• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Friday June 23, 2017

I'm guessing Elliot's theme (now that the effects of the diamond has worn off) is superheroes. This will EVENTUALLY give him a variety of spells given how varied the types of powers superheroes get are. However, given that he wants to be Superman I bet he runs through THOSE powers FIRST.

Just now, animalia said:

I'm guessing Elliot's theme (now that the effects of the diamond has worn off) is superheroes. This will EVENTUALLY give him a variety of spells given how varied the types of powers superheroes get are. However, given that he wants to be Superman I bet he runs through THOSE powers FIRST.

The question is, will Elliot get the ability to fire laser beams from his eyes, or FV5 beams from his eyes. ;)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

This is all assuming that much of the main cast will be nearby when crap hit's the fan.

Sarah might be at the mall with Sam while Susan is meeting Diane, I can see Susan giving Sarah a ride over if that's where Sarah and Sam agreed to meet. Catalina and Rhoda might be there as well for a date but not guaranteed. Though they might go to see if anything else crazy happens.

Grace and Tedd, I'm not sure, I guess it depends on what Pandora tells Tedd? I don't really see any reason for them to go to the mall unless Grace feels the need to get Tedd out of the house, though it's possible that Grace has to work at the comic shop, the tournaments are a weekly event for those who aren't restricted by allowances. That would also make Justin unavailable for anything happening at the mall.

The vampire attacks are supposed to distract Helena and Demetrius from watching Elliot so that Magus can get Ellen to zap him, so that means that Ellen and Elliot would need to be together at the time of the attacks. Nanase would likely be with Ellen...I wonder if Nanase, Ellen, Elliot and Ashley will go on a double date? So that Nanase and Ellen could get to know Ashley better? Nanase did seem suspicious about Ashley, Ellen might worry about that and suggest the double date, that could get the to the mall as well. Though they might be too close and still easily protected by Helena and Demetrius. Their date might have to be elsewhere.

Yes, this is assuming the main cast will be nearby. Which, no matter how unprobable, is very likely to happen ; this is going to be too big event to just leave someone out. Double date might be involved ... or triple date?

But Adrian would also have to be S Rank right? At least by Wizard standards? I mean he's half Immortal and Abraham was probably also considered S Rank despite the foul up with the diamond and supposedly Wizards can be more powerful according to the commentary.

I would expect so, but I find unlikely Abraham is so good, so either Raven got rusty due to not enough opportunities for training or Abraham got lucky.

2 hours ago, animalia said:

The question is, will Elliot get the ability to fire laser beams from his eyes, or FV5 beams from his eyes. ;)

The question is what powers Elliot THINKS Superman has. Because as we know, he's not exactly expert on superman ... or any other superhero.

So Ellen has beam attacks that change lots of things.

One change at a time.

Her biggest limitation on beam attacks in combat is that they all require cool down or recharge periods between each use.  With the exception of the FV5 beam, of course.  Do we know if her combat prowess has improved since the last time we saw her sparing with Grace and Greg.

And as for were everyone will be Friday Night?  Justin and Grace will be at Salty Crackers moderating another card tournament.  Sarah and Sam will be out on a sorta-maybe date.  And what Tedd will do next depends a lot on what PCR Box tells him.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I would expect so, but I find unlikely Abraham is so good, so either Raven got rusty due to not enough opportunities for training or Abraham got lucky.

Adrian's desire to not kill (though he did threaten to do so if Abraham didn't surrender) might have given Abraham the upper hand. But considering the spells at Abraham's disposal as well as magic items and the fact that he was able to resist the sleep spell would suggest that he's a decently powerful wizard. Also Abraham would have killed other monsters created by the diamond, if any of them were hostile, he'd have to have learned how to fight them. Also I would imagine that being able to put ones self into essentially a stone stasis pod would be quite a high level spell.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Do we know if her combat prowess has improved since the last time we saw her sparing with Grace and Greg.

That was nearly a month ago that we saw it, but I would imagine her and Grace have done more since then. Certainly more that Elliot's done.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Adrian's desire to not kill (though he did threaten to do so if Abraham didn't surrender) might have given Abraham the upper hand. But considering the spells at Abraham's disposal as well as magic items and the fact that he was able to resist the sleep spell would suggest that he's a decently powerful wizard. Also Abraham would have killed other monsters created by the diamond, if any of them were hostile, he'd have to have learned how to fight them. Also I would imagine that being able to put ones self into essentially a stone stasis pod would be quite a high level spell.

Hmmmm ... good point. He might get better since his fiasco with the diamond.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

That was nearly a month ago that we saw it, but I would imagine her and Grace have done more since then. Certainly more that Elliot's done.

Elliot: "I'm a superhero! I can fly! I don't need any trai- thwump"

... yeah, he seriously needs aerial combat training from Nanase.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And as for were everyone will be Friday Night?  Justin and Grace will be at Salty Crackers moderating another card tournament.  Sarah and Sam will be out on a sorta-maybe date.

That's where they START.

Nanase was in Tedd's basement on start of So a Date at the Mall (or at least little before that).

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

More like "Oh Carp!"

But yeah, training with someone who does have combat flying experience would be good.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:
11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

More like "Oh Carp!"

But yeah, training with someone who does have combat flying experience would be good.

The "Oh Carp" proves that he didn't payed attention at "thwump" and didn't get better since. It's still too soon after "Oh Carp" to say if he finally got a clue and started training.

Although the Friday would likely provide more clues.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

The "Oh Carp" proves that he didn't payed attention at "thwump" and didn't get better since. It's still too soon after "Oh Carp" to say if he finally got a clue and started training.

Although the Friday would likely provide more clues.

Yeah, Elliot's been preoccupied with things this week, but I don't know if Ellen and Grace have done any more training this past week either.

On 6/23/2017 at 6:23 PM, Stature said:

Nicely enough, it did not take me long enough to see that Rhoda is in the background of panel 3, hopefully.

Oh, so it is. It's an extreme close-up of tiny-sized Ellen being held by Rhoda.

Speaking of Rhoda saying "I can do all these things", her "disguise" spell extended to Catalina because Catalina was inside her jacket, but we haven't been told yet if she can cast that spell on other people at will rather than just on herself.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

Speaking of Rhoda saying "I can do all these things", her "disguise" spell extended to Catalina because Catalina was inside her jacket, but we haven't been told yet if she can cast that spell on other people at will rather than just on herself.

It's possible we just did. I mean, if we take "I can do all these things" literally, it's canonical confirmation that she really has spells capable of doing everything described. But, yes, I'm not sure if we really should take it that way too.

On 6/23/2017 at 7:26 PM, hkmaly said:

Vladia is not convinced. Also, she doesn't have her antennae.

(Isn't it nice how it's not only hypothetical question?)

The way I read that comic, It's not a question of "convinced" or "not convinced". Vladia has chosen not to find out if her shapeshifting is more fluid so we still don't know if Ellen's beam would stabilize a greater Seynoulu even though she has used it on one. 

As an aside, Vladia's fears are probably reasonable.  It's Grace's Lespuko side that lets her hide her antennae.  Vladia has no Lespuko component in her, so if she gets her antennae back, she's very probably stuck with them.

The comic also makes the point that when Ellen zapped Vlad and created Vladia it wasn't a normal use of her beam.  Vladia's experience is an exception.  That makes it a shaky counter example when we're talking about how Ellen's beams generally behave.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

The way I read that comic, It's not a question of "convinced" or "not convinced". Vladia has chosen not to find out if her shapeshifting is more fluid so we still don't know if Ellen's beam would stabilize a greater Seynoulu even though she has used it on one. 

As an aside, Vladia's fears are probably reasonable.  It's Grace's Lespuko side that lets her hide her antennae.  Vladia has no Lespuko component in her, so if she gets her antennae back, she's very probably stuck with them.

The comic also makes the point that when Ellen zapped Vlad and created Vladia it wasn't a normal use of her beam.  Vladia's experience is an exception.  That makes it a shaky counter example when we're talking about how Ellen's beams generally behave.

Grace's lespuko genes let her mix and match parts of forms, but any uryoum that is changed via a clone form will not have their antennae while in the clone form, as seen with Will and Gill. I imagine this would be true of a greater seynoulu as well. There's no proof that Ellen's beam acted as a clone form beam of some sort, but it's not impossible given the spell was acting outside of its normal parameters. Vladia hasn't attempted to change back for a number of reasons, but a big one is the fact that if Ellen's beam didn't stabilize her shapeshifting, the attempt could kill her.

5 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Grace's lespuko genes let her mix and match parts of forms, but any uryoum that is changed via a clone form will not have their antennae while in the clone form, as seen with Will and Gill. I imagine this would be true of a greater seynoulu as well. There's no proof that Ellen's beam acted as a clone form beam of some sort, but it's not impossible given the spell was acting outside of its normal parameters. Vladia hasn't attempted to change back for a number of reasons, but a big one is the fact that if Ellen's beam didn't stabilize her shapeshifting, the attempt could kill her.

That and Vladia is happy to look and feel like a human being instead of a freak.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Vladia is happy to look and feel like a human being instead of a freak

I will assume you did not intend that as an insult.
It is quite possible to be both a human and a freak.  And some of us are proud and happy to be both.

25 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It is quite possible to be both a human and a freak.  And some of us are proud and happy to be both.

Correct.  No offense was intended.

The obvious truism bears repeating.  Being different is often painful.  More literally than most in Vladia's case.

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:
5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

The "attempt could kill her" is definitely the main reason. She simply thinks her current form is not so bad to risk it. Question is, is it because she perceives the risk as too big, or is it because she's actually ok with being sexy girl?

Now ... if Ellen's beam didn't stabilized her, TF gun would. Do you think anyone would object if Tedd zapped her with MV1? Did noone realized it's an option or should we take Vladia not asking about it as proof she's ok with being sexy girl?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Vladia is happy to look and feel like a human being instead of a freak

I agree that looking as human has it's advantages, but feeling like human is overrated and often goes against the "happy" part. Of course, depends on the alternative: Vlad apparently had even worse alternative so feeling like human was definitely step up.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The "attempt could kill her" is definitely the main reason. She simply thinks her current form is not so bad to risk it. Question is, is it because she perceives the risk as too big, or is it because she's actually ok with being sexy girl?

Vladia says in a comic that in her mind she was never a man, which cuts to the idea of Vlad thinking he was a monster and embracing humanity as Vladia.  In the comic you linked to upthread she even refers to her previous body as her "monster form" and says "I'm not risking my life, and my face, when I'm happy like this."  When she adds "and my face", she seems to be saying both are very large concerns with shapeshifting: Losing her life, losing her humanity.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Now ... if Ellen's beam didn't stabilized her, TF gun would. Do you think anyone would object if Tedd zapped her with MV1? Did noone realized it's an option or should we take Vladia not asking about it as proof she's ok with being sexy girl?

You write as if Tedd's TF Gun were the only one on Earth.  It ought not be.  It's simply the only easily programmable Cosmetic Morphing Device known to exist on Earth.  There ought to be plenty of Uyouom morphing devices on earth that are up to Uryouom legal code.  The people suprivising Grace's siblings ought to be able to borrow one if they wanted to stabilize Vladia.  They could probably make her male again too..

Probably Vladia is just done with shapeshifting thoreticals and ought-to-bes.  she's human, she likes it.  That's it.  being a sexy girl is probably a nice bonus.

59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I agree that looking as human has it's advantages, but feeling like human is overrated and often goes against the "happy" part. Of course, depends on the alternative: Vlad apparently had even worse alternative so feeling like human was definitely step up.

There's a lot of stories and movies about how being human at heart is more important than looking outwardly human.  It's the whole "judging a book by it's cover" thing.  Vlad was a bioweapon first and a soldier in Damian's army after that.  Neither role fostered much in the way of humanity. Vlad was taught that his outward monster form was an accurate reflection of who he was.  Being turned human gave him a way out of that trap and he went for it.

48 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

You write as if Tedd's TF Gun were the only one on Earth.  It ought not be.  It's simply the only easily programmable Cosmetic Morphing Device known to exist on Earth.

1) We don't know how many Uryuoms are on Earth and how much technology they brought. It IS possible there are no other Cosmetic Morphing Devices on Earth except the gun Tedd has, the other gun Tedd has, the TF gun Edward has somewhere hidden for case Tedd makes some trouble with his gun, the gun Arthur Arthur has for same purpose and the two TF guns the team who is verifying Tedd's research have. However, yes, it is unlikely ; in fact, I suspect Lavender has some non-standard CMD as well.

Still, the TF gun Tedd has might be the only one Vladia is allowed to know about.

52 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

There ought to be plenty of Uyouom morphing devices on earth that are up to Uryouom legal code.  The people suprivising Grace's siblings ought to be able to borrow one if they wanted to stabilize Vladia.  They could probably make her male again too..

2) I'm not entirely sure standard CMD would be able to make Vladia male. Sure, the form was preloaded on Tedd's TF gun, but we don't know if it works on standard CMD as well.

54 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Probably Vladia is just done with shapeshifting thoreticals and ought-to-bes.  she's human, she likes it.  That's it.  being a sexy girl is probably a nice bonus.

It definitely seems that way, but I'm sure if she wouldn't be sexy the decision would be harder.

55 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

There's a lot of stories and movies about how being human at heart is more important than looking outwardly human.  It's the whole "judging a book by it's cover" thing.  Vlad was a bioweapon first and a soldier in Damian's army after that.  Neither role fostered much in the way of humanity. Vlad was taught that his outward monster form was an accurate reflection of who he was.  Being turned human gave him a way out of that trap and he went for it.

Wait wait, "being human at heart" is THIRD way to be human, unrelated to looking as human and feeling as human. And, apparently Vlad had some of that because without it, he wouldn't go for the way out.

(Also, I'm sure calling this "being human at heart" is speciesism and both Adrian and uryuoms would have right to protest.)

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

1) We don't know how many Uryuoms are on Earth and how much technology they brought. It IS possible there are no other Cosmetic Morphing Devices on Earth except the gun Tedd has, the other gun Tedd has, the TF gun Edward has somewhere hidden for case Tedd makes some trouble with his gun, the gun Arthur Arthur has for same purpose and the two TF guns the team who is verifying Tedd's research have. However, yes, it is unlikely ; in fact, I suspect Lavender has some non-standard CMD as well.

Still, the TF gun Tedd has might be the only one Vladia is allowed to know about.

2) I'm not entirely sure standard CMD would be able to make Vladia male. Sure, the form was preloaded on Tedd's TF gun, but we don't know if it works on standard CMD as well.

It definitely seems that way, but I'm sure if she wouldn't be sexy the decision would be harder.

Wait wait, "being human at heart" is THIRD way to be human, unrelated to looking as human and feeling as human. And, apparently Vlad had some of that because without it, he wouldn't go for the way out.

(Also, I'm sure calling this "being human at heart" is speciesism and both Adrian and uryuoms would have right to protest.)

The way that they would protest is to claim the saying should be "Uryuom at heart" or "Elvish at heart", since the point of the saying is that those can be close to the same thing.

Kirk:  Spock, you want to know something?  Everybody's human.

Spock:  I find that remark ... insulting.

From Star Trek VI.  The Trek that does not actually exist.
It's just a cardboard box to make your Trek collection look bigger.

57 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Kirk:  Spock, you want to know something?  Everybody's human.

Spock:  I find that remark ... insulting.

Yes. And if I remember correctly they DID insulted him with very similar remarks when he was younger.

57 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

From Star Trek VI.  The Trek that does not actually exist.
It's just a cardboard box to make your Trek collection look bigger.

Actually it's the Star Trek V which doesn't exist.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually it's the Star Trek V which doesn't exist.

I think that's what the Pharaoh meant, VI was an even number Trek and thus it was a good Trek. ;)

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The difference between a legal-to-sell (by Uyouom law) CMD and the illegal-to-sell device Will and Gill gave to Tedd is all back-end functionality.  In the following comic Will describes it as a "common cosmetic morph device" and reiterates that what makes it different is the programming language by which it operates.

"Common" has to mean that there's nothing unique in how Tedd's TF Gun operates in terms of transformations.  Any CMD would do for a greater Seynoulu what Tedd's would do.

"Common" should also mean "plenty of them among Earth's Uryouom population".  The people helping Grace's siblings should be a part of the paranormal community and therefore should have easy access to a CMD if they wanted one.

I'll back off partly on making Vladia male.  Only Tedd's TF gun or another like it could easily make Vladia male.  You could do it with a legal CMD but setting up the form is implied to be a major programming headache.  Probably like working with COBOL or something.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What Star Trek V?

Sorry. My brain won't process any Trek with the numeral V.

It exists.  It's just that its big ending scene was never filmed.

Trek VI was, sadly, the last Trek film too.  Best to go out with a bang than a whimper I suppose.

They should look at making more Trek films some time.  Paramount hasn't done anything with the franchise since they pulled the plug on Enterprise.  I hear they're doing a new TV show, though.  I'm looking forward to watching Orville...