• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday July 24, 2017

You know what, I'm happy I'm wrong about thinking there'd be a scene switch, we're getting to learn more about how wands are made, and how non-seers can make them, and maybe Tedd will ask about the last system change.

Hundreds of years ago eh? Anyone wanna revive the theory that it was Genghis Khan's warmongering horde that caused the last system change and plunged the world into the Dark Ages?

Anyone?

Just me?

Ok

So when there is a big magic reset, the available seers record EVERYTHING they can about the new system.

The magic users who are able to adapt to the new system fastest put themselves in positions where they can use this advantage by silencing the seers.

Other seers take the hint and stop recording their insights of the changes in magic.

Although that cycle could be broken if the best seer analyzing the changes in magic was also the most powerful wizard deciding who gets to learn how to use the new magic.

Another possible path to Lord Tedd?

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Although that cycle could be broken if the best seer analyzing the changes in magic was also the most powerful wizard deciding who gets to learn how to use the new magic.

Another possible path to Lord Tedd?

No, though it does explain the ascension to power of Akhenaten.

I'm thinking of another possibly relevant Manga: The Familiar of Zero. Louise the Zero has a reputation as the worst and weakest mage at her academy when the story begins. She turns out to be the most powerful mage on her world. And that just might apply to the Tedds.

14 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

No, though it does explain the ascension to power of Akhenaten.

The spiritual, social, economic, and political power of the various temple cults were supposedly dependent upon the approval of the Pharaoh, being the living embodiment of the gods (usually Ra, but others were included).

In practice, various temples were usurping the Pharaoh's authority.

Amenophis' plot was reclaiming the authority from the temples back to the throne by using a marvelous pretext of Monotheism.  If there is only one god, then these other temples are useless.  Right?

If he was attempting to force a change in magic, it didn't work.  The old system was back in place soon enough.

I'm surprised he's so bashful about "that spell"... in private, lately, he's been pretty open about his passion for TG-ness.  Unless it'd be permanent?  That doesn't seem like a blushing matter, though...

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If he was attempting to force a change in magic, it didn't work.  The old system was back in place soon enough.

Or alternately it worked but just resulted in a new polytheistic system replacing the old one. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

3 hours ago, WR...S said:

I'm surprised he's so bashful about "that spell"... in private, lately, he's been pretty open about his passion for TG-ness.  Unless it'd be permanent?  That doesn't seem like a blushing matter, though...

I wonder if it's more the fact that he doesn't know much about Pandora to feel comfortable talking about it, despite the fact that she knows a fair bit about him, especially enough to know the spell would be suited for him. To Tedd Pandora is someone he just met and she just mentioned a subject that he's only told close friends about and hasn't been able to talk to his dad about it. So I think the blush is more out of embarrassment maybe?

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Hundreds of years ago eh? Anyone wanna revive the theory that it was Genghis Khan's warmongering horde that caused the last system change and plunged the world into the Dark Ages?

Based on Pandora's recolections it needs to be someone who suffered a massive and unexpected defeat. one where their almost everyone on their side of the battle died, I do not think he had any that would qualify. 

My best guess is that it was around the start of the dark ages, possibly a contributing factor to them occurring. Either that or something like the Bronze Age collapse

1 minute ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Based on Pandora's recolections it needs to be someone who suffered a massive and unexpected defeat. one where their almost everyone on their side of the battle died, I do not think he had any that would qualify. 

My best guess is that it was around the start of the dark ages, possibly a contributing factor to them occurring. 

Yeah, I'm just going by the fact that Genghis Khan lived in the 12th-13th century, that would go back a good 800 years, although, I admit I used the term "dark ages" wrong, I had forgotten that the Dark Ages, at least by European history started after the fall of Rome in the 5th century, much earlier than Genghis Khan. But does Pandora's "hundreds of years" mean 1600 years or 800 years? Is Adrian a little over 600 years old, or 1200 year old? Pandora was 156 years old when Adrian was born, the last change happened in Pandora's previous life which if she reset when she was 200 then the change could have been anytime during that 200 year span,maybe it can be narrowed down depending on how fast Pandora's previous self learned how to do certain things or something. Anyway, there would at least be a 156-356 year gap between the last system change and Adrian's birth.

Another thing I'm keeping in mind if the fact that EGS is essentially and alternate universe, the history there doesn't HAVE to line up with ours as evidenced by Ellen's second life where that universe had Uryuoms assisting the Americans in the revolutionary war and apparently WW2 played out quite differently as well, though maybe there wasn't a WW2 in the second life AU and Ellen just knew that Grace wouldn't react well to reading about it. Who knows, Genghis Khan might have failed in his conquest of Asia in the EGS universe.

37 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Based on Pandora's recolections it needs to be someone who suffered a massive and unexpected defeat. one where their almost everyone on their side of the battle died

A dominant military force suffered a massive and unexpected defeat 500 to 1,000 years before the present (Moperville Time).

The Vikings dominated trade and war across Northern Europe.  Their fall from intercontinental relevance to defeat by the Slavs and the Rus would have been about the right time.

Later academics wrote that the Viking decline was due to changing politics, trade, or even climate in Southern Europe.  Later academics also wrote that magic and other "unnatural" events were merely legends.

1 hour ago, Sjmcc13 said:

My best guess is that it was around the start of the dark ages, possibly a contributing factor to them occurring. Either that or something like the Bronze Age collapse

Bronze Age would account for a total lack of historical records about it.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:
1 hour ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Bronze Age would account for a total lack of historical records about it.

That would potentially make Pandora and Adrian MUCH older if that was the last system change.

I wouldn't doubt though that a system change could have been responsible for that event though, I just don't think it would have been the most recent system change that Pandora recalled.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

That would potentially make Pandora and Adrian MUCH older if that was the last system change.

Nonsense. They could be any age after that. It happened in a previous incarnation of Pandora's, and we don't know which one. For all we know that could have been stored knowledge passed down through several subsequent incarnations.

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Nonsense. They could be any age after that. It happened in a previous incarnation of Pandora's, and we don't know which one. For all we know that could have been stored knowledge passed down through several subsequent incarnations.

I dunno, the way Pandora said "memoirs from my...previous self" and Disco Wizard's "Previous self? But magic last changed...." seemed to strongly imply that it was the life just before Pandora's current one. Compare that to when Pandora was talking to Sarah about the lie, Pandora said "Some earlier version of me" which would admittedly be very vague about which past life decided to pass on the lie to the next, could have been her previous life, could have been 5 lives back. Sarah seemed to has assumed previous life as well, but I don't think Pandora would even know what point the lie started to even try to correct Sarah, I doubt Pandora was in the mood to make any expositions about it either.

I feel like saying "my previous self" as opposed to "a previous self" might be a big difference in context.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Genghis Khan might have failed in his conquest of Asia in the EGS universe.

I suspect Dan isn't really a big Alternate HIstory guy, I am. An awful lot of the history leading up to the world we live in depends on Genghis Khan, and I'm not just talking about which battle was fought where and when and who won. A very sizeable portion of the population of Earth seems to be descended from GK. Put that together with all the people back then who didn't leave the same descendants thanks to the efforts of GK and his wacky Mongols and you get quite a different population from ours. It could be another reason that Dan has decreed a ban on Time Travel in EGS is so he won't have to work out the implications of radically different alternate histories.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I feel like saying "my previous self" as opposed to "a previous self" might be a big difference in context.

Disco Wizard might have misunderstood. And I see absolutely no reason why a previous self should not have included information from its previous self in any 'care package' of memories it might leave to its subsequent incarnation. Like taking a tape recording you got from your mother and putting it (or a copy of it) into the stuff you are leaving for your daughter.

That might go a long way towards explaining the long-livedness of the lie Pandora has encountered. It might have been several or even dozens of reincarnations old. When a lie has that much weight of age and tradition behind it, it has an ugly tendency to assume the mass and impact of 'accepted truth never questioned.' *sigh*

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

For all we know all of Pandora's previous selves might have a tendency to push the envelop on resetting. This could be a basic character trait for her... just with a reason this time (though I would think she had reasons before hand if so)