• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Wednesday July 12, 2017

Better to get it out plainly.
Conclusion jumping is Sarah's favorite sport, and she may have coached Tedd.

So how long will it be until we get to "Dad, why didn't you tell me I have a Godfather?"

And does Adrian own a pinstripe suit?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2372

I guess Tedd doesn't need to connect any dots, Pandora just laid it right out for him.

Yup, although I suspect it would take him some time to process anyway.

(Hour later: "Wait. Did she said parentS? Was Adrian Raven friend of my mom?")

... actually, maybe it was good way how to distract Tedd from mentioning his mother.

Hmmm ... Pandora seem to forgot "Chaos". After her scaring Tedd of being evil, I'm not sure if it was wise or unnecessary.

If she would be there for Tedd, I think we would see much more exotic and weird TF gun forms. I mean, that's the only POSITIVE thing which could came from that ...

And regarding the poll: do those who wanted Tedd to be told though of Tedd's good or just drama? I mean, the labelling is not completely clear ... although I personally agree.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I predict Tedd's father faking a seizure at some point in the near future.

I'm not sure he will need to fake it.

Also, it's still night, right? Tedd is probably not going to get much sleep now. Both him and Sarah would be sleeping in class. Just like Nanase on the Friday morning before the tournament ...

8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Voltaire is watching and listening. It wouldn't be the first time Voltaire was in Tedd's basement.

His most likely reactions when Pandora appeared there:

1) Damn. She's after me. RUN.

2) Sitting in corner, biting his fingers and mumbling "I'm dead I'm dead I'm dead"

Pandora is not saying anything new to Voltaire, with the possible exception of "I consider you family". She PROBABLY wouldn't be able to see him, but I don't think Voltaire would be risking that.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So how long will it be until we get to "Dad, why didn't you tell me I have a Godfather?"

I can't resist - "what are you talking about, precious?"

As of now, it looks to me like Tedd didn't know Adrian Raven except as Grace's bad-ass half-immortal history teacher until Pandora spoke up. That would mean that his parents separated so long ago Tedd has no memory of Mr. Raven from before that time or, as I said before, Tedd doesn't connect his vague memories of his parents' older friend with the present Mr. Raven. And it also seems that Grace did not tell Tedd what Mr. Raven told her about his guilt about his Tedd's leaving.

After a night's sleep, or maybe as close as I get in my sixty-seventh year, I have a newish theory of what went on in those as-yet unrevealed years (as ever, Moperville time): Pandora wanted to do intervene, her son thought she'd just make things worse, they had a big fight, and Pandora was so upset she decided to take a long nap. Maybe it was Magus falling out of his nest that woke her up! A nice feature of this theory is that it might explain why Pandora seems so creepy and inhuman when she first shows up, and justifies why she gets more likeable as time passed: Pandora hadn't had practice at being human for a decade or more.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... actually, maybe it was good way how to distract Tedd from mentioning his mother.

It's entirely possible she'll mention his mother again, she's already decided Tedd needs to know the truth. I do hope that she emphasizes that he was never told out of fear that it would undo all the progress he's made socially and emotionally over the past year at least. That whole "kicking a really old bomb" metaphor that Ellen had.

Speaking of which, it hasn't been just Edward keeping these secrets from Tedd, Grace knew about Adrian having been friends with Tedd's parents and that Adrian blames himself for their divorce. Also Ellen and Nanase both know that Tedd mom's has been galavanting around fighting monsters and rogue wizards for several years. Neither of them know the whole story, but it's still more that Tedd knew and it would have got him asking more questions if they told him. Hopefully Tedd doesn't react badly to finding out his own friends knew things, I wonder if Pandora knows that they know.

Hmmm ... Pandora seem to forgot "Chaos". After her scaring Tedd of being evil, I'm not sure if it was wise or unnecessary.

I'm pretty certain the "Chaos" part was for Magus's benefit, Magus opted to call her that because she refused to give him her actually name, and she was disappointed that he couldn't come up with something more creative. She then added it to her name as emphasis when they had their falling out.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm not sure he will need to fake it.

I'm still expecting Edward to walk in on the conversation any moment now, I'm surprised neither him nor Grace have come downstairs to investigate that outburst Pandora had.

Also, it's still night, right? Tedd is probably not going to get much sleep now. Both him and Sarah would be sleeping in class. Just like Nanase on the Friday morning before the tournament ...

Yeah it's gotta be after midnight, Sarah was just getting for bed when Pandora showed up so it's likely she'll get enough sleep, I honestly don't see the revelation that Mr Raven is Box's son as being insomnia worthy, not compared to Sarah's first encounter with Pandora.

Tedd was likely not going to get much sleep anyway as he woke up in the middle of the night and started tinkering, who knows how long he would have done that.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

His most likely reactions when Pandora appeared there:

1) Damn. She's after me. RUN.

2) Sitting in corner, biting his fingers and mumbling "I'm dead I'm dead I'm dead"

Or 3) She's played right into my hands, revealing all this stuff about him and his family would certainly turn him further to my goal....wait what? No! You're supposed to be traumatized by this and go on a magic flinging rampage!!!

*reaches final panel* *laughs*

I'm going to laugh at that panel every time I read it, now, I feel. ^_^

Though Pandora, if you're worried you could always call this guidance. You're guiding Tedd to better understanding of his past's familial situation. Though I have to wonder whether this means Pandora's going to answer any susequent questions Tedd has; I can see Edward dancing around the actual answer and temporizing instead. So, either Tedd gets his answers from Pandora, or he gets them from Raven. I think it'll be interesting to see if Raven's version of things matches Edward's version; we don't know how far back the rabbit-hole of Immortal Interference goes, after all.

10 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Yep.  That's going a be a fun day.

Just now, mlooney said:
7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I should have added this when I first commented on it, but I don't think Edward would do that now that Pandora's telling Tedd. If Tedd went to his dad later and asked why he never told him all this and Edward attempts to dodge the subject, it would only make things worse between them. If Edward really does care about his son, he should own up now that Tedd knows.

37 minutes ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, mlooney said:
14 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I should have added this when I first commented on it, but I don't think Edward would do that now that Pandora's telling Tedd. If Tedd went to his dad later and asked why he never told him all this and Edward attempts to dodge the subject, it would only make things worse between them. If Edward really does care about his son, he should own up now that Tedd knows

Okay, another conjecture: the reason that Tedd's father doesn't like it when Tedd spends time as a girl is that Tedd reminds him of Noriko in that form.

Okay, another conjecture: the reason that Tedd's father doesn't like it when Tedd spends time as a girl is that Tedd reminds him of Noriko in that form.

That actually makes sense and doesn't reflect as badly on Edward as some of the other reasons.

Something I never considered, although in slap-myself hindsight, obvious.

However, since Edward once said to himself that perhaps he should have chosen a more gender-neutral name for his son/daughter, and let Tedd create his TG guns and lets Tedd keep them, Edward seems to be as open-minded as he can manage about it.

This makes me wonder if Tedd has ever realized how much he looks like his mother, male or female. Tedd's godfather has at least one picture of Tedd's mom in his home, but have we ever seen one in Tedd's home?

H-uh. I have to admit I didn't consider that idea. Edward could just come out and tell Tedd if that's the reason, though. *shakes head* Poor communication, that is. 

I don't recall seeing any pictures, or any other kind of wall decorations aside from the posters Tedd has in his room. It's entirely possible they're there, but off panel, I suppose.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Woah!  That makes so much sense!  Dude, you have cracked my mind open.

And yes, we also get to see the true power of an immortal.  Pandora Raven blitzing through and just telling Tedd something that many would argue he doesn't know, just because Blaike would have said go ahead and do it.  I say we give all of the reveals to Pandora to do from now on.  She'll just rattle them off and all of the characters can be caught up.

14 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

I don't recall seeing any pictures, or any other kind of wall decorations aside from the posters Tedd has in his room. It's entirely possible they're there, but off panel, I suppose.

That's the one hole in my theory. Has Tedd ever seen pictures of Noriko? We, the bunnies, have only been given one shot at her, and it was a shadowy shot at that (someone please supply link, thank you). We have no way of knowing if Tedd knows what Noriko looks like. If he doesn't, the conjecture stands as probable.

13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

After a night's sleep, or maybe as close as I get in my sixty-seventh year, I have a newish theory of what went on in those as-yet unrevealed years (as ever, Moperville time): Pandora wanted to do intervene, her son thought she'd just make things worse, they had a big fight, and Pandora was so upset she decided to take a long nap. Maybe it was Magus falling out of his nest that woke her up! A nice feature of this theory is that it might explain why Pandora seems so creepy and inhuman when she first shows up, and justifies why she gets more likeable as time passed: Pandora hadn't had practice at being human for a decade or more.

I don't think she took THAT long nap - in such case, she would actually have the practice of being human still fresh. IHMO she spent years awake and not practising being human. It IS possible that Magus falling out was her first appearance on physical plane since the time Raven saw her last, 14 years ago.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

Speaking of which, it hasn't been just Edward keeping these secrets from Tedd, Grace knew about Adrian having been friends with Tedd's parents and that Adrian blames himself for their divorce. Also Ellen and Nanase both know that Tedd mom's has been galavanting around fighting monsters and rogue wizards for several years. Neither of them know the whole story, but it's still more that Tedd knew and it would have got him asking more questions if they told him. Hopefully Tedd doesn't react badly to finding out his own friends knew things, I wonder if Pandora knows that they know.

Well I think he is likely to understand the logic of not kicking the bomb, as he himself didn't wanted to think about his mother and even commented it loud few times.

I'm still expecting Edward to walk in on the conversation any moment now, I'm surprised neither him nor Grace have come downstairs to investigate that outburst Pandora had.

She MIGHT put some noise-dampening spell on the basement ... or maybe the basement is just that well isolated.

Yeah it's gotta be after midnight, Sarah was just getting for bed when Pandora showed up so it's likely she'll get enough sleep, I honestly don't see the revelation that Mr Raven is Box's son as being insomnia worthy, not compared to Sarah's first encounter with Pandora.

Well, not THAT much insomnia worthy, that's true ...

Tedd was likely not going to get much sleep anyway as he woke up in the middle of the night and started tinkering, who knows how long he would have done that.

And it seems he was lying in bed unable to sleep for some time before that, possibly hours.

11 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Though Pandora, if you're worried you could always call this guidance.

I don't think she is afraid of breaking immortal law, as this is CERTAINLY AND CLEARLY guidance. The "not tell you" was related to Edward not telling him.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I should have added this when I first commented on it, but I don't think Edward would do that now that Pandora's telling Tedd. If Tedd went to his dad later and asked why he never told him all this and Edward attempts to dodge the subject, it would only make things worse between them. If Edward really does care about his son, he should own up now that Tedd knows.

Just because it would make things worse doesn't mean Edward will realize it. It wouldn't be first mistake he made ...

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Something I never considered, although in slap-myself hindsight, obvious.

I think it was already mentioned on forum before ... possibly when commenting this strip.

It was also mentioned that Nanase might remind Tedd Noriko ...

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

This makes me wonder if Tedd has ever realized how much he looks like his mother, male or female. Tedd's godfather has at least one picture of Tedd's mom in his home, but have we ever seen one in Tedd's home?

We didn't and Edward likely has, question is if TEDD saw it. I can see Edward keeping it somewhere hidden.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

And yes, we also get to see the true power of an immortal.  Pandora Raven blitzing through and just telling Tedd something that many would argue he doesn't know, just because Blaike would have said go ahead and do it.

Blaike also run head-first into cave with bear, refusing any information about it :)

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
3 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

That's the one hole in my theory. Has Tedd ever seen pictures of Noriko? We, the bunnies, have only been given one shot at her, and it was a shadowy shot at that (someone please supply link, thank you). We have no way of knowing if Tedd knows what Noriko looks like. If he doesn't, the conjecture stands as probable.

We also know that she looks very similar to Nanase.

36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We also know that she looks very similar to Nanase. ["she" being Noriko, Tedd's mother]

Keep in mind that Tedd only really knows that Noriko left because Tedd is defective.  We've got the power-evaluator flashbacks, we've got some partial statements from Tedd who can't manage to talk about it, the whole "thought Tedd was mute" thing is Tedd's emotional trauma at being abandoned for not being good enough.

Nanase is clearly good enough -- pretty, multilingual, athletic, powerful, social -- and Tedd clearly has issues about this. "Ugly cousin" isn't necessarily to avoid feeling attracted to Nanase; it might be to avoid noticing that Nanase is good enough and Tedd isn't.  (We don't know what kind of memories Tedd has but "never coming home for Christmas" implies Tedd had some verbal understanding when Noriko left.  That means Tedd has memories of how Noriko treated Nanase.  It likely also means Edward is very, very angry with Noriko and possibly with Manase, too.)

So my theory is that Edward Verres is sighing about Tedd being in female form not because of female gender presentation, but because it probably looks to Edward like Tedd trying to find a way to be good enough for Noriko by being more like Nanase.   Any sensible parent is going to be worried about that because your kid trying to change themselves into someone else entirely so their other parent will love them is one of those "land war in Asia" classic blunders.  (Tedd has misunderstood this, probably because Edward can't figure out a way to be sure saying something won't collapse Tedd back into complete social dysfunction and is saying nothing in consequence.  Things are getting better, leave them alone.)

We know almost nothing about that generation; I find myself wondering if Susan's mother was in on it; there's no reason the vampire-slayer tendencies don't come to Susan through the maternal line.  It certainly looks like there was a group that had some kind of joint purpose -- protecting people from magic seems almost too unspecific -- and Noriko declared failure and ran away, but we don't know who was in the group. (We don't, for instance, have any backstory for Noah or why Raven is their guardian.)

It strikes me that the character more likely to die is not Pandora but Edward Verres.  Everything in the last however long has been acting to make an at-least-Tedd's-lifetime pattern of self-sacrifice pointless, and there's a whole lot of protectiveness and anger there.  It wouldn't take that much for it to get loose.

52 minutes ago, Them, from There said:

Keep in mind that Tedd only really knows that Noriko left because Tedd is defective.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't - not on conscious level. He may, however, feel that subconsciously, or reacts based on memory he repressed so he's only aware of it on subconscious level.

Nanase is clearly good enough -- pretty, multilingual, athletic, powerful, social -- and Tedd clearly has issues about this. "Ugly cousin" isn't necessarily to avoid feeling attracted to Nanase; it might be to avoid noticing that Nanase is good enough and Tedd isn't.  (We don't know what kind of memories Tedd has but "never coming home for Christmas" implies Tedd had some verbal understanding when Noriko left.  That means Tedd has memories of how Noriko treated Nanase.  It likely also means Edward is very, very angry with Noriko and possibly with Manase, too.)

So my theory is that Edward Verres is sighing about Tedd being in female form not because of female gender presentation, but because it probably looks to Edward like Tedd trying to find a way to be good enough for Noriko by being more like Nanase.   Any sensible parent is going to be worried about that because your kid trying to change themselves into someone else entirely so their other parent will love them is one of those "land war in Asia" classic blunders.  (Tedd has misunderstood this, probably because Edward can't figure out a way to be sure saying something won't collapse Tedd back into complete social dysfunction and is saying nothing in consequence.  Things are getting better, leave them alone.)

However, this works nicely - maybe even MORE nicely - even if Tedd doesn't know it consciously - either because of that subconscious level or just because it's what EDWARD thinks is happening.

We know almost nothing about that generation; I find myself wondering if Susan's mother was in on it; there's no reason the vampire-slayer tendencies don't come to Susan through the maternal line.

Even if the vampire-slaying AFFINITY come from maternal line doesn't mean Susan's mother was aware of it ; she definitely doesn't seem to be. Unlike Mrs. Kitsune, who definitely WAS part of that group and most likely DOES have magic, as we already got multiple hints about that.

protecting people from magic seems almost too unspecific -- and Noriko declared failure and ran away

She certainly didn't. She's protecting people just fine in France, and in fact might feel she's more needed in France than in Moperville. Remember what Raven said: she's the one who placed greater importance on her career than her family - the career, most likely, being monster slaying.

It's possible that she considered DGB too passive and decided to go somewhere where she can better utilize her talents, while Edward entered DGB and changed it from inside (DGB likely WAS more passive under Arthur Arthur before Edward ...)

I can totally imagine them starting to argue about DGB then going more personal until Noriko brought Tedd into conversation. I mean by mentioning him and his lack of magic, not actually bringing the child there.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

She's protecting people just fine in France

If Noriko is protecting people just fine in France, how come Helen and Demetrius recruited Susan and Nanase? Possibly she was two busy at the time half-blinding Not-Tengu, or recovering from that battle. But we're not sure when that was, or even if it was really in France. Ellen assumed Not-Tengu was French, but one "Bonjour" does not a Frenchman make.