• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Friday June 23, 2017

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

That's rather like taking the HHGTTG approach isn't it? "It was on display, sure it was in the basement behind a bunch of stuff but it was there for you to see if you happened to find it."

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

HHGTTG didn't INVENTED that.

No, but it does provide an excellent example of the trope.  (Do not make me link to that site...oops, too late!)

I think the reason Will wanted to assure Edward that the CMD wasn't illegal could be part of whatever migration treaty/deal the USA has with the Uryoum parent-planet. Devices and objects that would be illegal on the parent-planet would be barred entry to the USA(at least if the entrant is arriving from the parent-planet). If that is the case, then a CMD acquired illegally on the parent-planet would be contraband in the USA and therefore illegal to own.

I'm not sure Liefield needed any suggestions or ideas to promote Edward out of his position. Edward had used potentially lethal force on a suspect that had surrendered and was in custody. If he didn't have his extensive network of contacts, he would have been fired at the least, and there likely would have been an internal affairs investigation with potential attempted murder charges. Liefield needed to do something. Given a combination of Edward's security clearance and how close he was getting to these matters personally, demoting him wasn't really an option, so that leaves transferring.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

They do. Tedd now has two TF guns and is capable of building more. Unless he was deliberately hiding how from his own father, the instructions are on file in DGB. If it didn't worked, they would be more likely to "strongarm" Tedd into building more than just confiscating the two he has - two guns wouldn't be enough.

I'm not convinced that Tedd learned how to build the second TFG by using schematics of the original. I think he reverse engineered it by way of taking it apart and putting it back together again numerous times.

I meant that as a proper scientist, he should be making notes.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

People sometimes fear that something will happen, without any good reason to think it might. Government vivisectionists, for example.

IMHO Sydney had pretty good reason. You might notice Krona didn't had much choice and she was actually member of other organization. So, without knowing how common supers are, her worry made sense.

But, yes, I already mentioned that Tedd might not evaluate the situation correctly.

2 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I think the reason Will wanted to assure Edward that the CMD wasn't illegal could be part of whatever migration treaty/deal the USA has with the Uryoum parent-planet. Devices and objects that would be illegal on the parent-planet would be barred entry to the USA(at least if the entrant is arriving from the parent-planet). If that is the case, then a CMD acquired illegally on the parent-planet would be contraband in the USA and therefore illegal to own.

Hmmmm ... I think that such treaty being applied on stuff which is forbidden to sell but not own doesn't make sense, BUT 1) while Edward asked if it's illegal, the hope part might be related to it being stolen or connected to other crime than "just" this law 2) the treaty might just been worded in way that covers this by mistake ; it would still be violation of treaty.

(Also note that Edward said "I hope", not "I can't help you if it's illegal" ; it's possible he would help even with illegal device, either by keeping it secret from Uryuom authorities or by using lawyers to make it ok, but he definitely would need to know what the problem is.)

2 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I'm not sure Liefield needed any suggestions or ideas to promote Edward out of his position. Edward had used potentially lethal force on a suspect that had surrendered and was in custody. If he didn't have his extensive network of contacts, he would have been fired at the least, and there likely would have been an internal affairs investigation with potential attempted murder charges. Liefield needed to do something. Given a combination of Edward's security clearance and how close he was getting to these matters personally, demoting him wasn't really an option, so that leaves transferring.

What he said suggests that Edward might get away with that if not for the possibility it will repeat. But, yes, the possibility was clearly there, so yes, Liefield might not need anything more. It's just that it seems Arthur Arthur had already plan ready when he was taking that position, which brings question if he would try to do something to ensure he gets to the position ...

... and, technically, suggestions might happen even if Liefield didn't needed them.