• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday July 14, 2017

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Pandora must have seen Mama Kitsune's potential, but the "if she tried" part sounds like Mama Kitsune didn't try to reach her magic potential, Raven might have tried but if she refused to take direction in that subject then she likely didn't awaken

Wizards awaken?

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Perhaps Noriko deserted Tedd even before her sister finished high school.

THAT doesn't fit with Nanase and Tedd being pretty much the same age, and has been dealt with... but I think we can resolve something else. There's no evidence of Mamase having a career other than homemaker and mother. Nanase definitely had and has a career. I think it fairly likely, under the circumstances, that Mamase married young (fresh out of high school or maybe college) and had a kid soon after, while Noriko waited before reproducing... which would mean that Noriko is the older of the two.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Mrs Kitsune is not unwilling to work for what she wants.  Pandora says she could have been a powerful Wizard if she tried.  To me this indicates that she does not WANT to be a Muenster Hunter.

She thinks the retirement plan is cheesy.

I'd point out that not being as powerful a wizard as Noriko, doesn't mean she isn't a wizard or - even more generally - can't do magic.

2 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

As a travel agent, she should be able to find the best deal for traveling somewhere - that's what travel agents do; she might even get a discount if she books through work.

Heck if she worked for an Airline, she could just bump someone from the flight, she certainly could force them to leave herself too....

Er... is it still too soon to mention the United fiasco?

54 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Hopefully Tedd would volunteer his information source.  Once he comes out of shock, he would need to validate everything Pandora told him.  Given the amount that Tedd and Ed are butting heads Tedd might use other means than telling his dad "hey, Dad?  And Immortal told me my mom is a monster hunter and everyone thought I was gonna be a wizard when I was born?" but might research the stuff himself and confront Ed Verres with the truth when he's sure.

If Edward doesn't walk in on them talking, I do wonder if Pandora is planning on having a chat with Edward. That'll probably be a fun conversation

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

If Edward doesn't walk in on them talking, I do wonder if Pandora is planning on having a chat with Edward. That'll probably be a fun conversation

Is Ed Verres "family" in Pandora's mind?

9 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

He'd have to be considering he's Tedd's dad. Pandora admits there was a falling out between him and Adrian, it's apparent that she originally blamed Edward for it, but she seemed to regret trying to get Edward to kill Abraham. She might also feel obligated to go to Edward and tell him what she meant by the Egg and Hawk. Pandora seems to be done with the games and is serious about setting things right, that has to include apologizing to Edward about how she treated him directly or indirectly.

4 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Also, sorry Tedd, but if your mom really is a travel agent for mundanes, then she's not visiting for Christmas because she doesn't want to (or Edward doesn't want her to). As a travel agent, she should be able to find the best deal for traveling somewhere - that's what travel agents do; she might even get a discount if she books through work. So, yeah. Not too expensive, that's just an excuse that you'll buy. Did it come from mom or dad? :(

"A falling out," huh? I wonder if Pandora knows what the falling out was...?

Yeah, this part.  Travel agent.  And never visiting because it's too expensive to visit, even for Christmas.  Okay, if someone was keeping her from visiting, like Edward, she might get a pass, but honestly, I don't see Edward doing that.  Seriously, never visiting your firstborn child and your cover career is travel agent.  This had to seriously eat at Tedd when he was old enough to suspect.  ARRGH!  As a parent, I just want to give Tedd a hug and give Noriko a good baleful glare.  Double-ARRGH!

I seriously suspect Pandora does know what the falling out was and probably knows exactly why Tedd's mom left.  Does she know about Noriko's other child(ren).  Probably.  Will she utilize her Immortal Power of Recappery and Exposition to bring Tedd up to speed with what could be the most painful revelations yet?  I dunno, would Blaike recommend ripping the band-aid off all at once?  And after all this, will Pandora be able to give Tedd a hug (doesn't seem like that is part of her palette of Immortal Powers, but maybe, being a quick learner, she'll give a Sarah hug to Tedd).

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

He'd have to be considering he's Tedd's dad. Pandora admits there was a falling out between him and Adrian, it's apparent that she originally blamed Edward for it, but she seemed to regret trying to get Edward to kill Abraham. She might also feel obligated to go to Edward and tell him what she meant by the Egg and Hawk. Pandora seems to be done with the games and is serious about setting things right, that has to include apologizing to Edward about how she treated him directly or indirectly.

The fact that she was willing to use ED Verres as a means to an end suggests he isn't considered family.  Or wasn't at the time.

11 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

The fact that she was willing to use ED Verres as a means to an end suggests he isn't considered family.  Or wasn't at the time.

11 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

To be fair that WAS when she was playing games/more mentality unstable/before her son knocked some sense into her.

On another note I'd love to create a webcomic, but I'd have to team up with someone to do the srt for me as I csn' draw worth crap.

1 minute ago, Vorlonagent said:

Pandora was angry with Edward because she thought he cut Adrian out of Tedd's life. But I don't believe Pandora has ever brought up Noriko. I may be channeling Agent Wolf now, but why is Noriko not dead now? A mother who deserts her own child? I think it's a reasonable conjecture that if Noriko didn't have another child, Noriko would be dead.

I wonder if Pandora spending more times with mortals would help to keep her sane? Sort of how everything seems brand new through the eyes of a child, and seeing something you've before along side someone who's never seen it before can often help you to appreciate it all over again 

1 hour ago, animalia said:

To be fair that WAS when she was playing games/more mentality unstable/before her son knocked some sense into her.

On another note I'd love to create a webcomic, but I'd have to team up with someone to do the srt for me as I csn' draw worth crap.

Howard Taylor's (Schlock Mercenary) advice to you would be to not wait until you find an artist.  Teach yourself how to draw.

Taylor had the idea for a SF webcomic in 1995 but waited on an artist friend who was never ready.  He finally decided to be his own artist and launched the comic in June, 2000.  He now makes a living for himself and family from it.

Skill if as much a function of enthusiasm and practice as it is "talent".  Go back and look at the very earliest Schlock Mercenary comics.  The art isn't great.  neither is the art for the earliest EGS strips.  But both are pretty nice today.

Edit: Freakonomics: How to become Great at Just About Anything.

2nd Edit: Writing Excuses: S5 Ep 12. Time Travel! (advice the podcasters would give their past selves)

37 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Skill if as much a function of enthusiasm and practice as it is "talent".  Go back and look at the very earliest Schlock Mercenary comics.  The art isn't great.  neither is the art for the earliest EGS strips.  But both are pretty nice today.

I'm not entirely sure the two comics can be compared like that, for  Schlock Mercenary, the art evolution was fairly subtle over the years, yet today's comic still has that hand drawn, newspaper style look to it that it did 17 years ago, with the only major differences being the shading and colour.

EGS has had very noticeable leaps in quality over 15 years that today's comic is not even in the same league as the first comic.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

I'm not entirely sure the two comics can be compared like that, for  Schlock Mercenary, the art evolution was fairly subtle over the years, yet today's comic still has that hand drawn, newspaper style look to it that it did 17 years ago, with the only major differences being the shading and colour.

EGS has had very noticeable leaps in quality over 15 years that today's comic is not even in the same league as the first comic.

The largest art evolution between inception and today that I know of it Questionable Content...

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

The largest art evolution between inception and today that I know of it Questionable Content...

Yeah that's gone through some pretty big changes as well.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And I think that Dan is preparing plot twist with Mrs. Kitsune knowing more than she pretends and her being awakened would match that more.

It's obvious she knows more that she lets on, but she can still know about her family being monster hunters and the existence of magic and probably even Adrian being an Elf, but she could still have refused to take part in any of it.

Therefore, "I think". It's not certain, it just seem like interesting possibility to me with nothing in canon contradicting it.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Mrs Kitsune is not unwilling to work for what she wants.  Pandora says she could have been a powerful Wizard if she tried.  To me this indicates that she does not WANT to be a Muenster Hunter.

She MIGHT've been different in past. But yes ... she doesn't want to be monster hunter. She may feel the responsibility to became one, but she definitely doesn't want.

Doesn't mean she doesn't want ANY magic. She may consider good idea to have some magic for protection of her family.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Noriko probably wasn't the first Mrs Kitsune's relatives to endanger or destroy their own lives, their families, and even their communities through the study and practice of the arcane arts.

On the other hand, the long family history suggests that they mostly went just fine :) - there would be no family otherwise.

9 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Many different cats out of one bag here. And if Tedd asks his father, I can see the conversation going like this:

"I told Nanase not to tell you!" >:(

"NANASE KNOWS?!?" D: "WHY AM I THE LAST ONE TO FIND OUT ABOUT THINGS I SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN TOLD??"

I would hope Edward has more diplomatic experience to if he assumes like this he will at least not say it out loud.

7 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Hopefully Tedd would volunteer his information source.  Once he comes out of shock, he would need to validate everything Pandora told him.  Given the amount that Tedd and Ed are butting heads Tedd might use other means than telling his dad "hey, Dad?  And Immortal told me my mom is a monster hunter and everyone thought I was gonna be a wizard when I was born?" but might research the stuff himself and confront Ed Verres with the truth when he's sure.

Pretty logical option would be to ask Adrian. Even if Adrian would be unwilling to answer, he wouldn't know how exactly he should lie to support Edward lies. But, Tedd could actually get partial confirmation from GRACE if he tries.

9 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Also, sorry Tedd, but if your mom really is a travel agent for mundanes, then she's not visiting for Christmas because she doesn't want to (or Edward doesn't want her to). As a travel agent, she should be able to find the best deal for traveling somewhere - that's what travel agents do; she might even get a discount if she books through work. So, yeah. Not too expensive, that's just an excuse that you'll buy. Did it come from mom or dad? :(

Good travel agent might actually SAVE MONEY by visiting family on Christmas. :) But ... maybe Noriko is not GOOD travel agent. Maybe she spends too much time monster hunting and can barely earn enough to survive as travel agent.

7 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Every good superhero needs a day job.  Noriko might be a great monster hunter because it works off the frustration of dealing with muggle problems all day.  Including, if she indeed looks very like Nanase, getting passes made at her regularly and not being able to kill the men making them.

... while that's possible, it raises question why NOT-TENGU is not dead. If she would be working off her frustration, most monsters she hunts would end up dead.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And considering that web services have been killing off travel agencies much like Netflix killed Blockbuster for years now, Dan just might have picked that cover for Noriko for precisely the same reason as Mel Brooks made Maxwell Smart as a spy posing as a greeting card salesman: implausibility.

Unless he had that job chosen for her for years.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Pandora must have seen Mama Kitsune's potential, but the "if she tried" part sounds like Mama Kitsune didn't try to reach her magic potential, Raven might have tried but if she refused to take direction in that subject then she likely didn't awaken

Wizards awaken?

Considering wizards are specifically those who can learn other people's spells after they awaken ... definitely.

There's no evidence of Mamase having a career other than homemaker and mother. Nanase definitely had and has a career. I think it fairly likely, under the circumstances, that Mamase married young (fresh out of high school or maybe college) and had a kid soon after, while Noriko waited before reproducing... which would mean that Noriko is the older of the two.

I would say out of college, but otherwise agree. (Or maybe married in college and have child immediately afterwards).

I'd point out that not being as powerful a wizard as Noriko, doesn't mean she isn't a wizard or - even more generally - can't do magic.

... I was trying to tell that several times ...

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

That may be true, except it's possible Edward is not ON Pandora's mind at all. Pandora has lot of things to do and may not be trying to make list of all who should she apologize ...

4 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Seriously, never visiting your firstborn child and your cover career is travel agent.  This had to seriously eat at Tedd when he was old enough to suspect.

May be one of reasons why he prefers to not think about it.

I dunno, would Blaike recommend ripping the band-aid off all at once?

I don't think Blaike knew what a band-aid is. Actually, Band-Aid was invented in 1920, so he definitely didn't.

And after all this, will Pandora be able to give Tedd a hug (doesn't seem like that is part of her palette of Immortal Powers, but maybe, being a quick learner, she'll give a Sarah hug to Tedd).

Would Tedd be able to accept that hug?

I think he would prefer hug from Grace.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Pandora was angry with Edward because she thought he cut Adrian out of Tedd's life. But I don't believe Pandora has ever brought up Noriko. I may be channeling Agent Wolf now, but why is Noriko not dead now? A mother who deserts her own child? I think it's a reasonable conjecture that if Noriko didn't have another child, Noriko would be dead.

Well, legendary monster hunter and Pandora can't act directly? Or there is some reason why Pandora is more willing to forgive Noriko than Edward? Or Adrian forced her to vow to not take revenge on Noriko? Actually, it would make lot of sense for him to try that, although I'm not sure why would Pandora accept.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

My art is NOWHERE NEAR as good as those. It is like kindergartener at BEST

Edited by animalia
spelling

3 minutes ago, animalia said:

Is it at least as good as this? :)

I would definitely expect that there are more people with ideas for webcomics than artists, so getting someone would be hard (or not cheap). You should at least try so you can appreciate how hard the drawing is.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I guess, but I would NOT feel comfortable posting that level of art online. On the plus side I have been working on a campaign comic.

1 minute ago, animalia said:
3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I guess, but I would NOT feel comfortable posting that level of art online

That's much worse problems than inability to draw well. If you want to make webcomics, I mean.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's much worse problems than inability to draw well. If you want to make webcomics, I mean.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's why for now I am mainly focusing on a campaign comic.(Do you know what that means or do you need a definition) Since that allows me to use screencaps from anime to tell my story, I can use my limited knowledge of photoshop to do the job. Even so I often have problems. And I am currently having hold-ups trying to figure out weather or not I need to edit and reupload the latest page do to difficulties that occurred when I resized the image in order to make it fit the hosts recommended maximum image size that made it hard for one guest to read the text. In any case the campaign comic is caused JoJo's Bizarre Roleplay and is hosted on comicfury if you want to check it out. I am afraid I am still on the Enter Dio Arc though.

19 minutes ago, animalia said:

Every artist, no matter how good or talented, once scribbled like a kindergartner. 

The Freaonomics podcast I linked to upthread tells, among other things, about a researcher to decided to test how well the idea of anybody being able to learn just about anything by digging up and trying to achieve her childhood dream of being a power-ballad sort of singer.  It took her a year and a half of practice, maybe vocal lessons, I don't remember, but she achieved it.

If you want to do the webcomic and you're willing to work on the art-side of things, you CAN do it.  No matter how bad your starting point.

8 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Every artist, no matter how good or talented, once scribbled like a kindergartner. 

The Freaonomics podcast I linked to upthread tells, among other things, about a researcher to decided to test how well the idea of anybody being able to learn just about anything by digging up and trying to achieve her childhood dream of being a power-ballad sort of singer.  It took her a year and a half of practice, maybe vocal lessons, I don't remember, but she achieved it.

If you want to do the webcomic and you're willing to work on the art-side of things, you CAN do it.  No matter how bad your starting point.

To be fair, it's less that I want to dry and more that I'd rather create a manga (or at least a web comic in the style of one) than a novel. If that wasn't clear enough, what I mean is not only CAN'T I draw but I really have little interest in creating the pictures MYSELF. That being said I DO like the way pictures can bring a story to life and I would prefer to team up with a talented artist (though not the norm you do see examples of this in Japan, To-Love-Ru, Death Note, Hikaru No Go) then write an out and out novel. Does this make sense?

Edited by animalia
Spelling

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Blaike knew what a band-aid is. Actually, Band-Aid was invented in 1920, so he definitely didn't.

Band-aids are supposed to have been invented by a man who married a woman who was always cutting her fingers in the kitchen. I guess he never figured out she was cutting herself in hopes he'd offer to try his own hand in the kitchen.

8 hours ago, animalia said:

I wonder if Pandora spending more times with mortals would help to keep her sane? Sort of how everything seems brand new through the eyes of a child, and seeing something you've [seen] before alongside someone who's never seen it before can often help you to appreciate it all over again 

Amy: Then why am I here?

The Doctor: Because...Because I can't see it anymore...

Amy: See what?

The Doctor: I'm 907.  After a while you just can't see it anymore.

The Doctor: Everything.  I look at a star and it's just a big ball of burning gas, and I know how it began, I know how it ends... and I was probably there both times.  You know, after a while, everything is just stuff.  That's the problem, you make all of space and time your backyard and what do you have?  A backyard.  But you, you can see it.  And when you see it, I see it.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Amy: Then why am I here?

The Doctor: Because...Because I can't see it anymore...

The Doctor: I'm 907.  After a while you just can't see it anymore.

The Doctor: Everything.  I look at a star and it's just a big ball of burning gas, and I know how it began, I know how it ends... and I was probably there both times.  You know, after a while, everything is just stuff.  That's the problem, you make all of space and time your backyard and what do you have?  A backyard.  But you, you can see it.  And when you see it, I see it.

It's times like this I wish Dan read the forums. I'd tweet him our idea about Pandora but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get it, as he seems to be blocking tweets from people he's not familiar with.