• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

NP Weds July 26, 2017

So another modifier ...

... I like this explanation storylines, and I think we still have questions, but Goonmanji 2 might also end up interesting ... and Dan needs his vacation :)

7 hours ago, Stature said:

I actually would have wanted the 3rd person to say "dangit".

So, how to end this grueling, yet fascinating, arc?

Find out Friday!!! ;)

14 hours ago, Tuxfanturnip said:

Ellen's TF magic comes in two EXCITING flavors!

-Laser beams
-Little Doctor

What next, ballistic TF missiles?

I have a D&D mage with an "Intercontinental Magic Missile" spell....

21 hours ago, Tuxfanturnip said:

Ellen's TF magic comes in two EXCITING flavors!

-Laser beams
-Little Doctor

What next, ballistic TF missiles?

It was specifically said that Ellen CANT transform whole planet, so no Little Doctor.

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It was specifically said that Ellen CANT transform whole planet, so no Little Doctor.

Ellen's area-effect ability would be "Little DR" if it recast itself using affected people's minimal stored magic (everybody had some) + ambient energy.  At that point it would be self-sustaining until it ran out of people to affect.

I am aware that this is not how Ellen's area-effect mode actually works.

Power level / scale aside, it's the same mechanism! Just the first thing that popped into my head in association with "weird semi-sciencey chain reaction thing," really. That said, it's always fun to see new delivery mechanisms for magic effects. Potions, runes, beams, and fireballs are so last century. :P

Just now, Tuxfanturnip said:

Power level / scale aside, it's the same mechanism! Just the first thing that popped into my head in association with "weird semi-sciencey chain reaction thing," really. That said, it's always fun to see new delivery mechanisms for magic effects. Potions, runes, beams, and fireballs are so last century. :P

And you never seem to see any magic rings anymore either. They apparently went out of fashion after those blasted hobbits exposed their security loophole to the public. :(

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

And you never seem to see any magic rings anymore either. They apparently went out of fashion after those blasted hobbits exposed their security loophole to the public. :(

"Toss is a volcano"  Not really that big of a loophole, I mean unless you live near one.

Just now, mlooney said:

"Toss is a volcano"  Not really that big of a loophole, I mean unless you live near one.

You would think so, but try and find a magic ring with the ability to rule the world ever since! I checked every single magic shop I could find without coming across even one!

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I wouldn't even call it a loophole, really. It's a matter of OpSec more than anything: Don't let your enemies know what you've planted on them, what your plan with it is, or what it does! There's always a way to destroy something important if you need to. The only exception, of course, is if you don't know that you need to. The only real "loophole" I can think of with magic rings is the big one that you stick you finger in.

Solid things, really; sad to see them neglected. Don't mess with what works.

49 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
51 minutes ago, mlooney said:

You would think so, but try and find a magic ring with the ability to rule the world ever since! I checked every single magic shop I could find without coming across even one!

If you think you could rule the world with One ring you were not paying attention. On the other hand, you are in good company, Saruman made the same mistake.

38 minutes ago, Tuxfanturnip said:

I wouldn't even call it a loophole, really. It's a matter of OpSec more than anything: Don't let your enemies know what you've planted on them, what your plan with it is, or what it does! There's always a way to destroy something important if you need to. The only exception, of course, is if you don't know that you need to.

If anything, ring resistant to fire so much only the volcano could destroy it AND as a bonus influencing the wielder to not toss it there is above average.

On the other hand, some artefacts are even more resistant and you need to throw them into SUN. Or black hole. Those tend to be even harder to find than volcanoes.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Those tend to be even harder to find than volcanoes

Black holes, yeah, hard to find.  Suns, on the other hand, easy to find.  Getting there, on the other hand, is a bit of a bitch.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If you think you could rule the world with One ring you were not paying attention. On the other hand, you are in good company, Saruman made the same mistake.

Not the One Ring, goldarnit, I told you it had already been destroyed before this sudden Ring drought we've been stuck in since. I couldn't even find a simple Green Lantern ring. They just aren't in vogue anymore.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I couldn't even find a simple Green Lantern ring. They just aren't in vogue anymore.

A political special interest group in the Perseus Super Cluster organized a boycott for reasons I can't understand and somehow Earth's Vogue Magazine ended up on that list.  The Guardians of the Universe pulled all their advertising.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A political special interest group in the Perseus Super Cluster organized a boycott for reasons I can't understand and somehow Earth's Vogue Magazine ended up on that list.  The Guardians of the Universe pulled all their advertising.

I might have to do with discrimmination.  Inhabitants of Earth, a pre-interstellar civilization, have at my last count, been given a total of 5 green rings.  And it's not just green Lantern rings.  Earth seems to sop up Larntern rings of all colors.   One Orange Lantern ring in the entire universe and it ends up with a human at one point. 

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There! This is what I am talking about! And the Guardians don't even get their rings dumped in volcanoes! How am I supposed to even find a decent magic ring under these conditions?

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I might have to do with discrimmination.  Inhabitants of Earth, a pre-interstellar civilization, have at my last count, been given a total of 5 green rings.  And it's not just green Lantern rings.  Earth seems to sop up Larntern rings of all colors.   One Orange Lantern ring in the entire universe and it ends up with a human at one point. 

Yes, and that attitude is totally out of proportion. Even Sauron gave humans nine rings. For that matter, he gave seven to the dwarves and helped the elves forge three more. If you include his own, that's twenty rings in all. What would a couple of handfuls of Lantern rings matter against that? But nooooooooo.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yes, and that attitude is totally out of proportion. Even Sauron gave humans nine rings. For that matter, he gave seven to the dwarves and helped the elves forge three more. If you include his own, that's twenty rings in all. What would a couple of handfuls of Lantern rings matter against that? But nooooooooo.

So Sauron was more generous to Earth than the self-proclaimed "Guardians of the Universe"...

6 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

So Sauron was more generous to Earth than the self-proclaimed "Guardians of the Universe"...

The Guardians of the Universe are a lot like the Jedi council.  They claim to be working for peace and justice, but they are really just perpetuating the status quo.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Guardians of the Universe are a lot like the Jedi council.  They claim to be working for peace and justice, but they are really just perpetuating the status quo.

It's really sad that when you compare Sauron to the Guardians and the Jedi Council, he is actually the progressive.

15 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

It's really sad that when you compare Sauron to the Guardians and the Jedi Council, he is actually the progressive.

That's kind of a dynamic built into the basic hero-villain conflict.  The villain is always a threat to the status-quo and the hero is obliged to support it.  Comics have tried to get away from or subvert this to some degree and the value of their work has tended to decline as a result.