• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If it's still going on, staying inside is smart. Also, do NOT peek from behind the curtains - if you move them at all, open them wide and stand clearly visible. You don't want nervous cops with guns in their hands to become even more nervous about YOU.

They could not see me any way.  My brother called me as he was leaving the complex.  They briefly stopped him from leaving, sorta looked in his back seat then waved him by.

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Man, if that doesn't fit the topic of this thread, I don't know anything that does. Stay safe.

And I still have no idea what it was about.

I'm having a "pre oh crap" oh crap moment.

I just noticed that I didn't get my email saying I would be getting my disability deposit for this month.

53 minutes before I know one way or the other.

[edit]

Panic over.  The over the phone systems says I'm getting my deposit.  18 minutes and counting :P

45 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Panic over.  The over the phone systems says I'm getting my deposit.  18 minutes and counting :P

Good. I hate it when some arse in the bureaucracy screws up or tries to screw you over. Because obviously when you are on disability you actually have a ton of cash and want to milk the system. Grrrr.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Good. I hate it when some arse in the bureaucracy screws up or tries to screw you over. Because obviously when you are on disability you actually have a ton of cash and want to milk the system. Grrrr.

I suspect this was more a case of some one with a bad case of 318.2 running an email system.

Just Google the number.

Just now, mlooney said:

I suspect this was more a case of some one with a bad case of 318.2 running an email system.

Just Google the number.

This is somehow not an improvement. No matter how incompetence rears its ugly head, it never fails to annoy me.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

This is somehow not an improvement. No matter how incompetence rears its ugly head, it never fails to annoy me.

Doesn't matter now, I has the monies!  :lol:

Now to pay the bills. :mad:

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just Google the number.

Ah got it.

9 CFR 318.2 Reinspection, retention, and disposal of meat and poultry products at official establishments.

You're saying they are turkeys.

28 minutes ago, partner555 said:

You know, this has been a concern of mine for a while. The EGS section is the only real active part of the 910CMX forums. Is this concerning?

Grrl Power has it's own comment section on each page for people's reactions, if it didn't I'd imagine their subgroup on the forums would be about as active as EGS, the other comics I'm unsure of though but if they have similar comment sections then most people might just stick to those for convenience.

It appears that most of the comics whose 910Comics forum are quiet are ones that have on-site comments. Dan has said that he has refrained from doing so because he does not want to moderate the discussions himself. The EGS forum here has flourished due to having excellent moderation and a set of users who respect the moderator and generally abide by his judgements.

I prefer off-site forums because they make ongoing discussion easier.

(There's at least one webcomic that allows on-the-same-page comments - which disappear or become inaccessible as soon as there's a newer page.)

I'm getting video memory "screen hash" at times, when Firefox changes screens, for example.  That can point to a video system about to crap out.  I am less than thrilled about that idea right now.   Could also be a problem with Firefox, which, TBH, is slightly more likely.  Either way the pink video hash is Not A Good Thing.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

I seriously want to use the "Mary Sue Litmus Test" in writing the example NPC in "Edge of Imperial Space."  Not to avoid it, but to make a Mary Sue.

A friend of mine and I did that a long time ago back in the early 80s. We were having fun with the very first version of Traveller at the time. We'd made a simple computer program in Basic that allowed you to create characters according to the character generation process in the rules. One day my friend said, "Let's make the most powerful character ever." And we set the function that rolled 2D6 during character creation to roll twelve every time.

It worked beautifully. Our Super-Character got amazing stats, got promotions every time, received all the best benefits and never failed an aging roll. Anagathics? Ha! He laughed scornfully at those. His skills soared to superhuman levels and soon he was the supreme commander of the entire Spinward Marches Naval Forces.

There was just one little problem. Rolling 12 on re-enlistment meant a mandatory extra term of service. Our Super-Character was so good that the Navy didn't want to let him go. He could never, ever, ever hope to muster out.

We stopped the program when he'd celebrated his 146th birthday. There didn't seem much point after that, all that was happening was that his already godlike skills were getting even better.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

There was just one little problem. Rolling 12 on re-enlistment meant a mandatory extra term of service. Our Super-Character was so good that the Navy didn't want to let him go. He could never, ever, ever hope to muster out.

So I'm guessing that he was the Davy who was still in the Navy and probably would be for life?

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So I'm guessing that he was the Davy who was still in the Navy and probably would be for life?

With his automatic 12s on all aging rolls, it would be for the rest of the Navy's existence. Immortality will only take you so far if you are locked in the same place.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

With his automatic 12s on all aging rolls, it would be for the rest of the Navy's existence. Immortality will only take you so far if you are locked in the same place.

Sounds more like you created the God-Emporer of Mankind. You didn't consider trying to have him just take full control of the Navy and conquer the universe?

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

My dishwasher is chanting again.  Can't quite make out what it's saying but it's not normal dishwasher sounds.

...crap. Look, it may have it in for your HVAC. Keep a careful eye on it, you do NOT want a household appliances feud going on in your home. If they start competitive summonings, well, these can get out of hand really really fast.

Less worried and more squicked, shots in the eye. I have concerns in regards to sharp objects in general and anything which is so close to my face that I can't around it.

The number of websites, to include Google, that knows it's my birthday and are sending me messages.  Might want to generate a secondary persona for on line use, but I suspect it's to late to do that now.

My philosophy is "why do I want or need for this website to know my birth date?" And if I don't have a really good answer, they don't get it.

What's mildly annoying and confusing: in the state of Washington it has been determined that the birth dates of driver's-license holders are confidential information and to be redacted from responses to FOIA requests, but driver's license numbers are public information - and the birth date is encoded in the driver's license number, with the code also publicly available, so anyone who has your Washington driver's-license number can easily determine your birth date.