• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Friday June 30, 2017

3 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The glove, the Gauntlet, Lord Tedd, et cetera, et cetera ... :D

Yeah, I'm thinking that Tedd can't cast spells on his own unless he has some kind of special foci to bridge the gap.

The wands and watches are catalysts, they are created to hold spells and energy for wizards and even nonawakened, heck probably anyone could use (if there's enough ambient energy or the catalyst contains enough energy, of course).

Tedd's gloves wouldn't hold the spells, Tedd has the spells, the glove just allows the transfer of the spell to the catalyst....and possibly to other people? Just a guess but Pandora did say that a Seer would have the knowledge needed to teach others, so maybe through the glove Tedd could teach Nanase how to fly again, or Elliot how to morph into sexy girls again, etc. And the Gauntlet's battle mode might actually let Tedd cast some spells as if he was a standard wizard, or maybe even more.

Sooo, not only is his magitech research something he can only do due to his seer abilities, but some devices he's working with wouldn't work for anyone except seer, just like seer is only one capable of seeing magic and he just assumed everyone can do that ...

... Grace though she can't operate the glove because she's Uryuom, but Sarah wouldn't be able either ... did she never tried? Will Tedd make her try now to doublecheck it?

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that Tedd can't cast spells on his own unless he has some kind of special foci to bridge the gap.

The wands and watches are catalysts, they are created to hold spells and energy for wizards and even nonawakened, heck probably anyone could use (if there's enough ambient energy or the catalyst contains enough energy, of course).

Tedd's gloves wouldn't hold the spells, Tedd has the spells, the glove just allows the transfer of the spell to the catalyst....and possibly to other people? Just a guess but Pandora did say that a Seer would have the knowledge needed to teach others, so maybe through the glove Tedd could teach Nanase how to fly again, or Elliot how to morph into sexy girls again, etc. And the Gauntlet's battle mode might actually let Tedd cast some spells as if he was a standard wizard, or maybe even more.

Considering Tedd was constructing the glove and the gauntlet, they probably contain enough components to convince him they can work on their own. But, maybe those components are not really necessary, while HE certainly is necessary.

I wouldn't expect the glove as-is would be capable of re-teaching Nanase how to fly, but Tedd likely will be able to make device which could. From more common stuff than MacGyver - unless MacGyver was actually also seer, we can't rule that out. He may be able to build it just from some sticks, duct tape and conviction it will work. Oh, and he will need to build it AFTER reset, of course.

And I suspect it WAS technically spell which gave him ability to see the Whale when he activated the gauntlet.

... damn. DGB must be furious they can't replicate Tedd's research. Or maybe they are not paying as close attention as I though.

24 minutes ago, WR...S said:

She can call him "Teddy" if she wants; she's his grandmother after all.

Great Fairy Godmother. Not exactly same, although I agree that it includes the privilege of calling him Teddy. She may also be actually related to him, but I still disagree with the theory he's Adrian's son.

A long time ago.  When it was revealed that the scary magic detector wand could not detect magic in Tedd.  And when it was revealed that Immortal magic could not be detected.  At that point I speculated that Tedd was a larval immortal.

I was shouted down for this thought.

Tedd might not be immortal.  We won't know that for sure until Tedd dies.  As long as Tedd's living, Tedd might be immortal.

But whether or not immortal, Tedd does share the immortal characteristic of having magic that is undetectable by mortals.

I just realized something.

Tedd has magic, and a magic mark.

If someone with a magic mark awakens, the magic mark disappears.  But the spell associated with the mark is usually included in the spell package for the newly awakened magician.  So that really doesn't change, except for the loss of the tattoo.

But Tedd already had active magic when Pandora marked him.  So I would take this as an indication that people who already have magic can get marked.  This could be a way for magic users to get specific new spells without being wizards.

And considering that glove lets Tedd put spells in watches, maybe Tedd could use that, or a similar glove, to put spells in people after the reset.  Tedd could be a Mortal who can give magic marks.

And Tedd may be a larval immortal.

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If someone with a magic mark awakens, the magic mark disappears.  But the spell associated with the mark is usually included in the spell package for the newly awakened magician.  So that really doesn't change, except for the loss of the tattoo.

But Tedd already had active magic when Pandora marked him.  So I would take this as an indication that people who already have magic can get marked.  This could be a way for magic users to get specific new spells without being wizards.

I would still considered it not confirmed it can work on normal magic user. It's possible only seers with their undetectable magic can be marked despite already being awakened.

(... until reset will make everyone non-awakened and therefore markable again ...)

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And considering that glove lets Tedd put spells in watches, maybe Tedd could use that, or a similar glove, to put spells in people after the reset.  Tedd could be a Mortal who can give magic marks.

And Tedd may be a larval immortal.

... I agree that Tedd could have ability to mark people with spells just like immortals. I still don't think it means he's immortal, larval or not.

Let us see: Power Glove, "I Have the Power", yadda yadda oy... However, there is to note that "wrong glove".

So Tedd sounds like a coach amongst players. Neat?

41 minutes ago, WR...S said:

She can call him "Teddy" if she wants; she's his grandmother after all. :P

Can he bear being called that? :P

43 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Like I said, we won't know for sure that Tedd's not immortal until Tedd dies.  Until then, Tedd might be immortal.

What is this about Tedd being immortal?  Is it something people are considering due to his unique nature and what the Space Whale said?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the fact that Tedd is confirmed to be able to learn spells and use them means that he could possess a hell of a lot of versatility when it comes to his repertoire in the future.  He hasn't seen Nanase's Guardian Form, IIRC, but this might mean he'll be able to copy and use that as well.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Like I said, we won't know for sure that Tedd's not immortal until Tedd dies.  Until then, Tedd might be immortal.

"Immortal" and "an immortal" are two very different things, as Heka will be quick to remind you.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... Grace though she can't operate the glove because she's Uryuom, but Sarah wouldn't be able either ... did she never tried? Will Tedd make her try now to doublecheck it?

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing intentional foreshadowing here now, but no indication that Sarah tried or even asked Tedd about it, I imagine Tedd would have assumed that Sarah might not have enough energy or something to use it. Or be stumped, Tedd was stumped by his ability to shrug off enchantments for a while as well, and avoided thinking about it too much because it brought on the angst.

7 hours ago, WR...S said:

She can call him "Teddy" if she wants; she's his grandmother after all. :P

Grand Godmother, not grandmother, unless it turns out Adrian is actually Tedd's father and not Edward, which I have strong reservations about, since it would change the whole dynamic between Tedd and Edward...

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering Tedd was constructing the glove and the gauntlet, they probably contain enough components to convince him they can work on their own. But, maybe those components are not really necessary, while HE certainly is necessary.

Not sure how much Stargate you might have watched, but there was a point where Jack O'neil had a crapton of Ancient knowledge uploaded into his brain and was essentially corrupting his own knowledge, but while that was happening he managed to build a device that allowed him to boost the power of the stargate to send him to the home of those that could help get the knowledge out and fix his brain. He had no idea at the time why he was building it, it was almost instinctual that the subconscious was able to peice together enough of the Ancient knowledge to build it. Tedd could have been doing something similar expect without having the risk of brain overload, he might not have known how or why the components he used worked the way they did, but it did.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing intentional foreshadowing here now, but no indication that Sarah tried or even asked Tedd about it, I imagine Tedd would have assumed that Sarah might not have enough energy or something to use it. Or be stumped, Tedd was stumped by his ability to shrug off enchantments for a while as well, and avoided thinking about it too much because it brought on the angst.

Thinking about parents being wrong brought on the angst. I'm sure he was thinking about the stuff he shouldn't be able to do, especially when he found out he is only one who can see magic. I mean, the idea that the other weird stuff was related to it is very logical.

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure how much Stargate you might have watched

Not sure either. They keep adding more, I think.

but there was a point where Jack O'neil had a crapton of Ancient knowledge uploaded into his brain and was essentially corrupting his own knowledge, but while that was happening he managed to build a device that allowed him to boost the power of the stargate to send him to the home of those that could help get the knowledge out and fix his brain. He had no idea at the time why he was building it, it was almost instinctual that the subconscious was able to peice together enough of the Ancient knowledge to build it.

Hmmm ... ok, I think I saw this one, although I don't remember it so clearly ...

Tedd could have been doing something similar expect without having the risk of brain overload, he might not have known how or why the components he used worked the way they did, but it did.

The problem is that seers were using their abilities just fine hundreds years ago without all the technology Tedd has, which suggest that any electronics he is putting in the glove is not actually needed for the functionality - that only purpose of it is to convince Tedd it will work.

So, basically opposite of what O'Neil was doing?

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The problem is that seers were using their abilities just fine hundreds years ago without all the technology Tedd has, which suggest that any electronics he is putting in the glove is not actually needed for the functionality - that only purpose of it is to convince Tedd it will work.

So, basically opposite of what O'Neil was doing?

I dunno, maybe? I mean Tedd assumed that being able to see magic like he did wasn't that rare, he believed that he was just looking at magic in action enough times to that he started seeing patterns, he made what he thought was intuitive leaps that turned out to be right but didn't equate it to some special ability until he looked at himself using it. The creation of the glove would probably have seemed like it done by intuitive leaps as well. Tedd would have spent all his time researching magic going "what if?" when in fact the answers to all that was already at his disposal.

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

One of the changes in magic could have been to make it more "friendly" with the way technology was going to develop. Or it might have been changing all along, maybe even carrying technology and lifestyles along with it, like the way in the nine months since Grace's birthday, flip phones have become smartphones, CRTs have been replaced by LCDs, and Susan and Diane's belly buttons have pretty much disappeared.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I dunno, maybe? I mean Tedd assumed that being able to see magic like he did wasn't that rare, he believed that he was just looking at magic in action enough times to that he started seeing patterns, he made what he thought was intuitive leaps that turned out to be right but didn't equate it to some special ability until he looked at himself using it. The creation of the glove would probably have seemed like it done by intuitive leaps as well. Tedd would have spent all his time researching magic going "what if?" when in fact the answers to all that was already at his disposal.

Right, the "intuitive leaps" might be involved and those would match what O'Neil was doing, but if Tedd's intuition would tell him he needs just duct tape and stick, he wouldn't believe it.

It would actually be very interesting for someone else to go over Tedd's experiments and verify what actually works (besides watches, Sarah already tested those) and what was just made work by Seer abilities.

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

One of the changes in magic could have been to make it more "friendly" with the way technology was going to develop.

You mean Tedd is already working on after-reset rules?

18 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Or it might have been changing all along, maybe even carrying technology and lifestyles along with it, like the way in the nine months since Grace's birthday, flip phones have become smartphones, CRTs have been replaced by LCDs

That was because Uryuom technologies were secretly used to speed up research, nothing to do with magic.

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

and Susan and Diane's belly buttons have pretty much disappeared.

Are you referring to the fact that in winter, they wear clothes which covers belly buttons?

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Does it say anywhere that the glove has any electronics?  It probably has some material with magical properties, or has been enchanted, or something, which could easily have been known about before electronics came into existence.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

flip phones have become smartphones

Didn't the term "smartphone" used to include flip phones (as opposed to, say, those that only could call and maybe store a few numbers), or am I misremembering?

13 minutes ago, chridd said:

Didn't the term "smartphone" used to include flip phones (as opposed to, say, those that only could call and maybe store a few numbers), or am I misremembering?

No, flip phones were dumb phones. They were certainly an improvement on the brick phone. Watch the first Lethal Weapon movie to see what cellphones were like in the mid-eighties.

Flip phones could text, though; old cell phones couldn't text.  Mine could access the Internet in theory, although we hadn't bought that service and it would've been through a Lynx-like interface I think...

Flip phones could text, but not well. No video, no games, no Google maps, no music, no Facebook. In short, all the things that make smartphones so much more useful and fun.

Anyway, I started this thread to poke fun at how EGS has followed the times even though it's supposed to have taken place for the most part in less than a year. Try reading through the 87th precinct books that started in 1952 and finished in 2005. I remember Ed McBain (a.k.a Evan Hunter, a.k.a Salvatore Lombino) actually made fun of how much the world around his cast of characters had changed in one of these novels.

7 hours ago, chridd said:

Does it say anywhere that the glove has any electronics?  It probably has some material with magical properties, or has been enchanted, or something, which could easily have been known about before electronics came into existence.

Well, only thing we know about the glove is that it's not the gauntlet, and while the gauntlet definitely looks like technology, we don't have confirmed it contains electronics either. Still, Tedd works on technology and interfaces with computer ; I would consider noteworthy if he would somewhere between working on TF gun and now STOPPED using electronics.

(Obviously, glove HAVING electronics doesn't mean it NEEDS it, which is what I'm speaking about ; and yes, there may be some other component which IS needed - possibly some crystal, those were known for long time :) - so that "duct tape and stick" theory may not be entirely correct.)

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Anyway, I started this thread to poke fun at how EGS has followed the times even though it's supposed to have taken place for the most part in less than a year. Try reading through the 87th precinct books that started in 1952 and finished in 2005. I remember Ed McBain (a.k.a Evan Hunter, a.k.a Salvatore Lombino) actually made fun of how much the world around his cast of characters had changed in one of these novels.

Yeah .... (TV tropes warning).

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Smartphones are basically pocket PCs these days.

Smartphones are closer to current PCs than current PCs to original IBM PC. MUCH closer in some regards, especially if you look at amount of memory.