• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you MAD

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So what is the proper term to describe someone who would, if tested. appear to have an intellectual capacity within the "normal" range but who produces substandard results because of improper training, improper supervision, or apathy?

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

A moderator. :danshiftyeyes:

A unix sysadmin who has been working in the field for over 10 years.  It's that apathy part that kicks in.  That and the supervision.  Most are, in fact, fairly well trained, they just don't care any more.

I just wish to express sympathies on those folk in New York with that bomb that went off a few days ago. Although it's still unclear whether it was terrorists or not, stay strong dear friends; they wish to instill fear in those whom terrify them most, so do not give them any chance to do so.

Who ever is behind the VoIP number 918-291-1166.   All the other web site scum suckers that want to help you set up your new domain have stopped calling.  These [redacted]eating[redacted][redacted]ers call about 3 times a day.  And my cheap flip phone doesn't have a "reject this call every time" option, and letting it just ring isn't something I can do.

13 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Who ever is behind the VoIP number 918-291-1166.   All the other web site scum suckers that want to help you set up your new domain have stopped calling.  These [redacted]eating[redacted][redacted]ers call about 3 times a day.  And my cheap flip phone doesn't have a "reject this call every time" option, and letting it just ring isn't something I can do.

You know, those old manually-activated acoustic modems did have a valuable auxiliary use... (But I only ever applied it to robocallers, not to humans.)

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
2 hours ago, mlooney said:

You know, those old manually-activated acoustic modems did have a valuable auxiliary use... (But I only ever applied it to robocallers, not to humans.)

A few....hmm probably 15 or so, years ago, some one in where we think was New York, kept trying to send faxes to our phone number. the phone would ring, we'd answer and all we got was the loud screeching that sounded like a 56k modem having a seizure.

This went on every half hour during business hours for 3 days.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

A few....hmm probably 15 or so, years ago, some one in where we think was New York, kept trying to send faxes to our phone number. the phone would ring, we'd answer and all we got was the loud screeching that sounded like a 56k modem having a seizure.

This went on every half hour during business hours for 3 days.

Oh lord, this happened to a friend whose lab had only one line back in 19(mumble).  Shortly thereafter, we had a salesguy in to demo a new, all-singing, all-dancing fax machine that had all kinds of interesting and useful-looking features. The one he was most proud of was the machine's ability to keep on trying until the fax went through or the Sun died. 

I insisted we turn that one off.

Due to the laundry in my block of my hall of residence being out of order, unusually, I had to use the other one. After I found / was directed to it and finally got to use a machine, I paid and selected cycle, it read 35mins, nothing seemed to happen at first, strangely, I came back 40mins later, still nothing had happened and it still read 35mins. MY CLOTHES ARE LOCKED IN A NON-FUNCTIONAL WASHING MACHINE IN THE LAUNDRY WHICH IS NOT THE ONE IN MY BLOCK. Oddly, someone had seemingly used it before me fine.

I called the warden, it eventually turned out that my best hope is to try and contact the accomodation centre tomorrow.

1 hour ago, HarJIT said:

Due to the laundry in my block of my hall of residence being out of order, unusually, I had to use the other one. After I found / was directed to it and finally got to use a machine, I paid and selected cycle, it read 35mins, nothing seemed to happen at first, strangely, I came back 40mins later, still nothing had happened and it still read 35mins. MY CLOTHES ARE LOCKED IN A NON-FUNCTIONAL WASHING MACHINE IN THE LAUNDRY WHICH IS NOT THE ONE IN MY BLOCK. Oddly, someone had seemingly used it before me fine.

I called the warden, it eventually turned out that my best hope is to try and contact the accomodation centre tomorrow.

The machine eventually unlocked itself, laundry was drenched in the case of the items at the bottom but otherwise unwashed and bone dry.  Have transferred to another machine which appears to be working.

9 hours ago, PSadlon said:

and often organic material.

Well, yeah, that's a given

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, it often contains dung...how do they prevent it from melting in the rain?

s/contains/is mainly/

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Adobe is a good option for construction.

In places that receive less than an inch of rain each year.

Which Tulsa is not.
All of which reminds me, I need to do an Adobe Update, which I will do as I'm leaving the house for several hours.

Will that be long enough. I mean it's not a Windows update but still it's not as efficient as say installing the MacOS on a blank drive.

4 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Will that be long enough. I mean it's not a Windows update but still it's not as efficient as say installing the MacOS on a blank drive.

Seems to have worked.

It though I had canceled a Dropbox Business account several months ago. but for reasons I don't quite understand, they decided to recreate the account and charge me $75.  This is less than optimal.  I've done the web site cancel than and sent an email, so let's hope that will be it.

I do a lot of either work on Edge of Imperial Space and/or internet surfing between 2:30 and 6ish in the morning.  For reason I don't quite understand, Cox "you don't need internet access all the time" Cable did a remote reboot of my modem at 2:45 this morning.  With 6 cloud clients running, plus Firefox, this is a major problem.  Dried Mud Creative Content and Dropbox both took that fairly baddy, enough so that I had to force quite their clients. Given the actual size of the cloud storage that Dried Mud gives me, I think I'm going to just leave it not running.  All I'll be missing is automatic updates of the various Dried Mud programs and I can live with that.

I overheard someone telling another someone that they had a scene with a dog in a wave pool, where the trained dog didn't want to do it and was forced into the rough water anyway, the person who's supposed to watch out for and stop animal cruelty standing around watching and not saying anything (and now in trouble for it).  Whether true or not, such stories are likely the cause of the bad ratings.

Pain.  Nothing major at any given point, but a non-migraine headache, overall body ache caused by weather, butt hurt, a whacked knee and a stubbed toe (both from the same thing).  Going to stagger out to the mailbox and see if my Ketoprofen has arrived.

[Edit]
Nope.  Should be in today's mail, however.

Well, crap.  I just busted my RCA tablet and I'm not sure when I can replace it.  I Might be able to Monday afternoon, depending on how my shrink day goes.

Will this ever end?

I just tried to order a flower arrangement for my grandmother's funeral. My credit card got declined. Wound up having to use a different credit card.

Called the credit card company and found out someone else (possibly plural) got their grubby mitts on my credit card number and started having a good ole' time with it as of August 30th. The credit card company didn't put a flag on it until today. So, I've got fraudulent charges on my card. The one that finally tagged it was a Six Flags charge attempt for $400+ bucks.

I'm not going to get a replacement card until Wednesday, thanks to the holiday.

I do not appreciate being taken advantage of. This chaps my ass.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Will this ever end?

I just tried to order a flower arrangement for my grandmother's funeral. My credit card got declined. Wound up having to use a different credit card.

Called the credit card company and found out someone else (possibly plural) got their grubby mitts on my credit card number and started having a good ole' time with it as of August 30th. The credit card company didn't put a flag on it until today. So, I've got fraudulent charges on my card. The one that finally tagged it was a Six Flags charge attempt for $400+ bucks.

I'm not going to get a replacement card until Wednesday, thanks to the holiday.

I do not appreciate being taken advantage of. This chaps my ass.

Gah. I despise that sort of thing. Idiots.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Gah. I despise that sort of thing. Idiots.

And I find out about it while trying to order flowers for MY GRANDMOTHER'S FUNERAL, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

I am losing my cool in the worst way possible. I posted this on Facebook. God, I know there are worse things happening just 300 miles southeast of me, but can you please back off for all of us for a while?