• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

19 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Best of luck!  Hope you get him to the vet and the problem is easily and cheaply fixed!

Thank you, but he's already been fixed. Oh, you mean FIXED fixed. Okay. :P

Mrs. Prof has taken him to the vet this morning. He seems to be feeling a lot better, if the struggle he put up getting put into his carrier is any indication. Mrs. Prof got some Pedialite (sp?) into him when she got home yesterday, by which time he'd run out of things to barf/poop. After a couple of syringes of Pedialite, she gave him some soft food/Pedialite mix. He nibbled a bit of it and didn't barf it up, so job well done there.

Still no idea what caused it, even after double-checking everything.

Mrs. Prof and cat are back from the vet. For safety's sake, we're going to have to keep him locked in our bedroom until the A/C is replaced. He'll have food, water, and a litter box while back there.

Diagnosis from the vet: gastrointestinal upset with a 102.8 degree fever. No obvious cause. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot and a can of prescription food. She also gave him a prescription for a liquid antibiotic (Flagyl) that we have to start giving him tomorrow.

Just now, mlooney said:

The dishwasher is summoning elder gods again.  Didn't do it last I ran it, but yeah, doing today.

Look, couldn't you put an Elder Sign on that thing? It's starting to make me seriously concerned.

11 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Look, couldn't you put an Elder Sign on that thing? It's starting to make me seriously concerned.

It only tries about 1 out of 3 times, and it hasn't done any thing bad yet.

Well, other than that heat alert we had last week.  And that was just a bit early, it's not like we don't hold the hottest month in the USA record or any thing.

It's 7:45 in the morning.  I'm fully rested, awake and alert, with out taking any of my "make me alert" drugs (Adderall).  Granted I've had a fairly large amount of caffeine this morning, but this isn't that.  This is not normal for me.  I suspect that my sleep aid (Restoril AKA temazepam) is doing what it's supposed to.  Just need to take it a little later at night.  Maybe. Of course this puts me back on the "you don't get to drink alcohol" list, but that's not really all that important. I do miss hard cider, but that's about it.

Meh, I never got what's the big deal about alcohol anyway. Getting close to forty years old soon, and I hardly ever touch the stuff outside of the Eucharist. Not because I have any moral thing against alcohol, mind you--I've just never felt any urge to drink it.

14 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Meh, I never got what's the big deal about alcohol anyway. Getting close to forty years old soon, and I hardly ever touch the stuff outside of the Eucharist. Not because I have any moral thing against alcohol, mind you--I've just never felt any urge to drink it.

Even when my drugs allow me to drink alcohol I have maybe one drink every three months or so.  Normally a craft stout or a cider.  I am so over IPA hops bombs. There was a time I liked IPA, but that was before the hops arms race started.

5 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Beer and ale always tasted universally foul to me, in an "I'd find drinking raw sewage more pleasant" way.

I feel the same way about most things stronger than wine and most dry red wines.

Just about everything with alcohol in it tastes nasty to me, always has.  It would be a great scam if it weren't true, because half the time when I tell people about this, they immediately recommend something which they claim tastes great and which you can't taste the alcohol in at all; many go so far as to order whatever it is and wait for me to drink it and declare them right.  Instead, I end up taking a little sip and then making a horrible grimace.  Luckily, I seem to be able to have a good time without artificial mood alterations. :-)

Beer is not my first choice, although I have developed certain favorites (Samuel Adams Octoberfest (no laughing, please)). I very much prefer hard cider, though. Angry Orchard cider is a shock to the system the first time you taste it, but it quickly grows on you. Delicious. I want to try Strongbow and Stella Artois Cidre before I declare Angry Orchard my absolute favorite, though.

Hard liquor? I'd love to have more exposure to the good single malts, but I can't afford them. The Glenlivet is the best I've been able to afford to taste. I like vodka if it's properly chilled (to the point of visible viscosity) and hasn't had all of the flavor distilled out of it. I don't like straight bourbon, but I like rye. Rum can be good, although one of my worst hangovers came after accidentally drinking too much 151 proof Bacardi (we're talking a 3-day hangover here—never again). I'm picky about tequila (must be Herradura). I'll go for the occasional mixed drink (whiskey sour, Manhattan (NOT ON THE ROCKS, DAMN IT), margarita). I also like some of the odder straight drinks, like Hpnotiq.

One of these days I want to experience absinthe, prepared according to tradition (with the ice water drip over a sugar cube).

Wine? Forget dry. Bleaugh. Give me a Riesling, a sweet red, Ice Wine, or the Sauternes. I also like sweet vermouth on its own.

However, I'll admit that I've always been a big fan of liqueurs. Chambord, Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cacao (makes for a good mixed drink called a Grasshopper), Cointreau, and so on. So it's not manly. Bite me. I like what I like. :bdaybiggrin:

If you're ever in the Chicago area on the weekend before Halloween, I'll be happy to try to get you into Pretentious Drinking!  A dozen or more tables full of different kinds of booze, and you can try a little taste of your choice of them.

As far as beer goes, most of them are kinda 'meh', save for a few different reds. The flavor does not appeal, and they're not nearly strong enough for my tastes. Gimmie my scotch, Preferably 12 or 15 year old Highland Park.

9 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ah yes, scotch so old that they advertise it by saying "this is your grandfather's scotch".

I once saw Scotch advertised that had matured for sixty years. The prices started at around ten thousand dollars a bottle.

On 7/9/2016 at 11:10 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

However, I'll admit that I've always been a big fan of liqueurs. Chambord, Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cacao (makes for a good mixed drink called a Grasshopper), Cointreau, and so on. So it's not manly. Bite me. I like what I like. :bdaybiggrin:

Ever have Sheridans Coffee Liqueur?

41xWBFci3XL._AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg

It's tricky to get it to layer with the cream on top properly but it's still a good shot liqueur IMO.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ever have Sheridans Coffee Liqueur?

41xWBFci3XL._AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg

It's tricky to get it to layer with the cream on top properly but it's still a good shot liqueur IMO.

Never tried that. Sounds interesting.

So, I was in bed, on that fine edge between awake and asleep. Now, half-formed dreams in this state, you can't be sure if you're awake or not, so you don't know if they're real or not. Especially when the dream is only sound and it's a real thing that could happen.

What I "heard" is Mom down the hall, maybe outside, sounding sad and distressed and shocked, crying out the name of one of cats, saying he's been killed by something (could've sworn it was the name of our dog, who would never do that; a car is more believable). So I got up, put on pants, walked down the hall, walked faster, walked to the door, heart rate getting faster what if it was real oh my god did something happen...

He was just resting near the door, clearly alive. Mom wasn't around; I'd just been hearing things.

I picked him up and hugged him for like half a minute.

God, brain, don't scare me like that!

I am going to be "upgrading" not one, not two, but three PCs to Windows 10 on Sunday. I will have help from my son, but I'm still not looking forward to the task. All of the systems will have their hard drives imaged by the end of the day today, in the event that I wind up with three bricked systems.

Two of the systems have multiple hard drives. To avoid having Win10 install itself on the wrong drive, we'll be unplugging the non-OS drives until after the upgrades are complete. It may be overkill, but I've heard stories ... :danshiftyeyes:

As an appetizer, I'll be upgrading my seven-year-old laptop (HP G61-321NR) tonight. It's getting imaged right now.

The only bright spot in all of this is that my new Win10 laptop (Gigabyte P55wv5) seems to be the fastest system in the house at the moment. Don't know if Win10 has anything to do with that, or if it's the combination of the i7-6700HQ CPU plus the NVMe OS drive. Still, one has to hope.

Multiple police officers with guns drawn at the gates to the apartment complex.   about 350 meters north of me, but I'm staying inside any.  Going to check the local news.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Multiple police officers with guns drawn at the gates to the apartment complex.   about 350 meters north of me, but I'm staying inside any.  Going to check the local news.

If it's still going on, staying inside is smart. Also, do NOT peek from behind the curtains - if you move them at all, open them wide and stand clearly visible. You don't want nervous cops with guns in their hands to become even more nervous about YOU.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Man, if that doesn't fit the topic of this thread, I don't know anything that does. Stay safe.