• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story, Monday July 17, 2017

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Also, to be fair to Mr. Verres, what he feared was a worst case scenario. He might not have assumed it would happen automatically, he just didn't want to run the risk.

To be fair as well, if he didn't know about Seers (or maybe knew of them but not a lot of details) he wouldn't have had any reason to think that Tedd not registering on the wand was due to extreme resistance, and that Seers could exhibit such power even as an infant. It could have been assumed that Seers manifest their abilities when they were older.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I never understood the comment at the time, but when Sarah started working with Tedd, he confessed that one of his great fears was that his parents might have been wrong about him.

Yeah, Sarah comments were probably the closes to getting Tedd to realizing the truth back then.

Basically "if you can resist this stuff easily, what if you were resisting the wand?"

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

If Noriko just couldn't get past Tedd's "magical impairment", to the point that she was scanning him so many times he developed a complex about it....then leaving may have been the best thing she could do for him.  Better to be raised by one parent who could accept and support him, than to have a second parent in his life who was constantly disappointed in him and unable to hide the fact.  Adrian may even have been the one who eventually told her this, thus being the reason there was no chance of Noriko and Edward reconciling -- because it would have been at Tedd's expense if they had.  It's easy enough to say "Noriko should have just gotten over it and accepted Tedd as (she thought) he was, but if she just couldn't do it, then better to go.

Unfortunately, I kind of agree.  But it's still an awful situation.  Tedd without a mother, thinking she left because he wasn't good enough (there is a conversation between he must have overheard as a child that led to him coming to that conclusion, at least I hope it was that and not Noriko saying something to him directly), or Tedd with a mother who either considers him not good enough or perhaps, crippled in some way, too vulnerable to keep in her life.  She needed some serious counseling and I do confess to looking forward to seeing her reaction to discovering Tedd is a seer/wandmaker.

Also, I wanted to address this bringing-Tedd-up-to-speed episode.  I know that at times, I have grumbled (hopefully not too loudly) at the pace of important reveals to various people, especially Tedd, but honestly, without the build-up, these reveals wouldn't have had the dramatic impact.  I mean, literally years in the making.  And now, Pow, Tedd knows and we are shocked, surprised, elated that he knows the truth, want to give him hugs for the pain he's been through.  Really, the drama in these scenes has been well earned.  Kudos to Dan.

I'm very worried about Tedd's reaction in panel seven. Not just because of his potential mental state, but because I don't think Pandora is the right person to help him through it. She knows someone who would be... but she might not think of calling Sarah until it's too late.

Darnitol,

The idea that Tedd's inherent magic resistance is so high that the Scary Detector Wand gives a False-Negative reading does nothing to support my idea that Tedd may be a larval immortal.

It doesn't eliminate the possibility.  It just does not support it.

Until we see Tedd die and stay dead, I am holding on to the "Tedd is/will be an immortal" conjecture.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

1 hour ago, CNash said:

I'm very worried about Tedd's reaction in panel seven. Not just because of his potential mental state, but because I don't think Pandora is the right person to help him through it. She knows someone who would be... but she might not think of calling Sarah until it's too late.

Maybe she will take a page from Sarah's book and give him a hug?

7 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Heck, given Mrs. Kitsune's hatred for her I half think the "to expensive to visit" line is Edward covering up the truth, as there is no way that is true unless she is living in poverty. 

Or there are additional expenses. It costs more if you need to visit without NSA knowledge, for example. Or ... remember how Napoleon wanted to visit Moscow? It cost him 400000 soldiers! Definitively expensive.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:
5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

If Noriko just couldn't get past Tedd's "magical impairment", to the point that she was scanning him so many times he developed a complex about it....then leaving may have been the best thing she could do for him.  Better to be raised by one parent who could accept and support him, than to have a second parent in his life who was constantly disappointed in him and unable to hide the fact.  Adrian may even have been the one who eventually told her this, thus being the reason there was no chance of Noriko and Edward reconciling -- because it would have been at Tedd's expense if they had.  It's easy enough to say "Noriko should have just gotten over it and accepted Tedd as (she thought) he was, but if she just couldn't do it, then better to go.

Unfortunately, I kind of agree.  But it's still an awful situation.  Tedd without a mother, thinking she left because he wasn't good enough (there is a conversation between he must have overheard as a child that led to him coming to that conclusion, at least I hope it was that and not Noriko saying something to him directly), or Tedd with a mother who either considers him not good enough or perhaps, crippled in some way, too vulnerable to keep in her life.  She needed some serious counseling and I do confess to looking forward to seeing her reaction to discovering Tedd is a seer/wandmaker.

Apparently, the shortage of counsellors is longterm ; Noriko didn't get any, Tedd didn't get any, Susan didn't get any, Grace didn't get any ...

(Note: It seems it didn't take so long for Tedd to develop complex from the scanning. But yes, if she wouldn't be able to raise him it's better if she's not around. Also, I suspect there really are some good reasons why she can't visit even on Christmas ...)

1 hour ago, CNash said:

I'm not sure why you think Sarah would be better than Grace for helping him. In any case, Grace is MUCH CLOSER and her parents wouldn't object to her going to hug a boy in middle of night (because they are all dead).

16 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Until we see Tedd die and stay dead, I am holding on to the "Tedd is/will be an immortal" conjecture.

While the idea that this becomes multigeneration saga, current main characters will be replaced by their children and later their children and we get to the point main characters starts dying of old age is appalling, I think it would take thousands of years to get there. Although you might be used to such waits ...

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
8 minutes ago, animalia said:

Maybe she will take a page from Sarah's book and give him a hug?

Tedd's collapsed on the couch. That makes hugging kind of awkward.

Pandora can pass through the couch. Will that make it more or less awkward?

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Apparently, the shortage of counsellors is longterm ; Noriko didn't get any, Tedd didn't get any, Susan didn't get any, Grace didn't get any ...

Are we sure Edward never got Grace any damned counseling?  Could it have been off-panel, perhaps during a time-skip?

In any case, Grace is MUCH CLOSER and her parents wouldn't object to her going to hug a boy in middle of night (because they are all dead).

Do we know that for certain?  Did we ever learn anything about her lepusko parent?

4 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Are we sure Edward never got Grace any damned counseling?  Could it have been off-panel, perhaps during a time-skip?

We know Edward oversaw psychological testing on Grace.  Perhaps the standard questionnaire indicated that she didn't need formal counseling?

7 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Did we ever learn anything about her lepusko parent?

The only "family" we know for sure she met were others in the "nest" including the Human Dr Sciuridae and the Uryuom Mr Guyur.  She may or may not know the specifics of any other person involved with her genetic make-up.

I'm not sure why you think Sarah would be better than Grace for helping him. In any case, Grace is MUCH CLOSER and her parents wouldn't object to her going to hug a boy in middle of night (because they are all dead).

Grace considers Edward the closest to a father she has at the moment, and she does have a living grandfather in Dr. Scuiridae. Still Grace is known to be very quiet and she can sneak down for hugs anytime.

Just speculating but I wonder if Pandora feels responsible for Tedd's mother leaving him, and if so if she will apologize to Tedd for it.

As for why Pandora might feel this way, again just speculating, but we know Adrian blames himself for Noriko prioritizing her career over family. Probably because Adrian always wanted to help the world but was limited in the way he could because of his nature. And that drive to help the world rubbed of on Noriko in an unhealthy way.

Now what if at least some of the reason Aidrian wants to help the world so much is because of the way he and is mother interacted. We already know that when Blaike, Aidrian's father died Pandora did NOT take it well. From what we can tell Blake was killed protecting normal people against werewolves, and Pandora since wiped werewolves off the face of the earth. This despite the fact that they were just, as Adrian pointed out, normal people suffering a curse. Speaking of normal people with the exception of family and friends of said family Pandora didn't look to kindly on them either. She probably blamed them for Blaike's death do to the fact that Blaike had gotten killed trying save them. It takes Adrian pointing out that Blaike would hate what Pandora has become to finally snap some sense into her.

My point is this. What if one of the main reasons Adrian wanted/ wants to be so involved with the world and help people is out of a longing to prove to his mother that his father was right. That his life, even his death had a purpose.

The side effect of this is just as Aidrian blames himself for Noriko abandoning Tedd because of the pressure he put on her, Pandora would in turn blame herself because of the pressure she but on Adrian.

Anyways I am just speculating here. Let me know what you think.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or there are additional expenses. It costs more if you need to visit without NSA knowledge, for example. Or ... remember how Napoleon wanted to visit Moscow? It cost him 400000 soldiers! Definitively expensive.

His own fault for insisting on going in the wintertime. I have no sympathy.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Do we know that for certain?  Did we ever learn anything about her lepusko parent?

Also, her grandfather  is still around and occasionally checking up on her.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Much more, I think, given how Tedd reacted to Pandora walking through that table. I think Pandora's best hug-strategy is to take form as a small winged fairy and hug Tedd like Nase hugged Sarah.

------

I wrote the response above last night, but forgot to send it. Nothing like starting my day with another head-slap.

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Technically, no, but I would consider it noteworthy.

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

(because they are all dead).

Right. We don't know if that one is dead.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Grace considers Edward the closest to a father she has at the moment, and she does have a living grandfather in Dr. Scuiridae. Still Grace is known to be very quiet and she can sneak down for hugs anytime.

I think Edward already gave up trying to prevent Grace and Tedd hugging.

Meanwhile, we don't know what is Sarah's parents opinion on Tedd.

15 hours ago, animalia said:

The side effect of this is just as Aidrian blames himself for Noriko abandoning Tedd because of the pressure he put on her, Pandora would in turn blame herself because of the pressure she but on Adrian.

Well, so far she only apologized for not being there for Tedd. It's possible she didn't make the connection yet - she's not good in connecting stuff like this.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Much more, I think, given how Tedd reacted to Pandora walking through that table. I think Pandora's best hug-strategy is to take form as a small winged fairy and hug Tedd like Nase hugged Sarah.

Not sure if Tedd's reaction was to Pandora walking through that table or to her getting closer in general.

But that fairy hug idea is very good.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure if Tedd's reaction was to Pandora walking through that table or to her getting closer in general.

First time meeting an immortal... I think walking through the table wasn't helping. Apart from the "space whale" this is the first supernatural being he has met, and having her walk though the table probably had him thinking about ghosts and spirits, maybe even vampires rather than immortals at first.

3 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Apart from the "space whale" this is the first supernatural being he has met

Um, no. You're forgetting Voltaire a mere five days ago, Moperville time.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Meanwhile, we don't know what is Sarah's parents opinion on Tedd.

We've never seen Sarah's mom, and I think we've only seen her dad a couple times very early on but nothing recent.

I gotta wonder how Sarah explained her summer job to them, if they even demanded she get a summer job.

A bit of a tangent here. But in terms of cast members with jobs, Justin, Grace and Susan seems to have part time jobs all year, Justin and Grace obviously working at the comic shop together, and Susan working at the video store. Nanase is probably assumed to be on call for babysitting all year as well with Summer being busier. So that leaves Elliot mainly working during the Summer at the video store but getting a smaller income through the year for doing the video review show with Susan, Sarah "working" (in quotes because she's not getting paid money) for Tedd, Tedd's technically self employed with his research but living off an allowance, and Ellen who was given the summer free to do what she wanted.

30 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:
43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

First time meeting an immortal... I think walking through the table wasn't helping. Apart from the "space whale" this is the first supernatural being he has met, and having her walk though the table probably had him thinking about ghosts and spirits, maybe even vampires rather than immortals at first.

Tedd likely knows about vampires from Susan's description and walking through stuff was not included.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I gotta wonder how Sarah explained her summer job to them, if they even demanded she get a summer job.

Very good question.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sarah "working" (in quotes because she's not getting paid money)

She is being paid in unimaginable power. She already got multiple watches from it. Of course, they have limited resell value ...

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Tedd's technically self employed with his research but living off an allowance

His allowance MIGHT been classified as salary in DGB's records :)

54 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Second, at least his second...

41 minutes ago, Scotty said:

There is may be some indication that Sarah's parents are aware of the kind of things Tedd gets into in what they required for that trip with Susan and Grace. Also, they might have just noticed when Tedd turned Sarah into a catgirl who could only say "meow". Like Nanase's mom, they might be pretending they don't know what's really going on.

33 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

There is may be some indication that Sarah's parents are aware of the kind of things Tedd gets into in what they required for that trip with Susan and Grace.

They insisted on someone who is over 18 ... what that indicates?

Also, they might have just noticed when Tedd turned Sarah into a catgirl who could only say "meow".

... if they noticed, why didn't they excused her from school? We don't know how long the incident took ; maybe they didn't noticed.

Like Nanase's mom, they might be pretending they don't know what's really going on.

Nanase's mom both knows much more and hides much more.

(Although, she might not lie in this case ; seriously, paranormal diplomacy? That's not easy-to-understand job description ... :))

Well, so far she only apologized for not being there for Tedd. It's possible she didn't make the connection yet - she's not good in connecting stuff like this.

The key phrase is SO FAR. She might be about to apologize for this as well for all we know.