, after a minor WikiWalk, and had it in my copy-paste ready to post here.  Then I go to check today's comics, and discussions thereof....and discover that the boards won't post the unicode symbol.

From Wikipedia: "in June 2014 it was added to version 7 of the Unicode standard as U+1F596  RAISED HAND WITH PART BETWEEN MIDDLE AND RING FINGERS."

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Wow, I had only just learned about there being a Unicode for the Vulcan Salute, after a minor WikiWalk, and had it in my copy-paste ready to post here.  Then I go to check today's comics, and discussions thereof....and discover that the boards won't post the unicode symbol.

From Wikipedia: "in June 2014 it was added to version 7 of the Unicode standard as U+1F596  RAISED HAND WITH PART BETWEEN MIDDLE AND RING FINGERS."

Yeaaah, hence I'm using an image embed with the ASCII shortcode as alt-text.

Not sure why emoji symbols are blocked, is the board limited to UCS-2 or something?

Testing a Basic Multilingual Plane emoji (rare breed as they are): ☺

Edit: yup, seems we're limited to UCS-2 and the BMP.

1 hour ago, HarJIT said:

Yeaaah, hence I'm using an image embed with the ASCII shortcode as alt-text.

Which I didn't know when I posted, since that's split up among several threads and this was the first section I came to.

13 hours ago, Stature said:

And the sheer amount of spells she has now canonically.

The amount of spells is huge, but versatility is low.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I just wish I knew where to post that would get the board itself fixed.

It's probably not supported in the software itself, so we need to wait for version with such support to appear and then beg for upgrade.

Maybe Dan's underlying purpose for this sort of semi-canon strip is to introduce a duplication beam. That is, a beam which will make a duplicate of the target. After all, Ellen herself is a product of duplication magic. Why do I think this? Where is Magus going to get his new body? Otherwise he would have to possess someone, making him like Sirleck.

I'm tempted to call it a Xerox™ beam, but the term is trademarked, so I won't.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

.... dewitchery diamond obviously.

You have a point. Pandora told Magus that the diamond was part of the ritual for his revival. I guess that the revival does involve Magus possessing someone and then using the dewitchery diamond to hive off a duplicate with the "curse" of his superimposed mind.

But where the heck is that diamond now? And why is Ellen's zapping involved?

Which leads me back to the possibility that Dan is using the ED newspaper arc to introduce the spell that Ellen needs to use to set up the revival, which isn't just-plain FV5.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

But where the heck is that diamond now?

Magus may already know that.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which leads me back to the possibility that Dan is using the ED newspaper arc to introduce the spell that Ellen needs to use to set up the revival, which isn't just-plain FV5.

Alternatively, it doesn't matter WHICH of her spells she will use and Dan will introduce the spell Ellen will later use to have something more interesting (or less confusing) than another girl Elliot.

Maybe Magus will end up being half-sized?

I've said for a while now, I think once the shooting is over, if Magus gets a chance to explain his situation to the main characters, they'll be only too happy to help.  Given how everyone was afraid Mr. Verres would want to lock up Ellen, and he wound up helping them integrate her into the family as a twin sister instead, I suspect if Edward learns Magus's problem and the potential solution, he'll be willing to allow access to the Dewitchery Diamond, so long as he's convinced there's nothing nefarious at play any more.

The only real way I can see for Magus to explain himself is either using Box as a translator, which would be a bit clunky, or if he has gotten into Elliot's body and has at least enough control to speak with them using Elliot's voice.  I can definitely see Elliot allowing Magus to speak, and taking back control to ask questions and such.  This is mostly a happy, cooperative, good bunch of people, I expect them to continue to be so.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

The only real way I can see for Magus to explain himself is either using Box as a translator, which would be a bit clunky, or if he has gotten into Elliot's body and has at least enough control to speak with them using Elliot's voice.  I can definitely see Elliot allowing Magus to speak, and taking back control to ask questions and such.  This is mostly a happy, cooperative, good bunch of people, I expect them to continue to be so.

Box probably is the best chance of getting Ellen to willingly zap Elliot, Box knows what Magus needs to happen to get back into the physical realm, Sarah is in a position to believe her as well because Box really doesn't look like she wants to mess up what they have going right now. It does depend how Friday pans out though, if Adrian survives but Magus fails again, I had theorized about it before that Pandora might decided to make up for her jerking Magus around the way she did before by just helping him like he had asked.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I've said for a while now, I think once the shooting is over, if Magus gets a chance to explain his situation to the main characters, they'll be only too happy to help.  Given how everyone was afraid Mr. Verres would want to lock up Ellen, and he wound up helping them integrate her into the family as a twin sister instead, I suspect if Edward learns Magus's problem and the potential solution, he'll be willing to allow access to the Dewitchery Diamond, so long as he's convinced there's nothing nefarious at play any more.

Note that Mr. Verres may not officially be able to allow access to the Diamond due to change in his position. He would probably be able to find where it is, though.

But yes, Magus's biggest problem is that due to not asking right away, everything he did and will do could be interpreted as nefarious. And with vampires attacking, people may be less willing to listen. Especially if they realize it's Magus's fault, although I can see Edward making Magus own body just so he can lock him up.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Box probably is the best chance of getting Ellen to willingly zap Elliot, Box knows what Magus needs to happen to get back into the physical realm, Sarah is in a position to believe her as well because Box really doesn't look like she wants to mess up what they have going right now. It does depend how Friday pans out though, if Adrian survives but Magus fails again, I had theorized about it before that Pandora might decided to make up for her jerking Magus around the way she did before by just helping him like he had asked.

That, or do it just to stop Magus from coming up with another, even more dangerous plan.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I had theorized about it before that Pandora might decided to make up for her jerking Magus around the way she did before by just helping him like he had asked.

An intriguing insight. However, Magus has an additional agenda: Ending Pandora.