• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you MAD

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I may try later with a different e-mail address. We'll see.

I wonder if Google, Facebook, etc. have any idea how many accounts are unique persons, and how many are pseudonyms?

TotalBiscuit just passed away. Cancer. He was only in his thirties.

I didn't agree with him politically. Especially not with his attitude towards GamerGate. But he had a wife and kids and bollocking NO-ONE deserves that. I hate cancer so much.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Especially not with his attitude towards GamerGate.

I thought it was just a case of people pestering him asking him what side he was on and he refused to participate which was met with a lot of backlash from both sides.

Mosquitoes that get in despite screens (possibly coming in when people go through the door) then buzz around you (occasionally biting you) all night. We somehow wound up with dozens of mosquitoes in the house last night, and I lost several hours of sleep thanks to them... 

(I wasn't quite sure whether to put this in the "annoyed" or "MAD" thread, because this isn't quite a capslock situation... but after having gotten only a few hours of sleep thanks to these mosquitoes I'm a lot more than just annoyed.)

Just remember that the female mosquito only takes blood from mammals when she is ready to lay eggs.

So your night time annoyance has helped ensure subsequent generations of mosquitos to annoy you in the future.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just remember that the female mosquito only takes blood from mammals when she is ready to lay eggs.

So your night time annoyance has helped ensure subsequent generations of mosquitos to annoy you in the future.

Not if I killed them either before they could bite me (I lost count of how many, but there were quite a few) or before they could get away (probably five or so, and that sure left a mess; I'll be lucky if nothing wound up with blood-stains on it). (Granted, I probably did miss a few of them.)

Pardon the tech....

Most UEFI PC BIOSes "helpfully" change their boot order without asking.  the average user shouldn't care that much but in a lab environment it's annoying as hades. 

For my own convenience I want all my machines to boot from optical disk (Cd/DVD/BD rom) first.  It makes disk formats and mass OS installs simpler and quicker.   Old BIOSes?  No problem.  I tell the BIOS to boot from the disk first, that's exactly what it is going to do.  Every time.  Makes sense right? 

That's too simpleminded for a UEFI BIOS.  It knows better.  If it sees a new UEFI-format hard drive if feels compelled to alter its boot order without asking for permission or telling anyone, to make the hard drive boot first, which is what I DO NOT want.  I can reset the boot order of course but UEFI is constantly looking for a reason to pounce and put the hard drive on top again.  There's no way to turn this behaviour off, because of course it's clearly superior behavior.  Why would anyone want anything different?

I suppose there's an edge case or two this helps.  A moderately skilled user installs windows from a disk.  The BIOS then automagically gets the disk out of her or his way if they forget to pull the disk out of the drive after starting the install.  But most windows disks come with with a "hit any key" prompt to re-enter the install environment and otherwise go on to boot the .hard disk anyway, so why again?  Very annoying.  Very much slows the process down.

7 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

That's too simpleminded for a UEFI BIOS.  It knows better.  If it sees a new UEFI-format hard drive if feels compelled to alter its boot order without asking for permission or telling anyone, to make the hard drive boot first, which is what I DO NOT want.  I can reset the boot order of course but UEFI is constantly looking for a reason to pounce and put the hard drive on top again.  There's no way to turn this behaviour off, because of course it's clearly superior behavior.  Why would anyone want anything different?

Not just that. If it sees that a location listed in the boot order doesn't exist, it *removes* that location. Then on a later boot if that location exists again, it decides on its own where to place the location in the boot order - it can't just use the old location, because that information is completely lost.

In an era of ubiquitous removable drives of at least three kinds (CD/DVD, spinning disks and SSDs, and flash drives), does this make ANY sense?

2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Not just that. If it sees that a location listed in the boot order doesn't exist, it *removes* that location. Then on a later boot if that location exists again, it decides on its own where to place the location in the boot order - it can't just use the old location, because that information is completely lost.

In an era of ubiquitous removable drives of at least three kinds (CD/DVD, spinning disks and SSDs, and flash drives), does this make ANY sense?

This is a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.  We could set a hard and fast boot order in older BIOSes and it would simply use that.  Someone had to make a case for updating this behavior and convince other people that it was a good idea.

Another edge case is the occasionally annoying moments where a system attempts to boot from the flash drive instead of the hard drive.  The solution (pull the flash drive out of the USB port) must have seemed too strenuous or counter-intuitive...

Justice Kennedy is retiring, now, before the midterm elections.  Trump will get to appoint another supreme court justice, and his Congressional stoodges will ram it through before the midterms, and we can say goodbye to any security for gay marriage, Roe v Wade, affirmative action, etc.

Why, oh why couldn't he have either held on for a few more months, or retired a few years sooner?

Unfortunately, Justice Kennedy is a man of honor and independent thought.

He would not have resigned his seat at the bench if he thought he was still capable of fulfilling his duties for another full term of the Supreme Court (i.e. until June of next year).

And he knows that if a justice retires or dies in the middle of a term, it can derail the deliberations.

President Eisenhower nominated five Justices to the high court.  His third nominee was a Democrat.  One legend says that when Ike was asked about it, he said there needed to be someone writing dissenting opinions.  One  Republican's nomination was opposed by southern Senators because he supported the decision in Brown v. the Board of Education.

Is it possible that Trump will draw inspiration from the Eisenhower administration on this matter rather than the revisionist history of the Regan administration?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He would not have resigned his seat at the bench if he thought he was still capable of fulfilling his duties for another full term of the Supreme Court (i.e. until June of next year).

And he knows that if a justice retires or dies in the middle of a term, it can derail the deliberations.

They don't start their work until October, and the electon is in early November.  They wouldn't be very far along.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

President Eisenhower nominated five Justices to the high court.  His third nominee was a Democrat.  One legend says that when Ike was asked about it, he said there needed to be someone writing dissenting opinions.  One  Republican's nomination was opposed by southern Senators because he supported the decision in Brown v. the Board of Education.

Is it possible that Trump will draw inspiration from the Eisenhower administration on this matter rather than the revisionist history of the Regan administration?

Do you honestly think Trump knows any of what you just discussed?  Do you think he really cares what previous Presidents have done?

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

They don't start their work until October, and the electon is in early November.  They wouldn't be very far along.

The election is in November, but the new Congress is not seated until January.  A lame duck Senate might approve an even worse nominee.

Proprietary screws!!!!!

We have an oscillating fan, really nice, all metal parts, done up to look like those old style desk fans with a pull chain on/off, we've had it for a few years.

Today is a hot day and even with the A/C going it's still kinda stuffy so mom wanted to get a couple fans going well to get the air moving, she went to turn on this particular fan and it worked for a couple seconds and then stopped. After some looking at, cleaning some of the dust off (it wasn't really dusty but the blades and cage had some built up) I determined that there must be a loose connection where the cord attaches to the motor or wherever inside.

In order to take the cage off and the blade out, I just needed a small Phillips screwdriver, in order to take the baseplate off though, I need these:

41l-Hr3QbgL.jpg

WTF!

I happen to be related to someone suffering from DID. What was once called disassociative or multiple personality disorder. Helping to care for them is a daunting task though not one I am willing to abandon. The alters (or, as they were once known as, personalities) typically manifest as a result of massive trauma, an attempt on a mind's behalf to protect itself. Of these alters, some can be absolutely terrifying, manifestations of rage, self-hatred and paranoia, but when I deal with an alter of this kind I remind myself that it is part of the person I love.

Today I had occasion to, in what I thought was a fairly safe space, observe ignorant neurotypical assholes sit and congratulate themselves on hating an alter of a person they otherwise liked, and blaming said alter for her problems. I am less than thrilled.

Mrs. Prof. has just shut off the water to our dishwasher. It's apparently sprung a leak, causing the wood laminate floor in the kitchen to buckle. We've got insurance, but with a $1,670 deductible, it's probably not going to help much.

Lousy harbinger of things to come on a Sunday.

I used to be just annoyed by my now gone house neighbour, but now I'm actively angry with him. He had an indoor small yappy dog, which he moved in with. About the middle of summer last year he got a pair of indoor/outdoor cats. When he left, he left that cats behind, granted he did take the dog with him. Still major not cool. I would have taken the cats in, but by the time I found out that he left them, the cleaning lady had already called animal control.

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I used to be just annoyed by my now gone house neighbour, but now I'm actively angry with him. He had an indoor small yappy dog, which he moved in with. About the middle of summer last year he got a pair of indoor/outdoor cats. When he left, he left that cats behind, granted he did take the dog with him. Still major not cool. I would have taken the cats in, but by the time I found out that he left them, the cleaning lady had already called animal control.

Slight update on the cats, Animal Control here will not come out to get feral cats. The cleaning lady is going to try to get them and take them to the human society, if possible. Found out how they are getting into the locked house, they are going in the basement and climbing out via the whole in the bathroom closet.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Slight update on the cats, Animal Control here will not come out to get feral cats. The cleaning lady is going to try to get them and take them to the human society, if possible. Found out how they are getting into the locked house, they are going in the basement and climbing out via the whole in the bathroom closet.

I despise people who abandon cats. It shows a level of callousness I cannot abide.

Yeah, a pet is supposed to be your friend, not something to throw away. Just about the only justification mlooney's neighbor could have for abandoning them is if he was in SUCH a rush to get out of town (as evidenced by all the furniture, etc. being left behind) that he couldn't wait for them to come home.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, a pet is supposed to be your friend, not something to throw away. Just about the only justification mlooney's neighbor could have for abandoning them is if he was in SUCH a rush to get out of town (as evidenced by all the furniture, etc. being left behind) that he couldn't wait for them to come home.

Yeah, but he told me in December that he was leaving, so he knew ahead of time he was going to bug out. 

On 2/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, mlooney said:

My ex did that when she ran off with her Internet boyfriend. Me and my daughter inherited three cats she abandoned.

The neighbors across the street have no regard for the cops when it comes to playing loud music. I've called the cops on them for blasting their music from their big-ass pickup trucks' subwoofers in the past. Immediately after the cops left, the idiots threw a tantrum by turning up all four of their trucks' radios and honking their horns for a minute solid. Since then, they've continued to violate city code on subwoofers and automobiles (I've read it), but never long enough to get caught in the act again.

Until today.

They fired up their subwoofers and stood around with beers in hand, having a grand old time with no concern for anyone else in the neighborhood. I called the cops again and explained that this was the second time I'd had to call them for this. I also explained that they were "retaliators." They said they'd send someone out. Less than 5 minutes later, a police unit was on scene.

There's been blessed silence ever since. I hope the police wrote them a ticket.