• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday July 24, 2017

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It would need to be LONG assignment if it would be supposed to help with this.

Not really. He was home on Sunday; now it's Friday. If Voltaire is pulling strings on Leifeld and/or Arthur, quite possible to set up.

Or it could be good-old-fashioned coincidence; Edward himself has seen a lot of that. We can be pretty sure Edward can't teleport or fly or he wouldn't have missed the battle with Not-Tengu. He could just be in Washington, staying overnight because his flight is on Saturday morning. Or maybe he's in Europe meeting with someone he doesn't want to talk to Tedd about yet..

I meant that when he returns home, he will certainly take steps to liberate Tedd if they do something to him meanwhile.

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Possibly the idea was that Noriko tries to teach him, finds out she don't know how and then let Adrian to do it.

Possibly. However, it's also quite possible that Adrian was the one who taught magic to Noriko and Edward. Maybe even Nanase's mom, too.

That's not only possible that's almost certain.

30 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It also didn't give him culture references.

Fashion counts as a cultural reference.

I meant the LOTR.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I meant the LOTR.

To be fair to him, the spell was named 'Modern Knowledge', not 'Pop Culture.'

The latter spell strikes me as a little bit frightening and overwhelming. Instant geek. Just add water. :icon_eek:

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sorry, couldn't pass up a pretext, however thin, to bring up Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico!

We would have enjoyed one and a half centuries of peace and prosperity by now if only we had accepted his benevolent rule back then.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We would have enjoyed one and a half centuries of peace and prosperity by now if only we had accepted his benevolent rule back then.

It saddens me to hear that such a kindly and righteous man would merely have abandoned my home to the depredations of the Nazis.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
21 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sorry, couldn't pass up a pretext, however thin, to bring up Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico!

Also, everyone in US would be talking Japan, which anime fans definitely consider positive, right?

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It saddens me to hear that such a kindly and righteous man would merely have abandoned my home to the depredations of the Nazis.

If the US had not gotten involved in World War I, the Nazis probably would not have come to power.

(Or, more directly, if the British and French negotiators at Versailles had either been sane themselves or listened to the British team's economics advisor John Maynard Keynes. Keynes ended up walking out on the negotiating team and in 1919 published an economic history of Europe from 1920 through 1935 or so. Said history was substantially correct. He predicted economic ruin in Germany, continuing until the emergence of a German dictator like Hitler, and a war in Europe even worse than World War I.)

As for Japan... in World War , Japan declared itself allied with Britain and attacked China which wasn't involved in the war - the third time since 1890 it had attacked China. In 1931 Japan attacked China again. In World War II Japan declared itself allied with Germany and attacked China which wasn't involved in the war. Some people think there's a pattern here. Some suspect that if Hitler hadn't endorsed the Japanese alliance and responded to the Pearl Harbor attack by declaring war on the US, then the US would quite possibly have stayed out of Europe; alternatively, if the Japanese had again declared itself allied with Britain, perhaps nobody would have cared what they did to China (and there wouldn't have been so much stress between Japan and the US).

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

If the US had not gotten involved in World War I, the Nazis probably would not have come to power.

(Or, more directly, if the British and French negotiators at Versailles had either been sane themselves or listened to the British team's economics advisor John Maynard Keynes. Keynes ended up walking out on the negotiating team and in 1919 published an economic history of Europe from 1920 through 1935 or so. Said history was substantially correct. He predicted economic ruin in Germany, continuing until the emergence of a German dictator like Hitler, and a war in Europe even worse than World War I.)

What makes you think British and French negotiators would be saner without US? Also, maybe without US, they would be the side which LOST.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

alternatively, if the Japanese had again declared itself allied with Britain, perhaps nobody would have cared what they did to China (and there wouldn't have been so much stress between Japan and the US).

That would be nice, but again, how would that be connected to Emperor Norton?

Also, yes ... I did already read something where Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor was like god's answer to someone in Europe asking for help. Hitler lost Second World War in Pearl Harbor despite not being anywhere near it.

And finally, how would Emperor Norton prevent Soviet Union? Stalin was just as dangerous as Hitler ; if Hitler wouldn't get to power, maybe the war would be with Russia.

(Generally, the tension was there; if the wars wouldn't happened like they did, different triggers would cause different wars).

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

What makes you think British and French negotiators would be saner without US? Also, maybe without US, they would be the side which LOST.

ritian and France losing would probably mean, the conditions that enabled the nazis to seize power would not have existed.   I don't think the Great Depression by itself would have been enough. The situation would especially suck for France, which would have been occupied German territory.

There still might have been a WW2 of some sort, with France trying to regain its independence, probably aided by the USSR and the UK.  And maybe it's Stalin that is so happily appeased in order to maintain "peace in our time" until it all goes south.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

And maybe it's Stalin that is so happily appeased in order to maintain "peace in our time" until it all goes south.

*blink* I don't see even all of these disasters causing the Confederacy to rise again.

...what? :danshiftyeyes:

49 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

*blink* I don't see even all of these disasters causing the Confederacy to rise again.

...what? :danshiftyeyes:

Nah, the Confederacy doesn't rise again until the year 2323 after the Terrans on Tarsonis developed the second generation subwarp engines and colonize more of the Koprulu Sector.

The Protoss had to construct many additional pylons to deal with that mess.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Nah, the Confederacy doesn't rise again until the year 2323 after the Terrans on Tarsonis developed the second generation subwarp engines and colonize more of the Koprulu Sector.

Stupid. They could just have escaped through that CRACK IN THE EVENT HORIZON.

19 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
19 hours ago, Scotty said:

Stupid. They could just have escaped through that CRACK IN THE EVENT HORIZON.

ESCAPE? There is no glory in escape.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:30 AM, The Old Hack said:
On 7/29/2017 at 2:31 AM, hkmaly said:

ESCAPE? There is no glory in escape.

Yeah, and glory is just SO useful. In fact, I think I just stepped in some.

You wouldn't get far in Protoss society. (Or Klingon.)

50 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

You wouldn't get far in Protoss society. (Or Klingon.)

That depends on the level of armament I am packing.

I'm pretty sure blasting your way to throne room doesn't count as obtaining position at court. Unless, of course, you replace the ruler, but then it would be YOUR society, not theirs. And in more advanced societies, it's even harder.

Also, based on what I got during play, I think Protoss were the good guys. At least the Nerazim. Compared to other choices, I mean.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also, based on what I got during play, I think Protoss were the good guys. At least the Nerazim. Compared to other choices, I mean.

Nonsense. The highest honour is to die in the service of the Emperor.