• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday June 23, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2364

I said on Discord that I think she's looking like she is because she wants to be as sincere as possible with Tedd. I think Tedd already knows that it was Box that marked him (Grace mentioned her as the creepy girl from TV and suspected her of marking people, and Sarah confirmed that she was responsible for the energy levels in Moperville), so don't think she hide that from him, she might not say anything about being Box but I don't think she needs to. Anyway, her child form wouldn't be taken as seriously, she usually comes across as either mischievous, or emotionally vulnerable, and her older form it too serious sometimes, and has had the habit of coming across as condescending, Pandora doesn't need any of that right now.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I said on Discord that I think she's looking like she is because she wants to be as sincere as possible with Tedd. I think Tedd already knows that it was Box that marked him (Grace mentioned her as the creepy girl from TV and suspected her of marking people, and Sarah confirmed that she was responsible for the energy levels in Moperville), so don't think she hide that from him, she might not say anything about being Box but I don't think she needs to.

Question is if she deliberately decided to risk Tedd will connect her identities or if she just didn't though about it. I would suspect the later. I mean, it would totally look weird if she would appear as child and talked like this and possibly declared herself his grant-godmother - wait, is she going to tell him about having son?

Hmmm ... will Edward's wards alert him of immortal being present in house? ... they probably can't detect immortals when invisible, but maybe when visible?

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Question is if she deliberately decided to risk Tedd will connect her identities or if she just didn't though about it. I would suspect the later. I mean, it would totally look weird if she would appear as child and talked like this and possibly declared herself his grant-godmother - wait, is she going to tell him about having son?

Hmmm ... will Edward's wards alert him of immortal being present in house? ... they probably can't detect immortals when invisible, but maybe when visible?

Personally, I don't think she cares if Tedd knows who she is, I don't think she'll go into details about Adrian because she told Sarah she couldn't tell anyone before she told him. So I'm certain she's going to keep the conversation mainly about Tedd.

As for Edward's wards? I'm not sure, Pandora's probably powerful enough that she may have no trouble circumventing them. I mean, this isn't the first time she's been in the house, and we didn't hear any alarms go off when Voltaire showed up. Then again, Adrian couldn't detect his own mother's magic when she was disguised as Wolf, so maybe the wards only function by detecting magic, and thus can't detect Immortals at all.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Personally, I don't think she cares if Tedd knows who she is, I don't think she'll go into details about Adrian because she told Sarah she couldn't tell anyone before she told him. So I'm certain she's going to keep the conversation mainly about Tedd.

Of course she wouldn't be talking about details. But just mentioning he's her grant-godson implies she has child.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

As for Edward's wards? I'm not sure, Pandora's probably powerful enough that she may have no trouble circumventing them. I mean, this isn't the first time she's been in the house, and we didn't hear any alarms go off when Voltaire showed up.

The alarm doesn't need to be audible. And she was invisible in all other cases.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Then again, Adrian couldn't detect his own mother's magic when she was disguised as Wolf, so maybe the wards only function by detecting magic, and thus can't detect Immortals at all.

Yes, obviously, wards detecting magic wouldn't detect her. Doesn't mean those are only wards Edward installed. ESPECIALLY after Voltaire showed up.

I need to have a more fundamental question answered.

Tedd knows of Adrian and that he is magical.  But is Tedd aware of Adrian Raven's status as The Godfather?  If the departure of Noriko and the falling out between Edward and Adrian happened when Tedd was young enough, Tedd might not even know that he has a Godfather.

If Tedd is aware?  Then any comment from Mrs Raven about being a grand fairy godmother will be enough identification or confirmation for Tedd.

If Tedd is not aware?  This could be a repeat of the recent Sarah conversation.

And if Pandora discovers that Adrian is actually Jeremy's Godfather and not Tedd's?  Then we will finally know for certain why this story arc was named "Catspaws".

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd knows of Adrian and that he is magical.  But is Tedd aware of Adrian Raven's status as The Godfather?  If the departure of Noriko and the falling out between Edward and Adrian happened when Tedd was young enough, Tedd might not even know that he has a Godfather.

If Tedd is aware?  Then any comment from Mrs Raven about being a grand fairy godmother will be enough identification or confirmation for Tedd.

Exactly. And personally I would suspect Tedd is NOT aware. Although ... wait. Tedd doesn't like to think about his mother. Maybe he is repressing some memories but when Pandora mentions it he will remember.

Wait again. Tedd is named Tedd Drew Verres ... does it mean "Drew" was Adrian's idea?

3 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And if Pandora discovers that Adrian is actually Jeremy's Godfather and not Tedd's?

I don't think EGS is THAT kind of comedy. Not enough people slipping on bananas, for example.

Tedd is enchanting one of his spell watches. Why? What's the point? He knows that even if magic doesn't reset, the watches won't work any more once the clog is removed and the excess magic drains. He's worked so hard to get this far, and now...

I'm not sure Pandora intended to reveal herself, but maybe after observing Tedd making a watch that won't work soon and knowing that he knows that, Pandora decided it was time to get personal.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd is enchanting one of his spell watches. Why? What's the point? He knows that even if magic doesn't reset, the watches won't work any more once the clog is removed and the excess magic drains. He's worked so hard to get this far, and now...

He may want to do some additional experiment? Maybe the "what's the point" question is why he's not exactly enthusiastic about it.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm not sure Pandora intended to reveal herself, but maybe after observing Tedd making a watch that won't work soon and knowing that he knows that, Pandora decided it was time to get personal.

I think she wanted to talk with him, so yes she intended to reveal herself.

12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait again. Tedd is named Tedd Drew Verres ... does it mean "Drew" was Adrian's idea?

PS: Anyone having link to where it was said? I though it was sometime around Susan mentioning she's Tiffany but seems it wasn't. I think it was mentioned once on "lunch" in school and once much later Grace used whole name addressing Tedd.

PPS: Found it.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think she wanted to talk with him, so yes she intended to reveal herself.

Well, if she did come to talk to her great godson, I think she might be checking off her bucket list. That is, Pandora may have decided that she's doing so much harm to the people she cares for that it's time to reset at long last. Talking to her son tomorrow could even be the last item on her list.

This theory assumes Pandora doesn't know about Sirleck and Magus' plans for tonight.

That's right, tonight! We have at last crossed over into Friday. Busy day ahead. I'm calling this T Day, in reference to the naming convention started way back by Dan with T Minus the Demon Ally. 

50 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Is it possible that "Box" will try and use Tedd to break down the magic dam, therefore making him her catspaw (in a good way)?

No, she already gave Adrian that job back in An Unkindness.

5 hours ago, The Wozard said:

Does anyone else think Tedd looks like Elliott in this strip? I thought he was Elliott when I first glanced through it.

Oh good, so it wasn't just me.

I wanted to talk about something else, too, namely Dan's renaming of this part of the story. Am I the only one who prefers the original "Fairy Great Godmother" over the now official "Great Fairy Godmother"?

The latter sounds like it's describing a Fairy Godmother who is exemplary, while the latter sounds like it's describing a Great Godmother who also happens to be a fairy - a situation that I believe is literally the case here.

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:
14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Exactly. And personally I would suspect Tedd is NOT aware. Although ... wait. Tedd doesn't like to think about his mother. Maybe he is repressing some memories but when Pandora mentions it he will remember.

Tedd is aware of Adrian being an Elf, but considering he never said anything about Adrian being his godfather definitely suggests that Tedd was very young when crap hit the fan between Edward, Noriko and Adrian, and so doesn't remember Adrian being close to the family at all. Maybe Edward stopped talking to Adrian before Noriko left? I dunno.

I do wonder if Pandora will mention Tedd's mother, not sure for what purpose though maybe Pandora has some more insight into what went down back then and Noriko comes out not being as bad as we thought? I also hope she encourages Tedd to talk to his dad about the genderfluid stuff, I dunno if she's noticed the rift growing between them but I can imagine if she does, she wouldn't want Edward and Tedd to turn out like her and Adrian did.

As for Drew? I'm not sure if it was Adrian's idea or Noriko's, if it was Noriko's idea, then Tedd's reaction to it could be seen as similar to how Susan treats Tiffany. Though considering that was just a one time thing for Tedd and Grace has called Tedd by his full name before suggest that he was more likely just embarrassed by the name Drew for superficial reasons.

Possibly Drew was the maiden name of Edward's mother?

However, Drew does have one advantage I don't think anyone else has pointed out: Thanks to actress Drew Barrymore, Tedd has a gender-neutral middle name.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Possibly Drew was the maiden name of Edward's mother?

However, Drew does have one advantage I don't think anyone else has pointed out: Thanks to actress Drew Barrymore, Tedd has a gender-neutral middle name.

Thanks to Steam now hosting Crunchyroll anime, I learned that Nanase is a gender neutral name as well.

First off, love how Pandora looks in this comic.  It's fairly close to how she looked and dressed with Blaike, which makes me think she's being especially open and honest right now.  Not to mention stable, which is also good.

Tedd just looks so....not exactly sad, it's more passive than that.  Like he can't even muster up the energy and interest to be sad.

He does look like he's definitely a boy, which fits with his decision to make sure he gets stuck as a boy if he does get stuck.  It also shows that Da is getting better at showing the subtle differences between normal-male-Tedd and normal-girl-Tedd.

Tedd might be trying to find a way to apply his watch tech to a lower magic field, but if so, he doesn't seem too hopeful about it. :-(

I'm guessing that Tedd is working on the watch he promised to make for Susan back in Playing With Dolls. His promise was only six days ago, Moperville time, and one of the features Susan wanted was changing her hair color. I think Tedd thinks Susan might want to be able to turn blond for Diane when they meet at the mall after school, and he wants to give the watch to Susan at school. Sounds like a good excuse for getting out of bed when he wasn't sleeping anyway.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Added link reference

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, if she did come to talk to her great godson, I think she might be checking off her bucket list. That is, Pandora may have decided that she's doing so much harm to the people she cares for that it's time to reset at long last. Talking to her son tomorrow could even be the last item on her list.

I think she realized she's doing harm and tries to change. She didn't tried it before, IMHO. Of course, this process CAN result in her deciding to reset, either when she would think it's not working or due to realizing that it's the correct thing to do, but I doubt she reached that point yet.

15 hours ago, WR...S said:

For some reason Tedd looks extremely masculine in today's strip - is that just me?

Hmmmm ... tired and depressed is masculine?

(I don't think he looks like Elliot, but he does look differently ...)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Tedd is aware of Adrian being an Elf, but considering he never said anything about Adrian being his godfather definitely suggests that Tedd was very young when crap hit the fan between Edward, Noriko and Adrian, and so doesn't remember Adrian being close to the family at all. Maybe Edward stopped talking to Adrian before Noriko left? I dunno.

I think that he DID talked to him after Noriko left. Specifically, I think he accused him of it. That might be last time they talked.

I do wonder if Pandora will mention Tedd's mother, not sure for what purpose though maybe Pandora has some more insight into what went down back then and Noriko comes out not being as bad as we thought? I also hope she encourages Tedd to talk to his dad about the genderfluid stuff, I dunno if she's noticed the rift growing between them but I can imagine if she does, she wouldn't want Edward and Tedd to turn out like her and Adrian did.

That WOULD be useful. I think it's more likely she wants to tell him something about being seer, though.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Thanks to Steam now hosting Crunchyroll anime, I learned that Nanase is a gender neutral name as well.

I don't think one counterexample makes name gender neutral.

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm guessing that Tedd is working on the watch he promised to make for Susan back in Playing With Dolls. His promise was only six days ago, Moperville time, and one of the features Susan wanted was changing her hair color. I think Tedd thinks Susan might want to be able to turn blond for Diane when they meet at the mall after school, and he wants to give the watch to Susan at school. Sounds like a good excuse for getting out of bed when he wasn't sleeping anyway.

She already left with that watch. He wasn't promising to do it sometimes in future. He was asking what other things which can be quickly included, then just make the watch and gave it to Nanase for making fairy. Presumably, Nanase gave it to Susan before she got the Grace watch.

But maybe he's working on watch for Nanase which he promised?

Does anyone other then me find resetting to be a fate worse then death in some ways. If Pandora were to die there would at least be some finality to it. However resetting is like turning all off you precious memories of friends and loved ones into notes in a journal for some STRANGER to read. It's not just that these attachments are ending, it's that they will be inherited by someone who has NO EMOTIONAL CONNECTION to them yet has YOUR PHYSICAL APPEARANCE (more or less). I can't help but feel that death would be kinder.

3 minutes ago, animalia said:

Does anyone other then me find resetting to be a fate worse then death in some ways. If Pandora were to die there would at least be some finality to it. However resetting is like turning all off you precious memories of friends and loved ones into notes in a journal for some STRANGER to read. It's not just that these attachments are ending, it's that they will be inherited by someone who has NO EMOTIONAL CONNECTION to them yet has YOUR PHYSICAL APPEARANCE (more or less). I can't help but feel that death would be kinder

Humans CAN write their memories to normal books. It's pretty popular, some books are read by millions of strangers.

Meanwhile, Immortals are free to edit their "journal" as they want, even directly lie in it.

So, no. I think reset is fate EXACTLY as death.

(Also, that "your physical apparence" is more like less ... young Jerry didn't looked particularly similar to old one.)