• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday July 21, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2376

On 21 July, 2017 Pandora said:

"You're going to make your first proper wand."

I get the feeling that this is something "Someone" was supposed to do with Tedd a long time ago.

And NO. I am not blaming Jeremy for failing to teach Tedd how to make wands.

I do, however, blame Jeremy for failing to teach Tedd basic hunting skills.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

28 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And NO. I am not blaming Jeremy for failing to teach Tedd how to make wands.

I do, however, blame Jeremy for failing to teach Tedd basic hunting skills.

What? Why? Jeremy already did. Keep up, Pharaoh, for Sobek's sake.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora just became one of Tedd's favorite people. She's a mother who's stayed by her son for centuries.

Had not thought of it that way, but, yeah.  Pandora is both Tedd's and Sarah's favorite immortal now.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

What? Why? Jeremy already did. Keep up, Pharaoh, for Sobek's sake.

All that clip demonstrated is that Tedd can pounce, quote movies, and become startled by loud noises.

REAL hunting skills are proven with results.

1.  Get the mouse

2.  Stop The Pigeon

or

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Tedd in one of his catgirl forms could talk with Jeremy.

I'm also wondering what spell is going to go on that wand. 

It is Ted so FV5, start with the one you know best ;)

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

A sweet bonding moment between Pandora and Tedd, and I get the feeling Monday will be the start of a new chapter.

Would Dan switch the action away from Pandora just as she makes her 99th appearance?

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Would Dan switch the action away from Pandora just as she makes her 99th appearance?

Probably, I don't think he's aware of how many appearances she's made, but this feels like a point that Dan would be thinking "this is a good place to end this scene and show what's happening elsewhere."

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Probably, I don't think he's aware of how many appearances she's made, but this feels like a point that Dan would be thinking "this is a good place to end this scene and show what's happening elsewhere."

Also If Dan cared about appearance counts would he include NP and/or Sketchbook appearances? which would bring it over 100 ;)

I imagine maintaining her composure and coherence for an extended period of time would be tiring (it might just be me, but Pandora looks tired in that last panel), which would give her another reason for taking frequent and/or long naps.

2 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Also If Dan cared about appearance counts would he include NP and/or Sketchbook appearances? which would bring it over 100 ;)

NP, arguably (I won't count them) but I only recall one appearance of Pandora in the Sketchbook, and no pinups.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

A sweet bonding moment between Pandora and Tedd, and I get the feeling Monday will be the start of a new chapter.

I would hope we will see what's the idea with the wand but yes it does feel like there will be scene change.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Tedd in one of his catgirl forms could talk with Jeremy.

Not yet. I don't think he can copy Grace's ability to talk with animals and noone else does.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora just became one of Tedd's favorite people. She's a mother who's stayed by her son for centuries.

Funny her son doesn't take it that way.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

but I only recall one appearance of Pandora in the Sketchbook

I suppose you mean "Challenge rating 5?!" as that's hard to forget. But there were more cases for sure.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I suppose you mean "Challenge rating 5?!" as that's hard to forget. But there were more cases for sure.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

MUWAHAHAHA! You fell for my brilliant plan! While you were slaving away searching for Pandoras, I was taking a nap!

That said, I'm voting for more Pandora Pinups, particularly in that Playboy Kitten costume she wore in Escape From the Mall.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Addressing the need for more Pandora in Playboy Kitten outfit.

I get confused when characters if Pandora's power level are described as demigods (referring to one if the links here) as the only definition of Demigod I know of is the one from Greek mythology that of a half-god half-human. And Pandora, while not a Goddess, is definitely closer in power level to one than a Demigod. So I'm curious, what is this alternate definition of a Demigod, and where does it come from?

It's used in a lot of places to describe someone who is probably significantly less powerful than an all-out god (particularly in a monotheistic universe) but considerably more powerful than a master mage.

Put it this way: Pandora is extremely powerful. As compared to a human wizard she has near-infinite power and extremely wide-ranging abilities. But she's constrained by (among other things) the laws of the universe she lives in. A god is even more powerful, and can alter those laws.

3 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Put it this way: Pandora is extremely powerful. As compared to a human wizard she has near-infinite power and extremely wide-ranging abilities. But she's constrained by (among other things) the laws of the universe she lives in. A god is even more powerful, and can alter those laws.

If Tedd can apparently bend worlds to his will, does that make him more powerful than Pandora?

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

If Tedd can apparently bend worlds to his will, does that make him more powerful than Pandora?

In raw power, probably not. With the restraints she chooses to (mostly) follow, Pandora or any other Immortal has a much narrower scope than a human magic user. Lord Tedd's only restraints appear to be the influence of General Shade Tail and Nioi; otherwise he looks like he's already conquered his own world and plans to move on to others, wiping out potential competition from the other Tedds (I wonder if the various Tesses are included.) But we've also had evidence from Jerry, Tedd, and Pandora herself that Immortals that forget their restraints can be incredibly destructive.

There is one thing humans are definitely better at than Immortals or, for that matter, Vampires/Aberrations: teaming up. If my guess is right about the "Will of Magic" being an office or an automaton set up by the Immortals, the biggest motivation for this restriction might be that magical armies could be a danger to the Immortals themselves. Hey, notice that this fits in surprisingly well with the notion of gods continually putting upstart mortals like Adam and Prometheus in their places when they get too uppity?

Looking through that lens, Tedd already has a potential cadre for a magical army of a dozen or so, which we're likely to see in action before the end of this Friday, Moperville Time.

21 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wouldn't be so sure she meant it literally.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Lord Tedd's only restraints appear to be the influence of General Shade Tail and Nioi; otherwise he looks like he's already conquered his own world and plans to move on to others, wiping out potential competition from the other Tedds (I wonder if the various Tesses are included.)

Nioi knows him well and thinks this is not the case ... of course, she may be naive.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Hey, notice that this fits in surprisingly well with the notion of gods continually putting upstart mortals like Adam and Prometheus

Prometheus was Titan, not mortal. And Adam ended much better than Lilith, his first wife. But otherwise yes., the concept of gods fearing humans will surpass them is very old.

22 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It's used in a lot of places to describe someone who is probably significantly less powerful than an all-out god (particularly in a monotheistic universe) but considerably more powerful than a master mage.

Thanks for answering. In a semi-related matter are you familiar with the works of Brandon Sanderson?