• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Story: Monday, July 3rd, 2017

Soo...hkmaly and I were both not quite right there? I mean, the glove is storing all the parameters of the spell, like the different forms to be transfered to the wand, but Tedd's supplying the actual spells.

Also with the implication that Seers are rare enough that Edward didn't know that Tedd was one, but wands are common among wizards, where does Edward and the agents of DGB or the so called black market get their wands, I assumed they had someone make them.

This ability has to be more common than Seers are, it wouldn't make sense for Seers to be the only ones capable of making wands and have Tedd's parents or Adrian someone else in DGB not know about them.

Edit: Someone on Discord asked Dan if Seers were the only source of wands and Dan said that it's safe to assumed they're not. So yeah other wizards had the ability to make wands and Seers would do more than that.

So, he is a wandsmith. A supplier. Still liked Tedd more as a watchmaker per se, but, still, neato.

And I have this non-scientific mood for Bacon and BBQ.

50 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

That last speech balloon... SO yes.

Yes: If it works on first try it's really suspicious. Usually it means you didn't noticed the bugs.

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Soo...hkmaly and I were both not quite right there? I mean, the glove is storing all the parameters of the spell, like the different forms to be transfered to the wand, but Tedd's supplying the actual spells.

Well ... likely I was both wrong and right. Wrong, because the device does something more than just convincing Tedd it works. Right, because he could still turn the watches into wand with sticks and duct tape, only it would be harder to remember all parameters.

... actually, this is not just training wheels. Sure, if he does things like dynamic height morphs (BTW, I think he needs to observe Rhoda's spells - or Ellens resize beam with clothes resize option - to get the dynamic height morphs right; he likely based them on Elliot's spell but those probably resize too manually) but I wouldn't be surprised if getting clone form into wand without computer help would be almost impossible - too many parameters.

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also with the implication that Seers are rare enough that Edward didn't know that Tedd was one, but wands are common among wizards, where does Edward and the agents of DGB or the so called black market get their wands, I assumed they had someone make them.

This ability has to be more common than Seers are, it wouldn't make sense for Seers to be the only ones capable of making wands and have Tedd's parents or Adrian someone else in DGB not know about them.

Edit: Someone on Discord asked Dan if Seers were the only source of wands and Dan said that it's safe to assumed they're not. So yeah other wizards had the ability to make wands and Seers would do more than that.

I'm actually surprised Seers can't be other type of wizard. But yes: Seer is a type of wizard, who on top of that has the ability to see and understand magic, even after reset. Other wand makers don't get the insight - or, maybe, get some but not as many details as Tedd.

Question: will the glove works just for Tedd, just for seers (which is what Pandora said) or for any wand maker? Can wand makers parametrize spells at all or are they limited to copy them verbatim? (Would match the difference between Uryuoms and Grace: with Lespuko genes, Grace can mix&match forms.)

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Question: will the glove works just for Tedd, just for seers (which is what Pandora said) or for any wand maker? Can wand makers parametrize spells at all or are they limited to copy them verbatim? (Would match the difference between Uryuoms and Grace: with Lespuko genes, Grace can mix&match forms.)

If the glove gives Tedd more control over how the spell he infuses a wand with works, then he probably has an advantage over other wizards who can make wands.

Also would it be safe to assume that wands and other magic artifact would stop working if Magic changed? Normal wizards who were able to make wands would lose the ability to make wands, but Tedd can still make them. People can build their magic power and eventually awaken from using wands in the current system, maybe that doesn't change and wands that Seers make can restart the process of awakening for people.

Don't forget that Seers have a potential second function, one that they can't know about ahead of time without becoming ineligible to exercise that second, very, very important function. We're not sure that Heka even told Pandora what that secret second purpose is, but whether he did, or Pandora figured it out herself being perhaps the smartest Immortal of all, Pandora isn't going to tell Tedd. That second purpose is likely why Voltaire is so focused on Tedd.

Now for a leap into amazing crackpot plot theory. So far no one has said that Tedd's insight into magic is restricted to human magic. Tedd might be able to learn Immortal spells. If Tedd can do that, he can make wands that can give Immortal spells to anyone. Edward did say at one point that there are human wizards who can go toe-to-toe with Immortals. And if Edward and Cranium are wizards themselves, why do they both used wands, particularly when confronting Abraham in Sister II?

This could even be the real reason that Edward lost Noriko. Edward is all about keeping secret what should be kept secret, and if he knows that second purpose, he wouldn't tell Tedd or anyone who might tell Tedd about if he wanted Tedd to remain eligible.

This kind of fits the fact that neither Arthur J. Arthur nor Assistant Director Liefeld haven't ever mentioned Tedd in canon. Edward knows what they did to Agent Cranium, and he wouldn't want them to do their thing with his only child.

23 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Now for a leap into amazing crackpot plot theory. So far no one has said that Tedd's insight into magic is restricted to human magic. Tedd might be able to learn Immortal spells. If Tedd can do that, he can make wands that can give Immortal spells to anyone. Edward did say at one point that there are human wizards who can go toe-to-toe with Immortals. And if Edward and Cranium are wizards themselves, why do they both used wands, particularly when confronting Abraham in Sister II?

I'm not sure if Immortal spells are any different from Humans, I imagine that serenity spell that Jerry used to bring Susan out of her angst induced awakening could be learned by any wizard or mage.

The only possible connection I can see Tedd having with Immortals (aside from ancestry) would be that his magic potential is undetectable like Immortals magic potential is.

Some people have already thought that maybe Tedd is destined to be a brand new Immortal, but considering ancestry, all seers would have an Immortal link which could mean they automatically tap into Immortal magic, magic that is apparently immune to the WoM's changes. Tedd would still be mortal, and wouldn't be able to shift between realities or use magic like they do, but if magic changing is like the WoM dropping a magic EMP bomb on everyone, Tedd would be shielded against it.

I think Ted might need a hug, but I don't hug people who believe in stuff working the first try. Blasphemers they are! Of course I wouldn't be cruel enough to say it to his phase, he is suffering enough and has realized his sin.

5 minutes ago, Garrulous said:

I think Ted might need a hug, but I don't hug people who believe in stuff working the first try. Blasphemers they are! Of course I wouldn't be cruel enough to say it to his phase, he is suffering enough and has realized his sin.

Guilty of violating Commander Scott's rule: Never admit something was easy for you.

Love your Gravatar.

Perhaps normal wand-makers are limited to making wands with their spells, and it's being a wizard wand-maker that makes Tedd unique?  I could see having to either have single-use wands, or having several different wand-makers add their enchantment to a given wand (perhaps with more risk of unfortunate interactions the more spells you put on it) in order to get a multi-purpose wand.  What have we seen wands do, other than blast people?  We need a list, of who used a wand to achieve what effect....

It's also possible a wizard can use the stored energy in a wand to cast the wizard's own spells without depleting their own energy, or for enough of a boost to be able to cast a spell normally beyond their personal power store.  That might explain some of the times Edward, for example, has used a wand.  Hmmm.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

If the glove gives Tedd more control over how the spell he infuses a wand with works, then he probably has an advantage over other wizards who can make wands.

Well, we can't rule out other seers are developing similar stuff :) Which is why I would consider it important question.

Also would it be safe to assume that wands and other magic artifact would stop working if Magic changed? Normal wizards who were able to make wands would lose the ability to make wands, but Tedd can still make them. People can build their magic power and eventually awaken from using wands in the current system, maybe that doesn't change and wands that Seers make can restart the process of awakening for people.

I would expect that, yes. And after reset, there may be no awakening. But, it would likely be one way to restart the magic.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And if Edward and Cranium are wizards themselves, why do they both used wands, particularly when confronting Abraham in Sister II?

They are standard issue. Cranium might not be wizard and Edward and Agent Wolf might decide to not bother learning the spells themselves when they can get them on wand.

This could even be the real reason that Edward lost Noriko. Edward is all about keeping secret what should be kept secret, and if he knows that second purpose, he wouldn't tell Tedd or anyone who might tell Tedd about if he wanted Tedd to remain eligible.

If he would know Tedd is Seer, he would AT LEAST say he's wand maker and that the detection wand is broken.

(Of course, it IS possible he found out after Noriko left. But I'm not buying he lost Noriko due to keeping too many secrets from her.)

This kind of fits the fact that neither Arthur J. Arthur nor Assistant Director Liefeld haven't ever mentioned Tedd in canon. Edward knows what they did to Agent Cranium, and he wouldn't want them to do their thing with his only child.

Because agent Cranium looks depressed and sad and ... actually wait, she looks pretty happy with her life and with agent Wolf. If she's not called from party to case, at least.

It may be different now, but when Edward was the director, I don't think he would have any problem having Tedd as agent. Of course, after finishing university.

Some people have already thought that maybe Tedd is destined to be a brand new Immortal, but considering ancestry, all seers would have an Immortal link which could mean they automatically tap into Immortal magic, magic that is apparently immune to the WoM's changes. Tedd would still be mortal, and wouldn't be able to shift between realities or use magic like they do, but if magic changing is like the WoM dropping a magic EMP bomb on everyone, Tedd would be shielded against it.

I'm bad at remembering who said what ... is anyone else than Tom Sewell liking that "Tedd is new immortal" theory?

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm bad at remembering who said what ... is anyone else than Tom Sewell liking that "Tedd is new immortal" theory?

I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned on Discord as well. Unless that was Tom as well, lol.

Discord is actually bad at looking for something someone had said, whenever a new comic page is released, there may be like 30 posts on discord about it when I wake up in the morning, and there was one day when I got back from work and there was over 150 posts.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Tom Sewell is not liking that "Tedd is new immortal" theory. I wouldn't rule out that immortal beings can be born as humans in EGS, but capital-I immortals seems a stretch. Maybe "unaging" to use a GURPS trope (which would be part of Adrian's GURPS write-up), but Immortals in EGS are more like small-g gods. If you really like Immortal characters, I would suggest Wapsi Square.

22 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tom Sewell is not liking that "Tedd is new immortal" theory. I wouldn't rule out that immortal beings can be born as humans in EGS, but capital-I immortals seems a stretch. Maybe "unaging" to use a GURPS trope (which would be part of Adrian's GURPS write-up), but Immortals in EGS are more like small-g gods.

Soo ... WHO was it?

Actually they are fairies but that's almost same. Vol1480.jpg

... actually, as you see, fairies in EGS are weak compared to other fairies :)

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Interesting, the whole "adding rules to themselves..." bit seems like it would fit how EGS Fairies came to be, with the "Guide and empower" rule, and then on the other half of the world, Ancient's can't lie, another rule.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Interesting, the whole "adding rules to themselves..." bit seems like it would fit how EGS Fairies came to be, with the "Guide and empower" rule, and then on the other half of the world, Ancient's can't lie, another rule.

Yeah ... maybe EGS fairies are fairies which little overdid it with those self-imposed limits and as a result are now trapped in EGS.

If Edward is correct in saying that Immortals have started wars for fun, the rules aren't that restrictive. That makes it sound like the human world is more of an arena than a sandbox.  If it were our world, I could see one advantage to us: the Immortals won't let an all-out nuclear war happen because it could kill off all their human gladiators and leave no breeding stock.

I wonder if Dan has read many Xanth books. If he has, we might eventually meet some higher-level Immortals something like the Demons of Xanth, godlike beings that amuse themselves with bets on what humans and other lesser beings will do and whether they will succeed in arbitrary quests.

14 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Edward is correct in saying that Immortals have started wars for fun, the rules aren't that restrictive.

Well, I think "empower and guide" can start wars just fine. They only need to empower and guide the correct people.  Joan of Arc comes into mind ... or, well, there is one war which supposedly started by three immortal beings who let human decide which one of them is the fairest and the winner then guided him to some girl.

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That makes it sound like the human world is more of an arena than a sandbox.

If your sandbox game can't do war, don't blame the concept, blame the game.

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If it were our world, I could see one advantage to us: the Immortals won't let an all-out nuclear war happen because it could kill off all their human gladiators and leave no breeding stock.

Unless they have special agreement in place for such case, it might happen as escalation which surprised them and they weren't able to stop it without breaking rules in time.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Joan of Arc comes into mind

Jeanne d'Arc heard voices, or said she did. Now, schizophrenia comes to mind (I've dated three schizophrenics), but the only Immortal we've seen do that is Voltaire, and he needed an amulet to do it.

Actually there is a very-well established magical race that are said to speak invisibly to mortals: Djinn. But the only genie connected with EGS so far is Jean Nessman, and only in a cameo by Grace in her webcomic, I Dream of a Jeanie BottleAnd at least so far, none of the genies in Bottle have done the voices-in-your-head thing.

I was among those who suggested that Tedd could be an immortal a long time ago.

Reasoning?  Immortal magic can not be detected.  Edward's scary magic detector wand does not detect magic in Tedd.  Tedd does have magic, just not the usual spells.

Specifically, I called him a "Larval Immortal".

And until we see Tedd die, I will continue to contend that Tedd might be immortal.