• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story, Monday July 17, 2017

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I want to write something about Noriko back then but it would emerge purely in the form of obscenities and pejoratives. So I am withholding my opinion for now, hoping that new information will emerge that will make me despise her less.

Right now it does seem that Edward is the better parent, even if he does have issues with Tedd's gender fluidness.

Just now, animalia said:

Shoud I bring back the Hugs For Tedd And Bitch-Slaps For Noriko Foundation?

Let's stick to hugs for Tedd. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on Noriko. But she better hope that the defence has some damned good arguments and that the prosecution takes a nice, deserved and above all long rest.

7 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I want to write something about Noriko back then but it would emerge purely in the form of obscenities and pejoratives. So I am withholding my opinion for now, hoping that new information will emerge that will make me despise her less.

I think Pandora is also thinking the same though, like "this doesn't excuse how your mother treated you."

The fact they they didn't know that Tedd was a Seer, and that even as a baby he had the power to resist scary sounding wand, doesn't instantly relieve them of wrongdoing. Edward might have just scanned once and left it at that, but Noriko basically tormented Tedd.

It'd be like a nature photographer trying to get pictures of animals acting naturally while being in their face the whole time, they're not going to get natural acting that way.

8 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Let's stick to hugs for Tedd. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on Noriko. But she better hope that the defence has some damned good arguments and that the prosecution takes a nice, deserved and above all long rest.

I must confess there is a part of me that hopes she doesn't have an excuse. Simply because I would love to see Teed call her out on all the (insert expletive here) she put him through, and sympathy we feel for her would dampen the catharsis.

"Well, they tested it first on your neighbour's dog three times, then they tested it again on you three times also."

Now then, is his resistance hereditary/destined?

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think Pandora is also thinking the same though, like "this doesn't excuse how your mother treated you."

I can sadly see this line being used against her and Adrian, though.

5 minutes ago, Stature said:

"Well, they tested it first on your neighbour's dog three times, then they tested it again on you three times also."

Now then, is his resistance hereditary/destined?

I can sadly see this line being used against her and Adrian, though.

What did Adrian do?

Dang, so he straight up resisted the wand.  So just as Pandora said, he has power galore but has to empower a wand to be able to cast a spell?  Unless it's his mark, I guess.  Does that mean he started out awakened or does that not even make sense for him?

As for Noriko, I am angry at what she did, but sad for her and Tedd.  She missed out on getting to know Tedd and Tedd grew up thinking he was no good.  But if Noriko isn't ready to see Tedd's value beyond being a wizard, he is better off without her in his life. 

Also, Tedd seems to be taking this better than his father feared.  Or is he going to freak out later when he has more time to process.  Additionally, he seems to have gotten over his fear of Pandora, or at least he seems more comfortable.

20 minutes ago, animalia said:

On another note I REALLY hope the death flags we are getting for Pandora turn out to be a red herring and she just gets badly wounded instead.

Likewise, partly because being able to anticipate that sort of thing and be proven correct makes a story more boring.

58 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Also, Tedd seems to be taking this better than his father feared.  Or is he going to freak out later when he has more time to process.  Additionally, he seems to have gotten over his fear of Pandora, or at least he seems more comfortable.

Tedd has one bit of knowledge that Mr. Verres doesn't. Tedd now knows that the potential measuring wand failed. It has changed the equation. Also, to be fair to Mr. Verres, what he feared was a worst case scenario. He might not have assumed it would happen automatically, he just didn't want to run the risk.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

It'd be like a nature photographer trying to get pictures of animals acting naturally while being in their face the whole time, they're not going to get natural acting that way.

If you annoy animals enough, you are likely to get the most natural of all reactions

7 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Tedd has one bit of knowledge that Mr. Verres doesn't. Tedd now knows that the potential measuring wand failed. It has changed the equation.

I never understood the comment at the time, but when Sarah started working with Tedd, he confessed that one of his great fears was that his parents might have been wrong about him.

2 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Dang, so he straight up resisted the wand.  So just as Pandora said, he has power galore but has to empower a wand to be able to cast a spell?  Unless it's his mark, I guess.  Does that mean he started out awakened or does that not even make sense for him?

Maybe he got fear-induced awakening from the wand?

But, yes: this time Dan managed to totally surprise me. All the speculations about seers being undetectable or whatever and he just resisted the spell. And Adrian apparently didn't tried his own detecting abilities on him ever. Unless he did and him not telling Noriko is why he's blaming himself for the breakup.

BTW, I'm not surprised he resisted in later tries. I'm surprised he already resisted first time.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
3 hours ago, animalia said:

Shoud I bring back the Hugs For Tedd And Bitch-Slaps For Noriko Foundation?

... while I agree, I don't see why current page would change anything about Noriko.

2 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Or he already snapped. This reaction of his doesn't seem natural to me ... still, better than what Edward predicted. Hopefully.

6 hours ago, chridd said:

I guessed last year that Tedd resisted the wand (among many other guesses)!  Do I get a cookie?

For some reason this makes me imagine the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld go "No Cookie For You!"

Despite imagining that, I honestly don't see why not.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

She was literally torturing her infant child because he did not turn out like she had hoped, left the continent and likely never came back causing said son to have abandonment issues so bad that 2 of his friends breaking up triggered them. Heck, given Mrs. Kitsune's hatred for her I half think the "to expensive to visit" line is Edward covering up the truth, as there is no way that is true unless she is living in poverty. 

This would be akin to a mother abandoning her kid because he had brown hair instead of blond. 

Noriko deserved allot of abuse, and that she still has not tried to mend the gap after at least 15 years, probably 17+, means it is not just the Noriko of back then. 

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe he got fear-induced awakening from the wand?

That depends if he already had some "innate magic" as a child, start of his Middle/High School life, tops. If not, my first guess was during the card tourney, but that still does not feel right.

4 hours ago, animalia said:

For some reason this makes me imagine the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld go "No Cookie For You!"

"Cookies are for Closers."

If Noriko just couldn't get past Tedd's "magical impairment", to the point that she was scanning him so many times he developed a complex about it....then leaving may have been the best thing she could do for him.  Better to be raised by one parent who could accept and support him, than to have a second parent in his life who was constantly disappointed in him and unable to hide the fact.  Adrian may even have been the one who eventually told her this, thus being the reason there was no chance of Noriko and Edward reconciling -- because it would have been at Tedd's expense if they had.  It's easy enough to say "Noriko should have just gotten over it and accepted Tedd as (she thought) he was, but if she just couldn't do it, then better to go.