• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
HarJIT

Story: 2016, April 4th (Monday)

A lot of the spells shown thus far react to subconscious control, the cellphone functions could be the same way. he doesn't need to train them because he's not consciously in control of them, they're operating entirely on instinct.

Yeah, there seems to be a theme with a lot of these spells just requiring the intent to do something, which is pretty much how a lot of these spells can be used on accident without people knowing they had them to begin with. Though many spells also require some degree of concentration to master, like Elliot's morphing, it's easy for him to change into some random female, but to change into a specific female form requires more that just the intent.

2 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Will he be able to use this to cheat on tests?

This is way too many teenage boys dreams come true, to be able to infiltrate and record the goings on of the female washrooms.

And this is totally wasted on Elliot, the perfect boyscout... It's a good thing Tedd has matured or he'd have gone ballistic finding out about this, and then having Elliot refuse to use it to it's full potential (as defined by a frustrated teenage boy).

Sigh, I was wrong again. It's starting to get embarrassing. Maybe I shouldn't make so many assumptions from now on, or then I just really didn't want Cheerleadra to become a cyborg and therefore convinced myself that it would be impossible. I should have known better.

Anyway... I suppose this doesn't make her too OP. She has all the powers of a smart phone now, but that doesn't make her a better fighter. She still needs to practice fighting in air, landing etc. It's kinda disappointing that we KNOW that Cheerleadra is more powerful and sturdy than regular Elliot, but she still hasn't had a real chance to show that in battle. She really needs to beat up some villains soon without anyone getting in her way. Maybe she should take over the role of Moperville's vampire hunter until Susan and Diane are properly trained.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I'd bet against his being able to drive with the car keys absorbed into his body. The ignition switch in his car has a mechanical component - you have to physically move things around, and the shape of the key sets cams to the point where that's possible.

Most smartphones are purely electronic devices. The few physical switches are momentary-contact things that don't DO something, they just ASK THE SOFTWARE to do something. (Which is why each of them can do several different things depending on context - the software has to decide what that button-push means right now.) In most cases there are other ways to ask the software to do the same thing - the most common exception being "turn on".

Well, aren't there cars that just turn on via a button on the key now, rather than turning the key? I know that my dad's pickup you don't turn the key in: You push a button. But that one requires the key being plugged into the slot. No turning though, just button. Pretty sure I've heard of ones that work at a distance.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

IIRC there's a Minecraft port to android/iOS as well...

It's not quite a port. They're actually versions built from the ground up for those environments, without using any of the Java PC codebase, from what I remember. But yes, Minecraft: Pocket Edition is def a thing.

3 hours ago, NaYa said:

Elliot better get to reading his magic skill book as soon as he gets home...

I wonder if he can take pictures and record videos too...

lolnope

Magic skill books are apparently a 'check rarely if at all' rather than the obviously illogical 'check the thing that is the manual for eventual Phenomenal Cosmic Power incessantly and constantly' that I would do.

On cheating on tests... I feel that he'd have trouble transforming into Cheerleadra whilst in school for an exam. As this is really a side effect of the 'disguise' aspect of his power.

However, since EGS magicverse works on the "you use it you keep it, you don't you'll weep for it" logic, so maybe he can use this effect whilst in his regular form later.

4 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

Well, aren't there cars that just turn on via a button on the key now, rather than turning the key? I know that my dad's pickup you don't turn the key in: You push a button. But that one requires the key being plugged into the slot. No turning though, just button. Pretty sure I've heard of ones that work at a distance.

James Bond had a car that would turn on its automatic defense system, kick the ass of several bad guy henchmen while standing peacefully parked, and when Bond clicked a button it would start itself and drive to where he waited for it and outmaneuvering two hostile cars while doing so, does that count? :danshiftyeyes:

3 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Suddenly, I wish I had that power. Imagine how cool,and convenient it would be to access the Internet in my head.

Are you sure you want to have to scan your head for malware?  :)

1 minute ago, Vorlonagent said:

Are you sure you want to have to scan your head for malware?  :)

A risk worth taking. Besides, all I have to do is stay away from suspicious sites and downloads and the threat is mostly minimal. Adequate virus protection will cover the rest.

1 hour ago, RainbowWizard said:

On cheating on tests... I feel that he'd have trouble transforming into Cheerleadra whilst in school for an exam. As this is really a side effect of the 'disguise' aspect of his power.

Well if his secret identity is outed, he could change into Cherledra before a test as a "confidence" boost, or even make the claim about drinking and studying with regards to magical transformations, as long as no one knows about the phone part, they would be non the wiser to the googling/cheating, and just think the guy with magical powers is a bit weird(er). 

This would probably also result in Ted taking tests in distraction form, because he can, which I would love to see.

There are cars already available (used, at decent prices) that start for anyone carrying the matching electronic key, even in their pocket or purse, no physical contact needed.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

We were wondering if Elliot would have access to other features on his cellphone when in that form, this is a definite yes.

I'm guessing to take pictures, Elliot would just need to blink while having the intent of saving an image to memory.

Also, this should be a good indication that Elliot should be able to call Ashley or Ellen instead of waiting for them to call.

Definitely. With the GPS explained this way, there is no reason ANY other phone functionality to not work.

8 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Ok, Elliot -- no texting while flying....

Actually, he MAY be able to do it SAFELY.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I'd bet against his being able to drive with the car keys absorbed into his body. The ignition switch in his car has a mechanical component - you have to physically move things around, and the shape of the key sets cams to the point where that's possible.

He would, however, be able to open the car, as THAT is usually remote functionality.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Also, here's another reason he needs to develop a masculinized-female form that looks exactly like him. Get up in the morning, put on a garment that can hold his phone, put phone in garment, transform into the masculinized-female form naked, get dressed, go do something where he's rewarded for knowledge rather than judgment or planning (such as a TV quiz show)...

His other forms can't merge with phone, just the superhero one.

2 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

However, since EGS magicverse works on the "you use it you keep it, you don't you'll weep for it" logic, so maybe he can use this effect whilst in his regular form later.

... for now at least. Just note, it doesn't seem you can actually LOSE ability, but yes, the more you use an ability the more likely is that you get another similar one.

6 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I wonder if this ability works with other stuff he can carry in his pockets. Laser pointer. TV remote. Would carrying a razor knife give him extendable claws?

... worth trying. Although probably not. Also, remember that even Wolverine mentioned that his claws HURT him when extending.

5 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

This is way too many teenage boys dreams come true, to be able to infiltrate and record the goings on of the female washrooms.

Of course, considering he has several female forms AND Ashley who is likely not only ready to try anything but will have several additional ideas, he is not likely to need it.

2 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

It's a good thing Tedd has matured

Matured AND got Grace.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

James Bond had a car that would turn on its automatic defense system, kick the ass of several bad guy henchmen while standing peacefully parked, and when Bond clicked a button it would start itself and drive to where he waited for it and outmaneuvering two hostile cars while doing so, does that count? :danshiftyeyes:

There is also Batmobile. Also, Michael Knight had a car- ... no, I don't thing this kind of cars counts.

2 hours ago, Matoyak said:

It's not quite a port. They're actually versions built from the ground up for those environments, without using any of the Java PC codebase, from what I remember. But yes, Minecraft: Pocket Edition is def a thing.

1 hour ago, Haylo said:

There are cars already available (used, at decent prices) that start for anyone carrying the matching electronic key, even in their pocket or purse, no physical contact needed.

I just recently bought one of these. Its the best thing ever. As long as the key is in the car, it will start at the press of a button. It doesn't even have a slot for the key to go in.

A friend wanted to drive it and see how it handled so we went for a drive. I never gave her the key, kept it in my pocket (near the passenger side door).

Given Elliot can use a cellphone "normally" I'd wafer that he could use this kind of system also.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

His other forms can't merge with phone, just the superhero one.

We don't know that. We do know that, outside of the superhero spell, he can do morphs that change the AMOUNT of clothing he's wearing. Apparently he went from sweatpants and t-shirt to just a nightie (and presumably underpants in each case). So presumably the extra garment became part of him. What if he'd had something in his pockets? Well, he didn't. As far as I can recall, his pocket contents have only been mentioned in the context of his superhero-spell forms.

12 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

I'm betting that one Sidney Scoville would love to be able to abs-orb her powers like that....

*pulls out Looney's list and adds a couple of tick marks*

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

Fortunately, Elliot is too noble to do that without feeling guilty about it.

Elliot is so much of a boyscout he wouldn't be able to even *think* about doing it without huge pangs of guilt.  No way would he be able to get so far as actually *doing* anything.

I do suspect that, now that he has a willing and enthusiastic partner, Elliot will discover that he does not actually fail at perversion.  However, he will likely still feel constrained, for the reasons Nanase explained to Sarah, when he's in male form and Ashley is in female form, or vice versa if Tedd and the TFG get involved....

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

What if he'd had something in his pockets? Well, he didn't. As far as I can recall, his pocket contents have only been mentioned in the context of his superhero-spell forms.

We know that for regular girly-morphs, Elliot's pocket items get transferred to a hidden pocket in the new clothes (or possibly simply ejected onto the floor if the new costume has no space to hold them, e.g. a bikini), since Elliot told Ashley as much after transforming at the mall. Some items do seem to be cosmetically altered to match the new form though--Elliot's cell phone case became pink and cutesy.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... for now at least. Just note, it doesn't seem you can actually LOSE ability, but yes, the more you use an ability the more likely is that you get another similar one.

...which means that one day he may get a "HUD" ability without needing to merge with his phone :D

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

We don't know that. We do know that, outside of the superhero spell, he can do morphs that change the AMOUNT of clothing he's wearing. Apparently he went from sweatpants and t-shirt to just a nightie (and presumably underpants in each case). So presumably the extra garment became part of him. What if he'd had something in his pockets? Well, he didn't. As far as I can recall, his pocket contents have only been mentioned in the context of his superhero-spell forms.

We know that as recently as this story arc that Elliot's phone and likely other pocketed items, usually went into a hidden pocket around the waistband. The "usually" part was probably referring to it not being the case with the super hero form, so Elliot could have been merging with his phone the other times he was Cheerleadra and didn't know it. READ YER DARNED SPELLBOOK ELLIOT!!! ;)

Anyway, it's probably safe to assume that if Elliot morphed into a female with pants instead of a skirt, it's likely any items in the pockets would remain there.

It just occured to me that it is very plausible with so much of Elliot transforming when he transforms, there's a reasonable chance that the teenage boy never needs to bathe again, for any dirt can simply be stored away in whatever dimensional trickery the magic is doing.

Speaking as a man who was once a teenage boy, this can only lead to poor hygiene habits and a slowly descending spiral of acceptance of odours until one's magic stops even trying to hide it.

Obviously this is all someone else's fault if this portent comes to pass.

It would be interesting to see what kind of tech Elliot could incorporate into the Super form.  Perhaps even "Tedd" tech.

Would this tech remain incorporated (and useable) if Elliot changes into a "Secret ID" form?