• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Monday April 4, 2016

Becoming more persuasive through drinking alcohol is really silly, I really don't understand what the devs where thinking there. As anybody knows, you tend to get less persuasive when drunk. Usually when you are trying to persuade someone through alcohol it's by getting them drunk, not yourself.

Also, isn't this the first time we seen Grace (or any of the main castmember) drinking? Granted it is only in a video game fantasy sequence, so it doesn't really count.

1 hour ago, Sweveham said:

Becoming more persuasive through drinking alcohol is really silly, I really don't understand what the devs where thinking there. As anybody knows, you tend to get less persuasive when drunk. Usually when you are trying to persuade someone through alcohol it's by getting them drunk, not yourself.

This is one of my strong personal dislikes: when alcohol is somehow made out to be something funny or positive without bad effects. I am not commenting on Dan here -- he is merely portraying an element of the game -- but it is a trope that never fails to irritate me.

40 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

Also, isn't this the first time we seen Grace (or any of the main castmember) drinking? Granted it is only in a video game fantasy sequence, so it doesn't really count.

Would you count Ellen's second life alternate as a main cast member drinking? I mean Ellen has the memories of getting drunk so she's probably the only one.  Though I could see Mr and Mrs Dunkel allowing Ellen and Elliot to drink the odd beer if it's at home and they don't plan on going anywhere, same with Justin's dad probably. We know how Mama Kitsune feels about it and she might be ok with it too as long as Nanase didn't hide the fact from her. Edward likely wouldn't want Tedd and Grace drinking for various reasons, and Sarah's parents might not either. Not sure how Susan's mom would feel about her drinking though.

19 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

This is one of my strong personal dislikes: when alcohol is somehow made out to be something funny or positive without bad effects. I am not commenting on Dan here -- he is merely portraying an element of the game -- but it is a trope that never fails to irritate me.

Yeah, I dislike that too. As someone who grew with a drinking father, I know the horrors of alcohol all too well.

And now I realize what the game developers were thinking: they probably believe the "alcohol makes you more social" trope. That annoys me very much, because it is simply not true, end of story.

On alcohol and Susan's mom, the first time that we see Susan's mom (in Night Out), she is carrying around a half-filled cocktail glass. This implies that she is known to drink without need for a social occasion, but seems to prefer wines and cocktails over beer or hard liquor.

10 minutes ago, ijuin said:

On alcohol and Susan's mom, the first time that we see Susan's mom (in Night Out), she is carrying around a half-filled cocktail glass. This implies that she is known to drink without need for a social occasion, but seems to prefer wines and cocktails over beer or hard liquor.

Well yeah, but she might not want Susan drinking until she's at least 21. Then again she does seem to spoil Susan (getting her on the France trip for example), so she probably lets Susan do whatever she wants.

1 hour ago, Sweveham said:

"alcohol makes you more social"

...yeah, that's not how alchohol works at all. It doesn't make people universally social, it weakens their inhibitions and shuffles around their motivations.

how those changes manifest depends on the person, their mood, and how much they drank, and can be almost anything including; thinking everything is inexplicably hilarious (me apparently, I'm told i'm prone to giggling like a deranged lunatic when I drink), hitting on everything in sight, becoming the undisputed lord of snarky comments, deciding the entire world is your enemy and taking it out on whoever's closest, suddenly becoming everybody's friend, to throwing todler-esqe tantrums, just to name the reactions I've seen in person.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

If anything he's drawing attention to how ridiculous it is

6 hours ago, Sweveham said:

Yeah, I dislike that too. As someone who grew with a drinking father, I know the horrors of alcohol all too well.

And now I realize what the game developers were thinking: they probably believe the "alcohol makes you more social" trope. That annoys me very much, because it is simply not true, end of story.

Alcohol does make me more social, but that's more of a removing the inhibitions that make it difficult for me to be social than actually improving my interpersonal skills. And there's a limited window between 'enough to relax my social anxiety' and 'so much I start acting like an idiot.' (Though from what people tell me I'm at least an entertaining idiot)

The sad thing is that drinking is all too often portrayed as either this awesome thing that makes you more social and fun, or this horrible thing that either turns you into an arsehole and has no redeeming features. The truth is, as so many truths are, somewhere in the middle.

20 hours ago, partner555 said:

That actually works?

Also, who are the bounties generally on? If it's mostly crooks, Grace may have inadvertently made things worse.

I would guess that the one he is bounty hunting JUST NOW is either Grace or someone she needs to progress in game. Maybe the guy from previous strip?

6 hours ago, Sweveham said:

It sort of works if everybody is drinking ... but not at all if only you do.

5 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

thinking everything is inexplicably hilarious (me apparently, I'm told i'm prone to giggling like a deranged lunatic when I drink)

... you need to drink for that?

4 hours ago, Wildcat said:
7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

If anything he's drawing attention to how ridiculous it is

I still don't consider it most ridiculous thing ... at least until you add that apparently you can get better in persuading ROBOTS by drinking. And wearing sexy clothing.

... also, CONSUME copies of a particular book? Like, really eat them?

55 minutes ago, Ser Pentrose said:

Alcohol does make me more social, but that's more of a removing the inhibitions that make it difficult for me to be social than actually improving my interpersonal skills. And there's a limited window between 'enough to relax my social anxiety' and 'so much I start acting like an idiot.' (Though from what people tell me I'm at least an entertaining idiot)

The sad thing is that drinking is all too often portrayed as either this awesome thing that makes you more social and fun, or this horrible thing that either turns you into an arsehole and has no redeeming features. The truth is, as so many truths are, somewhere in the middle.

well, I would argue that sometimes it's one of those two things, and usually it's somewhere in between or off on some tangent.

The thing that annoys me about alcohol is people think I need to go out and get drunk. I already know I can't hold alcohol, I don't like being buzzed, and me getting drunk will probably either result in me falling asleep, or acting like a lunatic. Why would I want to do that?

2 hours ago, Ser Pentrose said:

Anecdotally*, 95% of the time it's the latter. Very rare for me to experience anything anywhere close to the middle, much less the former. And the ones that start out in the middle veer sharply towards the end by the time the day/night is through. Intellectually I know that the majority of the time it's in the vagueries of the middle, my life just doesn't come close to reflecting it at aaaallll.

*note that this is a mere 25 years of experience, so...keep my relatively young age in mind here. Also, much like Hack and Sweveham, I grew up in a family with an alcoholic in power (Step-dad, in my case).

Well, to play devil's advocate for a moment, i would put the most common occurrences in my experience as silly and/or idiotic when drunk, that are somewhere in the gray area between friendly and hostile. 

save for my stepmother, my entire family drinks. ranging from 'special ocasions only' (my father), to "I rarely see you without at least a beer" (My brother), yet I've only met one, maybe two people i would ever consider to be angry, mean, dangerous, or unstable drunks, and they were both complete strangers.

3 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Well, to play devil's advocate for a moment

Don't. Just... don't. When people have had a very bad experience with something, the last thing they need is someone telling them that it isn't all bad just because they had their lives badly damaged or ruined. Trust me on this.

I've never been drunk in my so-far thirty-odd years of life and I have no desire ever to become so. Not that I'm militantly against other people drinking, mind you--I just have no desire for alcohol myself. It probably helps that I find the taste and smell of most alcoholic beverages to be absolutely foul.

13 hours ago, Wildcat said:

well, I would argue that sometimes it's one of those two things, and usually it's somewhere in between or off on some tangent.

The thing that annoys me about alcohol is people think I need to go out and get drunk. I already know I can't hold alcohol, I don't like being buzzed, and me getting drunk will probably either result in me falling asleep, or acting like a lunatic. Why would I want to do that?

Yeah, you certainly don't need to go out and drink. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks it's a need rather than something some people enjoy. I also had a WTF moment when I learned that the mental health ward at a nearby hospital doesn't have hand sanitiser because some people were so desperate for alcohol that they were drinking the stuff. I can't help but feel sorry for people who are that far gone.

15 hours ago, Ser Pentrose said:

Of course, alcohol, like any drug, has it's benefits, otherwise people wouldn't drink it. No one denies this. For many, the intoxicating effect is simply enjoyable. It is a way of satisfying the human need for fun and escapism.

What I argue is that alcohol is one of the worse ways to satisfy this need. It is inherently risky and often destroys both mind and body.

Drinking compares badly to other, better ways of having fun, which range from talking with friends to reading books to playing video games. You will tend to be happier without alcohol. So yeah, I wouldn't recommend it.