• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Friday June 23, 2017

12 minutes ago, WR...S said:

As Grace would say, she is sweet and adorable and omnipotent would own you in a zapping contest...

Fixed that for you. ;)

Sure, Ellen can resize clothing, but needs special hand gestures to do so, Rhoda doesn't need specific gestures and she can shrink or enlarge specific parts of clothing (like sleeves).

Even Dan's commentary states that Rhoda is the closest thing to being a wizard without being a wizard, Dan mentions themes for character spells, but apparently Rhoda doesn't have a theme.

Rhoda is the size queen... (That sounds so wrong all of a sudden...)

Shorter, longer, fatter, skinnier, resize the clothes or not, resize part of someone or something, and she's able to change the size more than any of the other cast members who can do this. So resizing is her primary talent or theme if you like. Other things such as changing hair color isn't her primary forte (someone please remind me where we learned she could do that, my memory fails me). I'm not certain in what way her cosmetic capabilities are second to the beams Ellen use. Perhaps the effect wears off quicker, perhaps she can only change hair color to something that occurs naturally while Ellen can make it glow-in-the-dark plaid. Who knows...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also, what is more cooler that a magic flashlight?

Freeze ray? :)

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Even Dan's commentary states that Rhoda is the closest thing to being a wizard without being a wizard, Dan mentions themes for character spells, but apparently Rhoda doesn't have a theme.

I would assume Rhoda is still limited to transformations (enchantments). She probably can't summon magic weapons like Susan or fly like Nanase, not speaking about avatars with persistence.

Of course, this page suggests Rhoda got more spells since the Mall, and she IS S-rank talent, so ...

8 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

(someone please remind me where we learned she could do that, my memory fails me)

Here. Her disguise spell can change hair color. And hair shape and eye color and shirt color and jacket color and remove freckles.

12 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

I'm not certain in what way her cosmetic capabilities are second to the beams Ellen use.

We didn't saw her change someone's sex yet.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I would assume Rhoda is still limited to transformations (enchantments). She probably can't summon magic weapons like Susan or fly like Nanase, not speaking about avatars with persistence.

Of course, this page suggests Rhoda got more spells since the Mall, and she IS S-rank talent, so ...

Yeah we don't know what other spells Rhoda could have, in all honesty, with people getting spells that reflect who they are, they could get any number of different spells based on the things they do throughout their lives, so while Rhoda started out with size related spells because of her skewed perception of size, and then disguise relates spells based on her not wanting to be noticed. She might start getting her own cat related spells after being transformed a few times by Catalina.

Dan also did compare her to Nanase in the spell variety department, so I wonder if Rhoda can get her own Guardian Form.

One can hope, right? ;)

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Here. Her disguise spell can change hair color. And hair shape and eye color and shirt color and jacket color and remove freckles.

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We didn't saw her change someone's sex yet.

Well, that's hardly a cosmetic change?

Thought (yea, rare enough for me): The size change spells (and the TF-gun) must have a secondary effect in that people who are transformed doesn't seem to have any problem adapting to a different center of gravity or a change in the length in the limbs... Not really of interest for this discussion, but the novelty of having an idea made me pause to type this up.

39 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Thought (yea, rare enough for me): The size change spells (and the TF-gun) must have a secondary effect in that people who are transformed doesn't seem to have any problem adapting to a different center of gravity or a change in the length in the limbs... Not really of interest for this discussion, but the novelty of having an idea made me pause to type this up.

I can't remember where Dan said it, but I think changes in forms by default don't have any side effects like having to learn how to walk/talk and chew bubblegum each time you change forms, it's just natural, unless of course if you think about it too much.

47 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Dan also did compare her to Nanase in the spell variety department, so I wonder if Rhoda can get her own Guardian Form.

One can hope, right? ;)

Personally, I would prefer if she wouldn't, because I like Catalina.

Yes, she probably will be capable of getting Guardian Form. But she will likely only get it if she would really like to protect others. To be willing to die for them. Guardian form can only be cast when someone's in danger.

So, most likely, you are hoping that Catalina would be attacked by vampire and Rhoda would need to go in extreme measures to protect her.

46 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Actually, the "straight" size change spell might somehow cheat and not need the adapting. You are however true about all more complicated spells, like making person taller or enlarging just part of body. And, yes, the TF gun compensates for that ... not really so novel :)

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So, most likely, you are hoping that Catalina would be attacked by vampire and Rhoda would need to go in extreme measures to protect her.

Not necessarily, we know Rhoda cares about Diane as well, Diane's already been attacked once, and there are still more vampires out there, someone suggested that Diane might have an angst induced awakening if she were to witness Susan's life in danger, but what if Rhoda witnesses Diane's life in danger?

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Not necessarily, we know Rhoda cares about Diane as well, Diane's already been attacked once, and there are still more vampires out there, someone suggested that Diane might have an angst induced awakening if she were to witness Susan's life in danger, but what if Rhoda witnesses Diane's life in danger?

Those threatening Diane would suddenly get very small.  Rhoda has Awakened so there isn't anything like that which can happen for her.

5 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Those threatening Diane would suddenly get very small.  Rhoda has Awakened so there isn't anything like that which can happen for her.

That depends, what if the vampires can resist Rhoda's shrink spells? Not_Tengu easily resist Ellen's beam (and it's possible that it wasn't even an FV5 beam she used). Actually, It would make sense if Ellen tried shrinking Not_Tengu, even half size might have made him easier to fight hand to hand.

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:
54 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Are you implying that it's ok to hope Diane would be in danger? :)

(Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if EVERYONE would be in danger, but it still seems not ok to hope for that.)

It's true that Diane would be primary target for any vampire. Well, she and Susan, but Susan can defend herself. Meanwhile, Diane is unlikely to get closer to awakening in one week.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:
12 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

That depends, what if the vampires can resist Rhoda's shrink spells? Not_Tengu easily resist Ellen's beam (and it's possible that it wasn't even an FV5 beam she used). Actually, It would make sense if Ellen tried shrinking Not_Tengu, even half size might have made him easier to fight hand to hand.

Probably not all vampires, but yes some might be powerful enough to resist it.

And good point. We didn't known about other options when we read the story, but now we can say Ellen had several options which would make more sense to use on Not-Tengu than FV5 and copy. Starting with shrinking, yes, but maybe heavier could make him unable to fly ... ok, shrinking sounds like best option.

PS: Are we sure vampires won't be dangerous when small?

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Being magic users themselves, Vampires probably would resist Rhoda's shrinking spells fairly well. 

If Ellen used her FV5 beam on Not-Tengu then there's limited amounts we can say about how he would resist Rhoda because Ellen's FV5 beam uses Earth magic to generate a TF Gun beam, which uses Uryuom energy.  But yeah.  In the main, they won't stay small, tall, fat or blonde as long as a none mage would.

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Being magic users themselves, Vampires probably would resist Rhoda's shrinking spells fairly well. 

Being S-class magic user, Rhoda might been able to overcome their defense.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Agreed.  As the "Mistriss of Shrink", if anybody can reduce a horror to pocket size, and keep it there, it would be Rhoda.

33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Are you implying that it's ok to hope Diane would be in danger? :)

(Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if EVERYONE would be in danger, but it still seems not ok to hope for that.)

More like I'm hoping that IF someone close to Rhoda were in danger, she'd come running in with a guardian form to save the day.

Does that cover things better? ;)

36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

PS: Are we sure vampires won't be dangerous when small?

If any of them can pull explosives out of their trenchcoats like the Spidervampire could, then they could still be dangerous.

31 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

If Ellen used her FV5 beam on Not-Tengu then there's limited amounts we can say about how he would resist Rhoda because Ellen's FV5 beam uses Earth magic to generate a TF Gun beam, which uses Uryuom energy.  But yeah.  In the main, they won't stay small, tall, fat or blonde as long as a none mage would.

I'm pretty certain Ellen's beams are still using Earth Magic rather than Ellen converting Earth Magic into Uryuom energy. Her beams are only supposed to mimic the TFG delivery method.

Unless that's what you were trying to say already... then carry on. ;)

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

23 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Agreed.  As the "Mistriss of Shrink", if anybody can reduce a horror to pocket size, and keep it there, it would be Rhoda.

Possibly, but she's only been at it for probably 7 going on 8 months? Rhoda might be good, but as hkmaly stated before, there's a chance there's a vampire or two that are better. It's also possible, that considering the reason so many vampires are being sent after Adrian is basically a Zerg Rush intent to overwhelm him. Rhoda may not be able to handle more than a couple herself and risk being overwhelmed as well.

This now sounds like an infomercial, with all that jazz.

Nicely enough, it did not take me long enough to see that Rhoda is in the background of panel 3, hopefully.

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Possibly, but she's only been at it for probably 7 going on 8 months? Rhoda might be good, but as hkmaly stated before, there's a chance there's a vampire or two that are better.

Yes ; I would assume that in the horde raining on Moperville, there would be both experienced vampires capable of resisting Rhoda and novices who wouldn't.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's also possible, that considering the reason so many vampires are being sent after Adrian is basically a Zerg Rush intent to overwhelm him. Rhoda may not be able to handle more than a couple herself and risk being overwhelmed as well.

If she would use guardian form, then definitely - because after using it she would be burned out whole day.

I would expect she can shrink around dozen if they won't attack her at the same time ... I would also expect there will be more than dozen vampires.

Luckily, Susan can summon multiple things at once now, so she may be able to arm herself, Nanase and Grace.

47 minutes ago, Stature said:

This now sounds like an infomercial, with all that jazz.

Nicely enough, it did not take me long enough to see that Rhoda is in the background of panel 3, hopefully.

Yeah unfortunately Dan didn't draw her completely so that we could see a version without the dialog boxes:

I'm afraid that wouldn't help. What's below that bubble is just enough nonsense to get the shadows and stuff right ^^;

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If any of them can pull explosives out of their trenchcoats like the Spidervampire could, then they could still be dangerous.

Shrinking might not reduce the impact of a Vampire's spells either.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty certain Ellen's beams are still using Earth Magic rather than Ellen converting Earth Magic into Uryuom energy. Her beams are only supposed to mimic the TFG delivery method.

But Ellen's beams mimic the delivery method so well that they are for all intents and purposes Uryouom energy effects. The only thing we aren't sure of is whether an ellen-beam can stabilize a Greater Seynoulu the way a TF gun beam can.  No reason to think it couldn't.

59 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Possibly, but she's only been at it for probably 7 going on 8 months? Rhoda might be good, but as hkmaly stated before, there's a chance there's a vampire or two that are better. It's also possible, that considering the reason so many vampires are being sent after Adrian is basically a Zerg Rush intent to overwhelm him. Rhoda may not be able to handle more than a couple herself and risk being overwhelmed as well.

Being relative newcomers in conflict with much more seasoned magic users is a common problem with the characters in EGS.  The only known S-Rank talents are Rhoda, as stated by Pandora and Nanase an implication of being called "royalty" by the griffins.  They ought to be a cut above in some way and effectiveness of spells might be it.

10 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

But Ellen's beams mimic the delivery method so well that they are for all intents and purposes Uryouom energy effects. The only thing we aren't sure of is whether an ellen-beam can stabilize a Greater Seynoulu the way a TF gun beam can.  No reason to think it couldn't.

Vladia is not convinced. Also, she doesn't have her antennae.

(Isn't it nice how it's not only hypothetical question?)

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Luckily, Susan can summon multiple things at once now, so she may be able to arm herself, Nanase and Grace.

This is all assuming that much of the main cast will be nearby when crap hit's the fan.

Sarah might be at the mall with Sam while Susan is meeting Diane, I can see Susan giving Sarah a ride over if that's where Sarah and Sam agreed to meet. Catalina and Rhoda might be there as well for a date but not guaranteed. Though they might go to see if anything else crazy happens.

Grace and Tedd, I'm not sure, I guess it depends on what Pandora tells Tedd? I don't really see any reason for them to go to the mall unless Grace feels the need to get Tedd out of the house, though it's possible that Grace has to work at the comic shop, the tournaments are a weekly event for those who aren't restricted by allowances. That would also make Justin unavailable for anything happening at the mall.

The vampire attacks are supposed to distract Helena and Demetrius from watching Elliot so that Magus can get Ellen to zap him, so that means that Ellen and Elliot would need to be together at the time of the attacks. Nanase would likely be with Ellen...I wonder if Nanase, Ellen, Elliot and Ashley will go on a double date? So that Nanase and Ellen could get to know Ashley better? Nanase did seem suspicious about Ashley, Ellen might worry about that and suggest the double date, that could get the to the mall as well. Though they might be too close and still easily protected by Helena and Demetrius. Their date might have to be elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Being relative newcomers in conflict with much more seasoned magic users is a common problem with the characters in EGS.  The only known S-Rank talents are Rhoda, as stated by Pandora and Nanase an implication of being called "royalty" by the griffins.  They ought to be a cut above in some way and effectiveness of spells might be it.

But Adrian would also have to be S Rank right? At least by Wizard standards? I mean he's half Immortal and Abraham was probably also considered S Rank despite the foul up with the diamond and supposedly Wizards can be more powerful according to the commentary.