• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

1"Back in the day" maps to late 60's early 70's and they were more rural than urban. At least one family self-removed themselves from the gene pool due to dropping a firebomb inside their car, where it set of the other dozen.  Rural Oklahoma.  It's a special place sometimes.

I don't recall that scene in the musical.

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I don't recall that scene in the musical.

All kidding aside, the musical is set about 100 miles west of where this was happening. Maybe a little more.  Oddly, based on the town names used, it's set in the hilly part of the state, not the plains part.  As per normal, a New Yorker can't bother to look on a map.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

In The Whiteboard, Doc is going to repair Clara's espresso machine. I am now worried that he will try to make it fusion powered.

That seems like a 3rd date sort of thing.   He's just going to make it really high powered.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

In The Whiteboard, Doc is going to repair Clara's espresso machine. I am now worried that he will try to make it fusion powered.

I'm going to be optimistic that Doc is going to just fix it as to avoid potentially embarrassing Cara. Although I can totally understand Doc's reaction to seeing the toolbox. A slotted screwdriver? That's just barbaric.

A couple Fridays ago I took the test to get my learner's permit (after what, twelve years since I was eligible?), and I passed, and I was legally able to drive so long as I had a licensed driver in the passenger seat.

Driving on the nearest highway (actually a farm-to-market road, but it's wide enough to be considered a highway in my mind) is still nerve-wracking.

I just changed my PayPal password out of an abundance of caution. Some recording claiming to be PayPal called and asked for my "PIN number" from my account. It awakened me from the sleep of hydrocodone, so I tried a couple. Both failed. Then I caught my wits and hung up. I checked my account—no activity. After thinking about it for a minute or two, I changed my password to an extremely strong one, got on Equifax, and put a 90-day fraud alert on my account. After the incident with the funeral flowers, I'm taking no more chances.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I just changed my PayPal password out of an abundance of caution. Some recording claiming to be PayPal called and asked for my "PIN number" from my account. It awakened me from the sleep of hydrocodone, so I tried a couple. Both failed. Then I caught my wits and hung up. I checked my account—no activity. After thinking about it for a minute or two, I changed my password to an extremely strong one, got on Equifax, and put a 90-day fraud alert on my account. After the incident with the funeral flowers, I'm taking no more chances.

Good. It's not more than four months since I blocked my credit card on the merest and faintest suspicion that I might have given the number to someone who shouldn't have it. It was an annoying wait for the new one but SO much better than not being able to trust my old one.

My anxiety level shot up again today. (I know, what's new, right?)

I got an e-mail from the Recording Academy—the group that handles voting for the Grammys—about it being just about time to vote for this year's awards. I've been a voting member since 1997, based on the work I did for Stargunner and Shadow Warrior (I even managed to get Lo Wang's Rap onto the list of eligible songs for round one of voting, but I doubt anyone but me voted for it). Since then, I haven't put out anything that could be called an album. That's now a requirement for voting status—active membership. If you're not putting out songs on their terms, you don't get to vote. What that means to me is I've got to put out an album by the end of June 2018, or I drop down to Associate (non-voting) status.

This would be fine if I weren't sick all the time. God, I need some help here.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My anxiety level shot up again today. (I know, what's new, right?)

I got an e-mail from the Recording Academy—the group that handles voting for the Grammys—about it being just about time to vote for this year's awards. I've been a voting member since 1997, based on the work I did for Stargunner and Shadow Warrior (I even managed to get Lo Wang's Rap onto the list of eligible songs for round one of voting, but I doubt anyone but me voted for it). Since then, I haven't put out anything that could be called an album. That's now a requirement for voting status—active membership. If you're not putting out songs on their terms, you don't get to vote. What that means to me is I've got to put out an album by the end of June 2018, or I drop down to Associate (non-voting) status.

This would be fine if I weren't sick all the time. God, I need some help here.

One thing at a time, old friend. One thing at a time. See if your current pain doctor can't make some progress in the next few months. If he does, everything else will follow.

Your health is your priority number one. Focus on that.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

One thing at a time, old friend. One thing at a time. See if your current pain doctor can't make some progress in the next few months. If he does, everything else will follow.

Your health is your priority number one. Focus on that.

I know, but I'm running out of time. I don't really have a "next few months" to spare. That's what scares the crap out of me.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I know, but I'm running out of time. I don't really have a "next few months" to spare. That's what scares the crap out of me.

Do not panic yet. Find out if you have options. Write them and ask if you may get a postponement for fulfilling the requirement due to health reasons. Someone in there may actually be a human being who is open to reason, after all. And even if that is not possible, ask them if it is possible for you to return to full status once you are healthy by fulfilling the requirement then.

And if all other options fail, well, then, let me be brutally honest. What matters to me is that you get healthy, not whether the Grammies foolishly throw away your expertise and keen appreciation of music. I would rather see you healthy three, six or nine months from now than still in pain and on however many voting boards there might be in the entire music industry.

9 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'll check. Right now, I'm not even 100% sure of the amount of material required to maintain voting status, because I saw a "redefinition" of an album come down the e-mail pipe a few weeks back.

Does "Spoken word" count?  If so, just make a series of recordings of your pain blogs here.  Call it "(some) Doctors suck and my back is on fire" or words to that effect.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Does "Spoken word" count?  If so, just make a series of recordings of your pain blogs here.  Call it "(some) Doctors suck and my back is on fire" or words to that effect.

The Prof could make it a rap...

I've discussed this to a small extent with Mrs. Prof. She let me purchase a piece of software that I've needed for a long time—something called "Translator," put out by a company called Chicken Systems, Inc. Don't let the company name fool you: this is supposed to be one powerful piece of software. The version I ordered takes just about any format sample and translates it so that Native Instruments Komplete's Kontakt can play it. Seamlessly, supposedly. I've tried the free version, written to the company with questions, and done everything but make sure it can write to Kontakt format (that's disabled in the free version). The company president wrote back and was, of course, confident in his product, even when I told him I'd have a wife looking over my shoulder.

They're actually mailing me a physical product. I hope it comes with a printed manual (I doubt it, but I still hope).

EDIT: Nope. No printed manual. It needs one. At least I can install it on any system I own and use.

Tad bit worried here. Big time service of the 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTS going on today, way beyond oil change/tire rotation/transaxle fluid change. They're doing the 100k mile service, which includes expensive things like the timing chain. They quoted me over $1,200, parts & labor, with no loaner car—just rentals at $40 a day.

This sounds bad until you toss in a couple of wild cards. Number one: a 20% discount card on labor, mailed to me from the dealer themselves. Number two: the Takata airbag recall on both my steering wheel and passenger side airbags. Number three: since it's a recall, they can put us in the rental car for free. Quote reduced to around $1,100.

It's still a lot, but it's a lot for a bunch of fixes that should help the Ridgeline go a lot farther for a lot longer.

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

...goldarn you, Prof. Now you reminded me of this.

Please note: the link above is really not all that safe for work. At least not if you read closely.

The Anal Commander taking his troops along the Anal Ridgeline is easy to imagine ...

:D

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

A friend of mine once owned a Ford Probe. Yes, the jokes were made.

At one time Ford attempted to market the Pinto in Brazil. For some reason, it did not sell well. In fact, sales were so disastrously low that they dug into why. It turned out that in Brazil, 'Pinto' was slang for 'tiny penis.' They quietly rebranded it the 'Caballero' and subsequently sales improved.

Hoo boy.

Mrs. Prof is going to come home with steam coming out of her ears.

My Honda dealership sends me a digital receipt. That receipt doesn't show what services were done, but it does show what the charges were:

$1467.10.

No idea how much of this is tax. Regardless, I have a picture in my mind of Mrs. Prof arguing with the service manager over repairs that weren't quoted on the sheet when she took it in. It's not a pretty picture.