• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
HarJIT

Story: 2016, April 4th (Monday)

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Considering what they talk about over phones, I suspect that whole main eight have special phones with advanced security features from DGB. Paid by government.

Elliot was using Tedd's phone in that instance, which I would certainly believe has been properly configured by Edward or else he wouldn't feel comfortable discussing Elliot's sudden transformation and the bloodgrem.

If Tedd's phone would be better for this kind of conversation, Elliot likely wouldn't mention leaving his phone home as a reason why he's using Tedd one. Or if he would, Edward would mention that it's good he forgot the phone home. And likely get him secure one afterwards.

(Alternatively, the fact that noone ever cared about phone security since this strip may be explained by Edward doing something with ALL PHONES IN MOPERVILLE.)

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Maybe the money the Dunkels get from "winning the lottery" allows Elliot and Ellen to have unlimited data plans on their phones.

Unlimited data plans are hard to find. ("Unlimited" with restrictions - like your first gig or so is at best available speed and anything after that is at 2G speed, i.e. nearly useless - are somewhat easier.) When they were easier to find, they had a restriction that you couldn't use the phone device as a wifi hotspot - in other words you could stream a movie on your phone but you couldn't use the phone as your internet connection to stream a movie to your PC. Or, as I put it to my daughter, unlimited data plans are deliberately designed to be useless to most people who'll use a lot of data.

Unlimited text and talk plans with reasonable data allowances are not hard to find. Of course, when they say "text" they mean TEXT. Sending a photo via a text message uses some of your data allowance.

8 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Or, as I put it to my daughter, unlimited data plans are deliberately designed to be useless to most people who'll use a lot of data.

It's not like they can actually fullfill their promise if multiple people would buy such plans. The capacity of wireless services is limited. If you use a lot of data, get fiber-optic.

That depends on where you are though, supposedly a lot of areas in the US had fiber lines installed 20-25 years ago but they never actually got around to utilizing it before the dot com bubble burst. Now Google is buying up all this "dark fiber" which is basically how Google Fiber is able to be a thing so quickly.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

That depends on where you are though, supposedly a lot of areas in the US had fiber lines installed 20-25 years ago but they never actually got around to utilizing it before the dot com bubble burst. Now Google is buying up all this "dark fiber" which is basically how Google Fiber is able to be a thing so quickly.

The fact that fiber optic will be always better than wireless at transferring big amount of data doesn't depend on anything. Only method of transferring data which can compete in throughput is to fill several railway cars with tapes or disc ... and latency suck on that one. (Well ... or you can use lasers through air, but that works only in good weather and animal rights activists complains that you are blinding or in case of higher power disfiguring birds.)

The price to get fiber optic to your house depends on lot of things, of course.