• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things that make you worried.

On 27/01/2019 at 9:42 PM, Don Edwards said:

That fits what I was thinking: that the cat wasn't really eating the french fries, he was eating the salt and maybe the grease - and the french fries just came along for the ride.

It was really expensive though. One time when I bought fries the guy behind the counter ended up hitting the three zeroes button instead of the enter key a few times before finally getting it right, ending up with an asking price of 200.000.000 Danish Kroner, or approximately 30 million dollars. When I came home Catso stole one of the fries which probably cost at least a quarter million dollars. I ended up with dumping for about five million dollars' worth of fries into the trash and decided that this must be what it felt like to work in a European Union surplus stockpile.

Overdue update on Baker the cat:

Baker has been through a lot since my last update. He's home, being fed through a tube by Mrs. Prof several times a day. He's also finally eating on his own to supplement the tube feeding.

Mrs. Prof thought we were going to lose him at least once, but I reminded her of what the vet told us (especially when he found out we have pet insurance): Don't Give Up. Sure enough, Baker pulled through on the night in question and has improved steadily. He's now off his pain medication and back to climbing his cat exercise tree.

The vet did blood work at yesterday's follow-up appointment and was very happy with what she saw. Baker's white blood cell count is getting back to normal, as are his BUN numbers. Other numbers are still slightly out of whack, forcing him to remain on some medications (ursodiol, for one). He's also going to get a booster dose of appetite stimulant.

He'll be back in the vet in a week to have his abdominal stitches removed, then again a few weeks after that to have his feeding tube removed.

All in all, we're not out of the woods yet, but we can at least see the highway from where we're standing.

Attached picture is of Baker (feeding tube not visible) with Mrs. Prof in the background.

BakerMom20190128_01a.jpg

Mrs. Prof and I were finally able to leave the house together yesterday to do some grocery shopping, without fear for Baker's life. This Sunday, we'll be going to a Super Bowl watch party. That's how significant his progress has been. He has come back literally from the brink of death to being a normal cat with the run of the house. He still hasn't returned to his full, boisterous self who bounced off the walls twice a day - I doubt if he'll ever return to that level of activity - but he's acting more like himself now than he has at any point since ingesting the sewing thread.

We still have him at the front of our thoughts (or, at least I do (Mrs. Prof most likely does as well)). I worry about him not having anything blocking access to his surgical scar during the day (Mrs. Prof's idea). However, the vet said she was more concerned about him doing "excess grooming" of the scar, and he certainly hasn't done that. Maybe I worry too much. I don't know. Maybe I've just missed one dose too many of my antidepressant. Still, Baker continues to improve without back-tracking, and that's what counts, despite my worries.

It's been a week since my last post, and Baker continues to astound us with his progress. He has returned to his pre-thread-eating weight of 13.6 pounds and has, to a limited degree, resumed running through the house again. Last night was the first night that he broke out into a sprint, albeit a somewhat hampered one. He also showed interest in his laser pointer for the first time since all this began last night. He's eating more kibble, however he got into his housemate's kibble and wound up throwing up yesterday. Fortunately, there was no damage to his feeding tube. He's still being fed through the tube several times a day, and he's getting wily about feeding time - he runs off and tries to hide, even though he is docile during the actual feeding.

His stitches are out, so now he just has a shaved tummy and some minor scabbing. He's also got a new feeding tube collar which Mrs. Prof mail-ordered. He's not too keen on it: he keeps scratching at it. The old one is in the wash, so he's stuck with this one until the old one dries. I'm watching him closely - right-side scratching is okay, but left-side ist verboten.

His body has finally filled back out again, thanks to the weight gain. He was looking very gaunt when his weight was in the mid-12-pound region. You could feel the bones along his back and see that his face was very angular. Now, his face is round and full, and his back and shoulders/hips have some muscle on them again.

His next trip to the vet will be Thursday of this week to determine when his feeding tube comes out.  He may have to be weaned off of it, because even though he's eating kibble, he's not eating enough to sustain himself. All will be told at the vet's office.

Baker is having some trouble adapting to life without a feeding tube. He's thrown up his kibble four straight days now. His evening activity level is rather low, but he's still somewhat active in the morning. He is meowing a lot more than normal throughout the day, though not so much today. Mrs. Prof finally called the vet around noon, who said Baker's pancreatitis may be acting up again. The vet clinic has standing orders to give Baker IV fluids and anti-nausea medicine on arrival if we ever bring him back in. Fortunately, Baker has had three small meals since throwing up breakfast and has kept all of them down. Fingers crossed.

I was watching newsreel footage of a parade where the Royal Horse Artillery passed in review.

What worries me is that the name Royal Horse Artillery made me think of horses fired out of cannons.

They wouldn't actually do that.  Would they?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I was watching newsreel footage of a parade where the Royal Horse Artillery passed in review.

What worries me is that the name Royal Horse Artillery made me think of horses fired out of cannons.

They wouldn't actually do that.  Would they?

Only if the horse is sober.

When you're pretty sure you accidentally threw away all of your passwords.

I sold some old textbooks and assigned reading books to Half Price Books to get a bit of money. They could resell some, and the rest weren't in good enough condition and would be recycled (I kept a couple of those because why not). Got a few bucks out of it.

I had forgotten until this morning, two weeks later, after I'd cleared my computer's browser history and signed me out of literally everything, that my little paper fold containing all of my passwords was tucked into one of the recycled books as a hiding spot.

Good job, me. It's probably been shredded by now.

Fortunately, I remembered almost all of my usernames and had some password recovery options, so I was able to reset almost everything, and from what I can tell, no damage has been done. Some things are beyond recovery (a deviantart "plz" account from back when those were a thing, and there's probably some old job application sites, and I don't know what else but something might be more important than those), but with my email passwords all reset, I think I'll be fine.

I'm still hoping I'll find it in a drawer or another book or something, but to be honest, I'm not too hopeful. That book was just a good hiding place.

8 hours ago, Zorua said:

When you're pretty sure you accidentally threw away all of your passwords

That sucks.  I'd be up shit creek if I had my machines log out of all websites and cleared the brower's password "file".