• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Loudmouth's Journey Inside

Uh-oh.

Two doses of probiotic.

Two Loudmouth barfs. We think. (One was witnessed, the other wasn't.)

If he does it again, we'll be forced to stop the probiotic to stop the barfing. We can't have it making him sick.

Damn. I had high hopes for this. Still do. Please, just be a fluke ...

EDIT: okay, so it was just one Loudmouth barf. He gets two more chances.

This one could go either here or in the Annoying thread. I'm trying to put together a video of Loudmouth and Baker lounging on the hammocks. I'm using Corel's VideoStudio Ultimate 10. I've got the opening music in and the opening titles, and I've even put in the video itself. The problem is that the video is at the wrong place, and NOTHING logical will make that video slide to its proper location. I even get a + cursor when I hover over the video clip, but clicking and dragging just turns the damned track pink and does no good.

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH

I'm 100% unfamiliar with video-editing software (have done some sound-editing, many years ago, and not much of it).

Is deleting the video from the project, and re-inserting it, helpful?

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm 100% unfamiliar with video-editing software (have done some sound-editing, many years ago, and not much of it).

Is deleting the video from the project, and re-inserting it, helpful?

It''s probably going to be necessary. I have a feeling I'm going to have to put in a placeholder JPG and then plonk in the video afterward.

No barf from Loudmouth that we know of yet tonight, although he did leave behind a very smelly cigar in the litter box. Here's hoping that he doesn't barf ... and that the probiotic starts working soon!!!

Good: Someone ate the cat grass!

Questionable: It wasn't Loudmouth.

I witnessed Baker barfing this morning. There were bright green leaves in the outcome. He hadn't even processed them.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the grass is growing, seeing as how the planter only gets afternoon sun.

Loudmouth is spending more time out of the back end of the house and in the "family" end. He's having a bit of a problem with people touching him, though. It might be due to anxiety over sharing Baker's space. I'm not sure. Baker's backing off, at least.

Mrs. Prof decided to put a larger litter box in the bathtub, with an unbelievable result: Loudmouth is covering some of his poops! Not all, but some. He still smells to high heaven when he doesn't cover, but we may be onto something here. Now, if we could just get him to pee in the damned box ...

Mrs. Prof hasn't been taking too many diverse pictures of Loudmouth lately, so here's a picture of Baker in petting heaven:

large.Baker_20171023_petting01a.jpg

If you'll look at the tubular object in the background, that's what we call our SAFER Barrier: our Somewhat Adequate Feline Energy Reduction Barrier. Not quite as effective as the SAFER Barrier that IndyCar invented and developed, but it helps avoid damage to cats and to CD/DVD/Blu-ray shelves.

Update on the FortiFlora: it seems to be helping with Loudmouth's throwing up. He's barfed a couple of times, but not on the almost every-other-day schedule he was on. He's put on a noticeable amount of weight as well! I don't know if this is due to the FortiFlora or him just being a pig. He might be getting piggy due to the FortiFlora.

One thing it's not doing anything for is Loudmouth's stinky poop. Good lord, that cat can gas an entire regiment. He wasn't used to covering up his poop, but within the last week he's started covering it. I don't know how he learned: maybe Baker taught him. Is that a thing cats do?

Now that things are back under control, I don't know whether we should continue the FortiFlora or let his own stomach take over. Suggestions?

14 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Update on the FortiFlora: it seems to be helping with Loudmouth's throwing up. He's barfed a couple of times, but not on the almost every-other-day schedule he was on. He's put on a noticeable amount of weight as well! I don't know if this is due to the FortiFlora or him just being a pig. He might be getting piggy due to the FortiFlora.

If you google "cat body condition score" you should be able to find some charts that show how a cat should be shaped and how to tell if they're getting too heavy or too light.

One thing it's not doing anything for is Loudmouth's stinky poop. Good lord, that cat can gas an entire regiment. He wasn't used to covering up his poop, but within the last week he's started covering it. I don't know how he learned: maybe Baker taught him. Is that a thing cats do?

They can indeed learn to cover from other cats.  Most cats learn from their momma.

The stinky poop may indicate a dietary intolerance.  You can try switching the main ingredients, like from a chicken and rice to a lamb and barley to a duck and green pea -- that last is one of the combos in the prescription limited ingredient diets -- to see in the character and stink level of the stool varies.  Give him a week or more on each one until you find one he can tolerate better, or until you determine that it doesn't make any difference.  Just be wary of there being other ingredients further down the label....switching from chicken and rice to lamb and barley doesn't count if the lamb and barley also has chicken fat and chicken liver, or if they both have beef byproducts.  ;-)

Now that things are back under control, I don't know whether we should continue the FortiFlora or let his own stomach take over. Suggestions?

If you're going to try different diets, then I'd keep him on it.  If you want to stick to what he's on now, then you could try gradually reducing the FortiFlora and see if he starts showing signs again or not.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

They can indeed learn to cover from other cats.

Well, he forgot tonight. Foul and utterly rancid, Mrs. Prof described it.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

The stinky poop may indicate a dietary intolerance.  You can try switching the main ingredients, like from a chicken and rice to a lamb and barley to a duck and green pea -- that last is one of the combos in the prescription limited ingredient diets -- to see in the character and stink level of the stool varies.  Give him a week or more on each one until you find one he can tolerate better, or until you determine that it doesn't make any difference.

We looked into that and discussed your suggestion, and unfortunately it's not going to be economically or practically feasible. The biggest problem is that Loudmouth eats from Baker's dishes, even though his own dishes halfway across the house. There's just no way we can police the situation 24/7. Also, we can't switch away from his hairball formula food. Sigh. I don't see a way out of the mustard gas situation.

Baker's not the smartest cat on Earth. Give him a toy puzzle with treats in it so he has to work to get the treats out? Oh, he figures out how to get the treats, sure enough. The only problem is that he figures it out so many times that he barfs up the excess treats.

Stupid cat.