• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Wednesday June 21, 2017

Of course brushing teeth is dangerous: after all, you usually do it when already sleepy, so with worse reactions ...

However, I usually consider stains on pyjama shirt acceptable ; after just splashing it of with water, it's not that much apparent, it's not like I'm wearing pyjama in public, and it's not happening THAT much often ...

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sarah figured out Box is Adrian's mother!

23 minutes ago, Stature said:

Nice guess, how does she do it?

Seconding that: it's nice and she's right, but I suspect she's jumping to conclusion, as she can't have enough informations. Although she can easily ask - like, "How common are half-immortals?" ... wait. If she ask Verres, he would be curious why and can do some conclusion jumping on his own.

If Sarah knows that Adrian is half immortal, then from Sarah's limited sources, he would be the prime candidate to be the son of Box.

The only other candidates from people of whom Sarah is aware are Jerry and the Immortals at the mall.

Anyone else would be too distant to be of any concern to Sarah and she would dismiss that possibility as boring.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1811

This is how Sarah knows that Grace's history teacher Mr. Raven is a half-immortal. Which is the same link that Dan put in his commentary. See? They're worth reading at least once.

Okay, I didn't click it before I looked it up. I should read the commentaries more often.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Confessed to my own laziness.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

from Sarah's limited sources, he would be the prime candidate to be the son of Box.

The only other candidates from people of whom Sarah is aware are Jerry and the Immortals at the mall.

Anyone else would be too distant to be of any concern to Sarah and she would dismiss that possibility as boring.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1811

Dismissing most likely possibility as boring IS conclusion jumping. Regardless the fact it sort of was true (we don't know if they hear about him, but he definitely lives near).

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Dismissing most likely possibility as boring IS conclusion jumping. Regardless the fact it sort of was true (we don't know if they hear about him, but he definitely lives near).

Still I like to think that this gives hope that even if Raven doesn't learn the truth from Pandora herself do to a potential reset, there is hope for him to learn it indirectly through Sarah.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Seconding that: it's nice and she's right, but I suspect she's jumping to conclusion, as she can't have enough informations. Although she can easily ask - like, "How common are half-immortals?" ... wait. If she ask Verres, he would be curious why and can do some conclusion jumping on his own.

Well, Sarah did actual say "Is she Raven's mother?" rather than "She is Raven's mother!" so yeah she's guessing based on what she knows, she only knows about Adrian being an elf, there may be other elves in the world, but Adrian's in Moperville, Box is in Moperville, and Box is responsible for the ambient energy and magic marks in Moperville. That would be enough to make anyone wonder if they're related. Edward knows Adrian as well and he might have been introduced to Pandora as Adrian's mother, but he might not realize that the child that appeared in the woods and on TV is her. I would suspect that if Edward did know that it was Adrian's mother causing problems in Moperville, he'd be on Adrian's case to get her to stop.

This just occurred to me, If Grace has told Sarah about her experience with Adrian and the boar, being under an illusion that made her look a lot like Susan, and being told that Elves can't have children. Sarah is in a position to guess what Box was talking about, the lie she passed on, the "of course they were his!" line. Though Sarah might jump to the conclusion that Adrian is Susan's dad which might not be too far from the truth (more likely grandfather or maybe great grandfather) but Sarah doesn't know enough in this case to be as accurate.

12 hours ago, animalia said:

Still I like to think that this gives hope that even if Raven doesn't learn the truth from Pandora herself do to a potential reset, there is hope for him to learn it indirectly through Sarah.

She can only repeat what Pandora said. It would be hard for Raven to guess correctly what it was about unless he already has some suspicion.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well, Sarah did actual say "Is she Raven's mother?" rather than "She is Raven's mother!" so yeah she's guessing based on what she knows, she only knows about Adrian being an elf, there may be other elves in the world, but Adrian's in Moperville, Box is in Moperville, and Box is responsible for the ambient energy and magic marks in Moperville. That would be enough to make anyone wonder if they're related.

True.

Edward knows Adrian as well and he might have been introduced to Pandora as Adrian's mother, but he might not realize that the child that appeared in the woods and on TV is her. I would suspect that if Edward did know that it was Adrian's mother causing problems in Moperville, he'd be on Adrian's case to get her to stop.

Not necessary. "Adrian, your mother is making problems, tell her something" - "I will, IF she appears. I didn't see her for 12 years" ... only problem with this is that Edward seem to not speak with Adrian for long time.

On the other hand, what other immortals could he know? His friends? Helena and Demetrius?

This just occurred to me, If Grace has told Sarah about her experience with Adrian and the boar, being under an illusion that made her look a lot like Susan, and being told that Elves can't have children. Sarah is in a position to guess what Box was talking about, the lie she passed on, the "of course they were his!" line.

She WAS supposed to keep it secret, so maybe she didn't talked that much about it? Even if she did, I still think that would be very long jump.

50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not necessary. "Adrian, your mother is making problems, tell her something" - "I will, IF she appears. I didn't see her for 12 years" ... only problem with this is that Edward seem to not speak with Adrian for long time.

Yeah, Edward had an opportunity to ask Adrian if he knows what his mother is up to when Adrian called him asking for help with the boar. It's probably the best evidence that Edward either doesn't connect the creepy girl in the woods and on TV with Pandora, or Adrian's never introduced him to her.

On the other hand, what other immortals could he know? His friends? Helena and Demetrius?

It's possible they had found out about Pandora. But were unfortunately forced to reset before they could report back to Edward.

She WAS supposed to keep it secret, so maybe she didn't talked that much about it? Even if she did, I still think that would be very long jump.

She was, until Adrian found out she was dating Tedd and insisted she tell him. It's possible that after the fact, it didn't matter anymore, Adrian knew that his true identity was known by more than one student, Grace never said who exactly, but I imagine Adrian could guess later on that Ellen and Nanase would likely know.

45 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, Edward had an opportunity to ask Adrian if he knows what his mother is up to when Adrian called him asking for help with the boar. It's probably the best evidence that Edward either doesn't connect the creepy girl in the woods and on TV with Pandora, or Adrian's never introduced him to her.

Even if he didn't connected it, he SHOULD ask for help unless he had some other immortal friends except Helena and Demetrius, who at that point he should already know are out of commission. But maybe he just don't like Adrian so much.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's possible they had found out about Pandora. But were unfortunately forced to reset before they could report back to Edward.

It's weird that Edward would rely on such jerks. On the other hand, he might not have much choice.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

She was, until Adrian found out she was dating Tedd and insisted she tell him. It's possible that after the fact, it didn't matter anymore, Adrian knew that his true identity was known by more than one student, Grace never said who exactly, but I imagine Adrian could guess later on that Ellen and Nanase would likely know.

Adrian told her to tell TEDD, noone else. It's hard to say if she still considered it secret ... even if Adrian wouldn't mind anymore, I think Grace would at least ask if she can tell her other friends ...

Of course, while Sarah may not known YET, Grace is likely to tell something when Sarah tells her about this. And it makes SENSE for her to tell her, considering Grace is the one who knows Adrian best ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

It's weird that Edward would rely on such jerks. On the other hand, he might not have much choice.

I'm stll not convinced they're jerks.

Wait a moment...The claimed that they were in France because they were following someone, they couldn't remember if it was Susan or Nanase, but what if they had found out the truth about Susan's heritage. Maybe their untimely resets were to prevent that knowledge from getting to others? It could also be the reason they chose to mark her and awaken Nanase, because they felt that they would need to be able to defend themselves later.

The fact that they seem to be easily distracted by vampires might be more to do with what they had learned before they were forced to reset, they might not remember exactly why, but they feel that there shouldn't be as many vampires in Moperville as there have been, and they probably can't expect Arthur to have the paranormal division do much about it, Edward probably can't guarantee any action would be taken either, he said he would tell them, but unless he was referring to a separate group that specializes in vampire/monster hunting that's not in the FBI, I'm not sure I could trust Arthur to do anything

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Adrian told her to tell TEDD, noone else. It's hard to say if she still considered it secret ... even if Adrian wouldn't mind anymore, I think Grace would at least ask if she can tell her other friends ...

Adrian also assumed Grace would tell Ellen, of course Grace did tell Ellen, but Adrian expected it despite telling Grace to not tell anyone.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:
51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm stll not convinced they're jerks.

I'm actually neither, but I think Edward would agree with Jerry on this. (My working hypothesis is that they just didn't noticed 16 years old are no longer considered adults.)

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Wait a moment...The claimed that they were in France because they were following someone, they couldn't remember if it was Susan or Nanase, but what if they had found out the truth about Susan's heritage. Maybe their untimely resets were to prevent that knowledge from getting to others?

It's not that this knowledge would be so dangerous. OR that getting information from immortals would be so easy.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It could also be the reason they chose to mark her and awaken Nanase, because they felt that they would need to be able to defend themselves later.

Her having summoning affinity is totally sufficient reason to mark her. No need for more.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The fact that they seem to be easily distracted by vampires might be more to do with what they had learned before they were forced to reset, they might not remember exactly why, but they feel that there shouldn't be as many vampires in Moperville as there have been

Seems more likely recruiting people (in wide sense) to fight vampires is their usual modus operandi.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

and they probably can't expect Arthur to have the paranormal division do much about it

I don't think they already rediscovered (or remembered) enough to understand DGB chain of command.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Edward probably can't guarantee any action would be taken either, he said he would tell them, but unless he was referring to a separate group that specializes in vampire/monster hunting that's not in the FBI, I'm not sure I could trust Arthur to do anything

IMHO only reason Arthur won't do anything is that he is waiting for reset. But unlike his previous behaviour, where he can justify his inaction by need of secrecy, I'm sure if his superiors knew about multiple vampires in Moperville and him not doing anything with it he would be fired. And possibly fired ON as well.

(Also, it's not like he's knowing what Sirleck plans ... maybe he WILL do something if he realizes what will happen.)

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Adrian also assumed Grace would tell Ellen, of course Grace did tell Ellen, but Adrian expected it despite telling Grace to not tell anyone.

He ASKED. Doesn't mean he assumed. Maybe if she didn't, he was going to suggest some convenient half-truth to tell. Or maybe he would say the same as with Tedd.

Also, did you notice Grace did NOT answered the question? I mean, we know she told Ellen, but ADRIAN might still not.

Arthur's behavior has been strange, and strange by Edward's standards. Has anyone considered that he might not really be Arthur any more? There's more than one body snatcher besides Sirleck out there, and there's always the ever-popular options of possession and evil doppelgangers.

As for motivation, it occurs to me that a magical reset for humans would give non-human monsters that prey on humans an edge.

32 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Arthur's behavior has been strange, and strange by Edward's standards. Has anyone considered that he might not really be Arthur any more? There's more than one body snatcher besides Sirleck out there, and there's always the ever-popular options of possession and evil doppelgangers.

Edward himself said "whatever his goals might be, covering up the truth about this incident isn't among them" - he didn't said he's acting strange, he suspected him of some hidden motivation. Of course, being possessed IS one possible source of hidden motivation, but not ONLY one.

36 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

As for motivation, it occurs to me that a magical reset for humans would give non-human monsters that prey on humans an edge.

That sounds nice except there is high probability the magical reset will affect former humans (therefore, aberrations) as well. And, unlike humans, it may KILL them.

(For "why", think about what is Will of magic motivation behind magic reset. It makes no sense to take magic from humans and leave it to monsters - outcome will be clear, where would be the drama? And it WILL mean magic going public, although not the WAY to get magic, unless you count becoming aberrations a way to get magic and that, again, doesn't seem like the point magic which made transformations ridiculously safe would like to be making.)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Edward himself said "whatever his goals might be, covering up the truth about this incident isn't among them" - he didn't said he's acting strange, he suspected him of some hidden motivation. Of course, being possessed IS one possible source of hidden motivation, but not ONLY one.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That sounds nice except there is high probability the magical reset will affect former humans (therefore, aberrations) as well. And, unlike humans, it may KILL them.

Maybe so, maybe not. What exactly is the jurisdiction of this Will of Magic? It kind of seems like the Will of Magic for humans, not for Uryuoms, and I suspect not for griffins. Griffins have to be magic-dependent creatures; they simply do not have big enough wings to fly without magical help. Dragons, too, or at least the ones we've seen so far.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Griffins have to be magic-dependent creatures; they simply do not have big enough wings to fly without magical help. Dragons, too, or at least the ones we've seen so far.

Not this again.  Care to throw the flight of bumblebees into the "must be magic" category as well?

We just don't know enough about Griffin aerodynamics to fully appreciate how the system works.  As soon as we get our hands on another griffin, we need to engage in some old fashioned vivisection.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not this again.  Care to throw the flight of bumblebees into the "must be magic" category as well?

We just don't know enough about Griffin aerodynamics to fully appreciate how the system works.  As soon as we get our hands on another griffin, we need to engage in some old fashioned vivisection.

We could try Nick Griffin if we can get hold of him. It sounds like he won't be missed.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That old saw about it being impossible for bumblebees to fly came about when aerodynamics hadn't investigated the lifting qualities of moving wings sufficiently. Now we have theory that explains how bumblebees can fly without violating physical laws.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well, not quite in canon for griffins, but we do have this about bulldog dragons.

13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe so, maybe not. What exactly is the jurisdiction of this Will of Magic? It kind of seems like the Will of Magic for humans, not for Uryuoms, and I suspect not for griffins.

I don't think there are separate Wills of Magic for squirrels, hedgehogs, owls, cat, snakes ... Uryuoms are from different planet. Griffins are from different half of universe. Meanwhile, aberrations used to be humans. I think that all earth-native species will be affected affected. (Note: biggest question is if this includes fairies ...)

13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Griffins have to be magic-dependent creatures; they simply do not have big enough wings to fly without magical help.

I wouldn't be completely sure about that ... their wings are fairly large, if they would be really light, they MIGHT fly on physics alone ... although, yes, unlikely.

(Eagles can have 2m wingspan and weight over 6kg ; domestic cats can weight around 5kg if not fat ; tigers weight over 150kg ...)

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That would be not only unneeded, but counter-effective. We can learn everything needed from measuring live griffin, we can get bone structure from X-rays for example. And with live griffin, we can make some motion capture as well.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think there are separate Wills of Magic for squirrels, hedgehogs, owls, cat, snakes ... Uryuoms are from different planet. Griffins are from different half of universe. Meanwhile, aberrations used to be humans. I think that all earth-native species will be affected affected. (Note: biggest question is if this includes fairies ...)

Maybe the WoM only worries about Humans, other creatures can have their magic, they have no problems with keeping it secret, but Humans are the ones who don't know how to keep it to themselves.

In all seriousness though what Disco Wizard describes about "species with magic interwoven into their very nature" might apply to more than just Uryuoms, Griffins could also be such species. But the other thing about Disco Wizard's speech is he specifically talks about magic changing for only Humans. So I wouldn't be surprised if the WoM can just single out Humans as the only thing affect by a change.

I don't think Magic as a whole will change, the only thing that will change is how Humans can interact with it.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

In all seriousness though what Disco Wizard describes about "species with magic interwoven into their very nature" might apply to more than just Uryuoms, Griffins could also be such species.

Looking at Andrea, I would guess she is not in risk of not being able to fly, BUT she can lose her spells. IF she wouldn't be using rules of the second half of universe anyway.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

But the other thing about Disco Wizard's speech is he specifically talks about magic changing for only Humans. So I wouldn't be surprised if the WoM can just single out Humans as the only thing affect by a change.

It's question if there ARE any other earth species capable of using magic. Or, if they are, if Disco Wizard knows about them.

I repeat that it's very likely aberrations still counts as humans for purpose of magic reset. Similarly how Nanase still counts as human even when fairy and/or angel. If they could be targeted separately, then vampire attack at moperville might cause THEIR magic to reset instead of humans one.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I don't think Magic as a whole will change, the only thing that will change is how Humans can interact with it.

Would be consistent both with how Disco Wizard talks about it and with the fact that second half of universe is using same magic but different rules.

(BTW ... what if there are no humans in second half of universe? Not in the "never existing" sense, but maybe those two halves used to be closer, then humans concentrated on one half and other magic-using species like griffins and dragons on other half ...)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That {vivisection of a griffin} would be not only unneeded, but counter-effective. We can learn everything needed from measuring live griffin, we can get bone structure from X-rays for example. And with live griffin, we can make some motion capture as well.

And the other griffins will like you better. Which has some potential to be good for your health.