• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday June 28, 2017

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

However I love Pandora's response in the last panel.

Yes. Fantastic. She's totally on the same side as Tedd with this and she wants him to know it.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, Haylo said:

Well, magic is basically telling Tedd to abandon his own plans...and by the way, get ready to do some chores for Magic. That has to rankle.

Tedd can choose not to do anything, but he'd of course be torn by his desire to work with magic, and he'd probably have to live with seeing magic all around him, tempting him to do something with it, even if there are other seers in the world to get people using Magic again.

Well, I don't think it's really chore for him ... it would probably be something which he would really like, so much that even the fact Magic is jerking him to do it is unlikely to stop him doing it. On the other hand, yes, you get mixed feelings when you realize someone is expecting you do some work for him even if you actually like doing it.

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I can definitely see someone who has authority but who doesn't know Tedd's a Seer, deciding that if Magic has changed, they need all the tech they can get to tide them over until they figure out the new system, and ordering that all of Tedd's gear be confiscated.  If Tedd's lucky, they'd only order that the TFGs and testing device thereof be confiscated, and they'd miss his glove and watches, but if his dad has been keeping them up to date they might grab everything.

His dad WAS keeping them up to date - at least in writing, but I would think they WOULD read it. Except ... why confiscating the glove and watches when they don't work, just like the wands THEY have?

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

It would probably be a lot worse if they know Tedd's a Seer, given Pandora's assertion that the last person with Sarah's spell was strong-armed into government work....

Yeah. Cranium is sooo unhappy with agent Wolf forcing her into government work ... even if it wasn't her, I suspect that while what Pandora said was technically true it wasn't THAT bad. Especially considering Mr. Verres was responsible (and not Arthur Arthur).

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I just had a thought. With his seer abilities, Tedd could theoretically force magic to compromise on the resets, depending on how long it takes him to work out how the new system works (and if it is based on his insight ability, then he would just need to see some magical phenomenon in action)

All he would have to do is rapidly and widely disseminate the information he learns about the new system(the internet would be a great boon here) until the system is forced to reset again. Then keep doing that until magic cries uncle.

Or he can do something even faster with Seer's SECOND purpose.

4 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ah yes, wouldn't that be ironic. Tedd's mom, thinking that Tedd would never be her apprentice, having to be taught by him how to use magic again.

... I would like to see that, but I suspect she doesn't need to be taught by him directly & personally ... although the face she will make when she finds out the stuff she's learning is based on Tedd's research would be nice to see anyway.

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I rather hope (and knowing Dan, expect) there's more to Noriko's story.  She may have felt she had to leave when she could no longer pretend Tedd could possibly grow up to be a monster hunter.

But I don't know what that reason is, and leaving a child is a crappy thing to do to the child, so I feel entirely free to hate on her now, knowing that the day will come when I will eventually feel sympathy for her.

Yeah. There is definitely more to Noriko's story AND there is definitely more to Helena and Demetrius story AND maybe there will even be connection between those two ... and we will be lucky if we find out before Lord Tedd story.

25 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm wondering how much more Pandora is going to explain to Tedd. If she's going to truly apologize, she has to, because her creating the dam that increased magic power in Moperville is the big reason the WoM is close to hitting the restart button. And that should include why she did it, namely to make a better life for her son. Also maybe she could get around to telling Tedd that her son is his godfather.

On the other hand, Tedd already knows about the dam from Sarah ... but, yes, maybe he will mention her son. What seems more likely for her to mention is that she was just as surprised as him when she found that her plan may cause magic reset - which she already sort of told to Sarah as well, but it would feel like good place to repeat it now because they can bond over that.

By the way, I'm thinking just now that we just might have a clue when Noriko left. When Pandora visited Adrian in the wrap-up of Sister II, he said he hadn't spoken to her in fourteen years. Considering how much Pandora values Tedd, the cause of that break could have been a big argument about Adrian's role in that. That would have been when Tedd was only three or four, just old enough to remember her.

Yes, it does seem that it would be around the same time, although the order in which things happened would be important later ...

I'm also wondering why Edward didn't remarry if it's been that long. And also wondering if Tedd has ever met Lavender.

Likely because he still loves Noriko. Which might be weird but there would be lot of real-life examples, so ...

Also yes only reason why not want to see more with Lavender is that it might complicate things later when Noriko returns.

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Likely because he still loves Noriko. Which might be weird but there would be lot of real-life examples, so ...

I agree with that 9001%.

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also yes only reason why not want to see more with Lavender is that it might complicate things later when Noriko returns.

I don't agree with this, especially about it being the only reason. I think Noriko is the love of Edward's life, but I also think he knows she's never coming back to him. He has to know she about her other child/children by now. Heck, it's established he knows pretty much everything that's important to him and his family. This doesn't mean Edward couldn't develop feelings for Lavender, but there could be issues with Tedd--although since Tedd's girlfriend is part space alien, maybe not that many issues. And Edward could feel that he could never offer Lavender the kind of love he had (probably still has) for Noriko.

Also, if Dan has ever done a sketch or a pinup of Edward and Noriko as a couple, I don't know about it.

A thought: Maybe Lavender is dating Greg now, either because she's interested or because she hopes to get Edward to see that she might not be available forever.

14 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

A thought: Maybe Lavender is dating Greg now, either because she's interested or because she hopes to get Edward to see that she might not be available forever.

That would put my opinion of Lavender down several notches if she was toying with Greg to make Edward jealous.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:
30 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That would put my opinion of Lavender down several notches if she was toying with Greg to make Edward jealous.

Also, she seems more like the type who would lower people's opinion of her by using some mind-control device/magic on Edward. (Her appearance in Zombie Plans when Edward talks about stuff like that may be foreshadowing.)

Also, Greg's girlfriend is "certainly" Vladia.

I think Noriko is the love of Edward's life, but I also think he knows she's never coming back to him. He has to know she about her other child/children by now. Heck, it's established he knows pretty much everything that's important to him and his family. This doesn't mean Edward couldn't develop feelings for Lavender, but there could be issues with Tedd--although since Tedd's girlfriend is part space alien, maybe not that many issues. And Edward could feel that he could never offer Lavender the kind of love he had (probably still has) for Noriko.

That's reasons why EDWARD might not want to have anything with Lavender. I was speaking about OUR reason for not wanting to see their romance develop more.

Also, yes, Tedd is very unlikely to complain based on his new mother being same species his girlfriend is from one quarter. He would have same problems with ANY new mother - which may actually be reasons why Edward will never introduce Lavender to him. Not even to give her truly human form (assumed she would like it ; it seems she's either satisfied with results of her CMD (which may be hacked but not as well as TF-gun) or she wants to solve the problem herself).

Also, if Dan has ever done a sketch or a pinup of Edward and Noriko as a couple, I don't know about it.

Which is related to what? We didn't even saw Noriko's FACE, obviously Dan is hiding it for the big surprise.

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, she seems more like the type who would lower people's opinion of her by using some mind-control device/magic on Edward. (Her appearance in Zombie Plans when Edward talks about stuff like that may be foreshadowing.)

The pause after "mutant mind control fungus..." would have been foreshadowed by Wolf in reference to Lavender as well. ;)

You know what would be a twist, if Lavander actually wasn't lying when she said she's not an alien? I mean if you want to be technical, her being born on Earth wouldn't make her an alien, but what if she was human who chose to have that form?

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You know what would be a twist, if Lavander actually wasn't lying when she said she's not an alien? I mean if you want to be technical, her being born on Earth wouldn't make her an alien, but what if she was human who chose to have that form?

Considering William uses the same explanation for why he isn't alien I think it's STANDARD answer for any uryuom ...

Also, on this page commentary

On 08/27/2008 at 0:00 AM, Dan said:

Hooray for Lavender, Mr. Verres's uryuom assistant! An uryuom assistant who has CLEARLY made use of one or more cosmetic morphing devices (CMDs) in her day. I believe her skin would normally be the color that her hair is here, but she's attempting to look close to human, and Uryuoms can shift their coloring any which way they please even without the help of CMDs. As such, it makes sense that she'd make her skin a color other than, well, bubble-gummy.

So, unless Dan deliberately lied about that ...

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, on this page commentary

On 8/26/2008 at 6:00 PM, Dan said:

Hooray for Lavender, Mr. Verres's uryuom assistant! An uryuom assistant who has CLEARLY made use of one or more cosmetic morphing devices (CMDs) in her day. I believe her skin would normally be the color that her hair is here, but she's attempting to look close to human, and Uryuoms can shift their coloring any which way they please even without the help of CMDs. As such, it makes sense that she'd make her skin a color other than, well, bubble-gummy.

So, unless Dan deliberately lied about that ...

Ahh, yeah, forgot about that, darn. It still would have made a good twist that a human would desire to look like an Uryuom.

Now that revelations are actually being made, I expect Edward to walk in, Pandora to introduce herself, and reveal a bunch of things including that she is Adrian's mother.

Many things, EXCEPT that last thing Hecka told her about Fairies.  I'm sure that thing Hecka said isn't all that important anyway.

14 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Now that revelations are actually being made, I expect Edward to walk in, Pandora to introduce herself, and reveal a bunch of things including that she is Adrian's mother.

And she may also say something about their history ... I mean, she will say something so embarrassing for Edward he will go away again :)

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's quite possible Edward already knows she is

I think that if Edward knew who it was that appeared in the forest, he'd had gone directly to Adrian, but it's apparent they weren't on good terms then so Adrian likely wouldn't referred to under "some friends of mine".

Adrian hadn't seen his mother in 14 years prior to her hospital visit, if Edward had told Adrian that he suspected Adrian's mother of playing games, Adrian should have said something about it during the visit, he certainly shouldn't have been surprised by her sudden appearance, sure he hadn't seen her in 14 year, but if Edward had talked to him about the incident 2 years prior then Adrian would have known his mother was still around and causing trouble.

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

"some friends of mine"

How many Immortal or half-Immortal "friends" does Edward have? Old Jerry knew about him, but we don't know if he actually knew Edward. Maybe Edward knew the old versions of Helen and Demetrius; the first encounter with Pandora might have occurred before Nanase and Susan went to France. If Edward had known about the French connection at that time, though, I doubt if he would have really counted them as "friends" any more except in the sarcastic sense. But the most logical "friends" would have still been Adrian and his mother. After all, investigating the incident was more important than Edward's personal feelings.

53 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It is literally his job to know immortals, half immortals, rampaging death hordes and other not quite normal people.

It's his job (or technically, used to be since he was replaced by Arthur Arthur) to know about Immortals, but neither Edward nor any other human has any personal relationship with any Immortal who doesn't wish to establish a personal relationship. Only visible if they want to be, remember? And the long break between Adrian and his mother occured after Tedd was born. Edward has known Adrian at least since he was in high school, and Adrian was close enough to Edward and Noriko to become godfather to Tedd. So it doesn't seem outlandish to me that Pandora had a direct relationship with Edward during those happier times. But does Edward have a family connection with any other Immortals? Probably not, except as a descendant over who knows how many generations.

24 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's his job (or technically, used to be since he was replaced by Arthur Arthur) to know about Immortals,

It's his job NOW to be the official "Hi!  We are humans!  Any you are?".  Head of Paranormal Diplomacy.  Despite the game of the that name, Diplomacy tends towards at least acting like friends.  I suspect that he officially knows and deals with on a day to day or at least month to month basis several Immortals other than the hand full we have seen.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I've never met Edward

Don't worry. He'll get around to you. You are just a bit down the list because of 1) being immortal and 2) your rampages tend to be sedentary and rather quiet. See, Edward has to put out the more problematic fires first and since you are not rocking the boat nor likely to just up and die at any moment, he is putting you off until he has a bit more room in his schedule.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Don't worry. He'll get around to you. You are just a bit down the list because of 1) being immortal and 2) your rampages tend to be sedentary and rather quiet. See, Edward has to put out the more problematic fires first and since you are not rocking the boat nor likely to just up and die at any moment, he is putting you off until he has a bit more room in his schedule.

A grisley fate awaits you, PRT: Being crushed under an avalanche of exposition. With charts. Maybe even a Powerpoint™. 

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's quite possible Edward already knows she is

I think that if Edward knew who it was that appeared in the forest, he'd had gone directly to Adrian, but it's apparent they weren't on good terms then so Adrian likely wouldn't referred to under "some friends of mine".

Adrian hadn't seen his mother in 14 years prior to her hospital visit, if Edward had told Adrian that he suspected Adrian's mother of playing games, Adrian should have said something about it during the visit, he certainly shouldn't have been surprised by her sudden appearance, sure he hadn't seen her in 14 year, but if Edward had talked to him about the incident 2 years prior then Adrian would have known his mother was still around and causing trouble.

Agree, although note that he may still know Pandora - or ABOUT Pandora - and just didn't recognize her child form.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And the long break between Adrian and his mother occured after Tedd was born. Edward has known Adrian at least since he was in high school, and Adrian was close enough to Edward and Noriko to become godfather to Tedd. So it doesn't seem outlandish to me that Pandora had a direct relationship with Edward during those happier times.

Which doesn't mean he knows her child form.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's his job (or technically, used to be since he was replaced by Arthur Arthur) to know about Immortals,

It's his job NOW to be the official "Hi!  We are humans!  Any you are?".  Head of Paranormal Diplomacy.  Despite the game of the that name, Diplomacy tends towards at least acting like friends.  I suspect that he officially knows and deals with on a day to day or at least month to month basis several Immortals other than the hand full we have seen.

I don't think immortals are showing that often. He may be dealing with covering stuff immortals did on daily basis, but regarding actually seeing (and talking to) immortals, might be even less than monthly.

However, DGB certainly has files on lot of immortals and Edward would be knowing at least about the active ones.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Old Jerry knew about him, but we don't know if he actually knew Edward.

He knows enough to not talk about Noriko in front of people who know Tedd, but yes, that may not mean he knows Edward personally.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe Edward knew the old versions of Helen and Demetrius; the first encounter with Pandora might have occurred before Nanase and Susan went to France. If Edward had known about the French connection at that time, though, I doubt if he would have really counted them as "friends" any more except in the sarcastic sense.

This is one of the most obvious gaps: Susan apparently didn't get any therapy/counselling, but neither did Grace ... so, does it mean Nanase and Susan were quiet enough not even Edward found what happened in France?

In any case, the Magus incident was several months before the trip to France, so he couldn't know about it yet.

Nanase and Susan, at the time of the French incident, probably did not know that they could go to Edward Verres with a tale of vampires, strangely powerful beings, and magic, and be taken seriously. They would have thought that the best reaction they could hope for from any adult is "you've been reading too many fairy tales, kid", and that they might get sent to counseling intended to make them give up these fantasies.

And by the time they learned about DGB, they probably thought they had dealt with the emotional impact. (I have news for them: PTSD can, in some cases, go unrecognized for years because the specific things that would trigger it for that specific person don't happen.)

39 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Nanase and Susan, at the time of the French incident, probably did not know that they could go to Edward Verres with a tale of vampires, strangely powerful beings, and magic, and be taken seriously. They would have thought that the best reaction they could hope for from any adult is "you've been reading too many fairy tales, kid", and that they might get sent to counseling intended to make them give up these fantasies.

Susan definitely. Nanase ... hmmm ... ok, it's possible that unlike Tedd, who knew lot about his dad's work even before the comics, Nanase was not informed.

Still, she wasn't so discreet in school, it's weird that Edward didn't noticed she awakened and didn't wanted to talk with her about it. Although he might've expected her mother will do it - and she instead pretended to not notice.

(Also, he still didn't noticed Justin awakened ... he may be overworked or something.)

39 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

And by the time they learned about DGB, they probably thought they had dealt with the emotional impact. (I have news for them: PTSD can, in some cases, go unrecognized for years because the specific things that would trigger it for that specific person don't happen.)

They might also though that if they dealt with it whole time they don't need help. Nanase possibly didn't, it's obvious Susan was still influenced by it and only got better after Jerry, but she might not believe in external help in general ...

Just now, hkmaly said:
Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe Edward knew the old versions of Helen and Demetrius; the first encounter with Pandora might have occurred before Nanase and Susan went to France. If Edward had known about the French connection at that time, though, I doubt if he would have really counted them as "friends" any more except in the sarcastic sense.

This is one of the most obvious gaps: Susan apparently didn't get any therapy/counselling, but neither did Grace ... so, does it mean Nanase and Susan were quiet enough not even Edward found what happened in France?

In any case, the Magus incident was several months before the trip to France, so he couldn't know about it yet.

That's why my original theory was that Edward had asked for Helena and Demetrius' help investigating who the other Immortal is. They discovered a connection with Elliot and possibly Tedd, and somehow Nanase and/or Susan came up on their radar with Susan being in danger, and ended up getting forced to reset for some reason before they could report back to Edward.

I've talked about it at great length before but it is a sticking point that we can't assume that Helena and Demetrius' actions haven't been without a specific purpose and that they are malicious. We don't have enough info to take Jerry's stance that they lied to Susan when not even Susan, nor Jerry, knows the full story.

Just now, Don Edwards said:

(I have news for them: PTSD can, in some cases, go unrecognized for years because the specific things that would trigger it for that specific person don't happen.)

The PTSD was still there for sure, we saw it with Susan in Hammerchlorians when she was recalling the events of the trip, she refused to mention that it was her that dealt the killing blow to the vampire, and her angst induce awakening was due to finding out that one of the weapons she was given to fight with was nothing more than a cheap gag item. With Nanase it didn't show as much until this past Saturday (comic time) when she learned that the same two Immortals were apparently still stringing people into fighting vampires for them.

Oh yeah, Susan's reaction to hearing about there being vampires in Moperville was definitely a PTSD reflex.