• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

Fascinating. AFAIK in California (my state), the license number contains no information about the driver beyond describing what types of vehicles the holder is permitted to operate and under what conditions.

In Florida as well as a number of other states there is formula where most of you info is encoded.

John Q Public Male Born Jan 1, 1999 would be P142-475-99-001-0 unless there was another Male John P or Q with the same Soundex code for their last name and then the last number would start counting up

That licence number would read First Name JOHN Middle Initial P or Q Last Name(s) PEOPLES, PEEBLES, PEEPLES, PAVLIK, PAVELKA, POPLAWSKI, PAVLICK, PAVLAK, PAVLICEK, PAVELICH Birthdate Month: 1   Day: 1  Year: 1999 Sex: Male

http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/dl_us_shared.html

http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/soundex.html

To celebrate the centennial of being ripped away from Denmark and annexed by the United States, the US Virgin Islands will be offering $300 spending credits to visitors in 2017.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/us-virgin-islands-offering-dollar300-spending-credits-to-visitors-in-2017/ar-BBxIpyJ?li=BBnbklE&ocid=wispr

It is almost as if they were inviting a Viking army to invade while disguised as tourists.  And then giving the invaders a bonus just for showing up.

Remember, the US Virgin Islands are an Unincorporated and organized territory of the United States.  The local politicians have never been able to agree with the US Congress on a territorial constitution.  I'm not sure if it is some group in the Islands or in Washington that is attempting to keep the Virgin Islands out of the US.

(pre-typed three hours ago. I have since moved on to "annoyed")

A friend of the family runs a bridal shop nearby. Mom and my grandma used to work there, and the owner is a friend of the family as a result. She's setting things in motion to expand her business to a global market, having just recently set up the online store. And she needed someone reliable and with ambition to run it. And she thought of me. So she called me in and asked me.

And I hemmed and hawwed about it. I know my own faults all too well. I know I have motivation issues. I know I have self-confidence issues. I know I have issues with talking to strangers over the phone. I know I'm not good with talking to people I don't know in general. I also know I'm painfully used to not having to do much; I've been out of school since 2012, so suddenly being asked to run the online store is a big deal.

But I ultimately decided, 'It's worth a shot.' I decided this might be the thing that helps me out of my issues. So I said yes. I go in for training tomorrow, I'll start with simple jobs of putting pictures and descriptions on the website and Facebook and stuff for the prom rush, and I'll work up from there.

...Oh God, I don't think I can do this. It's like learning how to swim by being thrown in the deep end. Of the ocean. I'm nervous as f[TWEET]! I just know I'm gonna mess up. I don't wanna let her down; she has more faith in me than I do in myself, and I'm afraid I'm gonna let her down. That I'm not...not good enough. Not for this.

Mom just gave me a little pep talk. I don't know if it helped. God, I don't know if I can do this.

(three hours later, in the present)

And now I just learned we've been evicted. THANKS A LOT, NAN, YOU F[TWEET]ING A[TWEET]HOLE. Some family YOU are!

The cluster of low level migraines I have had over the last ten or so days.  Each has responded well to my standard low or mid level analgesics, but I have been spending way too much time in postdrone than I should.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

The cluster of low level migraines I have had over the last ten or so days.  Each has responded well to my standard low or mid level analgesics, but I have been spending way too much time in postdrone than I should.

You are unfortunately not alone. My wife has also had to deal with a series of migraines. I am wondering if it may be a combination of the weather and sheer stress from the ongoing events. I hope you feel better soon, but please keep us posted.

I read online comic for a reason, mainly to go some place other than the real world for a while.  Two of my favorite comics1 have taken, in the last week or so, a turn towards the darker end of what I am happy with.  This does not make me a happy camper.  It may be trivial to some but, to me, right now, the problems in the EGSverse and the Grrlverse are as real as the real world.  

1El Goonish Shive and Grrl Power.

32 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I read online comic for a reason, mainly to go some place other than the real world for a while.  Two of my favorite comics1 have taken, in the last week or so, a turn towards the darker end of what I am happy with.  This does not make me a happy camper.  It may be trivial to some but, to me, right now, the problems in the EGSverse and the Grrlverse are as real as the real world.  

1El Goonish Shive and Grrl Power.

I'll certainly agree that Grrl Power has taken a pretty dark turn recently, but EGS hasn't gotten that dark though it certainly has been hitting some serious tones with Tedd's situation.

I'll add to the list though with Dumbing of Age, which has so far dealt with attempted date rape, abusive parents, homophobic parents and classmates and attempted suicide. 3 of those 4 were quite bloody.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'll add to the list though with Dumbing of Age

That is one "universe" I never could quite get the hang of, starting back with "It's Walky".  I sorta read Shortpacked for a while, but it never really clicked.

I forgot my Linux password on the laptop.  That is scary, given that I used it earlier today.  In case any one cares, and so I will have it handy again, the steps you need to do for 16.04 Ubuntu are

1. Reboot computer
  2. Hold down shift after the BIOS is done
  3. Select Ubuntu advanced, hit return
  4. Select the top recovery mode
  5. When the color menu comes up select root
  6. When you get the # command line enter `mount -o remount,rw /`
  7. Enter `passwd username`
  8. Enter new password, twice
  9. Press ctrl-d
  10. Select Normal

Just for the record, it's your old address with a capital E

Considering I'm about to post this, this obviously didn't happen but this made me wake up in a cold sweat earlier.

OK, so as I'm sure you're aware I'm about to graduate from college and finally get my own job. For better or worse i had a good run, could have done a lot of things better, but it could have been worse as well.

OK so here's what happened supposedly. I woke up at 6 AM in my old house, and by old house I mean from my hometown. It was early, it was nice and cold and all but it felt weird. I get up, check the calendar and it's March 2012 I looked at that and thought to myself "What is going on?". Then my mom enters the room and asks me if she wants me to heat up the water for me to take a bath and make it special because today was my graduation day. I thought to myself "Wait, no. God please no." and checking on another calendar it was indeed 5 years ago on the day of my high school graduation. I was in a full blown panic and despite my mother's chagrin I was doing my best impression of the Tourettes guy and just not cooperating, I was legitimately worried that my life up to this point was reset to my high school days and that I'd have to go through college and all its pitfalls all over again. To that end I told my incredulous mother that, and told her basically every minor detail I could remember from the days afterward to the point where I convinced her that I was sent back in time. Not that I could do much from that point besides get ready for the commencement exercises later that day, unfortunately that's where the similarities ended because on the way to graduation and trying to think of how i could do college better while I was there, we got into a really, really unpleasant car accident. I ended up losing consciousness, and woke up in bed, from what I think is my home timeline, and no worse for ware.

Then I made my second impression of Tourettes guy. 

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

You need to read Misfile. ^_^

You know things just got weirder because you tell me to check this out, when about a day or so after graduation, I remember reading the first 2-3 chapters of Misfile. Are you sure the timeline isn't collapsing?

48 minutes ago, Red Regent said:

You know things just got weirder because you tell me to check this out, when about a day or so after graduation, I remember reading the first 2-3 chapters of Misfile. Are you sure the timeline isn't collapsing?

Don't panic. Everything is okay, Barack Obama just got re-elected for a second term and I just got my top of the line iPhone 5. Time is completely okay in all ways.

...all right, why are there German troops in the streets outside and what are these old-fashioned propeller planes with swastikas doing overflying Copenhagen?

Driving over rough pavement in the golf cart worked a bolt loose.  The roof of the cart was flapping and banging wildly.  The bolt was lost.

I "repaired" it with zip ties.

I think this says something  about my mentality.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Driving over rough pavement in the golf cart worked a bolt loose.  The roof of the cart was flapping and banging wildly.  The bolt was lost.

The last desk chair I owned had those molded plastic arm brackets that were supposed to hold the back of the chair upright, two bolts on each, one to the back and one to the seat. The plastic cracked just above the bolt holding it to the seat so to fix it, I drilled two drywall screws through the plastic between the bolt to close the crack, and then another through the plastic into the seat. It held for about a year. Then the arm cracked above the fix, but by then I was able to get a new steel tube framed chair. :)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That you didn't have proper mummy bandages available?

I use a pill organizer to keep track of what I should take when. Last night, I found a morning pill (Topamax) in my evening dose bin. It was a rather significant error, because I'm already at the maximum dose just with the morning pill. I would have overdosed.

I wonder if I'd screwed this up any other days of the week.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I use a pill organizer to keep track of what I should take when. Last night, I found a morning pill (Topamax) in my evening dose bin. It was a rather significant error, because I'm already at the maximum dose just with the morning pill. I would have overdosed.

Sounds like time to take all the pills out of the organizer, sort them into their respective bottles, and then reload the organizer (or at least that part of it up to the next time you would normally reload it).

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I wonder if it was an extra or a misfile.  Did you put the morning pill in the evening compartment, rather than put one in the morning and one in the evening?  I'm guessing if you're not sure you're better off not taking it, unless you're taking it as an anticonvulsant; I have some patients who have a seizure if they miss a dose of their meds, but we don't use topiramate in pets so I'm not familiar with that one, let alone its use in The One Forbidden Species.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Sounds like time to take all the pills out of the organizer, sort them into their respective bottles, and then reload the organizer (or at least that part of it up to the next time you would normally reload it).

I'll have to reload it today anyway. Tuesday night is reload night. It takes 45 minutes to load everything.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wonder if it was an extra or a misfile.  Did you put the morning pill in the evening compartment, rather than put one in the morning and one in the evening?

I can only hope it was a misfile. I didn't take it, just in case.

Today I met with the Funeral Director and the Pastor to set the final details for my mother's service tomorrow.  It will be nearly identical to my father's funeral last year.

Everything went smoothly.

Too smoothly.

When I was involved in community theatre, dress rehearsals NEVER went well.  That actually made me more confident about opening night.

38 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Today I met with the Funeral Director and the Pastor to set the final details for my mother's service tomorrow.  It will be nearly identical to my father's funeral last year.

Everything went smoothly.

Too smoothly.

When I was involved in community theatre, dress rehearsals NEVER went well.  That actually made me more confident about opening night.

If I have not already expressed my condolences for your loss, please allow me to do so now. A loss of this magnitude can be difficult to cope with. I wish you and yours the best.

39 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If I have not already expressed my condolences for your loss, please allow me to do so now.

Thank you.  And thanks to everyone of you who have kept me and my family in your thoughts through these times.  The last two years have not been a pleasant time and I appreciate escaping the insane insanity of reality for the rational insanity of the Moperville-adjacent community.