• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Wednesday July 26, 2017

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ellen's existence depends on Elliot in the Moperverse. Ellen has always been Ellen in the Beta universe, and the Second Life universe.

Basically, Ellen is Elliot's alternate. A maximum of one of them ever existed per universe - except in those universes where one touched the Dewitchery Diamond while enchanted.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Basically, Ellen is Elliot's alternate. A maximum of one of them ever existed per universe - except in those universes where one touched the Dewitchery Diamond while enchanted.

Yeah and of the 4 AU's we've seen*, there's no indication that Elliot or Ellen touched the diamond while enchanted, Lord Tedd's universe had Nioi do that.

*the 4 AU's being Lord Tedd's, Beta Tedd's, Second Life, and Magus and Terra's

We know the diamond exists in Lord Tedd's universe because Nioi was supposed to study it, but can we be certain the diamond exists in the other AU's?

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah and of the 4 AU's we've seen*, there's no indication that Elliot or Ellen touched the diamond while enchanted, Lord Tedd's universe had Nioi do that.

Unless you count the Tess universe, and unless Magus really is an alternate Elliot, none of the AUs has shown us another Elliot.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Unless you count the Tess universe, and unless Magus really is an alternate Elliot, none of the AUs has shown us another Elliot.

So maybe it's not so much that Ellen is an alternate of Elliot; rather, Elliot is an alternate of Ellen!

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

So maybe it's not so much that Ellen is an alternate of Elliot; rather, Elliot is an alternate of Ellen!

I accept this as canon.  Makes several other details about Elliot make more sense,

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

But... main universe....how could Elliot be the alternate?

Might not be the main universe, just the one we know about.

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:

For that matter, how do we know that the "Reality" where we reside is actual reality?  Could we be in a parallel, alternate, or simulated reality?

34 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

For that matter, how do we know that the "Reality" where we reside is actual reality?  Could we be in a parallel, alternate, or simulated reality?

It makes no difference to me. As I have stated before, my life philosophy is that I am made up, it is everything else that is real.

It seems obvious to me that being someone's alternate is inherently reciprocal - unless there is a real, objectively verifiable, "original" (or, if you prefer, "base" or "prime") universe.

And even then, some people might exist in various universes but NOT in the "original". So you'd still have some reciprocal alternates.

19 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

It seems obvious to me that being someone's alternate is inherently reciprocal - unless there is a real, objectively verifiable, "original" (or, if you prefer, "base" or "prime") universe.

And even then, some people might exist in various universes but NOT in the "original". So you'd still have some reciprocal alternates.

As the way I understand one theory -- the 'branching worlds' theory -- new worlds come into being at every branch. Do I cook dinner at home, or go to a restaurant this evening? If I do decide to go, what if I happen to meet someone who will become a true friend or my wife that night? Perhaps I would never meet this potentially important influence, or only encounter it much later.

Going on that, each 'new' world is just as valid as the one left behind at the branching point. The only 'Prime' or 'Default' universe would be the starting point, and that would be at the point where nothing had ever happened and everything was yet to happen. With the worlds without end since then, it would be meaningless to attempt to identify any one line as the 'true' one.

I admit that I find the idea of two dimensions that just happen to be very similar but not having a common source a mite hard to swallow. I can not justify this feeling of mine mathematically save in the sense that if you have two different starting points each with a massive number of different outcomes, it strikes me as pretty fantastic that they should somehow end up being so similar as to not only have identical or near-identical dominant species on both words but also near-identical languages, cultures and individuals. *scratches head*

22 hours ago, Scotty said:

We know the diamond exists in Lord Tedd's universe because Nioi was supposed to study it, but can we be certain the diamond exists in the other AU's?

Also, perhaps in some universes Abraham DID tried volcano? Or the diamond might simply be stored out of Tedd's reach.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:
6 hours ago, Scotty said:

But... main universe....how could Elliot be the alternate?

There is no main universe. Well, except Amber.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Base is Chaos.

But, yes, even if we assume existence of main universe, most universes would still be reciprocal alternates.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I admit that I find the idea of two dimensions that just happen to be very similar but not having a common source a mite hard to swallow. I can not justify this feeling of mine mathematically save in the sense that if you have two different starting points each with a massive number of different outcomes, it strikes me as pretty fantastic that they should somehow end up being so similar as to not only have identical or near-identical dominant species on both words but also near-identical languages, cultures and individuals. *scratches head*

Most people have problems with imagining how big infinite can be, yes. You need to realize that the set of all real numbers is relatively small. Still, even if the number of universes would be this small, it could easily include ALL possible finite universes. Or, if you only care about Earth ... there is finitely many combinations how can 6x1024 kg of particles been placed in a grid of 4x1041 x 4x1041 x 4x1041 planck lengths - and while quantum physic can raise the number of possible combinations considerably, one of those wave-collapsed version of earth would always be close enough.

Now, if you want not only fixed point but also matching physical laws and some development on some time interval, that might be problem - big numbers won't help you if the development would violate physical laws. But if it IS possible ...

Nice that in the last two panels we have a crossover to the Ellen Demo NPs. Pandora seems to be building up to separating the clothing modification part of Ellen's spell to making it a separate spell. I can see this leading up to Tedd creating spells from scratch. Hmmm, that would kind of be making him a Will of Magic, wouldn't it...

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd creating spells from scratch

Now I have an image of Tedd in full Chef's gear in a restaurant style kitchen.

Peeling fresh metaphysical vegetables.
Chopping raw esoteric meat.
Sifting ancient mystic spices.
All to create new spells.

And lunch.