• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Thank you.  And thanks to everyone of you who have kept me and my family in your thoughts through these times.  The last two years have not been a pleasant time and I appreciate escaping the insane insanity of reality for the rational insanity of the Moperville-adjacent community.

I hope everything will go well in spite of the perfect rehearsal. And I am very sorry for your loss, too. I am glad we can provide you with a more rational breed of insanity here.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Today I met with the Funeral Director and the Pastor to set the final details for my mother's service tomorrow.  It will be nearly identical to my father's funeral last year.

Don't know if you mentioned this loss while I was distracted dealing with my own, or what, but if I did miss saying it before, you have my sympathies/condolences.  Losing my father mostly made me feel for my mother, who lost her life partner, but when mom lost her dad a year after her mom, she said even though she was in her sixties, having lost both parents made her feel like an orphan.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Everything went smoothly.

Too smoothly.

When I was involved in community theatre, dress rehearsals NEVER went well.  That actually made me more confident about opening night.

We didn't have a dress rehearsal for my father's memorial, or I might have asked them to tone down the religious-service stuff for my sister's sake.  Still, everything went smoothly, a good number of people attended, and the math professor joke the minister told was one I think my dad would have liked.  :-)

May yours go equally well, if not better.

The reception and lunch following my mother's funeral was in the church fellowship hall.

Several dishes were served and no one was openly offended by the offered fare.

But one thing troubles me.  It has troubled me since early childhood.

There were deviled eggs on the buffet line.  No matter the event. if food is being served someone at that church almost always brings deviled eggs.

Don't get me wrong.  I like deviled eggs.  They were actually one of the first dishes I learned how to prepare on my own as a child.

But it still feels wrong to have deviled eggs in church.

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The reception and lunch following my mother's funeral was in the church fellowship hall.

Several dishes were served and no one was openly offended by the offered fare.

But one thing troubles me.  It has troubled me since early childhood.

There were deviled eggs on the buffet line.  No matter the event. if food is being served someone at that church almost always brings deviled eggs.

Don't get me wrong.  I like deviled eggs.  They were actually one of the first dishes I learned how to prepare on my own as a child.

And on the 8th day, God said "While the consuming of prepared chicken eggs may be considered sinful...I won't hold it against anyone. Thou wouldst be a heathen to not like them."

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I agree with you on your second point.  I disagree with much vigor on your first.  The fall deeply into the "bleh" zone for me.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I agree with you on your second point.  I disagree with much vigor on your first.  The fall deeply into the "bleh" zone for me.

I've gone to some buffets where the "deviled eggs" are just hard boiled eggs cut in half with. Decent ones at least have the yolks creamed with some mayo or miracle whip and some paprika sprinkled on top. Ones that I really liked have dill pickle and sweet onion finely chopped and mixed with the yolks and mayo to really give it a zing.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I've gone to some buffets where the "deviled eggs" are just hard boiled eggs cut in half with. Decent ones at least have the yolks creamed with some mayo or miracle whip and some paprika sprinkled on top. Ones that I really liked have dill pickle and sweet onion finely chopped and mixed with the yolks and mayo to really give it a zing.

When we go to a potluck party, sometimes we'll take two trays of deviled eggs. In one, the yolks are mixed with mayo and mustard and some mild spices. In the other, the same except without the "mild".

(I hope this isn't too necroposty.)

Since shortly after my old laptop computer died, its replacement has been sitting and waiting to be activated. It's sat through various health problems, through waiting periods for tech support questions on how to transfer antivirus and antimalware licenses, and again through more health problems. I was going to set it up the weekend before my CT myelogram, but Mrs. Prof blew that out of the water ("You're not doing that without some antidepressants and antianxiety meds in your system.").

So, the computer still sits. Waiting. Staring. I'm still not in the best health, but I'm unoccupied for today. Mrs. Prof said she's got a couple of things to do today, but she's not going to be busy for the entire day. I've got my tech support questions solved. I'm as ready to go as I'll ever be.

So why does this scare the holy living hell out of me? Why can't I just get it set up and get going? What is my block that's keeping me from doing this?

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

So why does this scare the holy living hell out of me? Why can't I just get it set up and get going? What is my block that's keeping me from doing this?

Bluntly speaking, I think it is because it has somehow become tied up together with your health problems in your head. Confronting it feels like confronting something overwhelming. It isn't, not really, but as long as it feels like it is, there isn't much difference. :/

I don't have any advice for solving the problem right now. But it can be done. I've fought blocks like that myself. You may have to work yourself up to it or, if you can't force your way through the block, find a way to make an end run around it somehow. Trick your way past it.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions. :(

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Why can't I just get it set up and get going? What is my block that's keeping me from doing this?

Do you want to know what it took to get me out of bed, to do anything?  Drugs.  Hard CII drugs.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Do you want to know what it took to get me out of bed, to do anything?  Drugs.  Hard CII drugs.

I've got enough drugs in my life right now, thank you, including hydrocodone, a Class II drug. I'll pass on additional for the moment, even though I may need something stronger in the future.

Our cat, Baker, seems to be losing weight. Either that, or our bathroom scale is off, despite the new battery Mrs. Prof put in it. She's been weighing him by picking him up and weighing the two of them together, then letting him go and weighing just herself. A bit of math, and bingo! Cat weight. Only this latest cat weight was a little bit troubling.

Baker has been weighing around 13½ pounds for about a year (he just turned three, we think). Tonight, he was around 10 pounds. (That's why I question the accuracy of the scale.) He'd begun to turn his nose up at the Blue Buffalo food we were feeding him, so Mrs. Prof went out and found something else, which he seems to be eating quite well. I don't think he has tapeworms, since he doesn't have the white squirmies around his butt, and we use a good anti-flea+other nasties external medicine every month. He's active at night, demanding to play with his cat laser. I don't know what's wrong.

It's bad enough that Mrs. Prof's been shuttling me to a megaton of doctors. Now, she gets to take Baker to our vet. It never ends.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Our cat, Baker, seems to be losing weight. Either that, or our bathroom scale is off, despite the new battery Mrs. Prof put in it. She's been weighing him by picking him up and weighing the two of them together, then letting him go and weighing just herself. A bit of math, and bingo! Cat weight. Only this latest cat weight was a little bit troubling.

Baker has been weighing around 13½ pounds for about a year (he just turned three, we think). Tonight, he was around 10 pounds. (That's why I question the accuracy of the scale.) He'd begun to turn his nose up at the Blue Buffalo food we were feeding him, so Mrs. Prof went out and found something else, which he seems to be eating quite well. I don't think he has tapeworms, since he doesn't have the white squirmies around his butt, and we use a good anti-flea+other nasties external medicine every month. He's active at night, demanding to play with his cat laser. I don't know what's wrong.

It's bad enough that Mrs. Prof's been shuttling me to a megaton of doctors. Now, she gets to take Baker to our vet. It never ends.

Does he have a litter box or do you just let him outside to do his business, I ask cus if he's going to the bathroom more often than usual that could be the reason for the weight loss and might be due to the change in what he's eating. The fact that he's still active seems like a good sign.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Does he have a litter box or do you just let him outside to do his business, I ask cus if he's going to the bathroom more often than usual that could be the reason for the weight loss and might be due to the change in what he's eating. The fact that he's still active seems like a good sign.

His litter box habits don't seem to be changing. That's what makes this all the more confusing.

His new food is EVO Turkey & Chicken Formula Cat & Kitten Food, BTW. @CritterKeeper, is any of this striking a chord with you?

Edited by ProfessorTomoe
Cat Food

Lots of reasons a cat could be losing weight.  You mentioned flea-borne tapeworms, but there's also a type carried in prey like mice.  There's also roundworms and such.  Is he ever outside, or is he strictly indoors?  Any change in how much he's drinking and peeing?  Does he feel like he's getting thinner?  Over three pounds should make a noticable difference.  Evo is a good low-carb diet, from what I've heard; could he have been a bit heavy, and getting to a healthier weight?

33 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Lots of reasons a cat could be losing weight.  You mentioned flea-borne tapeworms, but there's also a type carried in prey like mice.  There's also roundworms and such.  Is he ever outside, or is he strictly indoors?  Any change in how much he's drinking and peeing?  Does he feel like he's getting thinner?  Over three pounds should make a noticable difference.  Evo is a good low-carb diet, from what I've heard; could he have been a bit heavy, and getting to a healthier weight?

Don't know about any other worms, but he's strictly an indoor cat. He is, however, surrounded by ferals outside, with whom Mrs. Prof interacts daily.

His drinking and litter box habits are normal, and he doesn't feel thinner. His vet never called him a fat cat at 13 pounds. Hold on, Mrs. Prof is re-weighing him ... now he's 11.4 pounds. Maybe he's just balancing out at a healthy weight again or something.

If he dips down into the 10-pound range, I think then it'll be vet time. Until then, it's weight (pun intended) and see.

20 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Don't know about any other worms, but he's strictly an indoor cat. He is, however, surrounded by ferals outside, with whom Mrs. Prof interacts daily.

His drinking and litter box habits are normal, and he doesn't feel thinner. His vet never called him a fat cat at 13 pounds. Hold on, Mrs. Prof is re-weighing him ... now he's 11.4 pounds. Maybe he's just balancing out at a healthy weight again or something.

If he dips down into the 10-pound range, I think then it'll be vet time. Until then, it's weight (pun intended) and see.

Maybe he is just fretting because of the trail camera. He probably decided that if he ever had to pose in front of it, he'd better be in perfect shape to impress all the ladies, so he started dieting.

25 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe he is just fretting because of the trail camera. He probably decided that if he ever had to pose in front of it, he'd better be in perfect shape to impress all the ladies, so he started dieting.

Nice theory.  But fatally flawed.

Cats are vain because they know they are purrfect.  A little weight up or down doesn't change that.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nice theory.  But fatally flawed.

Cats are vain because they know they are purrfect.  A little weight up or down doesn't change that.

This is true. I should have remembered that my old Burmese Catso firmly believed that he was perfect due to being big, brown and fat.

Some jackwipe decided to toss a Molotov cocktail at a dude changing his tire on the side of the road.  This happened about 2 or 3 blocks, depending on which source I've read, from my apartment complex's leasing office.  Victim not seriously injured, but the car was totaled.  

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Some jackwipe decided to toss a Molotov cocktail at a dude changing his tire on the side of the road.  This happened about 2 or 3 blocks, depending on which source I've read, from my apartment complex's leasing office.  Victim not seriously injured, but the car was totaled.  

This qualifies in both this thread AND in the "WTF?" thread. /* shudder */

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This qualifies in both this thread AND in the "WTF?" thread. /* shudder */

Yep Does at that.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Good Lord, yeah. :slight_frown:

As random acts of violence go, it's not that bad.  What makes it bad is being close to my house and it's randomness.   Not part of a protest, not gang related, doesn't appear to be racial, just jackasses with fire bombs on one of the busiest streets in Tulsa.   It's even the wrong time of the year for the "purify the earth by fire" people.  They, back in the day1, would toss firebombs into the brush in early spring.  Most, if not all, of them aren't around anymore.  

1"Back in the day" maps to late 60's early 70's and they were more rural than urban. At least one family self-removed themselves from the gene pool due to dropping a firebomb inside their car, where it set of the other dozen.  Rural Oklahoma.  It's a special place sometimes.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

"Back in the day" maps to late 60's early 70's and they were more rural than urban. At least one family self-removed themselves from the gene pool due to dropping a firebomb inside their car, where it set of the other dozen.  Rural Oklahoma.  It's a special place sometimes.

Wow. That's a removal, all right.