• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

Today, I have learned some alarming news, I asked my parents about their health insurance since the health funds were increasing their premiums, and they mentioned that they took me of the policy because my income was above the threshold.

This surprised me, as while I planned to have my own health insurance policy, I didn't think it would be so soon and now I'm researching the various health funds in Australia to see which is suitable for me.

I read enough personal finance sites to know that having adequate insurance is essential.

Outdoor cats.

Coyotes.

Neighborhood association isn't doing anything.

A worrisome combination.

Major house repairs. Starting tomorrow, crews will basically strip the outside non-brick portions of my house and install Hardie Board siding/soffit/fascia/etc.  They'll also be tearing down our crappy sectional gutters and replacing them with seamless aluminum gutters. Mrs. Prof and I will be home, watching a big chunk of our cash flow away while the crews are working.

At least the damned squirrels won't be able to chew through the fiber/cement board that's going up. No more getting into our attic and walls.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

You're an optimist.

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

the only thing rodents can't burrow through is metal

I'll admit to being optimistic after seeing an episode of How It's Made that featured Hardie board. Besides, if the squirrels do make it through, we'll be covered by a warranty and they'll have some very sore jaws.

5 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

the only thing rodents can't burrow through is metal.

Depend on metal/alloy and thickness. 18 gauge sheet copper, easily; 11 gauge hardened 1009 carbon steel, not anytime soon.

The Hardie board is going up. They started with the soffit and fascia today. According to Mrs. Prof, they also angered several nests worth of wasps.

I have an extreme phobia to wasps.

I will limit my outside time over the next few days.

So, I ordered something online on Monday for my mom's birthday that's coming up towards the end of the month, I just happened to check the tracking status of it, the package started it's journey in Howell, Michigan, but instead of going east to Detroit and then into Canada which would have been a 5-6 hour trip to deliver it to me, it's gone west and is currently in Chicago...which is probably the same distance from Howell to me.

I'm paying $16.90 for express priority shipping, odds are it's probably going to be flown from Chicago to Toronto, and then another 3-4 hours to get to me.

Well, just checked tracking again and the package is now in Canada, still feels strange that they insisted on going to Chicago instead of through Detroit.

Well, my worries seem to have been proven true, I just checked the tracking of the package and apparently they attempted to deliver it at 10:30am this morning but couldn't because "the addressee wasn't available for delivery" WTF I've been home all day. The room I'm in is above the door they should have delivered it to and I heard nothing, heck the last time we had something delivered to us, they called moments before to make sure someone was home. I got no call.......

I once sent something to  my mother-in-law that would take a signature on delivery. They claimed to have attempted to deliver it at a certain time and found nobody home to sign for it. If they had attempted to deliver it at that time, they would have literally stepped over her before getting to the door - she was working in the garden next to the front door. And her housemate was also home.

This was on the fifth day after I paid for next-day delivery.

So...today I learned that when USPS tracking says "Addressee wasn't available for delivery, item being held while addressee is notified" they mean "we've dropped it off at your post office, it's up to you to pick it up now".

When my mom got home from her bus run I mentioned the notification and even she was like "I didn't hear any knock or anything." and she wondered if maybe they would have left it at the post office as an alternate delivery point, I didn't think so because again I thought that the tracking would have mentioned where it left the package but I went to check anyway and sure enough the package was there, and in fact there was never any attempt to deliver directly to my door...