• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday June 28, 2017

55 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Tedd's reaction doesn't bode well.

However I love Pandora's response in the last panel.

Well, magic is basically telling Tedd to abandon his own plans...and by the way, get ready to do some chores for Magic. That has to rankle.

That's why I also like PCR's answer in the last panel.

8 minutes ago, Haylo said:

Well, magic is basically telling Tedd to abandon his own plans...and by the way, get ready to do some chores for Magic. That has to rankle.

That's why I also like PCR's answer in the last panel.

Tedd can choose not to do anything, but he'd of course be torn by his desire to work with magic, and he'd probably have to live with seeing magic all around him, tempting him to do something with it, even if there are other seers in the world to get people using Magic again.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Tedd can choose not to do anything, but he'd of course be torn by his desire to work with magic, and he'd probably have to live with seeing magic all around him, tempting him to do something with it, even if there are other seers in the world to get people using Magic again.

Well as Elliot told Tedd they "live in an era where even [Elliot] has a camera in his pocket. Sooner or later magic is going to have to compromise."

2 minutes ago, animalia said:

Well as Elliot told Tedd they "live in an era where even [Elliot] has a camera in his pocket. Sooner or later magic is going to have to compromise."

Yeah, but Elliot also wanted to ask Immortals to help with giving trans people the bodies they yearned for. Ellen gave many reasons for why that wouldn't work. I imagine there are many reasons why trying to force the WoM to capitulate might not work either.

Wrt arc, or rather line, names in Sister:

“You look in the mirror, but someone else looks back. You remember a life you never had, one that cannot be yours. You are the piece that does not fit, you don't belong in this game. The board has been knocked over, you shall be swept away…”  —Dan Shive

(This was packed into a strip title for some reason.)

Edited by HarJIT

Check panels five and six of this installment. With today's revelation, Tedd now has the knowledge that he'll be able to regain the functionality of the tech and whatever other magic things he cares about which he might lose, should magic change. It just hasn't sunk in yet. He needs to calm down first.

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

Check panels five and six of this installment. With today's revelation, Tedd now has the knowledge that he'll be able to regain the functionality of the tech and whatever other magic things he cares about which he might lose, should magic change. It just hasn't sunk in yet. He needs to calm down first.

The question is, can he be calmed enough to think reasonably, or are we one step closer to him grabbing the gauntlet and declaring war on Magic?

He's not protected, though, against the authorities deciding in a panic to crack down on his being allowed to even possess (working or non) tech. It could be an uphill battle for him to be allowed to re-establish magic..who says the authorities (I'm looking at you, Arthur) really want him to succeed?

I can definitely see someone who has authority but who doesn't know Tedd's a Seer, deciding that if Magic has changed, they need all the tech they can get to tide them over until they figure out the new system, and ordering that all of Tedd's gear be confiscated.  If Tedd's lucky, they'd only order that the TFGs and testing device thereof be confiscated, and they'd miss his glove and watches, but if his dad has been keeping them up to date they might grab everything.

It would probably be a lot worse if they know Tedd's a Seer, given Pandora's assertion that the last person with Sarah's spell was strong-armed into government work....

I don't think Tedd could declare war on magic.  He doesn't know magic's address.  Kind of hard to go on the offensive when you don't know your enemy's location.

As for the strong reaction?

Learning the new details of magic and then teaching others how to use the new magic could be difficult and take a very long time.  If magic resets he could be studying and teaching magic for the rest of his life.  And he might never get as far as he has in the current system.

Also Magic is acting like a spoiled brat.  Why does Tedd need to be Magic's Babysitter?  Is Tedd supposed to give magic a spanking?  

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

... or are we one step closer to him grabbing the gauntlet and declaring war on Magic?

Or one step closer to him grabbing the gauntlet, Pandora getting in the way, and her accidentally getting zapped? It has been said that an immortal would not fare well in a fight on the Earth plane against a strong enough magic user. Would The Dan do this to his readers?

40 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Also Magic is acting like a spoiled brat.  Why does Tedd need to be Magic's Babysitter?  Is Tedd supposed to give magic a spanking?  

This.

Welp, I'm just gonna say this: I do agree with magic change if enough people know about it to stop people from using it. It's been show magic might not be necessarily  destructive, but the places it can open and the things it can do are dangerous to the denizens of said locations just as much to the people.

Is magic expecting Ted to pick up it's pieces, well, no one said he has to. 

Sometime I would love to see someone talk to magic directly. 

I just had a thought. With his seer abilities, Tedd could theoretically force magic to compromise on the resets, depending on how long it takes him to work out how the new system works (and if it is based on his insight ability, then he would just need to see some magical phenomenon in action)

All he would have to do is rapidly and widely disseminate the information he learns about the new system(the internet would be a great boon here) until the system is forced to reset again. Then keep doing that until magic cries uncle.

Ah yes, wouldn't that be ironic. Tedd's mom, thinking that Tedd would never be her apprentice, having to be taught by him how to use magic again.

Of course, this discussion also further breaks down his idea of himself as "magically impaired" that he got from his parents.  Thinking about his parents being wrong about that threatened to bring on the angst.  I have often wondered how much Tedd really knows about his mom leaving, but never allowed himself to dwell on it.

9 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Of course, this discussion also further breaks down his idea of himself as "magically impaired" that he got from his parents.  Thinking about his parents being wrong about that threatened to bring on the angst.  I have often wondered how much Tedd really knows about his mom leaving, but never allowed himself to dwell on it.

I rather hope (and knowing Dan, expect) there's more to Noriko's story.  She may have felt she had to leave when she could no longer pretend Tedd could possibly grow up to be a monster hunter.

But I don't know what that reason is, and leaving a child is a crappy thing to do to the child, so I feel entirely free to hate on her now, knowing that the day will come when I will eventually feel sympathy for her.

I'm wondering how much more Pandora is going to explain to Tedd. If she's going to truly apologize, she has to, because her creating the dam that increased magic power in Moperville is the big reason the WoM is close to hitting the restart button. And that should include why she did it, namely to make a better life for her son. Also maybe she could get around to telling Tedd that her son is his godfather.

By the way, I'm thinking just now that we just might have a clue when Noriko left. When Pandora visited Adrian in the wrap-up of Sister II, he said he hadn't spoken to her in fourteen years. Considering how much Pandora values Tedd, the cause of that break could have been a big argument about Adrian's role in that. That would have been when Tedd was only three or four, just old enough to remember her.

I'm also wondering why Edward didn't remarry if it's been that long. And also wondering if Tedd has ever met Lavender.