• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you MAD

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I may try later with a different e-mail address. We'll see.

I wonder if Google, Facebook, etc. have any idea how many accounts are unique persons, and how many are pseudonyms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TotalBiscuit just passed away. Cancer. He was only in his thirties.

I didn't agree with him politically. Especially not with his attitude towards GamerGate. But he had a wife and kids and bollocking NO-ONE deserves that. I hate cancer so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Especially not with his attitude towards GamerGate.

I thought it was just a case of people pestering him asking him what side he was on and he refused to participate which was met with a lot of backlash from both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mosquitoes that get in despite screens (possibly coming in when people go through the door) then buzz around you (occasionally biting you) all night. We somehow wound up with dozens of mosquitoes in the house last night, and I lost several hours of sleep thanks to them... 

(I wasn't quite sure whether to put this in the "annoyed" or "MAD" thread, because this isn't quite a capslock situation... but after having gotten only a few hours of sleep thanks to these mosquitoes I'm a lot more than just annoyed.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember that the female mosquito only takes blood from mammals when she is ready to lay eggs.

So your night time annoyance has helped ensure subsequent generations of mosquitos to annoy you in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just remember that the female mosquito only takes blood from mammals when she is ready to lay eggs.

So your night time annoyance has helped ensure subsequent generations of mosquitos to annoy you in the future.

Not if I killed them either before they could bite me (I lost count of how many, but there were quite a few) or before they could get away (probably five or so, and that sure left a mess; I'll be lucky if nothing wound up with blood-stains on it). (Granted, I probably did miss a few of them.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon the tech....

Most UEFI PC BIOSes "helpfully" change their boot order without asking.  the average user shouldn't care that much but in a lab environment it's annoying as hades. 

For my own convenience I want all my machines to boot from optical disk (Cd/DVD/BD rom) first.  It makes disk formats and mass OS installs simpler and quicker.   Old BIOSes?  No problem.  I tell the BIOS to boot from the disk first, that's exactly what it is going to do.  Every time.  Makes sense right? 

That's too simpleminded for a UEFI BIOS.  It knows better.  If it sees a new UEFI-format hard drive if feels compelled to alter its boot order without asking for permission or telling anyone, to make the hard drive boot first, which is what I DO NOT want.  I can reset the boot order of course but UEFI is constantly looking for a reason to pounce and put the hard drive on top again.  There's no way to turn this behaviour off, because of course it's clearly superior behavior.  Why would anyone want anything different?

I suppose there's an edge case or two this helps.  A moderately skilled user installs windows from a disk.  The BIOS then automagically gets the disk out of her or his way if they forget to pull the disk out of the drive after starting the install.  But most windows disks come with with a "hit any key" prompt to re-enter the install environment and otherwise go on to boot the .hard disk anyway, so why again?  Very annoying.  Very much slows the process down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

That's too simpleminded for a UEFI BIOS.  It knows better.  If it sees a new UEFI-format hard drive if feels compelled to alter its boot order without asking for permission or telling anyone, to make the hard drive boot first, which is what I DO NOT want.  I can reset the boot order of course but UEFI is constantly looking for a reason to pounce and put the hard drive on top again.  There's no way to turn this behaviour off, because of course it's clearly superior behavior.  Why would anyone want anything different?

Not just that. If it sees that a location listed in the boot order doesn't exist, it *removes* that location. Then on a later boot if that location exists again, it decides on its own where to place the location in the boot order - it can't just use the old location, because that information is completely lost.

In an era of ubiquitous removable drives of at least three kinds (CD/DVD, spinning disks and SSDs, and flash drives), does this make ANY sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Not just that. If it sees that a location listed in the boot order doesn't exist, it *removes* that location. Then on a later boot if that location exists again, it decides on its own where to place the location in the boot order - it can't just use the old location, because that information is completely lost.

In an era of ubiquitous removable drives of at least three kinds (CD/DVD, spinning disks and SSDs, and flash drives), does this make ANY sense?

This is a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.  We could set a hard and fast boot order in older BIOSes and it would simply use that.  Someone had to make a case for updating this behavior and convince other people that it was a good idea.

Another edge case is the occasionally annoying moments where a system attempts to boot from the flash drive instead of the hard drive.  The solution (pull the flash drive out of the USB port) must have seemed too strenuous or counter-intuitive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now